• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gAg CruSh3r

Why must the Halo Wars campaign be sooo boring? Cutscenes are nice, but I'm really struggling to get through it. Want those achievements I guess, so I have to just grind through it.

(I've only completed the HW campaign once on an offline profile)

I thought the campaign was pretty good but multiplayer was where its at! I wish they would make it 5v5 or at least 4v4 for this game.

Halo Wars 2 Beli343!...

Edit: I need the achievements as well still :/..

Trasher

frankDREVIL.jpg

BigShow36

They're not changing the direction they've taken with Halo 4 but they are fixing some of the issues AND getting more involved with the community (which is good considering how badly everything was handled in the beginning). We have to wait for Halo 5 for big changes.

What issues are they really "fixing" in terms of actual gameplay changing updates? All they're really doing is making the BR the go-to rifle instead of the DMR. Max kill times aren't changing, only the skin of the rifle doing the shooting is changing, strafe speed isn't changing, aim assists aren't changing. So again, what "issue" are they fixing?

I'm not saying I'm against the changes, I just don't understand why it's being treated like this game-changing event that is going to fix everyone's issues. I have nothing against them being involved in the community, but I don't see the need for this hyped-up "playtest" when they're not altering how the game actually plays. Every other company releases updates that change weapon behaviors and gameplay all the time, and they don't trumpet them up like it's a new game or something. They just get it done and push them out.

Omni

try to do the optional missions, its add a little challenge.
Yeaah, I'll give those a go while I'm at it I guess. Just the mission design in general seems a little lethargic.
I thought the campaign was pretty good but multiplayer was where its at! I wish they would make it 5v5 or at least 4v4 for this game.

Halo Wars 2 Beli343!...

Edit: I need the achievements as well still :/..
I concur. I only really ever play multiplayer but decided that it was about time that I went through campaign on my online account. MM had so much potential, but it was wasted (I like to blame the fact that it is on console).

Unfortunately I don't see HW2 happening any time soon. There doesn't really seem to be that much money in console RTSs

Every Halo Tournament is a Virgin Tournament.

:lol

What issues are they really "fixing" in terms of actual gameplay changing updates? All they're really doing is making the BR the go-to rifle instead of the DMR. Max kill times aren't changing, only the skin of the rifle doing the shooting is changing, strafe speed isn't changing, aim assists aren't changing. So again, what "issue" are they fixing?

I'm not saying I'm against the changes, I just don't understand why it's being treated like this game-changing event that is going to fix everyone's issues. I have nothing against them being involved in the community, but I don't see the need for this hyped-up "playtest" when they're not altering how the game actually plays. Every other company releases updates that change weapon behaviors and gameplay all the time, and they don't trumpet them up like it's a new game or something. They just get it done and push them out.
To the bold, aim assist on automatics have reportedly been decreased. Small victories, woo.

I completely agree with the last statement you made. Ideally, there's no need to throw a parade when pushing out weapon tweaks. However, I think that in Halo 4's case, some fanfare needs to be made in an attempt to bring players back to the matchmaking pool.

Yeaah, I'll give those a go while I'm at it I guess. Just the mission design in general seems a little lethargic.

I concur. I only really ever play multiplayer but decided that it was about time that I went through campaign on my online account. MM had so much potential, but it was wasted (I like to blame the fact that it is on console).

Unfortunately I don't see HW2 happening any time soon. There doesn't really seem to be that much money in console RTSs

:lol

Your joking? Halo Wars sold gangbusters. And even still has a dedicated community going.

Also blame the fact it was on consoles? Uh it was designed from the ground up to be on consoles...

InvisibleKnight

Neo Member

They admitted their mistakes many times (anyone who expects apologies or "our game sucks" should do a reality check), added red Xs, hired Bravo, hired Quinn and with the TU they are buffing precision rifles to match the DMR's firepower so there theoretically won't be a go-to rifle that dominate in every situation. Aim Assist in precision rifles' values may change based on testers (congrats btw) feedback. Bel343.

Of course they could just release the TU, throw a changelog on waypoint and bam shit's gone but like you said before it is cool that they are doing this with community members and that might be the purpose, they messed things up with Halo 4 but they are showing the community that they care and the future will possibly be brighter.

To be clear, I do agree with you and I hate the same things you hate about this game (my main complaints are Flinch, no De-scoping and BR with recoil) but I'm trying to think in a positive way here without being in team SALT or SLRP. Join team HOPE now.
200px-I_WANT_YOU.PNG

Omni

Your joking? Halo Wars sold gangbusters. And even still has a dedicated community going.

Also blame the fact it was on consoles? Uh it was designed from the ground up to be on consoles...

Dedicated community of what, 2000 max?

And absolutely not. Halo Wars sold what, 2 million over four years? I love the game, but why would Microsoft invest the resources in making an RTS when obviously the current gaming trends indicate that first person shooters are more likely going to bring back a bigger profit on consoles? Given that all things Halo are now under one house, I don't see them choosing to make a HW2 over a Halo 5 or other shooter spin-off.

And yes. Consoles held it back. Game could have been so much more on PC.

Dedicated community of what, 2000 max?

And absolutely not. Halo Wars sold what, 2 million over four years? I love the game, but why would Microsoft invest the resources in making an RTS when obviously the current gaming trends indicate that first person shooters are more likely going to bring back a bigger profit on consoles? Given that all things Halo are now under one house, I don't see them choosing to make a HW2 over a Halo 5 or other shooter spin-off.

And yes. Consoles held it back. Game could have been so much more on PC.

"The funny thing about Halo Wars is it actually beat our sales forecasts, so it was a bigger success than we expected," he said. "It was a big critical success and it's still the number one selling RTS on consoles this generation.

Frankie said this to CVG in 2011.

Actually the population peaks at around 6-7 thousand players four years on.

343 are going to abandon Halo 5 to make HW2? Halo Wars was made by Ensemble, 343 would have another company make the game.
Preferably Robot

If it was on PC it wouldve bombed, it wouldve been another run of the mill RTS game. It was the best selling console RTS...

Yeah, hardly a success right?

Yep. Nothing has changed with Halo 4 since launch. 343 does nothing! Oh wait if they hadn't of hired Bravo he'd be on that list too, but they wouldn't listen to him right?

bububu I have to salt my crops daily!

edit: if i were franchise director of a deathmatch/arena shooter would u guise buy it

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
As if 343 will really take their comments into account.

Again, I'm not sure that this mini event is a, "come balance our shit" deal. What could we achieve in 2 days that they can't in the months of tweaking they're doing? Obviously if we find something to be unbalanced or out of whack, we are going to open our mouths. I really think they've got this pretty nailed down at the moment. With myself, Bravo, Ninia and Ghostayame gonna be there, there will be some suuuper competitive matches for hours on end. I'm gonna try to test everything I can.

I will be treating this as a mini vacation though so I plan on going out and getting fucked up too lol.

Again, I'm not sure that this mini event is a, "come balance our shit" deal. What could we achieve in 2 days that they can't in the months of tweaking they're doing? Obviously if we find something to be unbalanced or out of whack, we are going to open our mouths. I really think they've got this pretty nailed down at the moment. With myself, Bravo, Ninia and Ghostayame gonna be there, there will be some suuuper competitive matches for hours on end. I'm gonna try to test everything I can.

I will be treating this as a mini vacation though so I plan on going out and getting fucked up too lol.

Just keep saying that the Carbine still feels underpowered the whole time...

Omni

I actually had a response written, but I can't be bothered arguing about this haha. I love Halo Wars. It works well for what it is... but as much as I'd like to see a sequel (I still want to know what happens to the SoF), I just don't see MS investing the resources into making one when there is much more money to be made somewhere else.

:)

InvisibleKnight

Neo Member
The BR's recoil is barely noticeable. Are people really complaining about it?

BR recoil (without taking into account Flinch) is far more than barely noticeable and you shouldn't have to stand still and shoot against a column to understand how badly recoil impacts on your gameplay but feel free to do so if you want to.

I actually had a response written, but I can't be bothered arguing about this haha. I love Halo Wars. It works well for what it is... but as much as I'd like to see a sequel (I still want to know what happens to the SoF), I just don't see MS investing the resources into making one when there is much more money to be made somewhere else.

:)

Expands the brand and is profitable? Sounds like a good investment to me.

BigShow36

Back to my original point; what are you going to be testing? It's Halo 4 except instead of using the DMR all the time, you're going to be using the BR. The kill times aren't changing; the BR is simply replacing the DMR. The aiming skill-curve isn't steepening, the game isn't speeding up. I don't understand why something that will not change the gameplay needs this red-carpet rollout.

Yep. Nothing has changed with Halo 4 since launch. 343 does nothing! Oh wait if they hadn't of hired Bravo he'd be on that list too, but they wouldn't listen to him right?

Nothing that has impacted the gameplay, which is where my gripes lie. Why should I care about them hiring Bravo? I have no indication that he understands or has any impact on meaningful balance tweaks.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Nothing that has impacted the gameplay, which is where my gripes lie. Why should I care about them hiring Bravo? I have no indication that he understands or has any impact on meaningful balance tweaks.

So the balance tweaks that they just announced, that Bravo has been helping with, are not meaningful. Gotcha.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Back to my original point; what are you going to be testing? It's Halo 4 except instead of using the DMR all the time, you're going to be using the BR. The kill times aren't changing; the BR is simply replacing the DMR. The aiming skill-curve isn't steepening, the game isn't speeding up. I don't understand why something that will not change the gameplay needs this red-carpet rollout.

It's a global weapon rebalance. Many weapons have been changed from what I understand and in various ways including damage, auto aim and range.

If no destiny this year and expected consoles launches this year I wonder if Destiny Xbox 360 and Destiny PS3 are still options at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom