• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

IHaveIce

Banned
I feel like they're really hyping up Legendary Slayer

If it takes too much from Infninity Slayer ( Instant Respawn, Personal Ordinance) they can hype it all they want, it won't get me excited.

Also why always take these dumb names, what is with "Team Slayer" :/

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
If it takes too much from Infninity Slayer ( Instant Respawn, Personal Ordinance) they can hype it all they want, it won't get me excited.

Also why always take these dumb names, what is with "Team Slayer" :/

Well Kevin Franklin said it was 343's competitive gametype so I'm guessing Legendary Slayer is more like Classic Slayer

The Bungie/Destiny talk was kind of dull. Basically "hey look concept art" "this is how concept art is made" I get its a GDC presentation for industry folk but it was light on virtually every front.

Hype is at nothing, I have not seen enough anything to be anymore than curious and honestly if it was any other dev I would not have given it a second thought.

Ghazi

Across the board in Halo 5.*

*Except in the 'Pro' playlist which will be killed two months after launch.

lol Slayer Pro was taken out <a month after Halo 4 launched and still hasn't been put back in. I suppose Throwdown is just an evolved form of it though.

Well Kevin Franklin said it was 343's competitive gametype so I'm guessing Legendary Slayer is more like Classic Slayer

https://twitter.com/kevin_franklin/status/297419534938279936

Tashi

Well it's TBD I guess but I don't think Kevin Franklin equates Infinity CTF settings to Competitive. I would hope not considering he actually does play some competitive games like LoL and SC2.

Karl2177

Well it's TBD I guess but I don't think Kevin Franklin equates Infinity CTF settings to Competitive. I would hope not considering he actually does play some competitive games like LoL and SC2.

You might play competitive games, but it doesn't matter if you don't play them competitively. Sure I play Starcraft, but 90% of the time I'm trying out some wacky bullshit strategy that is almost guaranteed to fail. Even in the ranked play, I do insane stuff.

Tashi

Isnt that what Team Throwdown is?

Yea I guess. I shouldn't have said Classic Slayer. My bad. My guess on the settings it his:

Set Loadouts:DMR,BR,LR, Carbine (after global rebalance)
No random ordnance:Like FFA, Doubles and Throwdown
Limited set or possibly no armor abilities
Sprint enabled

Tashi, you're so cute bro.

Thanks bro <3

Karl, I would guess he doesn't do wacky shit. I really don't think many people do the wacky shit that you do.

Ghazi

What the hell, I thought JIP was off in Throwdown, I just got put in two mid game matches in a row. One was CTF and the BK's I was on the team with were all dead and red team was just walking away with the flag, I quit immediately. Going back to FFA.

Tashi

What the hell, I thought JIP was off in Throwdown, I just got put in two mid game matches in a row. One was CTF and the BK's I was on the team with were all dead and red team was just walking away with the flag, I quit immediately. Going back to FFA.

They've added JiP in for a short window in the first minute or so of the matches. It actually works nicely but once CSR comes in, that shit will be annoying.

Join-in-Progress windows will be tweaked for certain playlists like Team Throwdown or Doubles to help ensure valid and accurate CSR reporting.

I read this as, "for playlists that are actually competitive and matter, JiP will be tweaked accordingly. For all the other playlists, CSR doesn't matter (see Frank's answer about that above)."

orznge

Banned
I played like 2 minutes of a game and I could see them just as any other Halo game. People complaining are seriously blind (aka stupid and try to bitch about anything).

they better revoke their complaints now that they know it's wrong to have a preference that is not the same as yours

Should be 4 teams of 3 shouldn't it? Why do they always change everything slightly just to put their mark on it.

Exactly.

If you've got two, play in fucking Team Doubles. DOUBLES.

If you have four, shit, you've got a ton of different options.

If you have three?

Sorry, we're 343i, you're fucked. People definitely didn't play Multi Team because they wanted a loud, fun way to play with three people. Noooo.... Everyone played that and said 'damn', wish it was two-man squads.

Multi Team is six teams of two.

Six teams.

Of two.

Of fucking course.

Wasn't it like this in H2? It was like it in Reach initially until they bumped up to 4 teams of 3. I much preferred it that way, but it meant losing Rocket Race support as mentioned below

Not keen on individual CSR ratings though. Didn't exactly work in Arena...

Havok

Multiteam in H3 was teams of two. That's the only way Rocket Race would have worked, and why it was changed to Rocket Hog Race in Reach when the team size was bumped up.
I played like 2 minutes of a game and I could see them just as any other Halo game. People complaining are seriously blind (aka stupid and try to bitch about anything).
Your constant condescension doesn't help anything.

There are legitimate reasons that people don't want them to be in the same style as other waypoints - it might not be a huge deal, but the red visual elements really did stand out from every other waypoint in past games. There's also very few dominantly red maps in Halo multiplayer, where Halo 4 has plenty of light blue-white hues (see: Haven, any Ravine map). The closest thing to a Haven/new X comparison in 4 with the old style X waypoint would be Exile's oranges.

Tashi

Can someone tell me the exact settings for Squad Slayer back in Reach days? I played it like twice.

Wasn't it like this in H2? It was like it in Reach as well IIRC until they switched it to the 4 teams of 3 version Halo 3 had (which I much preferred).

Not keen on individual CSR ratings though. Didn't exactly work in Arena...

Not sure. I only started playing it in Reach when it was 4x3.

It just sucks because I've been talking two guys back into Halo with death Xs and Multi-Team. And they already like to comment on everything wrong with Halo 4 and say how much 343i blew it...

Now they have pale Xs that disappear in seconds and have no off-screen indicators.

And multi team that we'll never play.

Can't wait to hear them gripe. It's just frustrating. :\

Booties

Banned
Uuuuh if they're the same color as all the other icons, waypoints, and ordinances then I believe you are wrong and the vast majority is right.

Wasn't it like this in H2? It was like it in Reach as well IIRC until they switched it to the 4 teams of 3 version Halo 3. I much prefer 4 teams of 3 but you're making it sound like 343 started it.

I'm not keen on individual CSR ratings at all. It didn't exactly work in Arena...

Halo 3 had teams of two in multi team. It has nothing to do with 343 putting their stamp on it really.

Not sure. I only started playing it in Reach when it was 4x3.

It just sucks because I've been talking two guys back into Halo with death Xs and Multi-Team. And they already like to comment on everything wrong with Halo 4 and say how much 343i blew it...

Now they have pale Xs that disappear in seconds and have no off-screen indicators.

And multi team that we'll never play.

Can't wait to hear them gripe. It's just frustrating. :\

I understand how that's like. I edited my other post back.

Halo 3 had teams of two in multi team. It has nothing to do with 343 putting their stamp on it really.

I must be thinking of a custom gametype then. I'd play so many customs that the gametypes tend to become a bit mixed up and ambiguous

Ghazi

They've added JiP in for a short window in the first minute or so of the matches. It actually works nicely but once CSR comes in, that shit will be annoying.

I read this as, "for playlists that are actually competitive and matter, JiP will be tweaked accordingly. For all the other playlists, CSR doesn't matter (see Frank's answer about that above)."

Wow, the enemy team already had a flag cap and were about to get another. I'm happy I quit if that was all in the first minute.

HTupolev

Welcome to Reach?

Reach's X's are white, but the indicators as a whole are combo white/red, which arguably allows them to stick out more consistantly than any monochrome combination (though they could probably do with being more vibrant).

Halo 4's white-only indicators, on the other hand, have no such strengths and use a far less effective colour for standing out in Halo 4 than red.

Multiteam in H3 was teams of two. That's the only way Rocket Race would have worked, and why it was changed to Rocket Hog Race in Reach when the team size was bumped up.

In H3 it was like 4 or 5 teams of 2 though so it was overall less players wasn't it? I'm having a hard time remembering H3.

Tashi

Wow, the enemy team already had a flag cap and were about to get another. I'm happy I quit if that was all in the first minute.

I don't know if it's exactly 1 minute. But it seems to be around that.

Also, there may have been only 1 or 2 guys on your team before you Joined in Progress with potentially a few other teammates.

Also, let's at least wait and play this new Multiteam before we shit on it. Playlist was always just for stat whoring so the more enemies the better. It's just going to come down to maps and settings

TCKaos

The X color complaints are just salt, I think, though I haven't played yet today so I can't tell if the arrow related to it is red or if the service tag shows up like in Reach. The only valid complaint here is that the X doesn't last long enough (and the fact that the X moves with the body, to a degree, but even that isn't horrible).

FyreWulff

Holy shit that's huge.

If we go with the high end of that estimate and assume 10 big islands, plus my assumption that the big island is 80x80WUs, that's 800 WU space from the islands to the edge of the map.

Forge World's space, ignoring the fact that a lot of it is not Forgeable:

iwbYhPJ.png

Forge Island's space, with the assumption that big island is 80WUx80WU... and I deleted 200 WU from each side to make it a more conservative guess. It should be noted that coordinates in Reach and Halo 4 cannot go past 1000 or -1000 or else it'll wrap around when you try to edit it, so you can't place anything past 1000 WUs anyway from the center of the map

hMFwkVf.png

So basically, they just said "fuck it" and went to the limits of the engine (or file format, whichever one sounds better to you)

tl;dr GOD DAMN THAT'S A LOT OF SPACE

Havok

In H3 it was like 4 or 5 teams of 2 though so it was overall less players wasn't it? I'm having a hard time remembering H3.
Yeah, it was four teams of two for a total of 8 players in the match. I don't know what gametypes in Halo 4 really work with six teams, where if it were four they could probably throw in 3 Ball (if that is still possible) as filler and have it work reasonably well. It's gonna be a little weird.

Wow. So I was as incorrect as I could go when I assumed Forge World was bigger. That's just going off of what we have currently though, but I think it's safe to say there's a lot of space on Forge Island. That and the news about the natural palette has me more interested.

Since it's free I don't see why the hell not.

Why implement CSR in all playlists? For example, it doesn't fit the spirit of Action Sack and risks making everything hyper-competitive.
–Plastic Hassle

Because CSR deliberately isn’t exposed directly in the game, there will be an automatic and significant reduction in the amount and type of abuse, grinding and garbage – that, and the natural selection that our community will do as it relates to the importance of CSR game types. That is to say, nobody will really care about the wackier modes, but lots of people will care about the more precise, competitive modes.
–Frank

Visible ranks aside - we've already gone in circles on this argument - can I have some of what he's smoking? Just because the gametypes are "wacky" people aren't going to try ranking up in them? ugh...

Using the same logic as he does for the Waypoint-only nature of the ranks, the very presence of ranks in these goof-off playlists/gametypes will encourage the behavior he's so afraid of.

Never-ending bullshit.

HTupolev

If we go with the high end of that estimate and assume 10 big islands, plus my assumption that the big island is 80x80WUs, that's 800 WU space from the islands to the edge of the map.

Forge World's space, ignoring the fact that a lot of it is not Forgeable:

Forge Island's space, with the assumption that big island is 80WUx80WU... and I deleted 200 WU from each side to make it a more conservative guess. It should be noted that coordinates in Reach and Halo 4 cannot go past 1000 or -1000 or else it'll wrap around when you try to edit it.

So basically, they just said "fuck it" and went to the limits of the engine (or file format, whichever one sounds better to you)
It's not much of a technical achievement, but I appreciate that they're being slightly less stupid about RTB barriers than they and Bungie have been in the past.

It's not going to do much in terms of more forging opportunities, but there's no reason not to have that sort of space, and it'll probably add a tiny bit of visual variety for free.

Maybe we'll see some people taking advantage of Halo 4's slow, arcing tank projectiles to give us ridiculously gametypes where you try to shell the other team? I dunno.

//=========

I'm not sure how I feel about opaque water. Less opportunities for actually using the water, but it *will* be easier on the poor Xenos in your 360 than Forge World carrying out alpha blending on a sea floor and water.

Top Bottom