• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of picking up a 2nd hand copy of Halo 4 again after a long hiatus.

I'd like to try the new maps out as I bought the season pass early on. Game drove me nutters, that's why I flogged it. But I need to play Halo, it's in my blood.

What does HaloGAF say to it now?

Still better than Reach? :p
Forget that 4 exists and pop in your Mythic disc instead. I don't care if the playlists only have a thousand people or whatever that's still 993 more than you need to play 4v4 with.

Fracas

#fuckonami

I'd like to try the new maps out as I bought the season pass early on. Game drove me nutters, that's why I flogged it. But I need to play Halo, it's in my blood.

In my humble opinion, not even close.

Regardless, if you can pick it up for cheap, may as well get it it you're dying for Halo. Otherwise, I'd steer clear.

You said you wanted a halo game,so why get halo 4?

I've done Medium first and Hard. Whats 1999 mode actually? I started it up but was too tired to keep going that night.

Game specific stuff below.

N what Boss Battles in Bioshock is Josh talking about? Slate wasn't a boss battle it was just fighting hoards. Handymen are harder enemies but not bosses, the ship battle isn't a boss either. So basically Josh didn't like Lady Comstock? Personally I think major enemies were handled well because there could have been four or five really bad boss battles. They didnt have a single enemy though that just had a huge health bar and they called a boss. N if you really hate Lady Comstock she can basically be cheesed with Carbine + Sniper sitting back in the tomb.

Death cost $100 each time and navigation is disabled, that really is the only thing different about it.

In terms of boss battle, you are correct, the only is
Lady Comstock
, and like you said it can be cheesed with ranged weapons.

I beat the game on Hard the first week it came out and then let my friend borrow it. I want to do a 1999 run once I get it back... is it really as easy as I'm hearing it is?

Yes, very easy because you already know enemy placements and are familiar with the game, also invest in maxing out possession as fast as you can. Makes the playthrough a breeze.

Was the defence part doable in 1999 mode? Hated it on normal even.

I did it on my second try (my only death here). I
spammed possesion, also you can instead of using the songbird on the Zeppelins, board the Zeppelins themselves and destroy the engines from the inside, and use the songbird on the troops and patriots, this has one key effect, using the songbird on ground troops results in a faster recharge as opposed to using the songbird on a zeppelin

Alright guys, important question time. Which one would you rather have?

- A full remake of Halo 2 with updated graphics

- A full remake of Halo 3 with 60 FPS and includes all Halo 2 maps

Which three maps won the FFA forge contest? I'm playing that playlist right now and some of these are pretty bad, I wanna make sure they're not the ones that won.

Alright guys, important question time. Which one would you rather have?

- A full remake of Halo 2 with updated graphics

- A full remake of Halo 3 with 60 FPS and includes all Halo 2 maps

If you're talking strictly MP, then Halo 3.

Now if we could port the improvements since into any of the games, then I'd pick Halo 2. Gimme that with 60 fps, Next Gen graphics, Campaign Theater, Forge, and Firefight.

Onikaan

Forget that 4 exists and pop in your Mythic disc instead. I don't care if the playlists only have a thousand people or whatever that's still 993 more than you need to play 4v4 with.

In my humble opinion, not even close.

Regardless, if you can pick it up for cheap, may as well get it it you're dying for Halo. Otherwise, I'd steer clear.

You said you wanted a halo game,so why get halo 4?

Ouch!

Could you guys quickly go over why you dislike the game? I'd like to see if they marry up to my own issues.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Ouch!

Could you guys quickly go over why you dislike the game? I'd like to see if they marry up to my own issues.

Loadouts, personal ordnance, global ordnance, boltshot, poor maps, poor playlist structure, poor DLC outside of 1 map pack, lack of legacy features, splintered gametypes across playlists, sprint, flinch, and instant respawn. To name a few.

My issues:

1. No Campaign Theater.
2. No offline Spartan Ops, and no customization in it.
3. Missing gametypes.
4. Ordnance and Perks. Too much randomness and guessing.
5. Flinch makes long-ranged battles a hassle.
6. Loadouts including anti-vehicle weapons.
7. DMR + Boltshot combo. Neither weapon should be in the game.
8. AAs that were annoying in Reach are still annoying (Jetpack, Camo, and now HLS).
9. Vehicles feel very light.
10. Too many large asymmetric maps and (ironcally) no 1-sided gametypes. Not enough small maps.
11. No Elites.
12. No in-game ranking system.
13. No covie stuff in the Forge palette, as well as the lack of precision tools.
14. No Hornet or Falcon.
15. The ending to the Campaign kinda made 10 years of Halo do a 180, and there were a lot of linear or repetitive missions.
16. Lens Flare, glare, and other high contrast colors make maps like Complex hard to play on.
17. Armor looks very angular and 'plastic' compared to Reach (which I thought looked great).
18. UI is very cumbersome to browse.
19. Blurry Loadout Camera
20. No classic settings for Slayer, Flag, etc.
21. Instant Respawn and Killcams.
22. Y U NO SPECTRE?

The list for Reach was about the same length.

Halo 3. BTB in Halo 3 was amazing.

BTB in Halo 3 was terrible coming off of Halo 2.

Honest question, what do people prefer in Halo 3 over 2? To me, Halo 2 was the far superior Halo 3. Halo 3 only served to make the game even more watered down, inconsistent and slow.

TCKaos

Honest question, what do people prefer in Halo 3 over 2? To me, Halo 2 was the far superior Halo 3. Halo 3 only served to make the game even more watered down, inconsistent and slow.

chopper1thumbnail.jpg

I found H3 BTB to be better because it had a more varied supply of vehicles which made it more fun. In terms of competitive play though, H2 all the way.

Akai__

For those who don't know yet. Siglemic is doing now a 24 hours run, because some guy went crazy and donated a good amount of money (think it was way over 1000US$, not sure).

twitch.tv/siglemic

Edit: Another guy just donated 1337US$ after he already donated 500$.

Edit 2: Holy shit what is happening. Sig is getting rich guys.

Still going to to with Halo 2.

I was talking about the control schemes, not aim acceleration. Default Halo controls are awful.
I also was not talking about polygons. I prefer the overall look of Halo 3 to Halo 2.
I prefer instant arm Bomb.

EDIT: I don't mean to sound rude in my reply.

Danny 117

Halo 4 has been slain by MW3 in the LIVE activity list. Oh my!
http://majornelson.com/2013/04/06/live-activity-for-week-of-april-1st/

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  2. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
  3. EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13
  4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  5. Halo 4
  6. NBA 2K13
  7. Battlefield 3
  8. Gears of War: Judgment
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  10. GTA IV
  11. Skyrim
  12. Modern Warfare 2
  13. BioShock Infinite
  14. Gears of War 3
  15. EA SPORTS NHL 13
  16. Halo: Reach
  17. Madden NFL 13
  18. Borderlands 2
  19. Assassin’s Creed III
  20. Forza Motorsport 4

Havok

Instant arm Assault was awful.

Reach's hybrid system was great since it kept disarms from 3 but not the instant arm, just needed separate arm and plant mechanics from 2.

wwm0nkey

I was talking about the control schemes, not aim acceleration. Default Halo controls are awful.
I also was not talking about polygons. I prefer the overall look of Halo 3 to Halo 2.
I prefer instant arm Bomb.

EDIT: I don't mean to sound rude in my reply.

Nothing rude about expressing opinions, at least you didn't call me a dick lol

Instant arm Assault was awful.

Being killed by somebody spawning while you're planting the bomb after walking all the way across the map with it is not what I'd call ideal.

I don't remember disarm time in H2 though so perhaps I could be thinking of something else.

Cod online tourney ended on Feb 25th.

Weow. I guess that image that was posted recently was outdated then.

Shows how out of touch with Xbox I am.

Nothing rude about expressing opinions, at least you didn't call me a dick lol

I guess I just felt that it was snappy. I might be slightly cranky, :p

Havok

Being killed by somebody spawning while you're planting the bomb after walking all the way across the map with it is not what I'd call ideal.

I don't remember disarm time in H2 though so perhaps I could be thinking of something else.
Halo 2 didn't have disarms. The arming zone was a separate, larger radius object from where you needed to plant it. If you stopped a fully-armed bomb from touching the plant spot and stopped them from touching it again, the bomb would reset at their base.

Instant arm made offense trivially easy by comparison, especially when you could just waltz into the base, drop a bubble shield, and win fifteen seconds later. Immediate rushes weren't just viable with instant arm, they were usually the most effective, low-risk tactic, which kills the pace that made Assault so satisfying. Arm times meant that timed pushes during respawns were a requirement against good teams, not just sort of helpful. If you're getting killed by somebody spawning, then you didn't have a good team setup to catch them off spawn in order to protect your carrier. The slow-paced, cautious setup and push, having to protect the carrier the entire time is what made Assault a more interesting gametype than CTF in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom