• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigShow36

It's a global weapon rebalance. Many weapons have been changed from what I understand and in various ways including damage, auto aim and range.

Unless, I'm mistaken, here are the changes to weapon balance (correct me if I'm missing something):

AR: reduced aim assist (great, thumbs up from me)
BR: decreased shots to kill to 4, reduced rof, kill time comparable to DMR (meaningless)
DMR: reduced distance at which reticle turns red (should alleviate some of the BTB complaints).

The AR change is great, but ultimately not a game changer by any means. The BR change is meaningless because it's simply replacing the DMR with the BR. It's not altering anything other than what weapon people will use as their precision rifle. Sure, the BR is now a 4sk, like it always should have been. Okay, but the kill time of the precision weapon group is not changing, which is what matters. They're trying to add variety to what weapon players choose, not change how the game plays. The DMR change is great for BTB players, but for everyone outside of that, it's pretty insignificant.

None of those changes fundamentally alters how Halo 4 will play. Again, I have nothing against them per se, just that they're insiginificant and aren't the game-changers they're being treated as. Precision weapons are still too easy to use, strafe speed is still to slow, and the slew of other problems outside of weapon balance still exists. What are we testing? Why is this being treated like its the beta for a new game?

So the balance tweaks that they just announced, that Bravo has been helping with, are not meaningful. Gotcha.

See above.

Booties

Banned
This play test is a joke. Heckfu sucks. Tashi is going to wape, and they're just gonna play the same people over and over again. You can't learn shit from that kind of test. You need to take it to matchmaking and see how it really plays. How frustrating will it be when you lose to try hards? How fun will it be to dong on bks? You won't know until the end of the summer. Can't wait.

Of course they will, there will still be a lot more 360's and PS3's out there next year than the new consoles.

The PS3 version was never a certainty I don't think. something about performance on PS4 dictating it. But I guess the 360 version would be too far in development at this point to cancel and It's likely to sell lots of units.

Omni

So basically your saying MS should only invest in shooters and nothing else because they are popular right now?
No.

I'm saying that they probably aren't going to invest millions of dollars into making a game for a genre that has been dead for years, has never been terribly popular and even when it does bring back money, is a relatively small amount in comparison to what shooters do at the moment.

Striker

The AR change is great, but ultimately not a game changer by any means. The BR change is meaningless because it's simply replacing the DMR with the BR. It's not altering anything other than what weapon people will use as their precision rifle. Sure, the BR is now a 4sk, like it always should have been. Okay, but the kill time of the precision weapon group is not changing, which is what matters. They're trying to add variety to what weapon players choose, not change how the game plays. The DMR change is great for BTB players, but for everyone outside of that, it's pretty insignificant. .
Isn't the AR getting a buff in damage? I mean I can agree a reduce in aim assist is a good thing, but the damage is not. It's already powerful enough as is, and with stopping power, is greatly annoying when getting shot from behind. The chain-gun in the Warthog and Mantis are also supposedly getting amped up, but that was never necessary. The Warthog is enough powerful, but since they love keeping the plasma pistol and plasma 'nades in loadouts, it's creating one powerful counter in for another. Whatever.

The problems that stem in "BTB" in this game are from a lot of items, one being the DMR's aim assist at a long distance. Will the reticle turning red at closer distances help that? Maybe but not very much. The other issues are still obviously going to be there, big whoop. Loadouts, ordnances, redundant/overpowered weapons, bad vehicle balance, bad maps. it's awful. I rather play BTB in Reach but then I remember 343 made that into a non-stop Slayer and Heavies circus.

No.

I'm saying that they probably aren't going to invest millions of dollars into making a game for a genre that has been dead for years, has never been terribly popular and even when it does bring back money, is a relatively small amount in comparison to what shooters do at the moment.

Please don't ever run a business.

The PS3 version was never a certainty I don't think. something about performance on PS4 dictating it. But I guess the 360 version would be too far in development at this point to cancel and It's likely to sell lots of units.

Bungie announced the game on the PS3 and 360, and they obviously know the time frame for when the game will be finished. This has all been set in stone for probably quite some time now.

Of course I won't be buying the game for the 360, but plenty of people will.

I think with these new changes, they should also remove the Plasma Pistol, Promethean and Plasma grenades, and The Boltshot from custom loadouts. I want to enjoy BTB again.

jPk8UQm81YKjM.jpg

I made this in my graphics class. :)

Superintendent stickers that I'm gonna stick to my bedroom walls. :D Took me 2 days but I'm happy with how they came out. Little sad that the angry one I accidentally ruined by cutting the outline, but whatever, 5/6 ain't bad!

EDIT: Also keeping in line with my school+Halo work, this was my contribution for my group assignment in my US History class. We had to draw 13 things that describe the 2000's. I decided if anything video game related was going to be there, it'll be this guy.

Sorry if this post seems blog-ish or anything, I think it'd be safe/nice to post some Halo related things I've done in a Halo community. Hope no one minds. :)

Pop

This play test is a joke. Heckfu sucks. Tashi is going to wape, and they're just gonna play the same people over and over again. You can't learn shit from that kind of test. You need to take it to matchmaking and see how it really plays. How frustrating will it be when you lose to try hards? How fun will it be to dong on bks? You won't know until the end of the summer. Can't wait.

You're acting like a beta would have solved the problem.

:)

I made this in my graphics class. :)

Superintendent stickers that I'm gonna stick them to my bedroom walls. :D Took me 2 days but I'm happy with how they came out. Little sad that the angry one I accidentally ruined by cutting the outline, but whatever, 5/6 ain't bad!

Should have been Keep Calm and Stay Speedy.

Sai-kun

Banned

I still remember the games we had at PAX, where it was HaloGAF vs. 343. A certain someone shouted to the 343 team "Maybe you guys will be better at your next game?" Hilarious.

Madness

No.

I read a few of your posts, I agree. As much as people want Halo Wars 2, it's not happening. MS had probably the second best RTS studio in the world, in house, when they green lighted Halo Wars. It was well received, sold well. And what do they do after launch? They shut the studio down and lay off all the staff.

Now apparently, a large contingent of Ensemble went onto to form Robot, but they're not the same. And even if MS approached them about doing a second game, you have to remember, the studio is now a third party, not in house. They will have to factor in increased costs.

We're at a point in the industry, where fewer risks are being taken because of the decreased profitability. They're not going to greenlight $100 million plus for a new AAA Halo RTS, especially to a studio that they no longer have direct oversight of. They can instead use that money, pump out a sequel or another ODST styled first person version, and perhaps get double or triple the sales.

Outside of Halo fans, how many are really going to want to play a console RTS when you'll have games like Destiny, Battlefield, Call of Duty, etc.

blamite

I had to Keep Calm and Stay Something. I'm throwing that portion of the sticker away. :p

Was between Keep Calm and Stay Super or Keep Calm and Keep it Clean, thought the former was more in line with the phrase.

Keep it Clean would have been better. Either way, Keep Calm and Carry On is the worst meme in the sense that there's literally nothing to it other than "hey, look, we referenced that one phrase!" There's no joke or anything clever about it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Unless, I'm mistaken, here are the changes to weapon balance (correct me if I'm missing something):

AR: reduced aim assist (great, thumbs up from me)
BR: decreased shots to kill to 4, reduced rof, kill time comparable to DMR (meaningless)
DMR: reduced distance at which reticle turns red (should alleviate some of the BTB complaints).

The AR change is great, but ultimately not a game changer by any means. The BR change is meaningless because it's simply replacing the DMR with the BR. It's not altering anything other than what weapon people will use as their precision rifle. Sure, the BR is now a 4sk, like it always should have been. Okay, but the kill time of the precision weapon group is not changing, which is what matters. They're trying to add variety to what weapon players choose, not change how the game plays. The DMR change is great for BTB players, but for everyone outside of that, it's pretty insignificant.

None of those changes fundamentally alters how Halo 4 will play. Again, I have nothing against them per se, just that they're insiginificant and aren't the game-changers they're being treated as. Precision weapons are still too easy to use, strafe speed is still to slow, and the slew of other problems outside of weapon balance still exists. What are we testing? Why is this being treated like its the beta for a new game?

See above.

Just so I get this straight. You're saying this weapon rebalance isn't a game changer and that there's no real reason for all this hype. I don't necessarily disagree with those things but I do think this balance is a big deal. It's easy for me to say all this hype is a great idea because I'm going to Seattle next week but I do like that 343 is doing something like this. I actually asked in the interview I did asking why not fly community members and pros out to do some testing. Maybe they heard me. I don't know.

Just so I get this straight. You're saying this weapon rebalance isn't a game changer and that there's no real reason for all this hype. I don't necessarily disagree with those things but I do think this balance is a big deal. It's easy for me to say all this hype is a great idea because I'm going to Seattle next week but I do like that 343 is doing something like this. I actually asked in the interview I did asking why not fly community members and pros out to do some testing. Maybe they heard me. I don't know.

I dont think anyones going to come back to Halo because of a sandbox weapon rebalance in a month.

I dont think anyones going to come back to Halo because of a sandbox weapon rebalance in a month.

Sad truth. The only way I can see Halo raise to a prominent place in the multiplayer arena again is Halo 2 Anniversary with bugs (HGS) fixed and then a strong Halo 5 with less fluff and a back to basics play style.

Its never happening. Personally I say Halo 4 is all but dead. Patch it to as vanilla as it can be with a classic gametype and put a classic playlist in MP and shoot it in the head and start working on making Halo 5 the best it can be.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

It's a minor tweak.

Just look at other game updates out there to appreciate the scale of this update compared with other games.

A collective "meh" from parts of the community still playing should not be unexpected.

And yeah, being flown over to test this update (which is the stupidest thing I've heard in terms of a solution to a wider problem) does so ever so slightly skewer your opinion of it.

I'm already certain you'll come back from that event singing the praises, generally speaking the very nature of these "tests" skewers the actual results. That ain't your fault.

Tawpgun

Who'd you want to give feedback to 343 though?

The people going, or the masses that play infinity and infinity big team and vote for complex?

Greenskull aside, I trust their feedback more.

Booties

Banned

Dude, no one is going to care. They might as well give us exactly what we want since casuals don't know the difference

BigShow36

Just so I get this straight. You're saying this weapon rebalance isn't a game changer and that there's no real reason for all this hype.

Yes, essentially thats what I'm saying. All of these changes are just noise; they don't really change any of the glaring issues I personally have with Halo 4's gameplay. Maybe for people who use AR's a lot this is a big deal, but for most players this is pretty insignificant.

Are kill times going to increase? No
Are precision weapons going to be more difficult to use? No
Is strafe speed increasing? No
Are static weapons returning? No
Is Team Shot going to be any less necessary? No

All that adds up to equal an update that does very little to actually change how the game plays.

Like I said, it's cool that you're flying out to Seattle and playing Halo 4 with some tweaked settings, but for everyone else this is a pretty insignificant update. It's hard to complain, because they are changing some things for the better, but in terms of long-term improvement to the gameplay of Halo 4 this simply isn't enough. Maybe I'm wrong (I hope I am).

Gui_PT

I like how they invited fans they like/fans they've met.

Some of them barely play Halo 4 nowadays and yet they have a plane ticket to go play and test an relatively minor update.

Get local people that play the game often and are actually interested in it.

Also I ain't jelly.

OverHeat

« generous god »

Some of them barely play Halo 4 nowadays and yet they have a plane ticket to go play and test an relatively minor update.

Also I ain't jelly.

True.

Duji

Yes, essentially thats what I'm saying. All of these changes are just noise; they don't really change any of the glaring issues I personally have with Halo 4's gameplay. Maybe for people who use AR's a lot this is a big deal, but for most players this is pretty insignificant.

All that adds up to equal an update that does very little to actually change how the game plays.

Like I said, it's cool that you're flying out to Seattle and playing Halo 4 with some tweaked settings, but for everyone else this is a pretty insignificant update. It's hard to complain, because they are changing some things for the better, but in terms of long-term improvement to the gameplay of Halo 4 this simply isn't enough. Maybe I'm wrong (I hope I am).
You mean decrease? And yes, the fastest kill time for an unscoped utility weapon will drop from 1.47 seconds (current DMR) to 1.4 seconds (tweaked Carbine), however little that may be.

Also I'm curious, fellow HaloGAFers. How many of you dislike how the BR is getting a faster kill time? I recall a few of you saying you prefer longer kill times in general (OddOne and monsterfracas IIRC).

IHaveIce

Banned

Also I ain't jelly.

What? I hope you are sarcastic. Ghost & Ninja play everyday, compete at tournaments and ghost creates the Throwdown settings.

vvvv Gotcha. Yes I would also like to see how they give Greenskull the boot.

Tashi

It's a minor tweak.

Just look at other game updates out there to appreciate the scale of this update compared with other games.

A collective "meh" from parts of the community still playing should not be unexpected.

And yeah, being flown over to test this update (which is the stupidest thing I've heard in terms of a solution to a wider problem) does so ever so slightly skewer your opinion of it.

I'm already certain you'll come back from that event singing the praises, generally speaking the very nature of these "tests" skewers the actual results. That ain't your fault.

Well I'm excited for this update. I've been wanting these starting rifles to be balanced for a long time and hope that they are.

I know that I won't know for sure that the weapons are balanced properly until months down the line. These 2 days aren't enough. Which is why I'm not considering this event to be some sort of major playtest. It's part of a hype machine to get people excited for this update. In the scope of Halo 4, this rebalance is a big deal.

Who's everyone else? The people who don't like and don't play Halo 4? Yea I would agree then. I think though that for the people who still play Halo 4, this is significant.

Static weapons were added to some playlists months ago btw.

Gui who are you talking about specifically?

Gui_PT

But, are you jam?

Tell me Gui.

I'd rather not comment on that.

Why didn't they invite Xand btw?

Oh that's why.

Edit: To Tashi, don't want to offend anyone but does Heckfu even play the game? Like more than twice a week?
Also you. You are bad. I remember killing you once in a Halo 3 customs night. Which means you're bad. Bad.

BigShow36

You mean decrease? And yes, the fastest kill time for an unscoped utility weapon will drop from 1.47 seconds (current DMR) to 1.4 seconds (tweaked Carbine), however little that may be.

Yes, I meant decrease. I was unaware that the Carbine was going to have a faster kill time than all other rifles, but I have my reasons for disliking the carbine.

Akai__

Oh that's why.

Edit: To Tashi, don't want to offend anyone but does Heckfu even play the game? Like more than twice a week?
Also you. You are bad. I remember killing you once in a Halo 3 customs night. Which means you're bad. Bad.

Heckfu played with ExWife, IHaveIce and me earlier.

GG btw guys. Sorry, that I had to bail too early.

Tashi

Oh that's why.

Heckfu isn't going. It was a joke. So far the only confirmed people going that I know of are myself, Ninja, Ghostayame and the legendary GreenSkull.

Booties

Banned
So 343 is just going to surprise us and put all the changes in some day this week, right? We're not actually going to have to wait until summer, right?

Gui_PT

Heckfu isn't going. It was a joke. So far the only confirmed people going that I know of are myself, Ninja, Ghostayame and the legendary GreenSkull.

Well then I mean you. I still remember that one kill I got on you.
You should be ashamed.

So 343 is just going to surprise us and put all the changes in some day this week, right? We're not actually going to have to wait until summer, right?

Wait summer. So like June/July time? basically another 2 month. So about 9 month after launch. I doubt anyone will be their to play the changes at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom