• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

IHaveIce

Banned
It runs fine? Are you kidding me? Gameplay issues aside, framerate dips in Dominion, Infinity BTB.

DLC maps accidently going free, maps also with bad framerate, Wreckage with Sunlight that is blinding you crossmap.

After a game it often sends you to a loop screen where nothing happens.

Still input lag in coop modes, splitscreen in MM unplayable because of cluttered UI or bad framerate.

Given how hot Halo 4 landed, I think 343 just didn't have time.

Too many MS meetings in the day.

Hopefully they streamline the development process for Halo 5. It sounded like a case of too many cooks spoiling the brew, camel is a horse designed by committee and why dictatorships always make the best bands.

splitscreen in MM unplayable because of cluttered UI or bad framerate.

And unscaled reticles!

Blueblur1

Given how hot Halo 4 landed, I think 343 just didn't have time. And/also may not consider DLC part of their charter; they make or direct the core game, then seem to farm out other components (such as Forge).

If I'd known 343 were outsourcing the map packs, and to Certain Affinity, I would have not purchased the LE. I ended up giving away the season pass code anyways, but seeing that rocket hog in the Perdition video just made me laugh. That thing ruined Unearthed in Reach, but for some reason CA loves the thing. Though it does kind of fit with Halo 4's BTB theme of random carnage. I've followed the DLC/TU news lightly, and I have to say, I so do not regret getting rid of Halo 4.

I think that Halo 4 might have been 343's Halo 2. They just didn't weather the storm as well as Bungie did.

Ugh. I don't mind SciFi properties taking some liberties to create their universe(s), but there are some very basic things wrong here. Unless of course, you worded it incorrectly, in which case I'm never speaking to you again.

Not my idea. Blame Bear™

I would assume it's not an invisible photonic dimension so much it is another potentially visible plane of existence - like using VISR mode, but on the scale of Slipspace. The Didact used it to track otherwise difficult-to-see movements during ship-to-ship combat if I'm remembering right. It's not one of my baked-ass ideas though.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Say I went out and bought a sports car on the day it was released. It was slick, pretty, and praised by critics.

I seal the deal with the dealer, take my keys, and hop into the new ride. The interior is stunning. But wait, the radio doesn't work. The engine doesn't ignite. The steering wheel doesn't actually do anything. I get out of the car and walk back to the salesman to give a piece of my mind.

I tap him on the shoulder; he gives no response. I walk in front of him and speak. My words are ignored. Upset, I start to search for another employee. "Wait", I hear behind me. "Was there a problem with your car?"

"Yeah, the thing's a total mess. What can you do about it?"

The salesman sheepishly replies: "Uh...I can give you a sweet hood ornament."
"But the car....it's a piece of trash. I paid full price for this, can't you fix it or something? While I appreciate a nice ornament just as much as anyone, I'd like a car in working condition first."

"Alright, then. We'll fix up the car and have her back to you soon."

3 months later, and no word from the dealership, I confront the salesman again.

"How's my car coming along?"
"Not bad, we put on new paint and threw on some nice new tires. We put the hood ornament on as well."
"...Did you fix the engine? The transmission? Anything?"
"Yeah, we're working on it I guess; but how about those sweet tires, huh? And that paint? This car's got a little something for everybody now!"

I leave, file a chargeback with my bank, and pick up a Prius.

edit: oh lawd, bottom of page, now even less people can read/care about this

heckfu

Banned
I found Heckfu

http://i.imgur.com/JYQCi9x.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

FIFA 13 GOTY.

Last night I was making fun of Nutter for being such a BK at it and he said, "If it were anything before FIFA 05 I would be shitting on you so hard."

That was a real threat that happened...FIFA 05...

I can't wait to see the included achievements so HaloGAF can go through a proper meltdown.
Choo Choo Slingshot (5 gamerscore): Stick a teammate holding an energy sword, they lunge towards an enemy, the plasma blast kills the enemy while the train is chugging by overhead.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I think that Halo 4 might have been 343's Halo 2. They just didn't weather the storm as well as Bungie did.

All in all this is my guess. I still think creating a studio from nothing and building/shipping a Halo game is a monumental feat that was obviously harder than anticipated. Thus why you see Certain Affinity helping out (among other studios). While not an excuse for the issues the game has, I think Halo 5 will show 343's full strength and if they can pull off a Halo game.

EDIT:
Fracas I don't buy into your analogy either, the base of Halo 4 is the good part. The gunplay and movement.

Say I went out and bought a sports car on the day it was released. It was slick, pretty, and praised by critics.

I seal the deal with the dealer, take my keys, and hop into the new ride. The interior is stunning. But wait, the radio doesn't work. The engine doesn't ignite. The steering wheel doesn't actually do anything. I get out of the car and walk back to the salesman to give a piece of my mind.

I tap him on the shoulder; he gives no response. I walk in front of him and speak. My words are ignored. Upset, I start to search for another employee. "Wait", I hear behind me. "Was there a problem with your car?"

"Yeah, the thing's a total mess. What can you do about it?"

The salesman sheepishly replies: "Uh...I can give you a sweet hood ornament."
"But the car....it's a piece of trash. I paid full price for this, can't you fix it or something? While I appreciate a nice ornament just as much as anyone, I'd like a car in working condition first."

"Alright, then. We'll fix up the car and have her back to you soon."

3 months later, and no word from the dealership, I confront the salesman again.

"How's my car coming along?"
"Not bad, we put on new paint and threw on some nice new tires. We put the hood ornament on as well."
"...Did you fix the engine? The transmission? Anything?"
"Yeah, we're working on it I guess; but how about those sweet tires, huh? And that paint? This car's got a little something for everybody now!"

I leave, file a chargeback with my bank, and pick up a Prius.

edit: oh lawd, bottom of page, now even less people can read/care about this

Quoted for the next page.

Madness

All in all this is my guess. I still think creating a studio from nothing and building/shipping a Halo game is a monumental feat that was obviously harder than anticipated. Thus why you see Certain Affinity helping out (among other studios). While not an excuse for the issues the game has, I think Halo 5 will show 343's full strength and if they can pull off a Halo game.

Even if it's a bad Halo game? Don't get me wrong, but I don't see much special that 343 has done that any other studio that has released an FPS has done. Let's be real here, the game sold as well and got the high scores based on name alone.

For example, a lot of the staff at 343 were hired when Raven Software had layoffs. In my eyes, after seeing Halo 4, seeing the post release support and screwup, they're no different than say a Kaos Studios or Danger Close are.

Plus CJ, it's not hard to create a new studio when you are the behemoth called Microsoft and you put out an open call to develop the biggest IP in FPS gaming. Halo 4 is also the most expensive game ever produced by Microsoft. Imagine how the game would have turned out if they didn't have essentially 6 years to hire people and an almost blank check for costs

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Even if it's a bad Halo game? Don't get me wrong, but I don't see much special that 343 has done that any other studio that has released an FPS has done. Let's be real here, the game sold as well and got the high scores based on name alone.

For example, a lot of the staff at 343 were hired when Raven Software had layoffs. In my eyes, after seeing Halo 4, seeing the post release support and screwup, there no different than say a Kaos Studios or Danger Close are.

Ehhhhh Halo 4 has a much higher production value and is in MUCH better shape than Homefront was (I did community for that game, got a look behind the scenes). Homefront launch was a disaster and the game had far more issues that Halo 4 ever has had.

Halo 4 has a very competent single player (not without faults and inconsistencies) that is far better than the two games mentioned. Even if you hated the story and way it was told the single player worked and looked great, something Homefront had issues pulling off. The multiplayer also plays solid overall, the main issues are the inclusion of AA's and balancing, combined with map design. Although Homefront had solid MP, but it was marred by online issues and bugs (far more serious than Halo).

Halo 4 has issues, but it's nowhere near the realm of Homefront or MoH. Besides, more than 50 people play Halo 4 right now and enjoy it. Here's hoping for Homefront 2 though!

Plus CJ, it's not hard to create a new studio when you are the behemoth called Microsoft and you put out an open call to develop the biggest IP in FPS gaming. Halo 4 is also the most expensive game ever produced by Microsoft. Imagine how the game would have turned out if they didn't have essentially 6 years to hire people and an almost blank check for costs

Throwing money at it can get you enough people for a studio, but that can't get a good studio. The people there have to get used to working with one another and gel together, which is what made Bungie so great. I don't see this happening in a few years with no shipped title at the time.

All this Halo Wars talk almost makes me want to give the game a fair chance, instead of immediately writing it off because "Halo game that isn't an FPS? No thanks."

I bought the game around launch I think, sold it after the first few missions... how easy is the game to get into for someone who has never played an RTS before?

I know people have already taken this, but I never played an RTS game before and picked this up back when it came out. The campaign is great and really introduces you to the basics. Skirmish against the AI helps to brush up on skills too.

Online it can be daunting right off but I urge you to stick with it. It all comes down to getting a basic knowledge of what to do. Getting your buildings up as quick as possible, what units to make, how to attack, when to build counter units etc.

Ive put over 120 hours into this game over the last 4 years and Im still enjoying it.

Theres still a pretty dedicated fanbase with over 6000 players at peak times. The skill gap isnt terrible either, a lot of begginners are still playing so you wont get mollywhopped everytime.

Cant recommend this game enough.

Valid points except that you are overlooking the fact that 4 of the maps are exclusive to 1 mode (competitive MP) and the other 4 are exclusive to the another (survival). And the game is still sorely lacking in MP modes which results in much less MP variety when Gears 3 offered much much more. I think the upset fans are justified in their disappointment regardless of the other content.

The Gears 3 playlists became unplayable due to low populations. Streamlining the modes is a great idea, everything is still there really. Execution is coming in a few weeks, TDM KOTH/Annex is there. With less modes this means less playlists so better populations all round.

If anything Judgement will handle online better than Gears 3.

Fans are bitches and will complain about everything regardless.

Just look at Halo for fucks sakes.

no bullets hans

Neo Member
Anyone else read Silentium yet? Thoughts?

It was SO GOOD. I just finished. It took me like 7 hours to read. I started this morning when I got to work and just blazed through it. I've never read a book that fast, I was so sucked into it.

It gives me hope that for all the mistakes 343 made with the actual game of Halo 4, they're capable of carrying the universe into something amazing.

Thanks for the code Cyren, I put it in and got the 20k EXP, it wouldnt let me watch the video though.

Also im pretty dissapointed we didnt get the city park location, the human industrial theme has been done to death already.

Nebula

So I awoke to some shit news. My Granddad passed away some time this morning in his house. He wasn't ill or anything, he just passed away without warning.

So yeah, sorry to bring more depressing news to HaloGAF. Anyone up for some Halo? I'd like to take my mind of it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Apparently I need to get Cryptum finished and blaze through the second book. Man I have so much to read and no time because I play games instead (I'll never finish Game of Thrones...).

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So I awoke to some shit news. My Granddad passed away some time this morning in his house. He wasn't ill or anything, he just passed away without warning.

So yeah, sorry to bring more depressing news to HaloGAF. Anyone up for some Halo? I'd like to take my mind of it.

I'm really sorry man.

Duji

It seems like quite a few Halogafers are getting shitty luck this past week or so when it comes to loved ones, and it even hit me. My freaking cat has been MIA since Friday night. Yea, definitely not even close to being as important as an actual person, but it's still kind of upsetting. Hopefully your granddad lived a long, happy life.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Sorry for your loss, man.

Honestly, that's not a bad way to go. Minimal suffering and all that. My sympathies, sir.

It seems like quite a few Halogafers are getting shitty luck this past week or so when it comes to loved ones, and it even hit me. My freaking cat has been MIA since Friday night. Yea, definitely not even close to being as important as an actual person, but it's still kind of upsetting. Hopefully your granddad lived a long, happy life.
Animals are family, too. I still get choked up at the thought of putting my dog down due to extreme age, and that was almost 10 years ago (holy crap).

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Madness

Ehhhhh Halo 4 has a much higher production value and is in MUCH better shape than Homefront was (I did community for that game, got a look behind the scenes). Homefront launch was a disaster and the game had far more issues that Halo 4 ever has had.

Halo 4 has a very competent single player (not without faults and inconsistencies) that is far better than the two games mentioned. Even if you hated the story and way it was told the single player worked and looked great, something Homefront had issues pulling off. The multiplayer also plays solid overall, the main issues are the inclusion of AA's and balancing, combined with map design. Although Homefront had solid MP, but it was marred by online issues and bugs (far more serious than Halo).

Halo 4 has issues, but it's nowhere near the realm of Homefront or MoH.

Once again though, 343 has been 'developing' Halo 4 since 2007. They've also had the power of MS behind them. I'm sure the other studios would have loved the time and money that 343 had to work with.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Once again though, 343 has been 'developing' Halo 4 since 2007. They've also had the power of MS behind them. I'm sure the other studios would have loved the time and money that 343 had to work with.

Of course, but as I said in my later edit you can't just throw money at something like Halo. You need a team that's used to working together ala Bungie. Which is why as the studio is now cemented and the teams defined I believe we will see better and better work towards Halo 5.

Or maybe it will suck, I have no idea.

EDIT: Yeah, I didn't think development started until 2009/10 or so. Plu, they were still hiring all the way through. Mix that with people leaving and it's been a crazy few years making Halo 4.

Madness

I don't think they've been developing Halo 4 since 2007.

I meant in the process of developing it after Halo 3 launched and Bungie moved out of their building. I think they started real development around 2009. But I was talking about generally the studio and the vision for Halo 4 started in 2007. I think they've had a lot of problem with hiring. Didn't the creative director before josh holmes leave as well?

Oh I think it'll be much better for Halo 5 as well. They've got the core team down and probably cut the dead weight, as that disgruntled dev who blogged showed.

That's why for me, it's Halo 5 or bust for 343, they'll have no excuses anymore.

Madness

REPOST: I think this was missed last page.

Can anyone explain how you win flood? Just now, I was playing it on complex. I survived two rounds with another guy. I was much better I got flood hunter, survivor and even the clever medals for surviving the round. We both had the same amount of time survived and yet I had WAY more points. The third round, I get made into a flood while the other guy who survived with me didn't. And as good as I am with flood I tend to go negative in the early minutes. So I die, convert, die, convert. Then I even get the last man standing and it says victory. At the end though, because the other guy never got made flood he had a longer survival rate than me and I finished second. I never got a flood victory commendation at all. So how the heck are you supposed to win? Kill as many flood as possible and hope you don't turn into a flood?

Sorry for the double post, but I'm playing right now, just wanted to know.

Nebula

Honestly, that's not a bad way to go. Minimal suffering and all that. My sympathies, sir.

Animals are family, too. I still get choked up at the thought of putting my dog down due to extreme age, and that was almost 10 years ago (holy crap).

Yeah I guess it's good he went that way. Thank you all anyway. Also animals may not be people but they can become a huge part of your life. When my Dog passed a few years back it hit me hard. We had her for as long as I remember.

Hopefully no one else recieves bad news anyway.

At least he went in peace man, my condolences.

Madness

Wow just played the best game of Extraction ever, it was on abandon. No mics either. But we were down 2-0, then tied it 2-2, other team regrouped and made it 4-2, put my team in a bind, made some key plays, some tense moments, came down to a last second push and we won 5-4.

It truly felt like old Halo in the sense that it was small map, close teams, no instant re spawn, no ordnance some objective to work towards.

Not my idea. Blame Bear™

I would assume it's not an invisible photonic dimension so much it is another potentially visible plane of existence - like using VISR mode, but on the scale of Slipspace. The Didact used it to track otherwise difficult-to-see movements during ship-to-ship combat if I'm remembering right. It's not one of my baked-ass ideas though.

Hmmm... I guess the issue arises from how the lore describes slipspace and methods of entering it. The books mention the Shaw-Fujikawa drives access through the use of particle accelerators to create small black holes through which they somehow squeeze the ships. Now, even though these black holes evaporate due to Hawking radiation extremely quickly - which, in this state, includes the mass of the ship - the ships are not destroyed. Instead, the lore goes along with a somewhat fringe theory of physics that black holes destroy the laws of physics to basically allow access to parallel universes of space (although they tend to use the words dimensions, universes, space, etc. interchangeably, which is quite annoying).

Ok, so let's go down this road then. This means slipspace is essentially a compressed, parallel universe running alongside our own, which leads to the issues with relativity. Even in this case, you are still dealing with matter / energy interacting with space, just a different space. This leads to my issue with the proposal above. Since the syntax in the lore is mixed up without a care, this "plane of existence" is either another dimension or another universe (like slipspace). In the first case, a dimension doesn't necesitate spacial properties perse (like the ability to have any recognizable dimensionality), but in order to have particles (photons) present, the energy waves have to interact with a field, which requires some interaction with other dimensions for the particle's existence to be perceptible. This can't be the case, otherwise it would be observable in one or more other dimensions (dimensions with purely energetic existence are possible, but particles require field interactions). The other possibility, yet another universe, again requires that the electromagnetic field be present for interactions to result in photons. This means that fundamentally, photons are not the only thing that the universe is made of (they are a side effect of a field's existence). They can also not be the only thing taking up the space in the universe because the field needs space itself in which to exist.

Of course, this could all be shoved under the rug if they just came out and said "these other universes follow different laws of physics so these things are possible". But then that leaves the nagging issue that apparently matter/energy/field interactions from our universe can safely enter, traverse, and exit slipspace with fairly good accuracy separate from time. This requires us the crazy small chance that the slipspace "universe" is essentially empty space but just happens to be habitable.

Then again, Master Chief is THE ONE, so I suppose who gives a flying fuck anyway?

/YourExWahrer

Wow just played the best game of Extraction ever, it was on abandon. No mics either. But we were down 2-0, then tied it 2-2, other team regrouped and made it 4-2, put my team in a bind, made some key plays, some tense moments, came down to a last second push and we won 5-4.

It truly felt like old Halo in the sense that it was small map, close teams, no instant re spawn, no ordnance some objective to work towards.

Extraction is a fantastic gametype. Some of my best, most intense and most "Halo-ish" games have happened playing that gametype.

Props to 343 for introducing it.

Halo 3 launch maps

Maps suitable for 4v4 in bold

Construct
Epitaph
Guardian
High Ground
Isolation
Last Resort
Narrows
Sandtrap
Snowbound
The Pit
Valhalla

Halo 3 DLC

The Heroic map pack

Foundry
Rat's Nest
Standoff

The Legendary map pack

Avalanche
Blackout
Ghost Town

-Cold Storage

The Mythic map pack

Assembly
Orbital
Sandbox

Citadel
Heretic
Longshore

16 maps from 24 primarily suited to 4v4 play. 66% of total set.

Halo 4 launch maps

Haven
Adrift
Longbow
Exile
Solace
Complex
Ragnarok
Abandon
Meltdown
Vortex
Impact (for parity with Foundry)

Halo 4 DLC

The Crimson map pack

Wreckage
Harvest
Shatter

The Majestic map pack

Landfall
Monolith
Skyline

The Castle map pack

Daybreak
Outcast
Perdition

8 maps from 20 primarily suited for 4v4 play. 40% of total set.

My question for the PAX multiplayer panel/Tashi-Franklin interview: Under Bungie Halo was largely a 4v4-centric shooter. What was the philosophical reasoning behind apportioning a higher percentage of the map pool to larger play spaces, emphasizing big team play? Does 343i now consider Halo to be a larger team game first and a 4v4 game second? And is the preferential focus on BTB maps indicative of the series' future direction?

ill ask this question if you're not going to pax

I wish you luck getting ahead of "will Halo 4 multiplayer have multiplayer and will they have better faces than Halo 3 cause they sucked" in the queue ;)

My question for the PAX multiplayer panel/Tashi-Franklin interview: Under Bungie Halo was largely a 4v4-centric shooter. What was the philosophical reasoning behind apportioning a higher percentage of the map pool to larger play spaces, emphasizing big team play? Does 343i now consider Halo to be a larger team game first and a 4v4 game second? And is the preferential focus on BTB maps indicative of the series' future direction?

ill ask this question if you're not going to pax

Nebula

Halo 3 launch maps

That is an excellent question, and It will be interesting to see how they answer it.

BTB can S my D. On a poster. Raise it high at Pax.

Along with a long banner of the population chart.

First question "When are you hiring Juices?"

I said goddamn lets get back to 4v4 on Midship, struggling to get that flag out pushing the team back in their base getting a 3 down before pulling. No more random orndnance, no more instant respawn, get the 9 one shot weapons out of here, dont let players spawn with a handheld shotgun, tell the environment map designer peoples that we need big environments in campaign we want smaller maps in multiplayer, flip that shit, cmon! Bring back ranks, humans are competitive by nature I want to know where I stand.

Stand up for your game 343 you are representing one of the greatest first person shooters ever made, tell MS to fuck off with their pre-order bonuses, their retailer exclusive pieces, skins, and avatar items. Their promotional outsourcing of player retention to Virgin gaming who are doing literally nothing after the shitty truck tournament can go away too, remove that red tape so Halo could possibly get back into MLG.

Return time invested back to unlocking aesthetics only, people that dont have time to grind shouldn't be punished. Thats embarassing, you're better than that Halo. People told me three days ago to add requisiton so I can reroll in fiesta to get incineration cannon and rocket launcher more often, then I realized I DONT HAVE THAT YET. Yea thats some bullshit. Thats why I'm getting incinerated cannon 9 times a fiesta game while I get it twice.

Turn sprint into an AA, dont let players double down on AA's especially ones that involve map movement Sprint/Jetpack? Do you know what that does with maps and map size? Its not Halo.

Watch a lot more Halo 1 and 2 games when you are making 5 please. Lets get back to the ABC's of Halo.

FyreWulff

I need more achievements in that but I'm not great. No way I see myself ever beating legendary. Normal was hard enough. It's the one Halo game I have very few achievements in.

Do it in co-op. But really, Legendary is knowing the right strat for each level and then doing it as fast as you can. It's more trial-and-error.

orznge

Banned
BTB can S my D. On a poster. Raise it high at Pax.

Along with a long banner of the population chart.

First question "When are you hiring Juices?"

I said goddamn lets get back to 4v4 on Midship, struggling to get that flag out pushing the team back in their base getting a 3 down before pulling. No more random orndnance, no more instant respawn, get the 9 one shot weapons out of here, dont let players spawn with a handheld shotgun, tell the environment map designer peoples that we need big environments in campaign we want smaller maps in multiplayer, flip that shit, cmon! Bring back ranks, humans are competitive by nature I want to know where I stand.

Stand up for your game 343 you are representing one of the greatest first person shooters ever made, tell MS to fuck off with their pre-order bonuses, their retailer exclusive pieces, skins, and avatar items. Their promotional outsourcing of player retention to Virgin gaming who are doing literally nothing after the shitty truck tournament can go away too, remove that red tape so Halo could possibly get back into MLG.

Return time invested back to unlocking aesthetics only, people that dont have time to grind shouldn't be punished. Thats embarassing, you're better than that Halo. People told me three days ago to add requisiton so I can reroll in fiesta to get incineration cannon and rocket launcher more often, then I realized I DONT HAVE THAT YET. Yea thats some bullshit. Thats why I'm getting incinerated cannon 9 times a fiesta game while I get it twice.

Turn sprint into an AA, dont let players double down on AA's especially ones that involve map movement Sprint/Jetpack? Do you know what that does with maps and map size? Its not Halo.

Watch a lot more Halo 1 and 2 games when you are making 5 please. Lets get back to the ABC's of Halo.

not happening; Halo 4 made too much money

Top Bottom