• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Fracas

#fuckonami
What about NPCs/atmosphere? Rapture always bugged me because it felt too empty, especially when you consider in the game's fiction that the civil war is still supposed to be going down.

I'll tag this, but there are no story spoilers in here, and only light gameplay spoilers. Nothing really important at all

Aside from the first hour, which I absolutely loved, NPCs are somewhat scarce. The ones that are present are well done. As for atmosphere, the tension from Bioshock 1 & 2 is gone, at least for me. Combat has a LOT of human enemies, much more so than the first two Bioshocks, and is standard FPS fare. The art design and world building of Columbia is top-notch, though.

Had no idea x's were a big deal for people.
Ya know, I am saying "Power weapon xy on my X." or "One shot on my X" in every match. I mean that's how team work worked in the previous game. "On my X" is the easiest Halo phrase to tell your team members what happened to you, where and what they can expect there. I am not an E-sport dude, I have no clue about the map's callouts, so I practically am useless in a Halo 4 match because my description will clearly confuse my teammates. But with the "X", I can help! I can be someone! And not the guy who only gets carried.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I don't know what to think of the Xs. On one hand, they disappear way too quickly. On the other hand, they'll clutter up the screen in some gametype (eg. Fiesta). :/

Fuchsdh

Eh I think the X's could be up for maybe a half-second to second more but I think they serve their purpose.

Ya know, I am saying "Power weapon xy on my X." or "One shot on my X" in every match. I mean that's how team work worked in the previous game. "On my X" is the easiest Halo phrase to tell your team members what happened to you, where and what they can expect there. I am not an E-sport dude, I have no clue about the map's callouts, so I practically am useless in a Halo 4 match because my description will clearly confuse my teammates. But with the "X", I can help! I can be someone! And not the guy who only gets carried.

You mean... it lowers the skill gap?

The best thing can happen know is Kevin Franklin and anyone else not named Bravo who was involved in MP decisions be moved to another part of the company. Watch that Pax East and tell me after that you can take that guy serious. Just look at Bravo, hes looking down the entire time like my god I can't believe I have to work and listen to this idiot who doesnt know what I forgot about Halo.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It's got to be a bug. At PAX East Kevin Franklin was being interviewed and said that the X appears when a teammate dies and then goes away when the teammates respawns.

It's got to be a bug. At PAX East Kevin Franklin was being interviewed and said that the X appears when a teammate dies and then goes away when the teammates respawns.

It still does that, it just disappears way too fast.

Its supposed to be there for the "call outs" like, "there's a guy where i just died". At this rate, your teammate will turn around and it'll already be gone. It should be there enough time so that teammates can turn and see it. Right now, it makes it kinda useless unless youre looking straight at it at all times...

I want two for dual wielding

http://www.tested.com/art/makers/45...art-6-details-accents-refinement-and-mockups/

S1DQvQs.jpg

I want to see that once its finished...already looking awesome. I wonder if whomever is making it will see copies..

Oh also you know since we are talking about Battlefield/front: Halo can we get that but have it look like this?

human_forerunner_war_by_skcrisis-d5zcj7x.gif

(taken from reddit)

I would love for a Halo game to have this sense of scope and atmosphere. I would also love a ancient forerunner vs ancient human game.

I want the Carbine.

Excuse me, but I haven't followed this thread lately. So call me out if those are old news:

Polygon has a GDC coverage and they have two Halo 4-related articles online. The first one is about Forward Unto Dawn and how 343i made FUD with a 'threadbare' budget.

I think the most of us aren't really interested in that article, but more in the second one. Remember the slide Duncan posted here yesterday? Polygon put a summary of that talk online. Scott Werner told the audience how they created the Prometheans and what they learnt from them. Polygon gives a bit clarity of the last few notes from the Postmortem slide. You can read it here.

Cool, thanks for posting! I wish they went into more detail, but it was interesting none the less. Im glad they seem to address and understand some of the crucial Halo 4 flaws, particularly with the Prometheans.. It would have been nice to get more variety and all 6 of them.

FyreWulff

Sounds like whatever change they made to the X-indicator system to get Nemesis to work (the indicator following the biped of the player it marks) affects the X following the biped for death-Xs.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It still does that, it just disappears way too fast.

Its supposed to be there for the "call outs" like, "there's a guy where i just died". At this rate, your teammate will turn around and it'll already be gone. It should be there enough time so that teammates can turn and see it. Right now, it makes it kinda useless unless youre looking straight at it at all times...

But it doesn't. At least not in the objective, 10 second respawns in Throwdown

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
To be fair, most of these mods can fuck up other parts of the game. Implementing something new into code or changing even small things can cause bugs galore.
And we all know 343i doesn't want anymore bugs showing up in their game. I'm guessing this is what added to the difficulty.

Hmmm, perhaps. I've just played the whole of Quake running on a different engine with a series of mods compiled into a mod package (Epsilon HD) that gives the game HD textures, changes character models, changes gun models, lighting, water, support for 1080p and other widescreen resolutions that basically makes Quake look better than Halo 4 and I didn't encounter any problems barring a slight glitch when alt tabbing out of the game without pausing which could just be quake itself I'm not sure. Anyway I don't know why I'm bothered I've not played Halo 4 for months and death x's are the very least of its long list of problems.

Fuchsdh

Hmmm, perhaps. I've just played the whole of Quake running on a different engine with a series of mods compiled into a mod package (Epsilon HD) that gives the game HD textures, changes character models, changes gun models, lighting, water, support for 1080p and other widescreen resolutions that basically makes Quake look better than Halo 4 and I didn't encounter any problems barring a slight glitch when alt tabbing out of the game without pausing which could just be quake itself I'm not sure. Anyway I don't know why I'm bothered I've not played Halo 4 for months and death x's are the very least of its long list of problems.

The difference being Quake mods are as old as dirt, and far simpler.

Nowise10

Bulletin Recap:

No Spartan Ops season 2, but Crimson and the story will be returning.
So Halo 5.

Trees on Forge Island

We currently do not have plans to _______

FyreWulff

"The largest of the three islands is as long as the playable space of Ragnarok, though it’s wider since it’s cylindrical. The others two islands are medium and small by comparison, though I don’t have exact numbers offhand. We also let you build away from the islands in any direction and in the sky with an extremely large range as well. Using the length of the large island as a unit of measurement, you can get between 6-10 units away from the cluster of islands in any direction before hitting the boundaries of where you can build. "

Havok

Will weapons ever return to the regular despawn time of 1 minute as opposed to the quick 12-second despawn that happens now?
–iRGush

This is not something we’re considering at this time, as higher despawn times with Map Ordnance and Personal Ordnance leads to an overwhelming amount of power weapons at play.
–Quinn
Why let the one crummy mode with Personal Ordnance drag down the rest of the game? Too bad.

I mean, why is something like Throwdown being affected by a decision that was made entirely to support the existence of faux-Fiesta?

FyreWulff

"Most of the larger pieces from other palettes and some new larger rocks have been placed into the “Buildings” category. The quantity of “Buildings” objects that can be placed has been increased from 12 to 20. The other categories object quantities have stayed the same. Technically, it is a minor increase, though you will still have to manage your object counts just as you did in the original three Halo 4 Forge maps. "

800 Square WUs of space

Still can't remake Chiron

IHaveIce

Banned
Will there be a second season of Spartan Ops?
–deluca34
There is no “Season 2” of Spartan Ops scheduled at the moment, but rest assured the story of Crimson, the Infinity and those characters and events is far from over.
–Frank

NOOOOOOOOOOOO KILL ALL THE CHARACTERS EXCEPT HALSEY PLEASE .... all are bad written and totally uninteresting :/

And lol at the sprint tweaking comment, there is already a modded gametype.. why not release one official for custom games huh?

EDIT : also Forge Island has just the palette from Ravine :/

Bulletin Recap:

No Spartan Ops season 2, but Crimson and the story will be returning.
So Halo 5.

Trees on Forge Island

We currently do not have plans to _______

This is my fav:

Will any previously removed custom game types be added to Halo 4, e.g., Assault, Race, Territories, etc.?
–DecepticonCobra

There is always a possibility for old favorites to make a return in Halo 4 but we have nothing to announce on that front at this time
–Quinn

This definitely sounds to me like a strong possibility!!!

Unbelievable that i get excited about shit that should have been in the game. lol wtf man

TCKaos

"The largest of the three islands is as long as the playable space of Ragnarok, though it’s wider since it’s cylindrical. The others two islands are medium and small by comparison, though I don’t have exact numbers offhand. We also let you build away from the islands in any direction and in the sky with an extremely large range as well. Using the length of the large island as a unit of measurement, you can get between 6-10 units away from the cluster of islands in any direction before hitting the boundaries of where you can build. "

Holy shit that's huge.

Top Bottom