• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Turrible.

ObcRKWU.gif

Blueblur1

But they would hold at bay the hunger and satisfy the desires of a spoiled group of over entitled until the next banquet is served.
"Over entitled"? So you're saying that if I expect a product to be of the same quality and have a similar amount of content as the previous product then I, along with the other unhappy folks, are "over entitled"? Or am I misunderstanding your post?

By the way, has anyone posted IGN's walk through of Outcast? Reddit is tearing it a new one and rightly so; the map looks terrible.

"Over entitled"? So you're saying that if I expect a product to be of the same quality and have a similar amount of content as the previous product then I, along with the other unhappy folks, are "over entitled"? Or am I misunderstanding your post?

You misunderstand.

This entire generation is over entitled.

Gears J is roughly the same amount of content as Gears 3.

8 maps instead of gears 10 maps (you still get 10 but you have to wait till the free dlc)
Survival Replaces Horde (its 10 rounds instead of 50 but its six and two threes)
2 Campaigns instead of 1 campaign
Optional objectives to extended campaign and a score attack mechanic

Conor 419

Banned
You misunderstand.

8 maps instead of gears 10 maps (you still get 10 but you have to wait till the free dlc)
Survival Replaces Horde (its 10 rounds instead of 50 but its six and two threes)

Jesus christ.

Got an idea to revise the playlists and still fit in everyone's favorite legacy gametypes. Playlists can have up to four voting options.

Regicide is an unchanged team game, while Regacy (Regicide + Legacy, name isn't official of course :lol) is FFA Regicide, with the difference that Regacy crowns a new king whenever you kill the old one. It replaces VIP and Juggernaut.

RANKED

6-Way FFA. Rumble Pit: Slayer / Oddball / King of the Hill / Regacy
2v2. Team Doubles: Slayer / One Flag / Oddball / Regicide
4v4. Team Legacy: Slayer Classic / CTF Classic / One Bomb Classic / Three Plots Classic
4v4. Team Throwdown: Slayer / Slayer / Regicide / Team Snipers
4v4. Team Objective: CTF / One Flag / Assault / One Bomb
4v4. Team Control: Territories / Three Plots / Oddball / King of the Hill
4v4. Team SWAT

-Classic indicates both legacy gametype settings (such as Halo 2-style Assault) and a more stripped down weapon set.

-Note that Throwdown has nothing but "kill to win" gametypes for the obligatory "all murders, all the time" playlist.

SOCIAL (All 16v16 for next gen)
Big Team Battle: Slayer
Invasion: Invasion / Invasion CTF / Three Noughts / Lich King
Dominion: Dominion. Heavy weapons significantly reduced.
Extraction: 1, 2, 3, and 5-site Extraction are options (these maps are huge)
Safe Havens: Dominion meets Firefight meets class-based Infection. Fortify bases to hold off against waves of Flood (all player-controlled).

-Invasion is your standard Control Hill, Control Hill, Capture the Core setup. No shotty broom closets.
-Invasion CTF is one-sided and is three phases of Capture the Core, but you have to carry it to three separate areas.
-Three Noughts is also one-sided: it's essentially Big Team Three Plots. The Defenders are using a Lich stationed somewhere on the map. It has a permanent tractor beam to allow infantry access but is capable of shooting its lasers at one target at a time (meaning a concentrated effort is required). You can damage the core to disable its weapons for some time. Capturing Territory 1 will lock it, open Territory 2, and cause the Lich to fly to the next given point before spawning the next territory. Once Territory 2 is captured, it moves to the final territory and Desecration starts playing. Successfully capturing all three plots causes the Lich to explode.
-Lich King is Team King of the Hill; the hill is always inside a neutral Lich that flies around the map to different airborne hills that don't spawn until it gets there.

CUSTOM GAMES
Something resembling a server browser for customs. There are official servers like Grifball and Community Playdates but also user-created ones.

Blueblur1

You misunderstand.

Valid points except that you are overlooking the fact that 4 of the maps are exclusive to 1 mode (competitive MP) and the other 4 are exclusive to the another (survival). And the game is still sorely lacking in MP modes which results in much less MP variety when Gears 3 offered much much more. I think the upset fans are justified in their disappointment regardless of the other content.

You can see play against each other on Firefight maps too.
It's basically if reach repurposed invasion maps as firefight maps and removed them from other game types so you could only play Invasion or firefight on those maps an then you had another group of maps to play the more traditional MP on. Removal of legacy gametypes is the only massively disappointing change.

Conor 419

Banned
No they are all versus multiplayer but separated across two modes one is the cog vs locust class based mp and the other is TDM.

Has it occurred to you, that stacking features next to each other and proclaiming "look guys, it offers nearly as much stuff!" is completely irrelevant to many serious fans of the series?

Gears of War has been a platform for delivering innovative experiences through a rich universe from the beginning. Gears of War 1 set an entirely new standard for third person shooters, Gears of War 2 provided an awesome story, it added a wealth of features and pioneered the 'defend against AI' modes which have now become a staple to modern shooters. Gears of War 3 gave us the conclusion which we had all been waiting for, and it then went out of its way to refine and improve almost every single aspect of the first two, and left us with what was the perfect multiplayer Gears game.

So where does Judgment leave us? What is been largely regarded as a campaign filled with familiarity and repitition, a half baked attempt at integrating the Gears series with L4D style gameplay, disregarding the fact that Gears of War's artificial intelligence and enemy types are no way near dynamic and varied enough to suit this kind of experience. Lastly, we have a multiplayer which is making changes which are upsetting fans of the series.

So no, it's simply not good enough. People are right to complain that Gears isn't living up to its own standards, and these people should rightfully vote with their wallet, like I am. In a period where Fire Emblem, Tomb Raider and Bioshock are all releasing so closely to eachother, there is no place in this industry for games like this.

Havok

"Perdition initially started out [...] as a map in the Anniversary Map Pack."

What? So uh, did Terminal die for our sins and leave this thing behind?

For Team Slayer, King of the Hill, Extraction. Slayer works on anything so that's not saying much, this looks way too big for King unless it's a Big Team variant (but King does not work remotely well with 16 players), and they'll probably put 2 Site Extraction Large on here which is not a good gametype. Apparently CTF is on there too.

Asymmetric. Flag location in an area with no cover and long walkways as the only real viable routes...maybe this will require vehicles but again, asymmetric. As always, gonna have to play it to be sure, but this doesn't seem to be a winner just based on its layout. The one they showed off yesterday, even with the problems it seemed to have, seems like it has much more well-defined flow, where this just looks kind of disjointed. I like that aesthetic quite a bit, but the layout just isn't doing it for me.

Conor saying words

I never spoke about the quality of the game or the changes they have made and how the fans have reacted to them. What I did say is that for the same price you are getting a comparable feature set.

Calm down chum go back to Bitching about ODST and how halo needs a server browser

''I'm gonna have an Assault Rifle, plenty of grenades that I can stick on vehicles and have my plasma pistol so I can easily stun vehicles''...''I also like using the Jetpack so I can just come in from above, surprise people from like a steep angle right down on the vehicles and stick 'm with some grenades and be one my way''

This is what's wrong with Halo.

TheOddOne

oh, FU...

...hmm, you may be right. Maybe there's a chance the map can be scaled down for the smaller playlists. If the previous maps are any indication, probably not though.
Compared to Outcast though.

I would love that they built in a way to scale down large maps via Forge.

I was just wondering that same thing.

This is what happens when focus groups and "data" steer the development process instead of, you know, developers. Everything winds up being boiled down to the lowest common denominator.

This steers the game towards the casual "sheeple", who play the game for a week or two and then move on, while the core audience gets stuck with the damn thing for 2-3 years while they wait for the next one.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

For Team Slayer, King of the Hill, Extraction. Slayer works on anything so that's not saying much, this looks way too big for King unless it's a Big Team variant (but King does not work remotely well with 16 players), and they'll probably put 2 Site Extraction Large on here which is not a good gametype. Apparently CTF is on there too.

Asymmetric. Flag location in an area with no cover and long walkways as the only real viable routes...maybe this will require vehicles but again, asymmetric. As always, gonna have to play it to be sure, but this doesn't seem to be a winner just based on its layout. The one they showed off yesterday, even with the problems it seemed to have, seems like it has much more well-defined flow, where this just looks kind of disjointed. I like that aesthetic quite a bit, but the layout just isn't doing it for me.

LOL holy shit. I can't believe it.

TheOddOne

This is what happens when focus groups and "data" steer the development process instead of, you know, developers. Everything winds up being boiled down to the lowest common denominator.

This steers the game towards the casual "sheeple", who play the game for a week or two and then move on, while the core audience gets stuck with the damn thing for 2-3 years while they wait for the next one.
The worst side-effect is that those types of developers are all going the indie route and making smaller games. Some turn out great and others just show that with more money they could have become the next big thing.

kylej

Banned
I'm not entirely convinced 343 exists. I feel like it's a shell corporation for tax purposes while everything in the game is made by Certain Affinity.

Blueblur1

They're stuck with the game 343 made so its expected. Plus, I doubt any CA developers are going to play the game as much as some of us do so they'll resort to the same easy tactics the general matchmaking population does. The former is disappointing and the latter is not surprising.

Pop

CA strikes again, what have that not done with H4. Better question, what did 343i do with all that free time?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Folks didn't we know all about this pack for months now and that CA was making it? Just curious as it seems like news to most of you.

I wonder why 343 did not make many of the maps. Production on SP must have been hectic for MS to need to call in CA on all of the multiplayer.

That map looks average at best. 2 warthogs and a ghost is ridiculous for a map with virtually no open space.

Its basically like they took the bad elements of all the Halo 4 maps and threw them together.

343 has a saving grace in that Halo 4's "open beta" status, complete with graphical console wizardry, was really just a proof-of concept to pave the way for a Next Gen Halo 5, and they've left CA doing most of the dirty work for 4. The entire team is actually spending most of their resources on an Xbox 420 game.

That or Grunt Lunch Rush Simulator 2013.

Top Bottom