• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

heckfu

Banned
Man, I was reading IGN for the gears review, and then decided to read the walking dead episode recap to see what people thought in the comments and some asshole posted a huge spoiler pic. Be wary of reading the comments if you're a walking dead fan.

I don't mean to be negative towards you in seemingly two straight posts, so don't take this one personally.

The Walking Dead has become a sad excuse for 'good' television. It set such a precedent in the first couple seasons by taking a comic, making it their own, and still maintaining both originality and loyalty to the comic.

Now it's an AMC cash cow that they are extending just for money from ad time.

If they ever went back to a 6-8 episode season instead of 12 filler episodes a year I may go back...but not until then.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Man, I was reading IGN for the gears review, and then decided to read the walking dead episode recap to see what people thought in the comments and some asshole posted a huge spoiler pic. Be wary of reading the comments if you're a walking dead fan.

I don't get why people have to shit on others' enjoyment. I had Halo 4 ruined for me by some ass who spammed twitter hundreds of times as well.
I think I know what you're talking about

(this isn't discussing the content of the spoiler, but I will tag it just in case)
the last few episodes of season 3 were re-shot iirc, nothing is set in stone
I don't mean to be negative towards you in seemingly two straight posts, so don't take this one personally.

The Walking Dead has become a sad excuse for 'good' television. It set such a precedent in the first couple seasons by taking a comic, making it their own, and still maintaining both originality and loyalty to the comic.

If they ever went back to a 6-8 episode season instead of 12 filler episodes a year I may go back...but not until then.
Without getting into plot details (I know Franklinator's been meaning to catch up), the first half of season 3 was great imo. I'll agree that since the break, pacing has been messed up horribly. I also concur that shorter seasons would be preferable.

I still feel that it's a quality program though. Just needs some tweaking.

So, I did some thinking, and decided I'd go ahead and try to flesh out one of my map concepts to see if I'm any good at it. Presenting:

ARCHANGEL
mShHpTN.png

With open facilities, verdant courtyards, open access to a cafe and a view of the Seattle Space Elevator, the sleet-ridden Apollo Research Facility in New Redmond was one of the most prominent station requests for ONI's Senior Xenoarmament Analysts. When a rogue Knight Major revived from its captive Crossbolt alone and murdered several scientists and ODSTs, however, the coffee breaks got cut short and the entire base was placed under extensive observation.
10-16 Players

Link to map thumbnail without snow

Note that some elements may not be completely to scale, especially in the thumbnails used throughout. To better give you a feel for the combat, I need to flesh out the sandbox in some level of detail - but only what's on the map. Otherwise I'd have people thinking you could spawn with DMRs with sightlines that open. Note that several designs (especially the Crossbolt and Huntshot) are still in development, hence the wonky blueprints. This map is way bigger than the overview suggests - it fills the same niche in space as Valhalla, and the bases are on the same level as Avalanche's. Don't be alarmed by the weapons seeming so close together.

Loadouts
Six possible weapons. You can spawn with two, no primary/secondary restriction. Selecting a weapon twice lets you spawn with it, but with double (or full) ammo.

Battle Rifle (4SK)
Carbine (6SK)
Light Rifle (4/5SK)
"Rook" (Suppressed SMG returns)
Plasma Rifle (Halo CE variant)
Oscillator (Promethean Spiker with Sentinel Beam altfire. Former destroys shields, latter destroys health. Mastering altmode switch times is essential.)

Grenades: 2x Frag, 2x Pulse, 1x Frag 1x Pusle

No Armor Abilities. No Armor Mods.

Frags are unchanged.
Pulse Grenades have an altmode now. A regular toss is almost unchanged. In Big Team, Pulse grenades sap your AA meter as well - if you have no AA (in competitive, or if it's charging) the damage of the grenade doubles. Hitting the "core" of the explosion will short out the grenade, but loose an EMP pulse. Alt-fire is initiated by holding Left Trigger until the grenade detonates. Damage is halved, but it induces heavy horizontal and vertical slowdown.
Plasma Grenades have a detonation time between CE and 2 and a blast radius between 2 and 3's.
7jEffhj.png

Phase Grenades are Promethean Firebombs with a Spike Grenade altmode (see Pulse for altmode details).

All loadout weapons have equivalent aim assist level and range (equivalent to the Halo 4 BR and Carbine), meaning the Light Rifle receives a slight nerf (but loses the heavy flinching).

The Pistol returns to its Halo CE variant and the Plasma Pistol is the Reach Beta variant. They're sort of "default" on-map pickups, designed to give the experts more weapons to replace their loadout precision weapons. Essentially "rewards" or switch-outs for loadout users. Slayer Classic has pistol starts across the board. The Pistol's only change is having its aim assist range scoped switched to that of the Halo 4 Light Rifle. Likewise with the Phase Rifle, mentioned below.

The Assault Rifle is no longer a loadout weapon, instead replacing the SAW as a powerful, Ordnance-class automatic, designed to rip through shields and health. It has the clip of the Halo CE variant, but eats through ammo much more quickly, essentially taking almost an entire clip to kill (but with kill times just above the SAW's).

The Sniper Rifle has a unique balancing property on this map; at the start of a match, two spotlights will be aimed directly at the snipers, provoking new players to get them. However, these spotlights will always follow the snipers, meaning campers will be absolutely drowned out in a floodlight.

PcRwkLw.png

The Phase Rifle is a battery-operated precision weapon replacing the DMR. It has a 4-shot kill but handles like a Beam Rifle, though with the 4th shot initiating an overheat, of course. A successful kill will silence the overheat exponentially, while overheating without a kill will cause the weapon to make an incredibly obnoxious overheating noise and produce a lens flare. The range means the open sight lines are just a benefit, not a pingfest.

2JNPUF0.png

The Huntshot combines the Fuel Rod Gun and the Halo 2 Brute Shot. It has a six round clip. Firing a regular shot dispenses a fizzly mountain dew-styled Halo 2 Brute Shot projectile, identical in function. Charging a shot (which eats up 3 shots of the clip) looses a Fuel Rod Gun projectile at a speed slightly faster than Halo 3's version. A direct hit is an instant kill; anywhere else will just do minor shield damage and ridiculously high blowback (to the extent that you can perform TF2-style Rocket Jumps with a charge shot). A direct hit is also an EMP to vehicles, but the entire blast radius will not produce an EMP.

k83KPLw.png

The Crossbolt is the mother of all power weapons. It has 5 shots. Charging an "arrow" takes 5 seconds. Firing it looses an incredibly slow projectile; you can outrun it. However, the hitbox is about the length of a gravity hammer and people can "clothesline" themselves on an arrow. Getting struck by one is an instant kill and causes a blue derezz effect, but also sends out 5 corpses performing identical death throes (which are modified to look different by removing textures, using a wire frame model, etc.). If a "dimensional corpse" touches another Spartan, it kills them instantly, and the cycle continues. Reload speed is instant but you can't reload until the arrow you've fired disappears. Its power in such an open environment is offset by it being glowy as hell. People will always know when you've got the Crossbolt.

gWoj1PJ.png

Powerups alternate through a static cycle of Overshield - Active Camo - Speed Boost - Damage Boost in 60-second intervals throughout the game.

Now that that's out of the way, I can explain parts of the map. The map uses an ONI aesthetic overall, and has lights matching its callouts - red base has white lights glinted red, and so on. In addition to this, Blue Team's skybox has a rebuilt Seattle Space Needle surrounded by a Space Elevator, with blue lights. Red Team has a skybox depicting a far-off building with red lights, subtly displaying a "343" somewhere. It's Future 343 Industries, today!

The closest I can come to explaining this map in terms of combining others is The Pit meets Block Fort meets Sword Base (catwalk combat) meets Rat's Nest meets Last Resort, but gigantic. The openness allows the map to use two vertical layers simultaneously, and with common access to one from the other - you'll see Snipers switching to the ground to block the floodlight with the central building, Huntshot users charge-jumping from ground level to the catwalks, and so on. That brings me to an additional point; "scout" players that emphasize their map movement are going to want to make a rush for one of two Huntshots, because there are several Huntshot-exclusive charge jumps on the map, such as jumping from Red Perch to Gold Perch, South Rails to Blue Cat, etc.

Another interesting point (and one that proves essential to objective gametypes): all of the catwalks are retractable. On the inside of each of the four "stilts" on floor one of the cafe (callout Crossbolt) is a button. If you press all four (none of that first-person vignette bullshit) all of the catwalks will retract and become unusable for 30 seconds, forcing combat to stick to mostly ground-level in Slayer matches and potentially crippling the offensive team in one-sided Objective. If they enemy team manages to hit all four buttons early, they'll come back.

One dynamic to keep in mind on this map is ladders and grav lifts; grav lifts appear at the front of certain areas (like gold/green perch) while ladders appear on the back of them (facing the fences/defensive walls). Grav lifts are much quicker but make you a completely open target, exacerbated by the openness of the map. Ladders are about 3x as slow but leave you protected from all but two angles (your sides).

One thing I wanted to mention specifically was use of setpieces. Notably, Red Bench and Blue Bench. The "story" of this map was that it was a peaceful place (well, as peaceful as an ONI research facility can be) for some of the higher-up ONI operatives to study alien weapons, hence the Huntshots and Crossbolt. There were a variety of security measures in place as well, hence the Sniper Rifles on the towers, chaingun turrets unusable on the roof of the bases, etc. However, the Crossbolt taken to Earth to study somehow regenerated into its user, a Promethean Knight Sniper (which sort of retcons Promethean Knight aesthetics but fuck it, this is using my Prom Knight concepts too). The Scientists were overpowered, forcing ONI to make a desperate measure and call in ODSTs (there might be a drop pod or two visible on the map). It was ultimately an ODST wielding a Humbler Stun Baton that killed the Sniper for good by lodging it through its chest - while Humblers are mostly used to be "motivational" on humans like Spartan children, the electricity short-circuited the Knight after it got impaled. The corpse of the Knight is "lounging" on a bench, Humbler still intact (though not usable).
b6xiREr.png

An Assault Rifle is at the feet of the Knight. On the other side of the map (Blue Bench) is an ODST impaled with a Hardlight Scythe (which just so happens to be blue like the team it's on).
rTNkeGt.png

In Three Plots, the three territories are Red Bench, Blue Bench, and Crossbolt - meaning that all territories have direct lines of sight at eachother, requiring a truly dedicated team to take all three.

As a very definitely obvious indicator that something important is at Crossbolt spawn, there are some notable displays for the cafe.

iaez8pq.png

Despite being a quaint little cafe, high-tech stuff is peppered throughout even the most mundane of scenery - all-digital displays for the cafe even on catwalks, a spent UNSC examination canister holding the Crossbolt in place, and so on.

Anyone who's calling this second half of season 3 of Walking Dead "good" or "elite" or "top tier" TV is blind as shit, as you know my opinions on this half season.

That said, as it's become crystal clear why AMC fired the current showrunner, the guy who's taking over for season 4 (Scott M. Gimple) has written some of the series' best episodes, so there is some room for optimism for the show's future.

But thank god for Game of Thrones in a couple weeks and Mad Men the week after, when excellent TV will penetrate your eyeballs on Sunday nights.

I was going to start watching it but this has turned me off completely.

Guess Ill stick with my current stuff

Arrow (just started)
Supernatural
Spartacus
Psyche
Breaking Bad (when i get back to it)
Castle
The Office
Game of Thrones
Law and Order (netflix) (watched SVU and CI )
Buffy/Angel (netflix)
TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY (netflix)
Mythbusters (neflix)

The only shows I watch these days are The Office and Parks and Rec. I don't really like The Office anymore, though, they should have ended it when Carell left.

edit: Oh yeah, and I guess Game of Thrones since I should be caught up by the time Season 3 starts. And I really need to watch Breaking Bad

Yeah.. I still have to get back on the bike, so to speak. My rhythm is all sorts of off and I'll just get flustered and stop microing as I blank out.

Also that weird thing where people kinda try to win at the start but if it hits a certain time point, they'll turtle for points.

lol I know those feels when you just blank.. then BOOM! When the snap comes you feel like an animal in hyper drive.

It's ... Madness ... one might say...

tip-hat-o.gif

TWD discussion: You guys may not like where the show is heading, plot or whatever else, but it's definitely quality. The acting is great, the scenes have so much depth and the characterization is superb.

Madness

Hmm, I agree that with season 2 they started to make it filler and market the hell out of it, but it's still good storytelling and the acting is top notch.

I don't know, from the first season and I also recently played the game as well, I've gotten invested in the 'world' of the walking dead, so more episodes isn't necessarily a turn off for me.

But you should all watch the first season at least, see how you like it.

The only shows I watch these days are The Office and Parks and Rec. I don't really like The Office anymore, though, they should have ended it when Carell left.

edit: Oh yeah, and I guess Game of Thrones since I should be caught up by the time Season 3 starts. And I really need to watch Breaking Bad

The office became a different beast when Carell left. The stuff with Will Ferrell was horrible but so is he. Andy is completely unsuited to the role of manager. Pam has turned into a bitch. It could have went 3 more seasons with Carell but since he left its going no where. This season has been pretty weak and less funny but still had some great episodes like the last one "the farm"

Fotos

The satisfaction in taking down a scarab with spartan tanks... Halo wars is all Ive been playing for a month or so now. 4 years later and Im on my final push to a general rank. Fantastic game. Let me know next time your playing, we should run some matches.

The satisfaction of raping the other team with 1 Scarab and 30 Engineers. Unstoppable.

heckfu

Banned
TWD discussion: You guys may not like where the show is heading, plot or whatever else, but it's definitely quality. The acting is great, the scenes have so much depth and the characterization is superb.

Script for Season 3, Episode X - spoiler tagged in case whatever

Rick: "LORI! CARL!"
Carl: "I'M A MAN!"
Everyone else: "RICK!"
-death of secondary character-
Rick: "CARL!"
Governor
: "Andrea! We gotta kill (interchangeable character)!"
Rick: "CARL!"
Carl: "I DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN TO YOU"
Maggie: "I LURVE YOU GLENN. I HATE YOU GLENN!"
Rick: "LORIIIIIIIIIIIIIII"

Commercial: "Enter to win a guest spot/trip/cameo/trip to Walking Dead Season 4!"
Commercial: "Watch The Talking Dead with Chris Hardwick right after this!"

Rick: "CAWRRRRRL!"

-roll credits-

I've never liked it, don't understand why everyone is madly in love with it.

Violence. Very gory violence.

Walking Dead has had some good stretches that shows its true potential, but it also has just as many stretches of people mediocre.

-------------------

For TV dramas currently airing, I feel there is an elite group, and then there is everyone else (and that includes some good, but not great shows).

Elite group: Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Southland

The office became a different beast when Carell left. The stuff with Will Ferrell was horrible but so is he. Andy is completely unsuited to the role of manager. Pam has turned into a bitch. It could have went 3 more seasons with Carell but since he left its going no where. This season has been pretty weak and less funny but still had some great episodes like the last one "the farm"

Season 9 (and season 8 honestly) of The Office is watched for a hate watch experience of a show that used to be awesome. It's terrible now.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Walking Dead has had some good stretches that shows its true potential, but it also has just as many stretches of people mediocre.

-------------------

For TV dramas currently airing, I feel there is an elite group, and then there is everyone else (and that includes some good, but not great shows).

Elite group: Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Southland

I'd put the first half of Season 3 of the Walking Dead up there.

-------------------

My man

Sai-kun

Banned
Silentium just delivered to my tablet. Bout to dive into this for a couple chapters before bed. :D Thank you, digital delivery! <3

Top Bottom