• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

heckfu

Banned
This place is getting too catty again, let me know when posters start acting like human beings again. I'll be back tonight.

So no legitimate reason, got it. Thanks.

Curiosity. I wonder how and why the Halo experience was gutted. Past Halo games usually match the features of the previous title, at least. I also wonder about the outright refusal to acknowledge the community outside the very rare hazy response that amounts to "Don't worry/trust us". I like Halo so that's why it matters to me.
Edit: Also because I don't want to think poorly of 343, but when key developers say things like "it's OP but lol iz fun" it's hard not to.

Why are you on a gaming forum?

It will never happen. Halo 4 can be the worst game in the franchise but legal obligations mean you can't talk bad about your baby because then you'll be killing any shred of hope your audience has. As much as people want to say "but admitting they have a problem is the first step!" it's a slippery slope that's impossible to keep both sides happy. Things will change, fixes will be made, and some things will be ignored.

I can confidently say that by the end of Halo 4's lifetime, it will finally be the game it should have been when it shipped. I know that's not the best answer for everyone but it's all we can work with right now. It was their first major game and we have to respect that. With some proper refinement, community opinion, creative direction and improved working conditions due to the generational leap, Halo 5 could just as well save Halo. Will it? We have no idea.

But I'm willing to be patient if it means they might turn everything around for their next game.

I have a strong feeling Halo 5 will save Halo.

I completely agree.

Nebula

It will never happen. Halo 4 can be the worst game in the franchise but legal obligations mean you can't talk bad about your baby because then you'll be killing any shred of hope your audience has. As much as people want to say "but admitting they have a problem is the first step!" it's a slippery slope that's impossible to keep both sides happy. Things will change, fixes will be made, and some things will be ignored.

I can confidently say that by the end of Halo 4's lifetime, it will finally be the game it should have been when it shipped. I know that's not the best answer for everyone but it's all we can work with right now. It was their first major game and we have to respect that. With some proper refinement, community opinion, creative direction and improved working conditions due to the generational leap, Halo 5 could just as well save Halo. Will it? We have no idea.

But I'm willing to be patient if it means they might turn everything around for their next game.

I'll be looking to at least rent Halo 5 for the campaign alone. If they manage to scrub up and get stuff done by the end of Halo 4, I'll dive into Halo 5 Multiplayer head first on this rental. If it provides me with some enjoyment, I will purchase it.

Never buying a Halo or CoD game again without trying it first though. With CoD though I haven't bought one since Black Ops 1. Shame I have to start this trend with Halo now.

SWERVE!

Caja 117

The more I think about that achievement, the chances of me having a hemorrhage goes up. Who came up with that one?

That achievement still Haunts me in my dreams, a 5 point achievement mind you, here are my highlight:

-had to derank bellow 30 Because players,well, they just killed me too much.

-i actually got 3 other players in the party to boost the achievement, when it was my turn to get the achievement, for some reason the laser killed just one guy while it left the second one no shields.

-had to delete all map packs and use original Halo 3 CD to have a bigger chance to get or high ground or construct.

-After I was almost demoralized trying to get this achievement, my nephew, someone who only had play a couple of Halo games in MM pulls off this achievement....

I just gave up, now i have that beautiful 1745 points in Halo 3

Booties

Banned
Can anyone get me this picture without any text?

tNJHTNA.jpg

Two for One was easy I think I ended up getting it on like six accounts still MP achievements should always be like Win 100 games Win 1000 games. Kill 10000 enemies. These allow you to grind for something that really doesnt mean anything and really doesnt change up your gameplay. In fact its a motivator to do well and play correctly. These also tell people keep playing our game. It doesnt effect gameplay though, its all whether or not people care about the achievements.

Second of all call Siggy up when youre about done campaign, and be like hey come test our campaign and figure out a good achievable but challenging time for our campaign levels, and when you get every levels speedrun time achievement you get the overall Siggy Certified achievement. You have all these great communities like HSH, give them a throwback instead of shitting on them by removing features they sort of need.

Give in to online streaming like livestreaming in game if the next Xbox doesnt have livestreaming by default. Halos Twitch community is practically dead except for when Ninja streams. Theres something crazy like 23 million UU's on Twitch every week or maybe it was month I forgot the stat. Anyways what this means is if Halo is up on top 10 people are going to wander in and check the game out. Its like free advertising and strenghtens the community.

Booties

Banned
How is a AAA video game not being made by a vertically integrated developer?

Seriously think about that. Imagine if Apple didn't do everything in house. We'd get some serious shit products from them. 343 has this golden apple and they're like, "Yo 'you're getting a Dell, dude!' guy, want to design a map for us?"

MaDGaMEZ

Neo Member
Slowly as nothing really has changed in Halo 4 since launch I play less and less. Even for a first effort this is just sad, the gameplay was ok in Reach all they really had to do was tweak and actually include half decent maps for multiplayer as well as include ranked playlists then ship it. Campaign was good multiplayer in Halo 4 sent it to an early grave.

With that said See You Starside! One thing I can't stress enough is how good Bungie is with there community and Bungie.net, that makes a world of difference.

343 hire some real web devs, make Halo competitive again and "they will come"

I had a strong feeling Halo 3 would save Halo.

I had a strong feeling ODST's FF would keep me interested for more than a couple weeks.

I had a strong feeling Reach would save Halo.

I had a strong feeling the Anniversary TU would save Halo.

I had a strong feeling Halo 4 would save Halo.

I had a strong feeling this TU would save Halo
at least a tiny bit

Some new sequel or "next Halo game" will be announced and I'm sure the cycle will continue.

I guess that just leaves me with two "safe" options:

Combat Evolved 2 or Halo Wars 2.

Fuchsdh

That achievement still Haunts me in my dreams, a 5 point achievement mind you, here are my highlight:

-i actually got 3 other players in the party to boost the achievement, when it was my turn to get the achievement, for some reason the laser killed just one guy while it left the second one no shields.

-had to delete all map packs and use original Halo 3 CD to have a bigger chance to get or high ground or construct.

-After I was almost demoralized trying to get this achievement, my nephew, someone who only had play a couple of Halo games in MM pulls off this achievement....

The hoops you had to go through to match up with Boosters in Lone Wolves was actually a lot of fun. Write down the menu commands to search, change your language to Korean or whatever, then search for everyone... And on occasion actually get a legitimate player in your game who is utterly nonplussed as to why people aren't playing the game right.

Caja 117

Two for One was easy I think I ended up getting it on like six accounts still MP achievements should always be like Win 100 games Win 1000 games. Kill 10000 enemies. These allow you to grind for something that really doesnt mean anything and really doesnt change up your gameplay. In fact its a motivator to do well and play correctly. These also tell people keep playing our game. It doesnt effect gameplay though, its all whether or not people care about the achievements.

Second of all call Siggy up when youre about done campaign, and be like hey come test our campaign and figure out a good achievable but challenging time for our campaign levels, and when you get every levels speedrun time achievement you get the overall Siggy Certified achievement. You have all these great communities like HSH, give them a throwback instead of shitting on them by removing features they sort of need.

Give in to online streaming like livestreaming in game if the next Xbox doesnt have livestreaming by default. Halos Twitch community is practically dead except for when Ninja streams. Theres something crazy like 23 million UU's on Twitch every week or maybe it was month I forgot the stat. Anyways what this means is if Halo is up on top 10 people are going to wander in and check the game out. Its like free advertising and strenghtens the community.

I wont say the action itself was hard, but it was an achievement that had to a lot to do with chance, i did however loved the campaign scoring achievements, they were a lot of fun. And a feature that should had stayed on Halo.

Gordon

are there patch notes for the TU
In the bulletin, and also separately here.

Edit: On the topic of pulse nades, the FFA playlist will make it a lot easier. All you need is somebody shanking somebody else. As long as the shanker has at least 3 shots on him/her, it's the easiest double.

So are they disabling the ability to EMP friendly vehicles? The wording of it confuses me.
Yeah - in MM friendly fire is off, but EMPs still affected friendly vehicles leading to excessive EMP griefing with no recourse beyond splattering. Now friendly EMP is controlled by the same FF toggle.

Just read the achievements. That Pulse Grenade one is bs. Glad I never tried to get 100% completion because I'll be pissed if that's the one that stops me.

Toa TAK

Banned

Never give up.

Gordon

So.....

By the time the TU is released this game will be just shy of 4 months post-launch.

Does 343 really think that the only bit of sandbox balancing that needed to be done was a distance nerf on the boltshot?

Like, for reals?
No?
The 2.21.13 Halo 4 Title Update is live. While this update tackles a significant amount of bugs, glitches and issues we’re now happy to call resolved, there’s more balancing to be done and more matters of contention to address, and we are actively working with the Halo 4 game team to investigate the feasibility of additional fixes. For now, here is a breakdown of what is included in this particular title update.
At least, not openly.

You realize that requiring someone to get a double kill with a sticky detonator would be nearly as stupid as their Pulse Grenade and Spartan Laser achievements, right? For different reasons (placing an artificial importance on a weapon leading to betrayals and the construction of a secondary, team-detrimental goal for players), but still totally dumb. But also no, the sticky detonator does instantaneous damage, the Pulse Grenade's damage is largely DOT outside of the final blast, which no player in their right mind would stick around for.

The point is that situational achievements are moronic. The odds that you're going to get two people standing there or assassinating each other long enough for you to get the throw off, have the pulse occur, and get both kills? Not zero, but miniscule. That's what makes it luck based - not necessarily the mechanics of the weapon, but the situational requirements that can only be set up for you by other players' behavior.
No argument there - I think a lot of achievements are stupid. In fact, I think the concept, or at least MS's implementation, of achievements is pretty dumb.
As for the pulse grenade's initial instantaneous damage, it's enough to kill a player that has 3 DMR shots on them. Here, watch this. It will be easier with FFA, as you'll just need to find somebody getting shanked by somebody who has been involved in combat. If you run with pulse grenades regularly it'll happen within the first four or five games of FFA.
As for being luck based, in that sense everything is, but I think the likelihood is a lot higher than you realize.

If Pulse grenades stuck to people they'd be so much better.

I hope they don't actually do because that'd show how little I use them
They don't, but they do stick to surfaces. So you can stick one on the ceiling. Because that's cool..
It's actually really handy because you can stick one to a sniper's cover and they can't peek without taking damage or backing up.

Havok

Encouraging the two most offensive armor abilities in the game via achievements? Gross. A jetpack-related one sneaking in there? Ew. At least there's a thruster pack one thrown in. Oh, it's to try to get people to double melee? Well, thanks for being responsible about your achievement design, guys. Continuing the long tradition of atrocious Halo multiplayer achievements, I guess.
I don't really see how luck plays that much of a role. I mean, does the sticky detonator operate on luck? Because pulse grenades are very much like a dumbed down version of the sticky det.
You realize that requiring someone to get a double kill with a sticky detonator would be nearly as stupid as their Pulse Grenade and Spartan Laser achievements, right? For different reasons (placing an artificial importance on a weapon leading to betrayals and the construction of a secondary, team-detrimental goal for players), but still totally dumb. But also no, the sticky detonator does instantaneous damage, while the Pulse Grenade's damage is largely DOT outside of the final blast, which no player in their right mind would stick around for.

The point is that situational achievements are, in general, a really bad idea. The odds that you're going to get two people standing there or assassinating each other long enough for you to get the throw off, have the pulse occur, and get both kills? Not zero, but miniscule. That's what makes it luck based - not necessarily the mechanics of the weapon, but the situational requirements that can only be set up for you by other players' behavior. In this case, those situational requirements are set really high and don't play to the strengths of the weapon's mechanics.

Ghazi

Fuchsdh

Yeah because they shouldn't. They're an excellent situational weapon, like better versions of the Halo 1 plasma grenades. That said, they're situational, so unless its an objective game type I don't roll with them.

Gordon

Gordon, whats your gamertag out of curiosity.
"WhackyGordon" - it's on my profile. And if you're wondering it's autogen'd. My old [pre-Halo] tag got jacked, and this was originally a free 3-month lol

Why does that GT ring bells? What communities do you circle, if you don't mind me asking?
Blueprint, Forgehub, Gearbox forums, and here.
As for ringing bells, I generally leave an impression. I take being a casual seriously lol

Nebula

"WhackyGordon" - it's on my profile. And if you're wondering it's autogen'd. My old [pre-Halo] tag got jacked, and this was originally a free 3-month lol

Why does that GT ring bells? What communities do you circle, if you don't mind me asking?

BLUEPRINT?

Top Bottom