• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Ultimately they're making the game and you choose to buy it or not. Arguing for the ability to change everything in the game seems like a tall order for a developer to cater to. Also, your conspiracy theory about "forum settings revolution" just seems... odd.

It's not asking for 'everything' though. I was referring specifically to weapon damage sliders, so if, say, one wanted to have a four shot BR (not a tall order when you can change a whole host of other mechanics in the game), one could do so without ending up with a one-shot kill anywhere sniper rifle and grenades that are fatal even when fully shielded.

Also, not a conspiracy theory.

Havok

Upcoming TU had better include a JIP toggle. Joining a game in progress that's 4-0, having it end immediately, and then next round going into a JIP game of Settler Infinity CTF is just about the shittiest sequence of events in the history of man.

Ken

Upcoming TU had better include a JIP toggle. Joining a game in progress that's 4-0, having it end immediately, and then next round going into a JIP game of Settler Infinity CTF is just about the shittiest sequence of events in the history of man.

Never. JiP is perfect and working as intended. :D

Nebula

JIP should have been implemented in BTB and that's it. At the very least, games past the half way point (in score) should be unjoinable.

Remember that Easter egg on Midnight I teased earlier, that no one found?

Someone found it today.

Watch and be amazed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpi4f4Kvo8Y&feature=player_embedded

What a fucking shit easter egg. Legitimately the worst easter eggs iv ever seen are in Halo 4.

I mean whats special about that? 3 battle rifles? you get BR's anyway in midnight.

It might as well not even be a thing.

Hey, their is still 2 more known (to me) easter eggs on Midnight left

If they are the same level of quality no one wants to know.

Fuchsdh

What a fucking shit easter egg. Legitimately the worst easter eggs iv ever seen are in Halo 4.

I mean whats special about that? 3 battle rifles? you get BR's anyway in midnight.

You're right. Your life was ruined because of this Easter egg. All is lost.

TCKaos

It'd be cool to get periodic weapon drops from the Sentinel. It'd make the Chief having a BR in the last cutscene make sense because there's no way that anyone managed to keep that shit through the entire encounter. No way.

Tawpgun

Shoot a portal with any weapon in morse code spelling out "RIP Halo" on the first monday of the month at 3pm PST, get a free light rifle!

You're right. Your life was ruined because of this Easter egg. All is lost.

Way to completely miss the point.

Halo games have always had pretty great Easter eggs dating back to CE.

Things like the skulls in H2 and H3, The tribute room in Halo Reach, The Scarab Gun, Buck and the monkey, Chief in Reach. The list is huge.

Halo 4's Easter eggs are not only dire but encouraging the community to hunt them is terrible when they turn out to be a spawn of a weapon that is already obtainable in that mission. The point of Easter egg hunting was the reward even if it was something as small a a funny bit of dialogue or 2 seconds cameo. When the reward is something already obtainable it might as well just class every weapon spawn in the game an Easter egg. It stinks of laziness like they couldn't be bothered to create actual content for the Easter eggs like Bungie did but they had to fill that "Easter Egg Quota" to keep fans happy.

The Midnight Egg could have been fantastic if it had even a little bit of work put into it, There's 2 portals on that mission and either one could have taken you to a secret location or you could have given the player a super gun. Encountered a friendly elite that has some funny dialogue or a bunch of lost Spartan IV's ect.

Way to completely miss the point.

Halo games have always had pretty great Easter eggs dating back to CE.

Things like the skulls in H2 and H3, The tribute room in Halo Reach, The Scarab Gun, Buck and the monkey, Chief in Reach. The list is huge.

Halo 4's Easter eggs are not only dire but encouraging the community to hunt them is terrible when they turn out to be a spawn of a weapon that is already obtainable in that mission. The point of Easter egg hunting was the reward even if it was something as small a a funny bit of dialogue or 2 seconds cameo. When the reward is something already obtainable it might as well just class every weapon spawn in the game an Easter egg. It stinks of laziness like they couldn't be bothered to create actual content for the Easter eggs like Bungie did but they had to fill that "Easter Egg Quota" to keep fans happy.

The Midnight Egg could have been fantastic if it had even a little bit of work put into it, There's 2 portals on that mission and either one could have taken you to a secret location or you could have given the player a super gun. Encountered a friendly elite that has some funny dialogue or a bunch of lost Spartan IV's ect.

That's all well and good but I would have bet that, had we gotten what you had described, people would have complained that they had enough time to put so much effort into Easter Eggs and yet there are legacy features missing.

That's all well and good but I would have bet that, had we gotten what you had described, people would have complained that they had enough time to put so much effort into Easter Eggs and yet there are legacy features missing.

But its not like we got legacy features instead, the poor easter eggs is just another one of the problems Halo 4 has.

kylej

Banned
rip booties
rip.gif

But its not like we got legacy features instead, the poor easter eggs is just another one of the problems Halo 4 has.

But you're missing my point. I am saying if all that changed was we got better Easter Eggs, people would blame those for the lack of features. Look at how much slack the Grunt Lunch thing got the game and that didn't even make it into the game. Can you imagine how peeved people would be to see similarly elaborate easter eggs without other key features?

It's a bit disingenuous to say we should have gotten better easter eggs right now quite frankly.

Include sliders in Halo 5 for damage per weapon, melee, grenade, speed, jump, gravity, momentum etc.
Allow for properties for every weapon to be adjusted. Damage, firerate, clip size, bloom, spread, autoaim, red reticle distance.

Allow options for no sprint and just about anything else that used to be in the game since Halo CE.

60 fps obviously

Options for different melee systems. Reach, CE, 2-3-4.

Options for vehicle health, tied to player, seperate, how much.

and so on and so on.

THE PEOPLES HALO.

I'll take this just one step further. Copy BF3's concept of rent-a-server for H5 and give us as many customization options as humanly possible. Give the game over to the community completely and watch what happens.

Magic.

But you're missing my point. I am saying if all that changed was we got better Easter Eggs, people would blame those for the lack of features. Look at how much slack the Grunt Lunch thing got the game and that didn't even make it into the game. Can you imagine how peeved people would be to see similarly elaborate easter eggs without other key features?

It's a bit disingenuous to say we should have gotten better easter eggs right now quite frankly.

Some of the more elaborate easter eggs i suggested like a dedicated secret room would require lots of work and yeah i can see how something like legacy features would be more important to have.

But a single elite spawn with a few lines of unique dialogue or a super weapon? both those could have been accomplished just as easily as this BR easter egg was.

Instead of a BR spawn it could have spawned a Invincible Spartan IV and assault rifle that fired railgun shots. Weapon drops are the bare minimum in creativity. It would not have removed people from working on legacy features because

A. Legacy features are not in the game
B. The people who work on implementing things like campaign theater are very likely not going to mission designers.

I'm right with you in saying that easter eggs are the least of the problems with the game but never the less they are still a problem.

I just got around to seeing The Henery's clip. That was awesome!

Thanks Batverine man

The Terminals not being on the disc would be even more shitstorm worthy in that context.

IHaveIce

Banned
boner is a term for an erect penis

Lol at people legitimately upset about Easter eggs they didn't even find.
2 heckfu posts I had to laugh out loud at work.

Yeah the easter eggs are disappointing but there are quite more problems with the campaign features.
If they didn't have the time for campaign scoring, theater and terminals on disc I would be quite shocked if they had the tine for enormous easter eggs

Also RIP in peace booties, what did he do?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
PC version right? Im tired to see the horribles textures of this console gen.

Of course. They're not going to show "last gen" shit especially for a game that get its dick sucked because of the graphics. (Which are pretty bananas on the highest settings)

Fuchsdh

Thanks Batverine man

The Terminals not being on the disc would be even more shitstorm worthy in that context.
Not really. The issue with the Terminals was that they weren't complete in time to be integrated into the game. That's a failure of scheduling or oversight or QA, but i doubt that would impact people making eggs.

At some point it gets into absurd reduction. "How dare they put in Megg or the thirsty grunt, because they cut Flood forms and Engineers in CE!"

Tawpgun

Not really. The issue with the Terminals was that they weren't complete in time to be integrated into the game. That's a failure of scheduling or oversight or QA, but i doubt that would impact people making eggs.

At some point it gets into absurd reduction. "How dare they put in Megg or the thirsty grunt, because they cut Flood forms and Engineers in CE!"
it was probably a rush job like almost everything else seemed to be in this game.

They nailed that core gameplay down and just rushed to add stuff on top of it, probably struggling to balance it all, and not having time for file shares, forge, options, gametypes etc

the easter egg is you get three normal BRs?!?!!

who thought that was cool/interesting? the leadup with the sentinel made me think we were gonna see something kickass.

Fuchsdh

it was probably a rush job like almost everything else seemed to be in this game.

They nailed that core gameplay down and just rushed to add stuff on top of it, probably struggling to balance it all, and not having time for file shares, forge, options, gametypes etc

As someone who does motion graphics, I can fully expect that the Terminals ran into some production issues that would have been hard to forsee. They make the CEA terminals look like child's play in comparison.

Again, not saying it was optimal or that there shouldn't have been more work out into preventing that eventuality, but I can still see how it happened.

Omni

BF4 on next gen systems is probably the single game that I'm looking forward to at the moment. 64 players? Yessssss please.

Yeah the problem with that is the ego's of the devs and their vision. A damage slider for individual weapons is something which I've seen requested on forums for years now. It's the thing you'll almost certainly never see in Halo. Bungie gave a really, really weak and frankly phony reason for not including it. Their reasoning was something along the lines of "When people go into a custom game, they need to know how the weapon will perform" (paraphrasing). This doesn't make sense when you can adjust melee damage, jump height, movement speed, only headshots are kills etc in custom games.

Remember in Snyder's blog, the piece about locally buffing a weapon just to see how it played out? "WE CAN'T WORK LIKE THIS".

Maybe they don't want Johnny public rebalancing their weapon sandbox, even in custom games. I could imagine a scenario where somebody would make better individual weapon settings across the board; they'd gain momentum in the community, there'd be demands for their inclusion in MM and suddenly the devs game, and everything they 'intended' would be blanched by a community effort. And you know how highly some value 'developer intent'.

I'm aware that 3, 5 and 7 are unlikely. Doesn't mean I can't hope :)

Also Booties banned wut

I may be way off base, but I feel like if Halo was a PC franchise first and a console franchise second, this might be more realistic. I feel like the general openness of a game to modding/tweaking is based on how much of a PC base the developer has. Given that Halo is really an Xbox only franchise, it's surprisingly how much customizability it has.

Maybe if he Steam Halo rumors are true it'll open up the doors for better a community relationship in the future.

RIP Booties

He was thread shitting which is clearly not allowed.

Tunavi

Banned
I just showed my girlfriend 60 FPS versus 30 in bioshock and she said, "why would anyone ever want it choppy like that?"

your move, 343.

Really. Whether they were right or not, at least someone would inevitably say "Maybe if they weren't sitting around concocting elaborate 'Easter eggs' that 0.01% of the fanbase cares about they would have completed the terminals in time. Focus on the main story first then surplus fluff".

Top Bottom