• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

take away sprint and...wait for it...

make base movement much faster.

wow, evolution.

Yep. Everyone thinking it needs to be in every FPS is insane.

God its like Halo 1-3 was like the dark ages or something.

It worked fine and was overall better for gameplay. We want everyone to move at the same speed and be combat capable. Not choose between slow and combat capable vs fast and not being able to shoot. Like it used to be.

Sprint feels nice, but its all in your head. And its hard to get that perception out.

One on one encounters are terrible now. 2 on 1 are even worse because you cannot strafe. Sprint also made them introduce something else that get's little attention but equally detrimental = stopping power. Poor Strafe + Stopping power against H4 Jetpackers/Camo and automatic weapons makes for total horseshit.

Striker

I dont want to play Halo 3 for the rest of the eternity.
Neither do I but that's not because it lacks sprint. Plethora of other problems like its hit detection, gametypes, maps, and so forth.

How much of these non-Sprint Halo games have you played? When did you first get Xbox Live and first begin playing Halo? Not that it matters one way or another to me, but if it's later in the series' life, I can see why you and others who think like you garner this sort of opinion.

Madness

I didnt mean that, I want the series move forward not stay doing the same thing, its boring to play the same thing all over again.

Now we have more BTB maps, less teleporters, more "open spaces", using a vehicle is a death trap now. And yes in small maps its problematic but still people dont know what to do at close encounters.

I don't get it, did you not have fun with the previous games? If you didn't have fun, I can understand a change, but why change something that works and is fun? How often does Zelda, Mario, Grand Theft Auto change its core gameplay? Sure visuals get updated, new ways to play, but at its core the game remains the same. Not so with Halo 4. We have gone from 1v1, 2v2 or 4v4 equal start gameplay, to random elements deciding outcomes. Add in superhero abilities at will to an fps and you see the differences.

I dont want to play Halo 3 for the rest of the eternity.

Me neither, I'd have preferred to play Halo 4, but the difference is, unlike going from halo 2 to Halo 3, I feel like halo 4 is a step backwards in all facets of the game. It's more a continuation of reach as opposed to halo 3.

But you actually move faster, You jump more longer and go faster where the main battle is or I dont understant what are you tryng to say.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Jump more longer? Go faster where the main battle is? If anything sprint does allow you to go to an area where fighting is happening, but it leads to different scenarios. One is, coupled with instant re spawn, it causes you to be reckless. You just run into battle, get slaughtered, respawn and try again. Or, when you run to the main battle, you then run away if outnumbered. Sprint is a get out of jail free card most of the time. Don't like the fact you're getting donged on, just run away and hide till shields recharge. Oh crap, someone has a shotgun, just run across the map and hide. Not to mention that it buffs certain maps. Sprint plus a weapon like energy sword, means they can close in on you pretty fast. I don't know, I don't appreciate hide and seek gameplay in a shooter. I'm playing halo not mirrors Edge.

I think the big problem is how do you improve an old gameplay to the modern gaming 343i did the easy way and try with some COD mechanics.

What? How is it old gameplay? There is a reason the most successful games of all time rarely change, because it's never for the better. You say they try with some CoD mechanics. But Call of Duty rarely changes, and it's fans like that and it's why it sells like hotcakes. They hate new changes as much as any other fan.

the magnetism of the beam rifle really needs to get fixed. it's way too easy

reduce the magnetism of all weapons while you're at it. and make everyone faster and remove movement inertia

wwm0nkey

Ok guys I am hosting Murder Miners Halo customs now, it will be under Team Murder match or just ask for an invite if you want to join.
(Not expecting a major turn out)

I miss the Spectre. Four people strapping in for a joyride, turret projectiles that would bounce off anything, climbing walls on Containment...

karl stop its hard being alone :( :( :(

karl2177.jpg

There is now the ability to tune weapons without a title update. Plus, team throwdown now has the superior doubles pro settings. And FFA will be testing new community forge maps.

The doubles pro settings are just a playlist update. The weapons thing is nice I guess but where are the rank? Where is the balancing? How about fixing the strafe?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Shout out to Steely and the rest of the Dog Pack. I'm gonna shit on a rug and drink out of the toilet in your honor tonight.

But for reals, happy birthday.

Caja 117

What? How is it old gameplay? There is a reason the most successful games of all time rarely change, because it's never for the better. You say they try with some CoD mechanics. But Call of Duty rarely changes, and it's fans like that and it's why it sells like hotcakes. They hate new changes as much as any other fan.

I never understood why some people have a need for drastic changes, I get small subtle stuff, to try and Distinguish itself from the previous title, but not drastic stuff.

sorry wwmonkey, it keeps saying the game can't be found then freezes my box. are there any plans to have set starting weapons and weapons on the map and all that? And where did you get the majora's mask helmet?

IHaveIce

Banned
Are you kidding me, today you guys are playing murder miners again? :(

I'm moving the next days and all my stuff is already packed, will probably play some Halo 2 Vista then :(

Caja 117

I think camo just needs to go. Add it in ordnance.
It wont go, a decent camo AA fix can be something like this:

-works like the Halo 3 camo equipment, meaning once you activate camo, you cant deactivate it.

-once depleted, you will have to wait 2 minutes to use it again, just like camo used to spawn as a powerup.

-Make the camo run out Slightly quicker when the player is not moving.

-works like the Halo 3 camo equipment, meaning once you activate camo, you cant deactivate it.

-once depleted, you will have to wait 2 minutes to use it again, just like camo used to spawn as a powerup.

Not 2 minutes but I definitely like this.

• Lasts [30] seconds
• Lose [5-10] seconds if you stand still (no spider-webbing)
• Recharge time [45] seconds? If it's too long the player will either purposely die to use it again or avoid it entirely. Most people don't have 2 minute lifespans...

Personally I want it to die a painful death, but this can be a decent compromise.

Jetpack is next.

wwm0nkey

sorry wwmonkey, it keeps saying the game can't be found then freezes my box. are there any plans to have set starting weapons and weapons on the map and all that? And where did you get the majora's mask helmet?

I would re-download it if its doing that.

Also yes they do plan on doing on map weapon placements. I also got the Majora helmet for helping test the game. I think you get it for having a map in the game too?

They should just introduce a "Powerup" station-looking thing with Overshield > Active Camo > Speed Boost > Damage Boost alternating as pickups on maybe a 90 to 120-second duration or so.

Also, bare minimum I'd love to see Campaign get the Shield and Sword AA treatment, I mean think about it. All of them running off of a universal battery and you can cycle through them, customize the order they're placed and whatnot. Rather than start off with all of them, you could find them in a hub world individually to provide powerups, Metroid-style! Some ideas:

Sprint
Auto Turret (Halo 3 version, follows you)
Hologram
Backpedaler (Reverse Hologram)
Thruster
Jump Jet (Double Jump)
Hardlight Shield
Bubble Shield
Regen Field
Active Camo
Power Drain ("sticks" to you)
Spotter (Provides a Spartan Ops-style persistent waypoint until one of you dies)
Nullifier (Jams AAs AND can stun Promethean units)

I mean hell, if it's campaign you could even bring back some of the crazy awesome stuff like Invincibility, just give it a 10-second duration and a 30-second recharge time. They shouldn't be afraid to go crazy with campaign sandboxes.

Disconect

Neo Member

And they can add something wen the camo is scoping . Making him a bit visible.

Striker

How 'bout:

- Camo is a powerup, you fight for it, you pick it up and it lasts 30 seconds, no activating whenever you please.

But that's "old" to some fans in here. Need to evolve and give everybody a backpack full of frustration.

Not picking on you but honestly, what is one positive thing about a player becoming invisible? We constantly debate player movement, speed, strafe etc. The only thing Camo does in encourage camping. How is that good for the sandbox?

Havok

Not picking on you but honestly, what is one positive thing about a player becoming invisible? We constantly debate player movement, speed, strafe etc. The only thing Camo does in encourage camping. How is that good for the sandbox?
It only promotes camping when it refreshes quickly, as with the current AA implementation. The Camo powerup actually encouraged the opposite: You had 30 seconds, once it was activated you had to push and do so quickly or it was wasted.

• Recharge time [45] seconds? If it's too long the player will either purposely die to use it again or avoid it entirely. Most people don't have 2 minute lifespans...
There isn't anything stopping them from removing the current AA meter "fills on respawn" behavior. It might take some work, but would end up being a better system.

kylej

Banned
instead of a title update could we just get a new developer in charge. 343 seems like they're completely lost behind the wheel

How 'bout:

- Camo is a powerup, you fight for it, you pick it up and it lasts 30 seconds, no activating whenever you please.

But that's "old" to some fans in here. Need to evolve and give everybody a backpack full of frustration.

How about they just get rid of it? Overshield is a powerup. Camo is a cheat practically. It's never been good.

Jetpacks and Camo should never be in a Halo game again. There is a reason nobody is playing it, we have to address what's wrong here instead of bandaids.

Caja 117

I think you guys are misunderstanding my point, Is almost a given camo AA wont be taken out, might as well do a decent nerf, I dont think anyone around here misses the camo pick-up powerup more than I do.

For me, all the AA with no Exception should be taken out, but, that wont happen.

Top Bottom