• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Remember Smashed in Ranked TS?

Each game had maps that weren't going to be Midship or Warlock TS every time. There's no better TS maps in the H2/H3/Reach/H4 setup than those two. You might come close in Sanctuary but you wouldn't find a great TS map after that.

I also don't think Lockout's initial spawns were great, but you had a solid chance of getting the Sniper and setup in the Snipe tower provided the proper teamwork. It wasn't super hard. Compare to a shitshow like Guardian that gifted the Overshield and Sniper to one team while the other struggled to get the Camo because that too was often contested for both teams. One of the most overrated maps in quite some time.

I'm sorry I can't let this go, but in what world was this the case against a decent team with BR spawn?

The Guardian thing is 100% true though I'd say.

Tunavi

Banned
At this point in Reach's life I had 1075 games played. I have 300 for Halo 4.

I have much less time these days and no one from GAF plays anymore.

I'm sorry I can't let this go, but in what world was this the case against a decent team with BR spawn?

The Guardian thing is 100% true though I'd say.

Both red and blue teams won even in MLG. These are professionals. You cant just hold a side and sniper forever, teams beat teams that were better.

You're not understanding the fact you cant blame the system and the fact the spawns stunk for it being a bad map. These are factors that can now be changed and the weapon system is no longer hold it forever and it wont spawn.

These factors dont make Lockout bad for TS. Lockout is a solid TS map.

Duji

Both red and blue teams won even in MLG. These are professionals. You cant just hold a side and sniper forever, teams beat teams that were better.

You're not understanding the fact you cant blame the system and the fact the spawns stunk for it being a bad map. These are factors that can now be changed and the weapon system is no longer hold it forever and it wont spawn.

These factors dont make Lockout bad for TS. Lockout is a solid TS map.

No one cares whether or not Lockout would work with better spawns.

Easily.

It might be the best Halo book so far. There's a couple spots where I'd wished I hadn't been reading it via Kindle cloud and actually had a book to slam shut so I could satisfactorily go, "NO F***ING WAY."

There's some really, really good moments and reveals that were way more than I had hoped for.

Better than Ghosts of Onyx? That is high praise indeed. Haven't read any of the forerunner books yet though.

Lots of people do. What no one cares about is someone saying that a heavily praised map is bad.

Obviously people are about someone saying that lockout is a bad map since it generated two pages of discussion

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Silentium Code [20K XP + video]

KYfkj8r.jpg

redeem - http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/classified
Thanks.

Halo 2 Legendary is garbage. If I ever get past these two Hunters that instantly kill me, it would be great.
Yeah, Halo 2 truly was the worst when it came to balancing difficulty.

Thanks.

Yeah, Halo 2 truly was the worst when it came to balancing difficulty.

Halo4 takes that cake for me. The Prometheans are fucking unkillable on legendary by yourself. Ive finished every Halo game alone on legendary, and this one i cant do it. Theyre fucking bullet sponges. I actually completely run out of ammo while fighting them. ridiculous.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Halo4 takes that cake for me. The Prometheans are fucking unkillable on legendary by yourself. Ive finished every Halo game alone on legendary, and this one i cant do it. Theyre fucking bullet sponges. I actually completely run out of ammo while fighting them. ridiculous.

Turn Catch on and just assassinate them.

Turn Catch on and just assassinate them.

Ya i could try that but still, they're just so frustrating on that mode that i dont even have any fun fighting them.

They stand there far away, your putting clip after clip right into their heads, nothing happening, he appears in front of me with his dogs everywhere, im dead. Rinse and repeat.

DeadNames

Banned
Just read the plot summary... Left me with a few questions that I'll spoiler tag.

So is Guilty Spark the ancient human named Chakas?

Both red and blue teams won even

Maybe it's because the color didn't determine your spawn on that map so splitting wins makes sense?
jT4rtZS.gif

For saying that the spawn system didn't mean much and how fucking dominant you were, how do you not know this?

You're not understanding the fact you cant blame the system and the fact the spawns stunk for it being a bad map.

Why the hell not? That's currently the only environment in which the map can be played. Could it be an amazing map for TS in a game other than Halo 2? Certainly. Is it actually a map (straight up Lockout) in another game? Not that I'm aware. So why the hell are you arguing a terribly moot point?

These are factors that can now be changed and the weapon system is no longer hold it forever and it wont spawn.

No shit. Doesn't. Matter.

These factors dont make Lockout bad for TS (except in H2). Lockout is a solid TS map for most other games, assuming you change the spawns.

Did you know Abandon could make a decent 1-sided objective map? Yeah? DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT IT'S A SHITTY MULTIFLAG MAP FOR THE ONLY HALO GAME THAT IT'S IN. Oh, wait, if it was in a Halo game with 1-flag, it might be better? Too bad that's not the case, huh?

Yea, just read a summary. I can't recommend the 3rd book, haven't read it myself, probably won't either, the 2nd one soured me reeeeeeeeally bad.

^ Yes.

Cryptum and Primordium were both pretty terrible, Silentium is getting a lot of praise on here though... are the people who like Silentium fans of those books?

DeadNames

Banned
For those who have read it, is Silentium a good time killer? Can I get invested in it? Cryptum was kinda boring and slow moving. I'm going on vacation soon and was wondering if I should download it on my Kindle.

Ya i could try that but still, they're just so frustrating on that mode that i dont even have any fun fighting them.

They stand there far away, your putting clip after clip right into their heads, nothing happening, he appears in front of me with his dogs everywhere, im dead. Rinse and repeat.

I know I posted this before, but this is the first half of my Legendary solo from day 1. Maybe you'll glean some (supremely outdated) strats or ideas?

http://www.twitch.tv/yourexwife/b/338524754

Ignore audio issues and my conversations with people :)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Prometheans are pretty terribly designed enemies, yeah, but I don't think anything in Halo 4 is as bad as near invisible Jackal snipers in Halo 2.

I found Legendary was relatively easy because I played through Heroic first and found out how to essentially game the system. Halo 4 makes it so that ammo (and checkpoint) management is half the game in the campaign, and that's what makes it appear tougher than it is. Once you figure that out they're not that bad at all. This is another terrible design choice, by the way.

Woorloog

Banned
Requiem Arcive II
Complete the first 15 chapters of SpOps on Legendary. (And then some more damn codes)
Really?
Solo, it is hellishly boring (not impossible or that hard, just a matter of time). Multi... eh, how? First i'd have to find a party, then deal with the fucking lag. Ignoring no more XBLG for me.

Also, what's the point of the Waypoint app on 360 requiring Gold when you can access all the necessary stuff from a PC, for free?

When was Silentium to be released? Gotta remember to buy it. It and final book of K-5 Trilogy are going to be the last Halo things i'm going to be buying for a long time (until Halo 6 at least, i think).

Ramirez

Cryptum and Primordium were both pretty terrible, Silentium is getting a lot of praise on here though... are the people who like Silentium fans of those books?

I thought Cryptum was excellent, Primordium was literally hundreds of pages of just walking with nothing happening.

Woorloog

Banned
Welcome to why Gold is a joke in general, nevermind the Waypoint app.

Tis ridiculous.

One reason i quit Gold is that the benefits are a joke. Other than multiplayer... if you want to play Halo or some other exclusive.
Gimme real reason to pay, give me a free game every few months or something. Permament discount for games and DLC. I don't know, something.
Assuming Sony won't charge for MP for PS4, i'll be playing Destiny on PS4 (well, assuming PS4 has also some exclusive i care about, otherwise i guess i'll skip Destiny?).

Legendary Halo is like babies first hard mode.

I need to replay Halo 2 Legendary. Some proper challenge... I just replayed Mass Effect 2 on Insanity and was disappointed in how easy it was. Halo 4 was a joke on Legendary... Halo 3 as well.

Ghazi

So I think I just wasted that 20k XP from the Silentium code, it's been so long since I played H4 that I forgot that I was 3k XP from hitting level 80. Thanks Obama

Maybe it's because the color didn't determine your spawn on that map so splitting wins makes sense?
jT4rtZS.gif

For saying that the spawn system didn't mean much and how fucking dominant you were, how do you not know this?

Why the hell not? That's currently the only environment in which the map can be played. Could it be an amazing map for TS in a game other than Halo 2? Certainly. Is it actually a map (straight up Lockout) in another game? Not that I'm aware. So why the hell are you arguing a terribly moot point?

Did you know Abandon could make a decent 1-sided objective map? Yeah? DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT IT'S A SHITTY MULTIFLAG MAP FOR THE ONLY HALO GAME THAT IT'S IN. Oh, wait, if it was in a Halo game with 1-flag, it might be better? Too bad that's not the case, huh?

...Yea something like that bro. OK I'll expand.

Abandon CAN be changed. Cause the tools are there. So thats why it doesnt get the excuse. Halo 2 was made a very long time ago (which is why I dont remember every little detail) so it gets a pardon on certain things. Blaiming the map for games problems is wrong...which is what you cant seem to grasp.

Omni

I really enjoyed Silentium. Cryptum was great albeit confusing at times, and Primordium was kinda boring in the middle with all the pointless walking. Silentium is pretty evenly paced - and it helps that there are multiple viewpoints which switch every few chapters.

It's better than both previous books and has some little tie-ins which most older fans will appreciate. Saying that, if you didn't like the previous books you probably won't like the third.

Sai-kun

Banned
For those who have read it, is Silentium a good time killer? Can I get invested in it? Cryptum was kinda boring and slow moving. I'm going on vacation soon and was wondering if I should download it on my Kindle.

I thought Cryptum was excellent, Primordium was literally hundreds of pages of just walking with nothing happening.

Yup, agree with Ramirez on this. I remember very specific parts of Primordium that seemed interesting, but those moments get lost in the shuffle of everyone walking everywhere.

Also I wouldn't call it an investment. It only took me like 6 hours to finish it.

you are so badass

Not the intention behind the post. It annoys me that to make Halo something difficult I have to add all these weird game changing bullshit effects like melee to recharge or no HUD.
Halo 2 was the hardest in the series and its primarily because its unfair. Quick draw jackal snipers and bosses that take x10 the damage than they did on normal. Its punishment caused by unfairness.
I want a Halo game that is hard because the AI is good not because it takes an entire BR to kill something.

Iv played many of these so called "Hard" segments and modes of traditionally revered hard games and ultimately they boil down to 3 things.

More HP for opponents
Unfair situations like the Delta Halo Jackal Sniper
More enemies

I get its difficult to balance a game when you get to harder levels but their has to be a better way than this?

Edit: I'm 6 episodes in and SouthLAnd is fantastic. Props to those who said it was great yesterday/last night

Top Bottom