• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Why implement CSR in all playlists? For example, it doesn't fit the spirit of Action Sack and risks making everything hyper-competitive.
–Plastic Hassle

Because CSR deliberately isn’t exposed directly in the game, there will be an automatic and significant reduction in the amount and type of abuse, grinding and garbage – that, and the natural selection that our community will do as it relates to the importance of CSR game types. That is to say, nobody will really care about the wackier modes, but lots of people will care about the more precise, competitive modes.
–Frank

Visible ranks aside - we've already gone in circles on this argument - can I have some of what he's smoking? Just because the gametypes are "wacky" people aren't going to try ranking up in them? ugh...

Using the same logic as he does for the Waypoint-only nature of the ranks, the very presence of ranks in these goof-off playlists/gametypes will encourage the behavior he's so afraid of.

Never-ending bullshit.

Well what's going to happen is that people are going to exploit these playlists that are not properly balanced and competitive and it's going to be a mess to play them at any sort of ranking. With all of these playlists being ranked, I can't play all of them. I'll level up to a point where I'll match people who are trying to win for their rank. But it'll be Infinity Slayer and I'll have to deal with a team of Camo campers (oh sorry it's been balanced *wink wink*) or whatever abusive stuff these playlists allow. And I would agree that because the ranks aren't in game, there will be fewer people aware of them thus making population generally care less about winning in these playlists. It however just waters down CSR as a whole. As a legitimate ranking system.

It just makes my fucking brain hurt thinking about it and it sucks.

Booties

Banned
The X color complaints are just salt, I think, though I haven't played yet today so I can't tell if the arrow related to it is red or if the service tag shows up like in Reach. The only valid complaint here is that the X doesn't last long enough (and the fact that the X moves with the body, to a degree, but even that isn't horrible).
Look up contrast in the OED please.

Why implement CSR in all playlists? For example, it doesn't fit the spirit of Action Sack and risks making everything hyper-competitive.
–Plastic Hassle

Because CSR deliberately isn’t exposed directly in the game, there will be an automatic and significant reduction in the amount and type of abuse, grinding and garbage – that, and the natural selection that our community will do as it relates to the importance of CSR game types. That is to say, nobody will really care about the wackier modes, but lots of people will care about the more precise, competitive modes.
–Frank

Visible ranks aside - we've already gone in circles on this argument - can I have some of what he's smoking? Just because the gametypes are "wacky" people aren't going to try ranking up in them? ugh...

Using the same logic as he does for the Waypoint-only nature of the ranks, the very presence of ranks in these goof-off playlists/gametypes will encourage the behavior he's so afraid of.

Never-ending bullshit.

Frankie is just a casual dude he doesn't really get it.

Well what's going to happen is that people are going to exploit these playlists that are not properly balanced and competitive and it's going to be a mess to play them at any sort of ranking. With all of these playlists being ranked, I can't play all of them. I'll level up to a point where I'll match people who are trying to win for their rank. But it'll be Infinity Slayer and I'll have to deal with a team of Camo campers (oh sorry it's been balanced *wink wink*) or whatever abusive stuff these playlists allow. And I would agree that because the ranks aren't in game, there will be fewer people aware of them thus making population generally care less about winning in these playlists. It however just waters down CSR as a whole. As a legitimate ranking system.

TASHI AGREES! Holy shit. I must be talking sense again today.

Frank, on the other hand:

saLcH.gif

Frankie is just a casual dude he doesn't really get it.

Oh shit. juices too. HURRY! Everybody dogpile on the agree-with-me train! This is a watershed moment!

wwm0nkey

I REALLY just hope 343 really doesn't think "oh they just want to complain to complain" when that really isn't it and I want to see something done in Halo 5 because right now if the new Xbox exclusives fail to capture me I am going with the PS4 as my only console choice, Halo to me is not a system seller anymore and they have a lot to do/show to have it become that again.

blamite

This is pretty much how I feel about Halo as a whole these days. :/

FyreWulff

I'll admit I'm a bit confused as to why they spent all this time on CSR and and made it extra-curricular, but have already stated that it can and more than likely will go through resets.

So it's an extra thing you can only see on Waypoint but it eventually needs to be reset like Halo 2 or reset like Reach did to prevent people from boosting up alts? Or are they just saying this to discourage boosting CSR with the threat that it'd eventually disappear to discourage people from paying for it?

And it went from being in certain playlists to everywhere? I'll admit that I did bring up the original point that it technically lets ranked and social exist in the same playlist, but there's no reason that it needs to be in Action Sack.

And some lists are W/L while others are Reach launch Arena with personal performance. The way it was written, there's going to be team lists with original Reach Arena style CSR and other team lists with Halo 2/3/latter Reach CSR. I'm not sure why that distinction exists.

IHaveIce

Banned
I REALLY just hope 343 really doesn't think "oh they just want to complain to complain" when that really isn't it and I want to see something done in Halo 5 because right now if the new Xbox exclusives fail to capture me I am going with the PS4 as my only console choice, Halo to me is not a system seller anymore and they have a lot to do/show to have it become that again.

DOn't worry I think 343 can filter some complains and hopefully take them, they aren't like Nowise.

Also have to agree on the ranking system thing, also JIP and Guests allowed for ranked doesn't sound good

Will players get some of those backend knobs to jiggle for custom games?
–MoltenSlowa
Unfortunately, the title update does not allow for weapon tuning in custom games.
–Quinn

Of course lol. Why would it? So they added an update to let us know they can now update stuff? Not us tho.

Will weapons ever return to the regular despawn time of 1 minute as opposed to the quick 12-second despawn that happens now?
–iRGush
This is not something we’re considering at this time, as higher despawn times with Map Ordnance and Personal Ordnance leads to an overwhelming amount of power weapons at play.
–Quinn

So does personal ordnance drops and having an insane amount of power weapons drop on map ordnance and having so many power weapons in the sandbox itself.

My god this is hilarious...

Akai__

In my opinion, they don't even need to add the CSR anymore. I highly doubt, that this will bring back players, because it doesn't change the way, Halo 4 plays. It's simply too late, but props to them for trying. Sounds maybe ignorant, but that's just my opinion on it. :/

Will players get some of those backend knobs to jiggle for custom games?
–MoltenSlowa
Unfortunately, the title update does not allow for weapon tuning in custom games.
–Quinn

Of course lol. Why would it? So they added an update to let us know they can now update stuff? Not us tho.
To be fair, it probably wasn't an insignificant amount of work of them to do it.

And do some functionality for back-office systems only is a lot cheaper than doing it for the public. Going by my experience in web applications anyway.

Not that you're not right, it's what leaps to anyones mind when they read about these new sets of functionality.

darthbob

Only on Waypoint and the Waypoint application

Then I really don't see what the big deal about it is.

To me, it sounds like CSR is going to be like Waypoint's BPR score for Reach, except it applies to specific playlists. And I think we all remember how important your 'rank' for Reach that's only viewable online and not ingame is.

I think as long as Halo (or any game ever) tries to get as many people to play it as possible then everyone is going to be worse off. What's great about Murder Miners and games with a much tighter focus is that no matter how many people are playing, their reasons for playing and what they expect will be far less diverse than something that tries to appeal to multiple demographics of gamer.

I think my overused analogy of spinning plates holds true. Riot pretty much spin one plate and that's making a competitive game. It's approachable for new players because of the way they can seperate better players from the worse ones. The fact that it is free also helps. If Riot were to make LoL2, would the playerbase expect new features that would rope new players in or would they expect new features that would benefit competitive play?

I think Halo got too big for what it was. I don't think much could have been done to change it unless you wanted a completely exhaustive rethinking of the game's design and development. It's no doubt a good game. It just scratches many peoples' back for like a second before moving on to the next person. It feels like a let down because that scratch you got was so good and to get more of that, you'd be in bliss. It's a mighty shame.

TCKaos

In my opinion, they don't even need to add the CSR anymore. I highly doubt, that this will bring back players, because it doesn't change the way, Halo 4 plays. It's simply too late, but props to them for trying. Sounds maybe ignorant, but that's just my opinion on it. :/

My feelings on the entirety of Halo 4's non-SpOps post launch handling. Everything was too little too late. If they had shipped the game with a feature set at least on parity with Reach then the game would have been passable, and the population might have lasted a little longer, but to launch the game with so many features removed is something I will never for the life of me understand.

You can't compete with all of these other franchises that are adding new, useful, innovative and interesting features while removing your own.

JackHerer

This is my fav:

Will any previously removed custom game types be added to Halo 4, e.g., Assault, Race, Territories, etc.?
–DecepticonCobra

There is always a possibility for old favorites to make a return in Halo 4 but we have nothing to announce on that front at this time
–Quinn

This definitely sounds to me like a strong possibility!!!

Unbelievable that i get excited about shit that should have been in the game. lol wtf man

I don't consider that phrasing to indicate "strong possibility" when it comes from 343.

IHaveIce

Banned
I think as long as Halo (or any game ever) tries to get as many people to play it as possible then everyone is going to be worse off. What's great about Murder Miners and games with a much tighter focus is that no matter how many people are playing, their reasons for playing and what they expect will be far less diverse than something that tries to appeal to multiple demographics of gamer.

I think my overused analogy of spinning plates holds true. Riot pretty much spin one plate and that's making a competitive game. It's approachable for new players because of the way they can seperate better players from the worse ones. The fact that it is free also helps. If Riot were to make LoL2, would the playerbase expect new features that would rope new players in or would they expect new features that would benefit competitive play?

I think Halo got too big for what it was. I don't think much could have been done to change it unless you wanted a completely exhaustive rethinking of the game's design and development. It's no doubt a good game. It just scratches many peoples' back for like a second before moving on to the next person. It feels like a let down because that scratch you got was so good and to get more of that, you'd be in bliss. It's a mighty shame.

A good point there, especially with the LoL2 part. LoL is booming and successfull as fuck, and doesn't have a variety of gametypes or anything it just is really well made.

Same thing for Minecraft, an indiegame with such an amazing success, I wonder how a successor to this game would look.

Like you said if games try to target a bigger audience most of the time they upset their original fanbase or at least strike some nerves

This is pretty much how I feel about Halo as a whole these days. :/

That's how I've felt about Halo since shortly into 3's release. Halo 2 gets a pass with all the BS like aimbot auto aim because of all the standards it created for gaming.. AND it was got damn FUN!

Halo 3/Reach/4 do not have my sympathy because lessons should have been learned, over and over again. Technically, there are no wrong Halo fans, but 343 is composed of a majority of wrong Halo fans. I felt so confident in this company created with the sole purpose of nurturing our Halo by Halo fans with Halo fans and for Halo fans. What we got though was a severely gimped final product that feels like an incomplete and less-fulling package of a game released in 2007..

Blows my mind.

I'm no competitive gamer anymore nor am I a casual gamer; I'm somewhere in between. A social gamer. A gamer who cares about competitive gaming but also doesn't give two shits about his global stats. A gamer who can go into MM and have fun in Team Throwdown and find fun in Action Sack. But.. also a gamer who's wise enough to know what he wants.

I'm at a cold point with this franchise. Immune to depression (lol), but still susceptible to disappointment. Game after game of disappointment. So what am I to do?

Combat Evolved 2

willow ve

I'm no competitive gamer anymore nor am I a casual gamer; I'm somewhere in between. A social gamer. A gamer who cares about competitive gaming but also doesn't give two shits about his global stats. A gamer who can go into MM and have fun in Team Throwdown and find fun in Action Sack. But.. also a gamer who's wise enough to know what he wants.

I'm at a cold point with this franchise. Immune to depression (lol), but still susceptible to disappointment. Game after game of disappointment. So what am I to do?

Combat Evolved 2

That's largely how I feel as well. Halo captures my attention and at times I feel like it's due to all of the nostalgia I have for the series. When I get back into the multiplayer I do find modes that I like (mostly Throwdown recently), but I"m not addicted to it like I was Halo 2 and 3 (and CE on LAN).

Madness

Watching the Destiny character art, you can clearly see Halo designed influences, one looks like an Elite with a plasma rifle, another looks like he's wearing a Prophet crown etc.

Can't wait to see how they act in-game. Really highlights how disappointing the Prometheans were.

Akai__

My feelings on the entirety of Halo 4's non-SpOps post launch handling. Everything was too little too late. If they had shipped the game with a feature set at least on parity with Reach then the game would have been passable, and the population might have lasted a little longer, but to launch the game with so many features removed is something I will never for the life of me understand.

You can't compete with all of these other franchises that are adding new, useful, innovative and interesting features while removing your own.

I have mixed feelings about the things they screwed up. Most things however, didn't fail to disappoint, sadly. I understand, that this was a new studio and that they had weird circumstances in the beginning, but you could think, that the people over 343i are good enough experienced, in order to deliver features from the beginning. Next time, they can't use that as an excuse.

But to be honest, I don't see a bright future for Halo anymore and I really want to be proved wrong.

Madness

Black Ops II is so polished it makes me embarrassed that I bought halo 4. :/

Not to join Team Slrp, but Treyarch had clearly learned from it's previous games and from Infinity Ward.

Their first game, Call of Duty 3 was pretty crappy. And only after they copied CoD4: Modern Warfare, did they get their act together with World at War, which was a good campaign and decent multiplayer.

So it's unfair to compare the two studios somewhat in level of polish. I'm almost positive Frankie and the higher-ups at 343 took note of this.

Top Bottom