• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Ghazi

lol do you guys remember how, in an interview with OXM, 343 said they'd be handling most MP things in house and said they were considering outsourcing a little bit if any at all to CA. What BS that turned out to be haha.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
looooooooool oh boy are they trying to pump these map packs out while anyone still cares about the game. How many people bought Crimson? 19? 30? A noble attempt at milking the community but really who gives enough of a shit anymore to buy these turds. Next Xbox is this year, big releases are hitting soon. Everyone already forgot about Halo 4.

Wait, you know we've known about all 3 packs for months now right (including the size of said maps)? Also other Halo games had 3 packs or more right? How is this just now "milking" and what makes these maps bad aside from your dislike of Halo 4 in general?

You're better than this Kyle.

FyreWulff

Nice to see trueskill isn't even remotely close to working properly

I always get the most useless team mates. I'm convinced it doesn't even exist in the game.

If you're talking about your recent Extraction games, you've played nine games of Extraction total, finishing 5 of them, and winning 2 of them. Estimating of the Trueskill minimum amount of games needed, you'll need to play about 60 games in the playlist before TS is sure of your skill.

tl;dr working as designed, as in the system doesn't know enough about you yet and you should probably stop quitting out of games as that's getting recorded as a loss in TS.

Tawpgun

Well... I'm kinda disappointed 343 decided to dump a huge swath of BTB maps on us instead of AT LEAST trying to make it even.

Lets look at the playlists.

BTB Playlists: BTB, Dominion.

That's it. Ragnarok and Complex show up in some of the smaller ones but come ON.

That 6 v 6 playlist is probably BTB Objective. But why is it 6 v 6? I would be so hyped for these maps if they would just fix BTB also. Weapons on map. Set loadouts. Please and thanks.

That being said, I'm looking forward to trying them out at PAX. The one ODST like map looks cool.

They keep insisting on adding badly designed structures to maps just so they can use them for Dominion.

It's like designing for Invasion all over again.

m23

looooooooool oh boy are they trying to pump these map packs out while anyone still cares about the game. How many people bought Crimson? 19? 30? A noble attempt at milking the community but really who gives enough of a shit anymore to buy these turds. Next Xbox is this year, big releases are hitting soon. Everyone already forgot about Halo 4.

We knew about the release dates since last year for the map packs.

I'm not too much for BTB so I don't know how much I'll get to enjoy these maps.

Gui_PT

If you're talking about your recent Extraction games, you've played nine games of Extraction total, finishing 5 of them, and winning 2 of them. Estimating of the Trueskill minimum amount of games needed, you'll need to play about 60 games in the playlist before TS is sure of your skill.

tl;dr working as designed, as in the system doesn't know enough about you yet and you should probably stop quitting out of games as that's getting recorded as a loss in TS.

First of all, that's stalking

Second, It's just not in that playlist

Third, I was joking on that first part but that really is stalking. Please don't do that again.

Overdoziz

Banned

Does your TrueSkill in other playlists influence your match-ups in new playlists at all? Would make sense if it did.

NOKYARD

Perdition
Jo4m9YF.png

Hopefully they provide a decent selection of forge items so we can block of parts of the map. Looks like a good base map for asymmetrical 4v4.

How about we stick to Halo here?
Otherwise some moron is going to spoil something from S03 or from the books.
I made a deal with my girlfriend. I would watch Homeland (didn't tell her i wanted to...) if she watched Game of Thrones. We just started Season 1 of each. Please, no spoilers.

FyreWulff

Does your TrueSkill in other playlists influence your match-ups in new playlists at all? Would make sense if it did.

Nope

edit: this is also the reason why Arena did not assign you a division until you played 30 games. They were forcing you to wait until you fed TS enough information before they showed you the division, which was based off your TS. They weren't using the modified hill-climb TS from Halo 3 anymore, they were using a more pure TS, which meant if they let you see your division or (theoretical) 1-50, it would be wildy jumping up and down for your first batch of games. People would just account restart until they got a lucky 50 after ~8 games.

GhaleonEB

Seriously, don't do that again.

Why? I've seen the same thing done hundreds of times over the years. Someone makes an observation, and that observation is put into the context of their public game history on bungie.net (now Waypoint). There's nothing stalker-y about it.

Gui_PT

Why? I've seen the same thing done hundreds of times over the years. Someone makes an observation, and that observation is put into the context of their public game history on bungie.net (now Waypoint). There's nothing stalker-y about it.

It was just creepy. Besides I wasn't talking about the Extraction playlist. Happens across all playlists.

Karl2177

Nope

edit: this is also the reason why Arena did not assign you a division until you played 30 games. They were forcing you to wait until you fed TS enough information before they showed you the division, which was based off your TS.

Yet Starcraft can do it after 5 matches. Admittedly, there's a lot that goes into MMR versus TrueSkill, but it would be much better if each game custom tailored their ranking/matching system to what the game actually does instead of just using TrueSkill for every type of game.

FyreWulff

Yet Starcraft can do it after 5 matches. Admittedly, there's a lot that goes into MMR versus TrueSkill, but it would be much better if each game custom tailored their ranking/matching system to what the game actually does instead of just using TrueSkill for every type of game.

Looking it up, Starcraft 2's system appears to be a hybrid ELO-TSstyle system where they have the laddery part in ELO but then also an uncertainty factor where they speed up your ELO climb in early games. Looks neat.

You're required to use TS on 360 titles though, so maybe MS has a TS improvement or replacement in mind for the next Xbox?

Damnit. When I thought I could unlock the "Bros to the Close" achievement a marine had died and I didn't notice it, but I retrieved Cortana already. No Revert to last Checkpoint. Shit. :/

Im pretty sure Halo 3 action sack had fiesta in it, and while Halo 3 did have some fun gametypes, most of the fun ones took awhile to actually get put in.

I remember one on Sandbox. Enemy team was in the sky bubble and had to snipe the enemy team down below in the map, and you had to lead your VIP to the objective.

That mode was actually fun and didn't pop up enough

Hey You

I ask every time there's a major event, TU/Map pack etc. As I'm wondering why these take priority over 1-50.

Map packs and events make money, Ranking system does not. Plus it may just be a small portion (but very vocal) of the Halo community that wants a 1-50 ranking system.

Mix

My piece of shit dog ate my Halo 4 disc yesterday... ha ha Ha Ha HAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Fucking dog fuck face.

IHaveIce

Banned
That mode was actually fun and didn't pop up enough
Exactly! Good opinoon there bobs, these are the gametypes I want in AS

lol do you guys remember how, in an interview with OXM, 343 said they'd be handling most MP things in house and said they were considering outsourcing a little bit if any at all to CA. What BS that turned out to be haha.
Yep, aren't there almost more outsourced maps than inhouse maps now in Halo 4?

Fuchsdh

yea that is what i was thinking and maybe a little bit of turf.
Turf was the immediate thought for me. I always wanted a larger version if that map, maybe this will scratch that itch.

Those tanks better be symmetrical spawns or a single one in a truly neutral location though, otherwise I suspect we can look forward to more Exile-type frustration.

Karl2177

Ughhhh... I think my disc drive is finally crapping out. I can't open it unless there is a disc in it and now my copy of Halo 4 has a bunch of rings around the outside. Does anyone know if Gamestop has a disc replacement policy or if MS has a replacement service?

You should check out District from Halo 2 Vista. Such a shame this map was never available on the Xbox version.

sbZSZL7.jpg

Really, Because I'm going to be honest. It was fucking shit.

SP location with a multistory car pack and some connecting roads does not a MP map make.

Had virtually no map flow, Horrible weapons spawn points and some horrible sections to move around in.

Its basically a shitter bigger version of Terminal.

ElRenoRaven

Really, Because I'm going to be honest. It was fucking shit.

SP location with a multistory car pack and some connecting roads does not a MP map make.

Had virtually no map flow, Horrible weapons spawn points and some horrible sections to move around in.

Its basically a shitter bigger version of Terminal.

yea I wouldn't say it was total shit but it wasn't near as good as the maps Bungie made. I agree that it really had no flow to it and the parking garage was the weirdest thing ever to have in the game. It was interesting though to play around in when just screwing around.

darthbob

Ughhhh... I think my disc drive is finally crapping out. I can't open it unless there is a disc in it and now my copy of Halo 4 has a bunch of rings around the outside. Does anyone know if Gamestop has a disc replacement policy or if MS has a replacement service?

Microsoft does in fact. But if you're expecting it to be free, it isn't.

kylej

Banned
Wait, you know we've known about all 3 packs for months now right (including the size of said maps)? Also other Halo games had 3 packs or more right? How is this just now "milking" and what makes these maps bad aside from your dislike of Halo 4 in general?

You're better than this Kyle.

Of course we've known about them for months now.; they were probably done before release.

And yes, all other Halo games had 3 packs or more. Let's look at the release schedule for Halo 3:

December 11, 2007
April 15, 2008
April 9, 2009
February 2, 2010

Halo 4:

December 10, 2012
February 25, 2013
April 8, 2013

This is outsourced garbage they're trying to throw to the fanbase as quick as possible before people stop caring.

Same here. Im assuming your model is the Arcade bundle? My Xbox does exactly what you've mentioned. Upgrading to the Slim.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Of course we've known about them for months now.; they were probably done before release.

And yes, all other Halo games had 3 packs or more. Let's look at the release schedule for Halo 3:

December 11, 2007
April 15, 2008
April 9, 2009
February 2, 2010

Halo 4:

December 10, 2012
February 25, 2013
April 8, 2013

This is outsourced garbage they're trying to throw to the fanbase as quick as possible before people stop caring.

Or we felt that the breaks between DLC releases for previous games were too long based on player feedback and behaviors.

"We need more maps!"

"Stop milking the franchise by releasing maps!"

To each their own.

Top Bottom