• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Pop

Not to join team slrp, but it will be better. Everything they've done since launch is refine or change their launch game.

Adding in X after death, removing instant respawn and loadouts from playlist, bringing in static on map ordnance. Heck even the flat spaces on forge shoes they understand what their longtime fans want.

We have to give them the benefit of another game as they are no longer a virgin studio.

Let's see how the upcoming TU, free forge island, csr and other features are inplemented. Another key thing to note is that Halo 5 will launch on new hardware, we can expect they'll have the space and technology not to skimp on much.

If skill ranks aren't in game, then who cares.

Remember, 343i is adding stuff back that should have been in since day 1. Why can't people seem to get that. It's like admitting that you're wrong without saying it. They took what made halo great and completely did the opposite. It's not like this is a new AAA title, the foundation of halo has already been laid. All they had to do was add new features on top of that not remove key features.

LD2k

Neo Member
Had a chance to play the new maps. Really dug the map I played (forget the name of it). Drove 2 Flag Caps in via a Warthog and saw the names of some of the opposition had "GAF" as their handle. Nice.

Also, the folks at 343i are awesome. Glad I finally got to meet Andy and Jess among others.

Can't they just make an infinity menu that has every awful infinity game type in there so there is no confusion. Then put objective, swat, slayer pro, mlg, and all the other good stuff in another list called "halo 3"

Booshka

Remember, 343i is adding stuff back that should have been in since day 1. Why can't people seem to get that. It's like admitting that you're wrong without saying it. They took what made halo great and completely did the opposite. It's not like this is a new AAA title, the foundation of halo has already been laid. All they had to do was add new features on top of that not remove key features.

Halo 4 would have automatically been better than Reach if there was parity with feature set and a few dumb decisions weren't made. It could have been better than Halo 3 with better maps and classic settings with Ranks. But, they fucked it up and made Call of Duty Halo.

Had a chance to play the new maps. Really dug the map I played (forget the name of it). Drove 2 Flag Caps in via a Warthog and saw the names of some of the opposition had "GAF" as their handle. Nice.

Also, the folks at 343i are awesome. Glad I finally got to meet Andy and Jess among others.

Second this. As much as I loathe some of the design decisions that were made for Halo 4 they really are a nice group.

Madness

I'm not agreeing with 343 at all, I've wanted ranks since Halo 3, but the point I'm making is, who does 343 listen to? There are folks on HaloGAF even, who don't want/like ranks.

It's nice to think about our perfect game, but it's never reality.

I don't like Halo 4 much, it's probably my least played Halo game, but I'm not going to sit here and state that what I want, is what everyone wants.

My ideal Halo is 4v4, BR starts Halo on a small map. Static weapon spawns, no instant respawn or ordnance etc. But I can guarantee, that type of Halo is going to get shit scores from the casuals who run IGN, OXM and other publications.

Hell just a few pages back, we got a junior who said Halo 4 shits on Halo 3, so who knows what people want.

Caja 117

If true, why does throwdown have one of the lowest playlist populations? I mean I like it, but It's low.

Because most of The kids that play halo cant get a kill without Using camo or motion tracker, and once they get into throwdown they face the cold reality of playing against skilled players and Going negative 20 everytime

Madness

This is correct

Also, just went on Twitch to watch some Halo 4. Click on Halo 4...

the vast majority of streamers are streaming Halo 3.

It's simple. The people who enjoy streaming and showing competitive matches, don't play Halo 4.

Remember when Black Ops 2 announced twitch streaming or something? It was posted on waypoint and someone here linked the people's reactions.

Everyone was like wtf is twitch, who streams games, who watches someone else play etc. And it's true, casuals and people who suck at the game aren't going to stream. The people who are good at the game, don't play it much and so why stream no?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Oh, whats Monday?

Kevin Franklin and I finally nailed down a time for the interview. Sadly, the topic of interview has changed about 3848528783 times over the past few months. A lot of questions that were submitted to me from HaloGAF aren't really relevant anymore :/

NOKYARD

The lack of precision editing pissed off a lot of Forgers.
Only the ones who are not aware of alternate methods. I'm a 'precision' forger and i have never used precision editing (well, maybe once or twice). Didn't even know it was missing until reading about it here. I hate to keep rolling out this pic but if this level of precision was available in Halo 3 (no snap, coordinates, or phased items) i don't see what the problem is in Halo 4 Forge.
When do we get the deets on this forge map?!? Dammit!
It's three flat Islands. There you go.

a look at the inventory of new forge pieces would be nice for planning ahead, please

I still wish the Forge Island skybox had some noticeable visual difference on one half from another. Time of day/lighting/color change on one side would go a long way to help players orient themselves.. as of right now it looks far too similar in all directions.

Kevin Franklin and I finally nailed down a time for the interview. Sadly, the topic of interview has changed about 3848528783 times over the past few months. A lot of questions that were submitted to me from HaloGAF aren't really relevant anymore :/

Oh cool, I remember you mentioning that before. How exactly did the topic shift, and what did it shift towards?

Only the ones who are not aware of alternate methods. I'm a 'precision' forger and i have never used precision editing (well, maybe once or twice). Didn't even know it was missing until reading about it here. I hate to keep rolling out this pic but if this level of precision was available in Halo 3 (no snap, coordinates, or phased items) i don't see what the problem is in Halo 4 Forge.

a look at the inventory of new forge pieces would be nice for planning ahead, please

I really liked the look of those Forge pieces, it would have been cool to see more like them in Halo 4. Would have been a nice break from the silver/white.

Tashi

Oh cool, I remember you mentioning that before. How exactly did the topic shift, and what did it shift towards?

It shifted towards essentially everything we saw in the panel. I should be getting clarification on a lot of stuff. Especially what this new system can do.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

The islands are elevated, so accurate remakes of Hemorrhage won't be possible. :( lol

Anyone know if a Hemorrhage-sized map is possible to make on the biggest island? It seems a bit small.

Madness

AFq5yHp.jpg

Considering I'm definitely undermeasuring it, I think Big Island is roughly 80x80 WU.

an 80x80 area is almost the entire island in Forge World..

VMuK9wMl.jpg

and most of, but not all of, Blood Gulch:

V8Ekbk9l.jpg

80x80 would also make sense as the biggest you can make any volume (objective, spawn zone, safe zone) is 100x100, so making the island 80x80 would let you cover it with a single Safe volume effectively + breathing room for flying vehicles to turn around in

For a new page since people missed it. Here is a rudimentary size comparison of the new island courtesy of FyreWulff.

Tashi

You better ask at least 20 of my questions.

Right now I have it split in 4 sections:

-CSR
-Title Update 4
-Forge Island
-General stuff

Really going to be hitting the CSR and Title Update stuff hard. We'll have Forge Island for ourselves in 2 weeks so I'll probably keep that brief. Then some general stuff depending on how much time we have. I might mix general stuff with the other shit if it comes up.

I should probably just post the questions I've already written up here huh?

Overdoziz

Banned
Right now I have it split in 4 sections:

-CSR
-Title Update 4
-Forge Island
-General stuff

Really going to be hitting the CSR and Title Update stuff hard. We'll have Forge Island for ourselves in 2 weeks so I'll probably keep that brief. Then some general stuff depending on how much time we have. I might mix general stuff with the other shit if it comes up.

I should probably just post the questions I've already written up here huh?
Ask him why he killed halo etc.

Tashi

Ok here are the questions I have so far. I don't know if I'll get to ask all of these depending on the time and how the conversation flows.

CSR

-Can you talk about the decision to roll out CSR into every playlist both competitive and noncompetitive rather than just a select few like Throwdown or Doubles?

-What’s the reason behind having ranks in Waypoint only and not in game?

-How will the rank reset work in CSR? (Monthly, Season)

-Will the current True Skill data be reset when CSR launches?

-How does Join in Progress mesh with CSR? I would want to start a ranked match even from the beginning

-If a player wins every single game, how many games will it take for them to get to 50?

-A lot players in Halo 3 had issues with their rank being locked, what measures have you guys taken to ensure this doesn’t happen with CSR?

-How will CSR change over time to keep it from stagnating? Possibility of a level cap increase?

Title Update 4

-What universal weapon changes are coming to Halo 4 with this new system that you guys have implemented?

-Can you change characteristics of the player Spartan with this system? Hit boxes, physics, player inertia, melee speed and damage?

-People have wanted classic settings for a long time now. With this new system, is it finally coming?

-Is it possible for this system to allow for classic settings (4 shot BR, faster sniper rate of fire, no sprint, changed jump height)

-Does the system allow you to change the spread on the BR?

-Can you change aspects of powerups? Armor Abilities? Grenades?

-Does the system allow for playlists to limit players to only certain items in their loadouts?

-Describe Legendary Slayer settings

Forge Island

-How long has Forge Island been in development? 343 or Certain Affinity/

-Can you make maps over the water?

General stuff

-You answered a question in the panel about descoping not returning. I’m assuming this is not possible with the new system. Can you talk about the decision to remove descoping in the first place?

-With the personal ordnance system the path was set to bring Active Camo back as a power-up, why did it remain an Armor Ability?

-Most of the maps in Halo 4 are large, BTB maps. There is however 1 actual BTB playlist. What’s up with that?

-Monthly challenge has been the same since launch. What’s up with that?

Anything to say to fans who have put this game down for the foreseeable future?

Ok here are the questions I have so far. I don't know if I'll get to ask all of these depending on the time and how the conversation flows.

Good stuff. Might want to merge some of the redundant/similar questions to narrow it down a bit more. I feel that some of them may be a little difficult or unnecessary to answer though, like how many wins till 50.

Looking forward to the interview.

Ghazi

Ask him what he thinks the reason is the MP population has dropped so rapidly?

I know we're supposed to PM questions, but this obviously isn't going to be asked anyway

Tashi

THATS WHY I DONT CARE ABOUT THE TU, CSR OR FORGE ISLAND

I WANT TO KNOW WHY THEY KILLED HALO DAMMIT TASHI GIVE ME THIS ONE THING

343 killed Overdoziz, not Halo.

Good stuff. Might want to merge some of the redundant/similar questions to narrow it down a bit more. Looking forward to the interview.

I'm sure a lot of stuff will overlap just naturally in conversation.

Here is the questions i put forward.

Question 1.
Halo Multiplayer has previously followed a stricter set of rules. Weapons on map with timers, Equal starting ect. Its evident that with halo 4 they tried to evolve this formula what was the reasoning behind such a move.

Question 2
Halo 4's Population is currently on the lower end of the scale, while obviously not an intended outcome is it something that they are working towards changing and how do they hope to accomplish this.

Question 3
The competitive community is very vocal in regards to what Halo they want to play. Are they looking at something that will appease these fans. Additionally the removal of sprint is a much requested feature which we have seen is possible from modders. Is it something 343 has experimented with or is sprint a feature that will stay with Halo all the way.

Question 4
We know dual wielding was something that was trailed early in development. What was the decision behind not including it and what other cut content can he speak about. Favorite cut weapon or map.

Question 5
How expansive and diverse is 343i's ability to alter the game post launch. Without confirming or denying is something like DLC armor, DLC gametypes or DLC weapons possible.

Question 6
Was the grenade launcher something they found problematic or in some way negative to the halo experience it was something of a fan favourite and it's cutting seemed without cause. Was it just part of a Sandbox reshuffle or was their more intent put it to axing certain weapons.

Question 7

Biggest regret post launch.

Question 8
Biggest Fear pre launch

Question 9
In an ideal world with no worry of money what Halo story/character would he like to see a game made from.

Question 10

Anything to say to fans who have put this game down for the foreseeable future?

Ask him when the playlist consolidations for Halo 3 and Reach that were promised are going to happen. "After Halo 4 is done" technically gives them forever. We need a date.

Also trick him into admitting Halo 3 steam. I need it.

Ask him how he thinks Halo 4 will be remembered in five years time.

NOKYARD

I still wish the Forge Island skybox had some noticeable visual difference on one half from another. Time of day/lighting/color change on one side would go a long way to help players orient themselves.. as of right now it looks far too similar in all directions.
At least the shadows are long so we can use them to orient players.

The islands are elevated, so accurate remakes of Hemorrhage won't be possible. :( lol

Anyone know if a Hemorrhage-sized map is possible to make on the biggest island? It seems a bit small.

Hemorrhage-sized is (i assume) possible, but Hemorrhage itself is impossible because the rolling hills are not there. It would be a base to base pingfest.

I wish we had a forge map with uneven terrain and canyon walls
j/k

Tashi

Ask him when the playlist consolidations for Halo 3 and Reach that were promised are going to happen. "After Halo 4 is done" technically gives them forever. We need a date.

Also trick him into admitting Halo 3 steam. I need it.

lol I'm not going to ask him about Halo 3 and Reach playlist consolidation.

Also, if he does say something that he shouldn't:

A: Interview would be edited
B: I probably would keep my mouth shut

One more thing to add to the questions. I'd really just like to see what 343's design process is. How they go about putting things where and why, how they reach certain decisions, etc. I think seeing how they work will help us understand them more than just straight out answers.

I'm actually pleased they're elevated. I thought they were just flat discs on the water at first, but the elevation is a nice touch. I've always wanted something like that, though admittedly I'd prefer if at least one side had a wall with a waterfall or something aesthetic.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
At least the shadows are long so we can use them to orient players.

Hemorrhage-sized is (i assume) possible, but Hemorrhage itself is impossible because the rolling hills are not there. It would be a base to base pingfest.

I wish we had a forge map with uneven terrain and canyon walls
j/k

Wouldn't it be possible to make it using rocks and Forge pieces? It would look terrible, but it would probably work.

Booshka

lol welcome to the real world.

Which ones do you expect to get bullshit PR responses from? I think this is going to be a pretty meaty interview.

edit:^^I guess I'm not living in the real world lol

I just expect a lot of the questions won't actually get answered directly. Instead they will just be a platform for damage control nonsense, "We're working on it. Hope for the best. Maybe!
No future plans at this time." That kind of bullshit. I hope for the best, but I expect the worst.

heckfu

Banned
Which ones do you expect to get bullshit PR responses from? I think this is going to be a pretty meaty interview.

edit:^^I guess I'm not living in the real world lol

not saying they're all bullshit PR responses but you're dealing with a major corporation who have spent presumably millions carefully refining their plans for the game and with that comes information roll out.

They control the information, they control when it gets released. It's not a bad thing, it's just how things work.

Tashi

not saying they're all bullshit PR responses but you're dealing with a major corporation who have spent presumably millions carefully refining their plans for the game and with that comes information roll out.

They control the information, they control when it gets released. It's not a bad thing, it's just how things work.

Oh I know that. I know that PR is going to comb over this interview before any of you hear it. I'm just hopeful that they won't completely lock this shit down.

Quick OT question: Is anyone else's bracket updating weirdly? The scores for the Oregon/St.Louis match are going all over the place. Sometimes I refresh and it says Oregon are winning 32-19. Other times it is giving other scores. Is this happening anyone else?

z39zPUZ.jpg

It's 35-32 to SLU at HT, right??

Top Bottom