• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I'm probably looking way too hard into this(as I do a lot of things), but I was looking at David Ellis' Twitter and I saw his Twitter bio changed to this:

"Designer at 343 Industries. Worked on Spartan Ops for Halo 4. You might remember me from 1UP & (the original) EGM, but that was another life."

The thing that caught my eye was "Worked on Spartan Ops for Halo 4"
I remember it saying something like "Spartan Ops Designer at 343i" before Season 1 ended.

Like I said, probably blowing this out of proportion, but I'm just not seeing a Season 2.

Perhaps he's working on another project at the moment?

Nowise10

I'm probably looking way too hard into this(as I do a lot of things), but I was looking at David Ellis' Twitter and I saw his Twitter bio changed to this:

"Designer at 343 Industries. Worked on Spartan Ops for Halo 4. You might remember me from 1UP & (the original) EGM, but that was another life."

I remember it saying something like "Spartan Ops Designer at 343i" before Season 1 ended, can't remember 100%.

Like I said, probably blowing this out of proportion, but I'm just not seeing a Season 2.

I like to creep on davids proile sometimes too

Madness

I remember it saying something like "Spartan Ops Designer at 343i" before Season 1 ended, can't remember 100%.

What do you expect? Spartan Ops didn't pan out quite like they hoped. But they got valuable experience and knowledge regarding episodic content. I bet Halo 5 will have an upgraded spartan ops experience. After the success of the walking dead, I would bet many game studios are looking into dlc like this.

I don't think we'll see a spartan ops season 2, who would actually fork out the cash? I mean the numbers for crimson and majestic weren't as good either.

Don't get me wrong I think Ellis and his team really finished the first season strongly, and I'm sure they'd have carried the quality onto season 2, but I think for now spartan ops is done.

On a side note, just got 32 kills in a swat match on complex and the rest of my team couldn't even break double digits. Trueskill?

Moa

What do you expect? Spartan Ops didn't pan out quite like they hoped. But they got valuable experience and knowledge regarding episodic content. I bet Halo 5 will have an upgraded spartan ops experience. After the success of the walking dead, I would bet many game studios are looking into dlc like this.

I don't think we'll see a spartan ops season 2, who would actually fork out the cash? I mean the numbers for crimson and majestic weren't as good either.

Don't get me wrong I think Ellis and his team really finished the first season strongly, and I'm sure they'd have carried the quality onto season 2, but I think for now spartan ops is done.

On a side note, just got 32 kills in a swat match on complex and the rest of my team couldn't even break double digits. Trueskill?

Suppose, one can only take so many eggheads, crimson and buttons at once.

Happy birthday Cyren!

On a side note, the new Galaxy S4 makes my galaxy S3 feel like a piece of outdated junk. Damn Canada and their three year contracts.

Three year contracts? jeeze, In the US it's 2 year contracts and it still seems to outdates phones early into their contracts.

Nowise10

Please, PLEASE! Be Forgeworld 2!!!! I feel so inclosed on those other Forge maps.

This is a picture they posted on Valentines day. It was a Forge related pun, on a map we haven't seen.

valentines_04-22_zps44e84b32.jpg

Confirmed not Spartan Ops map by David Ellis.

42HmWZB.png

Doesnt look like Ravine, just go play on the map and compare the two.

in last Nights Bulletin, BS angle said

IH6UlPQ.png

Anvils, as in Forge (The main icon for Forge is an Anvil)

And today, Vic Deleon (343i employee, creates the environments you play on in the game, great guy btw) tweeted BS angle this picture

NJWWQpM.png

So yes, Forgeworld 2 bro.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
This is a picture they posted on Valentines day. It was a Forge related pun, on a map we haven't seen.

42HmWZB.png

IH6UlPQ.png

And today, Vic Deleon (343i employee, creates the environments you play on in the game, great guy btw) tweeted BS angle this picture

NJWWQpM.png

Ooh, perhaps it'll have the Siege Bike and VTOL? And stick a Mammoth or an Elephant on it. = Best Forge map ever.

42HmWZB.png

IH6UlPQ.png

NJWWQpM.png

Well this caught me off guard. Wtf. New stuff incoming.

Cool.

gAg CruSh3r

These forge maps are LITERALLY 10x better than everything we got in Reach. All we need is Sanctuary proper to get added and maybe a Warlock/Wizard remake.

I agree, I enjoy the forge maps on halo 4. I just feel like there is not enough flat lands and open spaces in those maps. Impact is the only one that has this but it's not that much tho.

Rtas

Has anyone else been experiencing trouble going to the 343 website? Every time I try and connect to it I get Error 500 server errors. Cleared cache and has happened on every pc I've tried it on

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Maybe it's me and maybe it's because I'm tired but can someone tell me if this makes any sense at all?

Not to be a downer , but we won't have any in game ranks other than exp. based ranks. I have stated in other topics this same reason but no one seams to listen or want to accept my answer. MS doesn't want in game ranks b/c they don't want another Halo game they have to turn off servers for to make you play something else.

Halo 2 was two things to MS , a huge success and draw for the Xbox , and a huge lesson in how not to make money. MS isn't giving you visible ranks because they want you to buy Halo 5 when it comes out , (which might back fire) , but if they give you visible CSR most won't. Blame MS for this decision , for it is truly MS making it , remember , who owns Halo should get the blame for this kind of decision , not the people following orders.

IHaveIce

Banned
Maybe it's me and maybe it's because I'm tired but can someone tell me if this makes any sense at all?

No I cant but I also had to read today in gandhi's stream that the only difference between pros and casuals in Halo 2 was the ability to do the double shot

Halo 3 servers are up and even Halo 4 with ingame ranking system wouldnt keep players like Halo 2 did lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Looks to me like they are saying ranks are bad for business because people become attached to what they've earned. Thus a game with ranks will inhibit its successor

Kind of like people not wanting to jump to other mmos because of time investment.

CyReN

Happy birthday Cyren!

And a happiest of birthdays to dear Cyren.

Happy birthday Cyren, you loveable doofus.

Happy birthday Cyren!

Happy birthday Cyren, Heckfu and Bobs

Happy birthday Cyren <3

Thanks.

--------

ForgeWorld sounds great, wish it would be more Covenant or Promethean playground instead of something we had before. That's me though.

FyreWulff

That doesn't make any sense at all. Halo 2 Xbox went down with the rest of the Xbox Original ship, not because they had issues getting people over to Halo 3. Each Halo continues to decimate the population of the previous. They don't have the CoD "problem" of the last game not being replaced for two years.

These forge maps are LITERALLY 10x better than everything we got in Reach. All we need is Sanctuary proper to get added and maybe a Warlock/Wizard remake.

I don't see how you can come to that conclusion. The natural terrain in Halo 4's forge maps is nearly unusable. And if you want to make a big team map? Forget it.

Tawpgun

I don't see how you can come to that conclusion. The natural terrain in Halo 4's forge maps is nearly unusable. And if you want to make a big team map? Forget it.

Because of the maps in Throwdown/Dubs/some that were in the community forge test.

And you wanna know why? A lot of them were simple, symmetrical, small, and most of all, had STATIC WEAPON SPAWNS.

it makes no sense. It completely ignores the fact that if the next game is better people will buy it. Simply having visible ranks doesn't make people stay, people just play the better game. Lets say Halo 4 gets visible ranks, that wouldn't keep people from playing Halo 5 if Halo 5 was a good game that also had visible ranks.

Also his halo 2 argument was flawed. Sure, Halo 2 had an active community even during Halo 3's life span, but it wasn't anything significant in comparison to Halo 3.

Because of the maps in Throwdown/Dubs/some that were in the community forge test.

And you wanna know why? A lot of them were simple, symmetrical, small, and most of all, had STATIC WEAPON SPAWNS.

Oh. If what's being said is that the maps people have map with forge is Halo 4 are superior, then sure. I thought what was being said was the without any placed objects, Halo 4's three forge maps are superior to the forge world from Reach. The layout of the maps themselves, not what people do with them.

static weapon spawns are so refreshing, I want to see them on more maps outside of throwdown
it really makes a huge difference

Madness

Who is tashi quoting though? It doesn't make much sense to me, because without ranks, I'll quit playing the game much sooner and probably not care about it going forward.

So in a sense, yes they will sell shit tons of copies, but you'll have a declining population, much like Reach and now Halo 4 have shown.

Ranks aren't just for the Gandhi or Ninja pro's, but for everyone who wants some type of feedback as to whether they are improving as a player or not. I don't care about armor, i don't care about grinding for exp, I would however like to gauge my progress as a player.

I'd like to know I'm only a level 35 player, so that I know where I stand, and can try and improve myself. For the folks who don't want ranks, they have social playlists.

Booshka

If the skill gap wasn't so small you wouldn't need ranks to tell you were getting better. You should be able to sense your own improvement, but since most of the game is a random mess, it's hard to tell what you are getting better at, if you are getting better at all.

Madness

If the skill gap wasn't so small you wouldn't need ranks to tell you were getting better. You should be able to sense your own improvement, but since most of the game is a random mess, it's hard to tell what you are getting better at, if you are getting better at all.

Yes you would. Just because I keep going +9 each match doesn't tell me anything. What rank were the people I was up against? Were the teams even?

That was the good thing about Halo 3, when you would keep beating people that were close to your rank and moving up. And sometimes, it felt good as a colonel winning clutch matches against a team of brigadiers or generals in team slayer.

It's very hard to gauge real improvement because there are so many playlists and because we have other things going on. Sure I can tell that I'm playing better now than I was at launch, that doesn't mean anything to me.

What's even worse is, before I could have bungie.net open on a laptop near me and quickly search my gamer tag or people I'm up against and get some quick info. But waypoint is slow and a mess and requires sign in. The new bungie is even more confusing as well. Here's hoping some type of state tracking like the waypoint app are built in to the next game as are ranks.

I don't know how else to explain it, I need ranks more than I need a grind based exp bar that makes me feel like a hamster on a wheel. I'm not even that good anymore compared to the Halo 2 days.

DeadNames

Banned
Happy (late) birthday Cyren!

--

I hope we get another Anniversary-esque map pack for H4. Not remakes, but a big map pack with more than three maps.

Top Bottom