• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Apparently, and no, you can't.

Which sort of defeats quite a bit of the purpose. This sort of disconnected "go somewhere else to experience it" set-up also really hurt the Terminals in Halo 4. It's a wonder they implemented CSR like that when they've already been burned by disjointed implementation in the past.

Because they couldn't put CSR in game. I'd venture a guess that it's already in Halo 5.

Blueblur1

Played for the first time in 2 weeks. I only got to play 2 of the 3 maps but it was such a lackluster experience that I turned off the Xbox without playing the third. And the red X's are hilarious. I hadn't seen them in action until tonight and they're implementation is so fucking piss poor. Crap like that makes you think 343's made up a bunch of amateur game developers.

Because they couldn't put CSR in game. I'd venture a guess that it's already in Halo 5.

Then why not utilize the under-the-hood TrueSkill system? It may not be ideal for 343i, but it would go much further way to please players to show what they're hiding than cook up a Bizarro ad-hoc ranking system.

FyreWulff

Then why not utilize the under-the-hood TrueSkill system? It may not be ideal for 343i, but it would go much further way to please players to show what they're hiding than cook up a Bizarro ad-hoc ranking system.

Pure Trueskill can't be used as a progression system, which is what people want to see

Alright we got two on Reach.

Dunno if Duji heard me

I'm making some food real fast and kinda waiting for a fuller party.

Anyone jooin up.

Havok

CSR is kinda neat. It's nice to somewhat care about wins again, even if it is only for a number on Waypoint. It tends to lag behind a bit in my experience, though, but given the wonkiness surrounding Waypoint tonight I guess that's to be expected. Join in Progress ruins a lot of what that number actually means, though, especially in the W/L playlists.

This Drop Shock week thing sounds incredibly silly. New marketplace items are not an event, folks. Shouldn't there have been some kind of buildup if this is a big deal?

Also, I finally played Outcast. I kind of wish I hadn't. It's not necessarily bad...but it feels incredibly messy. Both visually and in terms of layout, it was just hard to visualize where all the hundred tiny tunnels and ramps go and how they interconnect with the overlapping circles that comprise the two vehicle routes.
343 will gain a lot of approval from just acknowledging that their ideas may not have been the best. I respect people who try new things, but also realize when they don't work and find alternatives. If we continue down this path gameplay wise, less core fans may be inclined to stick around..
So...this is what I was hoping we'd get from either the multiplayer panel or (especially) the postmortem. I don't want anyone to be thrown under the bus, but what I expect from a postmortem is precisely what you mentioned: here's what the developer thought worked, here's what didn't. Here's what's going to probably stick around, here are some things that probably won't make it in next time. I was going into that thing hoping to get some honest insight into how 343 viewed their own game, but we got whole lot of "this is the general design philosophy at 343 and here's how we approached the game and boy, taking the reins from Bungie is really hard!" instead. Not that there's anything wrong with talking about that in its own right because it is fairly interesting to hear about, but it's not why I come to postmortems or a panel centered around Halo multiplayer's "past, present, and future."

There are few things I respect more than hearing a developer (or any creator) talking frankly about where they can improve in the future.

So...this is what I was hoping we'd get from either the multiplayer panel or (especially) the postmortem. I don't want anyone to be thrown under the bus, but what I expect from a postmortem is precisely what you mentioned: here's what the developer thought worked, here's what didn't. Here's what's going to probably stick around, here are some things that probably won't make it in next time. I was going into that thing hoping to get some honest insight into how 343 viewed their own game, but we got whole lot of "this is the general design philosophy at 343 and here's how we approached the game and boy, taking the reins from Bungie is really hard!" instead. Not that there's anything wrong with talking about that in its own right because it is fairly interesting to hear about, but it's not why I come to postmortems or a panel centered around Halo multiplayer's "past, present, and future."

There are few things I respect more than hearing a developer (or any creator) talking frankly about where they can improve and what worked.
Bungie, to their credit, was pretty forthcoming in areas they felt they screwed up in. A lot of Halo fans regard Halo 2 as the mecca of the franchise...not so much the people who worked on it. They're pretty self-critical after the fact, exception being Reach, which I believe was more a matter of wanting to present their final days of handling Halo as being brighter than they were.

343 Industries both lacks the self-referential irreverence and the self-critical nature of Bungie. It makes them a lot harder to relate to, in my opinion. Talking about bullet-points with pictures of handicapped Spartans wasn't exactly helping, either. I'm not saying that 343 needs to bend over backwards while shouting "SORRY!" from the rooftops of their headquarters, but they don't strike me as the type of people to sneak in something like "Yeah, we admit it: SMG starts were a bad idea" into their matchmaking message system. It feels a lot more corporate and lacking in spirit. Maybe Microsoft has stronger reins on 343 than they did Bungie. They're typically pretty great when it comes to handling developer culture.

Sweet, I'll switch in just a sec. GT?

I'm Gruntyking117 on XBL.

Damn plywood, thanks for that I guess. That went over my head. I'd never have guessed that. I'm amazed people could get that from the few scenes in the episode.
If you want to know in regards to the books...
Things go down a bit differently than in the show. Winter fell gets surrounded with the ironborn inside, but by Ser Rodrik and stark men. However, they are attacked before taking winterfell by bolton's bastard who was thought dead. He beheads Rodrik, kills all the ironborn, burns winterfell and takes theon. In the third book, maybe parts of 4th and 5th too, can't remember, we find he tortured theon until he was completely broken and pretty much insane. If the show is staying somewhat true to the story, then yes that is bolton's bastard (probably the kid who offered him help, as a trick.)

FyreWulff

People already have a progression system, they want to see a ranking system.

People expect it to work in a progressive manner, though.

If pure TS was used your skill would go something like 1>13>18>45>48>40>32>25>33>40>29>35>33>34>36 as the system tried to figure you out. This is why Bungie hid your Arena division until 30 games were played, as that was roughly enough games to get past the wild swings part of TS.

If you could get a 50 in 4 games there'd be account restarting like a motherfucker as people kept pulling the slot machine arm

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
How are the new maps so far? My internet's YOLOing so I probably won't be able to check them out until this Thursday at the earliest.

The new maps are alright. I actually kinda like Daybreak and Perdition, but Outcast is pretty bad. Why is there a Mantis and a Wraith on it???

In other news, whatever gametype we played on Solace in Customs was actually pretty cool. The future of Halo.

The new maps are alright. I actually kinda like Daybreak and Perdition, but Outcast is pretty bad. Why is there a Mantis and a Wraith on it???

In other news, whatever gametype we played on Solace in Customs was actually pretty cool. The future of Halo.

MLG Chumstains coming to a playlist near you.

Giving it 3-5 months until most people (Who cared or were "excited" about CSR) don't care about CSR, unless 343 finds a relevant way to build its population back by bettering the system somehow. Its as if they made CSR not Only for Halo 4 but perhaps any future Fps Halo games that they will do... Neglecting almost any hope of a pure competitive system.

Pop

Giving it 3-5 months until most people (Who cared or were "excited" about CSR) don't care about CSR, unless 343 finds a relevant way to build its population back by bettering the system somehow. Its as if they made CSR not Only for Halo 4 but perhaps any future Fps Halo games that they will do... Neglecting almost any hope of a pure competitive system.

Yup CSR is here to stay...
Do I even need to say it

I give it 3-5 weeks MAX, you're being way to generous.

Just read the facebook post about CSR. Every single post was either talking shit about how they've dropped the game completely or how this should have been in game all along. 343 may not be in a very enviable position at the moment but regardless of where they look online they have to see the community is negative as all hell.

I'm curious what the right thing to tell the community is. It's not like they could ever be expected to just say "We dun fucked up on some Halo 4." But how do you convince people that the future titles will be better? I almost feel bad for them.

By not lying and making simple changes that should've been made ages ago. There comes a point where you stop feeling sorry and accepting that these are conscious decisions being made.

New favorite? New favorite.

PS - Don't let Munch get the Sword in Reach.. He's washed up.

v Oh my name.. nice B]

Sai-kun

Banned
FUNKNOWN iXi
(Today, 12:32 AM)

wait what i missed something

aau6p0z.gif

Just want to say OST #2 is awesome sounding and just reminds me what a bloody travesty it was that it was mixed so low / compressed to all hell in the game.

Obscured

So for those that are already 50s, how many games did it take? (Obviously going to be different by playlist, but they already mentioned that in the bulletin where they described how CSR would work).

Attempting
to stream for the first time. I'm playing the new Castle in matchmaking trying to get a CSR 50.

http://www.twitch.tv/speedybluedude

Anyone mind watching for a few seconds and telling me if it's running/looks decent? I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Looks pretty smooth to me. Also checked out the past broadcast (http://www.twitch.tv/speedybluedude/b/388534676) and you're working fine mate. Also listed you on that Waypoint Streaming thread, just for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom