• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

heckfu

Banned
Quick OT question: Is anyone else's bracket updating weirdly? The scores for the Oregon/St.Louis match are going all over the place. Sometimes I refresh and it says Oregon are winning 32-19. Other times it is giving other scores. Is this happening anyone else?

http://i.imgur.com/z39zPUZ.jpg[IMG]

It's 35-32 to SLU at HT, right??[/QUOTE]

35-19

Which ones do you expect to get bullshit PR responses from? I think this is going to be a pretty meaty interview.

edit:^^I guess I'm not living in the real world lol

Tashi, I have one simple question.

Given that there were decisions made to take the game in a different direction, why would you not give the options of a true classic style to avoid backlash from the fans?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tashi, I have one simple question.

Given that there were decisions made to take the game in a different direction, why would you not give the options of a true classic style to avoid backlash from the fans?

What would you gain from getting the answer to that question? More ammo to talk shit? Your guess is probably as good an as you would get anyway.

Madness

Wait so blood Gulch isn't possible with the new islands? Then why the hell was that guy in the panel saying can someone please remake blood gulch?

Sorry not a forger, just curious.

What would you gain from getting the answer to that question? More ammo to talk shit? Your guess is probably as good an as you would get anyway.

I am trying to understand it. It doesn't make any sense to not allow, at least in customs a classic experience if you are changing the game so much. You asked for questions, I didn't think it was worded in any kind of offensive way. Its a legit question since they seem hell bent on not allowing players access to classic Halo.

bsangel also tweeted this for the reason of no in-game CSR

eqoRGk5.png

obviously cheating/selling accounts was probably a reason too. i don't understand why they just don't fix the banhammer

Duji

-What’s the reason behind having ranks in Waypoint only and not in game?

This question is just begging for this answer: "Because we wan to reduce the incentive for cheating. Next."

Here's how I would ask the question:

How come games like SC2 and LoL are able to implement fully functional ranking systems with visible ranks and very few cheaters yet the great minds behind the Halo franchise are unable to and have to resort to a half-assed fix to lower the incentive to cheat by also equally lowering the incentive to play the game? Does 343 really think there is absolutely no way to stop boosting? Because that is just flat out wrong.

Except make it a lot nicer. lol

But the #1 question that should be asked is this one:

Under Bungie Halo was largely a 4v4-centric shooter. What was the philosophical reasoning behind apportioning a higher percentage of the map pool to larger play spaces, emphasizing big team play? Does 343i now consider Halo to be a larger team game first and a 4v4 game second? And is the preferential focus on BTB maps indicative of the series' future direction?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I am trying to understand it. It doesn't make any sense to not allow, at least in customs a classic experience if you are changing the game so much. You asked for questions, I didn't think it was worded in any kind of offensive way. Its a legit question since they seem hell bent on not allowing players access to classic Halo.

There are some options that they have in the game that don't even work. We just got the ability to turn off instant respawn. The option has been there since day 1 but it never worked. There's no way they could have had the time to add even more customization and options.

Madness

Thank you for the great question, what we wanted to do with Halo was to bring the multiplayer into a new decade. We heard feedback from players about what they wanted in a new Halo and we delivered. We know not all players are happy and while we can't satisfy them all, we do take feedback into account. We're coming out with a new title update blah blah. To satisfy classic fans, we're coming out with a new legendary playlist and refining throwdown. Thanks for the question, next question Tashi.

Lol. That's probably the response you'll get.

NOKYARD

Wouldn't it be possible to make it using rocks and Forge pieces? It would look terrible, but it would probably work.

Nope. Not with the present natural pieces. I was preparing a Heavies version of Hem' for the heavies playlist. I decided to make it functionally symmetrical by blocking the cave and matching the cliff on each side (it also had semi bases at midfield). All i had to do was match the hill near red teleporter on the opposite side.
That single hill (you can kind of see it by red cliff in pic #1, right side of pic #2) took 10 large rocks and wasn't as functional as its twin hill. It also looked like a hugh wart on the map. I guess if you replicated the features of the map with forge pieces to make a mechanical version it may be possible.

Wait so blood Gulch isn't possible with the new islands? Then why the hell was that guy in the panel saying can someone please remake blood gulch?

Sorry not a forger, just curious.
That was Burnie Burnes of Red vs Blue saying that. I believe they moved to Exile at the end of the last RvB season so i assume it was a joke.

bsangel also tweeted this for the reason of no in-game CSR

eqoRGk5.png

obviously cheating/selling accounts was probably a reason too. i don't understand why they just don't fix the banhammer
I'm not sure how selling accounts would be an issue if I'm to understand their current system. There's some rank downgrading going on if the account doesn't play ranked for a certain amount of time, if you do that and have rank display your current rank as opposed to highlighting your highest achieved, then you can have some kind of middle ground between traditional 1-50 and Arena that would make account selling pointless.

FyreWulff

It still blows my mind that Creighton is still in the tournament. I'm usually not used to Nebraska schools doing well in tournaments, especially in basketball...

.. and then I see their next opponent is Duke. gg you had a nice run guys

Under Bungie Halo was largely a 4v4-centric shooter. What was the philosophical reasoning behind apportioning a higher percentage of the map pool to larger play spaces, emphasizing big team play? Does 343i now consider Halo to be a larger team game first and a 4v4 game second? And is the preferential focus on BTB maps indicative of the series' future direction?[/B]

I'm more of a big team guy myself, but it is irksome that there's so few 4v4 maps. Great question.

heckfu

Banned
It still blows my mind that Creighton is still in the tournament. I'm usually not used to Nebraska schools doing well in tournaments, especially in basketball...

.. and then I see their next opponent is Duke. gg you had a nice run guys

I have Creighton over Duke.

TCKaos

Regarding Siltentium:

The flood weren't created with a purpose by the Precursors - the Flood IS the Precursors. They somehow turned to powder following the Forerunner uprising, in an effort to survive, but Silentium implies that they became 'defective'. There was no effort to give Humans The Mantle.

So wait, then what the entire purpose of the Didact wanting to kill Chief and humanity in 2557? If
there was no effort given to pass The Mantle on to humanity, was there any way it could have just fallen in to their hands?

Of course, I haven't read Primordium yet either, but I think I know the basic plot of it. All this does is raise more questions, if I'm interpretative it correctly. And of course, again, I haven't read Silentium. I might be getting angry over nothing.

Now that things are clarified, to avoid the salties adding it to their repetoir: The Blood Gulch question at PAX was a joke by Burnie Burns, or Church of Red vs Blue. Go home.

Madness

Now that things are clarified, to avoid the salties adding it to their repetoir: The Blood Gulch question at PAX was a joke by Burnie Burns, or Church of Red vs Blue. Go home.

What? I didn't know who asked the question because I didn't watch the entire panel video. All i saw was that forge island video and heard someone say can you guys please remake blood gulch which I thought was someone from 343 asking people to go wild.

I personally don't care either way, just was curious.

What? I didn't know who asked the question because I didn't watch the entire panel video. All i saw was that forge island video and heard someone say can you guys please remake blood gulch which I thought was someone from 343 asking people to go wild.

...I never even singled you out or paid enough attention to your posts to see that you said something! What the hell kind of response is that?

Anyone know what Gaming Headsets (Triton, Turtle Beaches, Astros, etc) have the best Mic quality? I want them to record Let's Plays for Youtube.

Right now I use Turtle Beaches, don't really like them...

Madness

...I never even singled you out or paid enough attention to your posts to see that you said something! What the hell kind of response is that?

I'm the one who asked FyreWulff about the blood gulch question because I was curious. I was just wondering why you said now that it's clarified, will team salt not add it to their repetoir or go home, when I don't think anyone else even cared about blood gulch on the islands. Relax man.

Hold on there. It was a good question you asked.

The panel was not in view at the time so any of them could have said it. Without knowing it was Burnie, and what the context was, the statement would have been confusing to anybody. I was even confused by it until i realized it was Burnie speaking. I have met him in person and it didn't sound like him speaking due to the sound system at the panel.

Yeah, I thought 343 was introducing the island and then one of them asking us to go wild and remake blood gulch. And then when FyreWulff said it's not likely possible, I was confused.

At least it's clarified now.

NOKYARD

Hold on there. It was a good question you asked.

The panel was not in view at the time so any of them could have said it. Without knowing it was Burnie, and what the context was, the statement would have been confusing to anybody. I was even confused by it until i realized it was Burnie speaking. I have met him in person and it didn't sound like him speaking due to the sound system at the panel.

FyreWulff

Anyone know what Gaming Headsets (Triton, Turtle Beaches, Astros, etc) have the best Mic quality? I want them to record Let's Plays for Youtube.

Right now I use Turtle Beaches, don't really like them...

They're all going to be roughly the same quality for recording voice.

Get a Rock Band microphone (5-10$, they're all USB and will work with your computer) and make a windscreen out of coat hanger and pantyhose and you should be able to record much better quality for not much money.

They're all going to be roughly the same quality for recording voice.

Get a Rock Band microphone (5-10$, they're all USB and will work with your computer) and make a windscreen out of coat hanger and pantyhose and you should be able to record much better quality for not much money.

I do have a Rock Band microphone, I just want a Headset for Let's Play so I can listen to the game audio and record my audio easily.

Madness

I would like some wood pieces in there... Like the ivory tower remake (can't remember the name?). This will work for now.

Reflection? I think for next game, they should utilize several areas and skyboxes. Have UNSC green pieces, Covenant purples and maroons, forerunner greys and lighted pieces etc. Proficient forgers could recreate every map technically etc.

Quick OT question: Is anyone else's bracket updating weirdly? The scores for the Oregon/St.Louis match are going all over the place. Sometimes I refresh and it says Oregon are winning 32-19. Other times it is giving other scores. Is this happening anyone else?

z39zPUZ.jpg

It's 35-32 to SLU at HT, right??
I got oregon in the sweet sixteen baby.

Ok here are the questions I have so far. I don't know if I'll get to ask all of these depending on the time and how the conversation flows.

You really should try to ask about why they focus on symmetrical gametypes but asymmetrical maps. Its kinda baffling.

At least the shadows are long so we can use them to orient players.

I guess. =/

They do help, but a lot more could be done to help guide players.

So wait, then what the entire purpose of the Didact wanting to kill Chief and humanity in 2557? If
there was no effort given to pass The Mantle on to humanity, was there any way it could have just fallen in to their hands?

Of course, I haven't read Primordium yet either, but I think I know the basic plot of it. All this does is raise more questions, if I'm interpretative it correctly. And of course, again, I haven't read Silentium. I might be getting angry over nothing.

Let's just say that after reading Silentium, there is a pretty damn good reason that the Didact is the way he is in Halo 4.

Major Silentium spoilers:
The Didact in Halo 4 is the Ur-Didact, the original. Now, the Librarian maintained that the Bornsteller/IsoDidact is her real husband, despite him being the one that the original Ur-Didact imprinted onto the younger Forerunner, since the Ur-Didact thought he was going to die.

The IsoDidact then went about completing the plans of the Didact as his imprint grew stronger. The Ur-Didact ended up surviving, and his memories of conversations with the Primordial revealing the truth of the Precusors, his exile, loss of children in the Human-Forerunner war, etc eventually drive him mad (not entirely crazy, but messed up, anyway) leading him to do the things he does in the Halo 4 terminals, namely Composing a large amount of humans that the Librarian was caring for to raise his own army to defeat the Flood.

The Halo Array was the Master Builder, Faber's solution to the Flood. Shield Worlds/Composing Humans were the Ur-Didact's.

Afterwards, Mendicant Bias and The Flood have driven the Forerunner to their final, last stand at The Greater Ark, smashing the fuck out of it and the rest of the Forerunner fleets and Omega Halo. The IsoDidact is almost killed, if not for being rescued by 343 Guilty Spark, who then brings him to the Lesser Ark to activate the second, secret, more efficient Halo Array (the ones we know today).

The Librarian sneakily follows the Ur-Didact back to Requiem, then "betrays" him, attempting to force him to meditate within his Cryptum using the Domain and all the knowledge it possesses, until the humans can once again rise. She believes that by learning from the Domain, and from Forerunner knowledge, she can bring him back to reason from his self-torture and that he will eventually help the Humans.

The Librarian then leaves for Earth and tells the Flood fleets essentially to "come get her" to give the IsoDidact more time by distracting the Flood. Some Flood go to Earth and tell the Librarian that it knows the location of the Lesser Ark already (unlikely, and probably a bluff, since the Flood finds Installation 00, the Lesser Ark, in Halo 3). It also tells her a long lost truth: that the Domain, the source of all knowledge and interconnected amongst all Forerunner (basically their Internet/History), is actually a Precursor artifact, The "Organon" mentioned in Cryptum, and that it will be destroyed once the Halo Array is activated, destroying all Forerunner, and thus a very large portion of their knowledge, along with the Domain. The Librarian attempts to contact the IsoDidact to make him aware of this fact.

Back at the Lesser Ark, the IsoDidact disregards the message as a fake, and asks 343 Guilty Spark (and thus Chakas, one of his lost human friends) if it were his choice, would he activate the rings.

The IsoDidact lights the rings, destroying all life in the galaxy except the Ur-Didact in his Cryptum in Requiem, but since it also destroyed all Precursor artifacts, and the Domain, the Ur-Didact ended up being condemned to his own thoughts and madness for 100 000 years, rather than meditate within the Domain like the Librarian intended.

He pissed.

PLay a game. Lose because a kid is AFK. Get matched up with him again. Quit because he's AFK. JIP puts me back in. He gets booted. HE HAS FUCKING HOST. Host migrates

5 mnutes later.

lag

rage quit.

FIX YOUR FUCKING GAME 343 FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THIS SHIT IS TERRRRRRRIBLEEEEEE

wwm0nkey

Let's just say that after reading Silentium, there is a pretty damn good reason that the Didact is the way he is in Halo 4.

The Didact in Halo 4 is the Ur-Didact, the original. Now, the Librarian maintained that the Bornsteller/IsoDidact is her real husband, despite him being the one that the original Ur-Didact imprinted onto the younger Forerunner, since the Ur-Didact thought he was going to die.

The IsoDidact then went about completing the plans of the Didact as his imprint grew stronger. The Ur-Didact ended up surviving, and his memories of conversations with the Primordial revealing the truth of the Precusors, his exile, loss of children in the Human-Forerunner war, etc eventually drive him mad (not entirely crazy, but messed up, anyway) leading him to do the things he does in the Halo 4 terminals, namely Composing a large amount of humans that the Librarian was caring for to raise his own army to defeat the Flood.

The Halo Array was the Master Builder, Faber's solution to the Flood. Shield Worlds/Composing Humans were the Ur-Didact's.

Afterwards, Mendicant Bias and The Flood have driven the Forerunner to their final, last stand at The Greater Ark, smashing the fuck out of it and the rest of the Forerunner fleets and Omega Halo. The IsoDidact is almost killed, if not for being rescued by 343 Guilty Spark, who then brings him to the Lesser Ark to activate the second, secret, more efficient Halo Array (the ones we know today).

The Librarian sneakily follows the Ur-Didact back to Requiem, then "betrays" him, attempting to force him to meditate within his Cryptum using the Domain and all the knowledge it possesses, until the humans can once again rise. She believes that by learning from the Domain, and from Forerunner knowledge, she can bring him back to reason from his self-torture and that he will eventually help the Humans.

The Librarian then leaves for Earth and tells the Flood fleets essentially to "come get her" to give the IsoDidact more time by distracting the Flood. Some Flood go to Earth and tell the Librarian that it knows the location of the Lesser Ark already (unlikely, and probably a bluff, since the Flood finds Installation 00, the Lesser Ark, in Halo 3). It also tells her a long lost truth: that the Domain, the source of all knowledge and interconnected amongst all Forerunner (basically their Internet/History), is actually a Precursor artifact, The "Organon" mentioned in Cryptum, and that it will be destroyed once the Halo Array is activated, destroying all Forerunner, and thus a very large portion of their knowledge, along with the Domain.

Back at the Lesser Ark, the IsoDidact asks 343 Guilty Spark (and thus Chakas, one of his lost human friends) if it were his choice, would he activate the rings.

The IsoDidact lights the rings, destroying all life in the galaxy except the Ur-Didact in his Cryptum in Requiem, but since it also destroyed all Precursor artifacts, and the Domain, the Ur-Didact ended up being condemned to his own thoughts and madness for 100 000 years, rather than meditate within the Domain like the Librarian intended.

He pissed.

Now just incoperate this into Halo 5 as a pre-story thing before the game starts and then everyone will know what is going on.

Also very happy they semi addressed this

heckfu

Banned
PLay a game. Lose because a kid is AFK. Get matched up with him again. Quit because he's AFK. JIP puts me back in. He gets booted. HE HAS FUCKING HOST. Host migrates

5 mnutes later.

lag

rage quit.

sounds like someone was playing abandon!

5 mnutes later.

lag

rage quit.

Just turn it off its not worth it.

metzger203

I would like some wood pieces in there... Like the ivory tower remake (can't remember the name?). This will work for now.

Ivory Tower was a pretty neat map. I really enjoyed the variety of combat areas, and it made for some interesting objective games... mostly liked it for 1 flag (very fast paced) and assault (2 arm zones!), but team crazy king was fun too. Team slayer was alright but it was a little more campy than other maps. Remember the carbine hidden behind that big crate on the lower level? And pulling the flag through the drain at rocket spawn?

I thought the Reach remake was awesome and it was fun seeing it in the campaign, however briefly.

Forge pieces should have different skins (one or two UNSC variants, Covenant, and Forerunner) that you can switch between while editing. I imagine that's a pretty tall order, technically speaking. Maybe next gen?

Overdoziz

Banned

The Librarian then leaves for Earth and tells the Flood fleets essentially to "come get her" to give the IsoDidact more time by distracting the Flood. Some Flood go to Earth and tell the Librarian that it knows the location of the Lesser Ark already (unlikely, and probably a bluff, since the Flood finds Installation 00, the Lesser Ark, in Halo 3). It also tells her a long lost truth: that the Domain, the source of all knowledge and interconnected amongst all Forerunner (basically their Internet/History), is actually a Precursor artifact, The "Organon" mentioned in Cryptum, and that it will be destroyed once the Halo Array is activated, destroying all Forerunner, and thus a very large portion of their knowledge, along with the Domain. The Librarian attempts to contact the IsoDidact to make him aware of this fact.

Back at the Lesser Ark, the IsoDidact disregards the message as a fake, and asks 343 Guilty Spark (and thus Chakas, one of his lost human friends) if it were his choice, would he activate the rings.

He pissed.
What?

Ivory Tower was a pretty neat map. I really enjoyed the variety of combat areas, and it made for some interesting objective games... mostly liked it for 1 flag (very fast paced) and assault (2 arm zones!), but team crazy king was fun too. Team slayer was alright but it was a little more campy than other maps. Remember the carbine hidden behind that big crate on the lower level? And pulling the flag through the drain at rocket spawn?

I thought the Reach remake was awesome and it was fun seeing it in the campaign, however briefly.

I liked FFA on it in Reach but tried to avoid it for everything else. Was a great map for Ninjas though.

Top Bottom