• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

Why should Invasion have been exempt?

- It's a game mode made specifically around vanilla Reach
- It has too many adverse effects (phases with DMR pickups would become unbearable for the attackers, elites camo would be nerfed, basically the Elites would have a bad day all around)
- Apparently they were out of memory in the Megalo script to add the TU stuff anyway. Invasion was pretty maxed out

Madness

- It's a game mode made specifically around vanilla Reach
- It has too many adverse effects (phases with DMR pickups would become unbearable for the attackers, elites camo would be nerfed, basically the Elites would have a bad day all around)
- Apparently they were out of memory in the Megalo script to add the TU stuff anyway. Invasion was pretty maxed out

I tried out the Gears of War: Judgment demo. That's what I wish invasion was.

Imagine you could pick different classes of the Covenant to attack with. Same goes for the Spartans. Jorge/Hunter are the heavy gunners, slow but can destroy defenses and take lots of damage, grunts/Emile/Kat the small arms units. Can use plasma Pistol or Needler or Shotgun/Magnum. Carter/Elites are the standard infantry. Solid health, assault rifle/dmr/needle rifle/plasma repeater. Jun/Jackals are the agile snipers.

Just a dumb idea. Noble Team deployed to infiltrate a Covenant stronghold before the war etc. And Covenant team deployed to take a key location in Reach etc. Sounds dumb, but add in sort of what dominion became etc.

Some good news: Daybreak's mancannon is a forge object and can be removed. Some bad news: Daybreak doesn't have a Structure category so you can't actually fix the problem.
The most baffling thing is that all of their prerelease messaging about this map emphasized that the bases were functionally symmetric, but that's very clearly not the case. I mean, it was obvious even from the flythrough that red's base was easier to run the flag from (which makes the whole "this is my favorite CTF map in the entire series" thing pretty hilarious). It has a ton of potential because I like a lot about the map, but it doesn't work with symmetric gametypes.

I take that first bit back. The most baffling thing is that two of the three maps in this pack are asymmetric but the game doesn't have any asymmetric gametypes.

There comes a time when somebody senior needs to step in and end this madness, a time when enough is enough. What the fuck does 'functionally symmetric' mean anyway? Solace is 'functionally symmetric' in that there is a base at each side of the map. However, one base is superior to the other, particularly in Oddball and for camping purposes. It's one of the myriad reasons the map plays like heated up refuse.

Narrows is Solace's spiritual parent and it gets it right the first time. Both bases are identical. Like The Pit. And Citadel. And Avalanche. And Midship. All the best maps in other words.

Can you imagine if we started applying the 'functionally symmetric' lunacy to football pitches? Sure, both teams have a goal and penalty area but one side's goal is smaller, is slightly less distance to the center circle and has a man cannon coming from the wing. It's ok, though, because the other side has a smaller penalty box and a death ball in half the goal. CA: "It's probably my favourite pitch to play on"

MS needs to clear out these clueless charlatans and replace them with people who understand basic concepts such as fairness, equidistance and starting on an even keel. I just can't reward behaviour that gets it wrong at such an elementary level so the Castle pack becomes the second DLC for Halo which i do not purchase. I used to buy them day one, unquestioningly.

Gonna turn salt levels to maximum and say playing Infinity Slayer with PV boltshotters on Abandon makes me want to castrate anyone who thought this was ok.

Infinity Slayer was always a mess but I imagine CSR motivation makes it even more abusive and exploited.

Purplemage

Neo Member

I get the DMR/Camo deal. But that's very interesting about the scripting in invasion being unable to handle the TU. I wonder if any other gametypes had issues like that.

FyreWulff

I get the DMR/Camo deal. But that's very interesting about the scripting in invasion being unable to handle the TU. I wonder if any other gametypes had issues like that.

I don't think any other ones came close to Invasion. Chess maxed out the scripting too, but the TU wouldn't have meant anything there..

There comes a time when somebody senior needs to step in and end this madness, a time when enough is enough. What the fuck does 'functionally symmetric' mean anyway? Solace is 'functionally symmetric' in that there is a base at each side of the map. However, one base is superior to the other, particularly in Oddball and for camping purposes. It's one of the myriad of reasons the map plays like heated up refuse.

Narrows is Solace's spiritual parent and it gets it right the first time. Both bases are identical. Like The Pit. And Citadel. And Avalanche. And Midship. All the best maps in other words.

Can you imagine if we started applying the 'functionally symmetric' lunacy to football pitches? Sure, both teams have a goal and penalty area but one side's goal is smaller, is slightly less distance to the center circle and has a man cannon coming from the wing. It's ok, though, because the other side has a smaller penalty box and a death ball in half the goal. CA: "It's probably my favourite pitch to play on"

MS needs to clear out these clueless charlatans and replace them with people who understand basic concepts such as fairness, equidistance and starting on an even keel. I just can't reward behaviour that gets it wrong at such an elementary level so the Castle pack becomes the second DLC for Halo which i do not purchase. I used to buy them day one, unquestioningly.
I Agree, it's just stupid how any designer can think these maps are fair.

The just need to keep things simple, those are always the best maps.

Manathen

Neo Member
Edit: Got to stop accidently posting using my girlfriend's account, god damn it. (Zeouterlimits)
edit: And just to explain, the original Kevin interview was "turned down" because I guess they wanted more energy and stuff in the recording. So we got Kevin, Frankie and Bravo on the interview for an hour and a half or so.
I look forward to it greatly!
Ehh, the original recording was fine; maybe a little dry. Not your fault though, it's hard to do one-on-one interviews over Skype, when every great podcast in history has followed the same basic dynamic: Looks, Brains, Wildcard.
Looks, Brains, Wildcard, where does that leave Luke?

There comes a time when somebody senior needs to step in and end this madness, a time when enough is enough. What the fuck does 'functionally symmetric' mean anyway? Solace is 'functionally symmetric' in that there is a base at each side of the map. However, one base is superior to the other, particularly in Oddball and for camping purposes. It's one of the myriad reasons the map plays like heated up refuse.

I agree 100%. A map can have asymmetric elements and still be symmetrical (like Valhalla). But this "functionally symmetric" business where one side is different needs to stop. This goes back to keeping it simple and straight forward.

Madness

I agree 100%. A map can have asymmetric elements and still be symmetrical (like Valhalla). But this "functionally symmetric" business where one side is different needs to stop. This goes back to keeping it simple and straight forward.

Not to take sides but isn't that the same thing, just less of extreme of an example?

What I mean is, Valhalla isn't really symmetrical at all. The bases are symmetrical, but the truth is that it's an asymmetrical map that tries to mimic a symmetrical map. There are different sightlines, different modes of attack, different open/closed areas.

In reality, it's just that its asymmetrical features don't create as large a disparity as there is in Solace, or the new maps.

MS needs to clear out these clueless charlatans and replace them with people who understand basic concepts such as fairness, equidistance and starting on an even keel. I just can't reward behaviour that gets it wrong at such an elementary level so the Castle pack becomes the second DLC for Halo which i do not purchase. I used to buy them day one, unquestioningly..

Pure gold.

Not to take sides but isn't that the same thing, just less of extreme of an example?

What I mean is, Valhalla isn't really symmetrical at all. The bases are symmetrical, but the truth is that it's an asymmetrical map that tries to mimic a symmetrical map. There are different sightlines, different modes of attack, different open/closed areas.

In reality, it's just that its asymmetrical features don't create as large a disparity as there is in Solace.

Ugh, I think what I was trying to get at was to keep the bases, lines of sight, and distance from power weapons the same on a symmetrical map. It can still have asymmetric elements in it.

Avalanche was a better example.

kylej

Banned
600full-natalie-dormer.jpg

mmm hmm

this is the hottest chick in GoT period point blank end of sentence. all who debate are wrong

Ugh, I think what I was trying to get at was to keep the bases, lines of sight, and distance from power weapons the same on a symmetrical map. It can still have asymmetric elements in it.

Avalanche was a better example.

I think a map can be asymmetrical but still not have the blaring issues that Daybreak and Solace have.

Basically the three points A3LG mentioned.

Tawpgun

Blows my mind that 343 couldn't make spawns equidistant from power weapons/areas.

Red team on abandon automatically gets ring control.

Haven is a symmetrical map win asymmetric spawns.

Forgers do it all the time. Gotta test for fairness.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Halo 4 night tonight folks. Send me a FR if you have not and want in. Depending on the number of people we'll do DLC, Throwdown, etc. or BTB. (Or really anything).

Blows my mind that 343 couldn't make spawns equidistant from power weapons/areas.

Red team on abandon automatically gets ring control.

Haven is a symmetrical map win asymmetric spawns.

Forgers do it all the time. Gotta test for fairness.

The haven one is my favorite. How do you pick asymmetric spawns on a symmetric map? You actually have to think harder to come up with the default spawns they decided on.

Halo 5 should launch with 10 remakes, and that will be the only maps made from the developers.

Then a robust and extensive map making tool can be included for the players themselves to make the maps they want to play on. Because you're right - most Forgers test these sorts of things out day in and day out before they say it's "finished". The way the maps in Reach and Halo 4 have been going, it doesn't seem like they're testing them before they ship them. Even if they do, the layouts were inherently flawed to begin with.

m23

Halo 5 should launch with 10 remakes, and that will be the only maps made from the developers.

Then a robust and extensive map making tool can be included for the players themselves to make the maps they want to play on. Because you're right - most Forgers test these sorts of things out day in and day out before they say it's "finished". The way the maps in Reach and Halo 4 have been going, it doesn't seem like they're testing them before they ship them. Even if they do, the layouts were inherently flawed to begin with.

I'm tired of remakes. I'd prefer new maps, just have better people making them. Quinn is a good sign for me as I loved the maps in Gears 3, not even sure if he had a hand in making the maps but still.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Halo 5 should do some "guest" map packs and have Bungie do one, along with a few other devs that make great maps. That would be pretty interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOFmFPpcjEQ&t=12m54s

RIP in peace Frankie, RIP Halo, RIP 343, etc.
So it seems that this 40-year old is a fucking moron. He calls the people at 343 assholes and then goes on to talk about the merits of constructive criticism. Fuck that guy, I feel dumber for even watching that.

Also, sorry about the extremely laggy custom games, R3v3rb. I tried inviting you back into the group, but the menu was completely frozen for me.

Most remakes since Halo 3 have been lousier.

Because we see things like Ragnarok where key features of the map are removed and game breaking things are added. I never really heard complaints about the Anniversary maps. The gametypes themselves are a different question, and that's once again the result of gameplay mechanics changing too much from the core.

All I'm getting at is that I'm not optimistic about brand new maps anymore. The majority of them seem to be large asymmetric BTB maps with a bunch of random ass rocks and junk around there. That's not Halo.

I'd rather see launch maps remade as maps that have worked in the past, and leave the rest to us. The things the community has been pulling off in Forge continue to impress me. We need more maps like Simplex and less maps like Settler.

willow ve

I'd rather see launch maps remade as maps that have worked in the past, and leave the rest to us. The things the community has been pulling off in Forge continue to impress me. We need more maps like Simplex and less maps like Settler.
Simplex is probably the best map in the game. Works great for every gametype I have played on it, spawns aren't horrible, and the map has real flow.

We don't need any more asymmetrical maps dedicated to symmetrical gametypes. Daybreak it's a joke for balanced CTF.

Omni

for funks sake. I don't know why I do this to myself and try to play Halo 4.

I am so very sick of getting put in games against full parties. It's funking stupid and so very frustrating. Wasn't so much a problem before, but CSR has made things a lot worse for the single player that goes in alone. Please 343i, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease. Put in Ranked and Social playlists in Halo 5. Let the try hards full parties play with other parties or at the very least people who want to play competitively.

for funks sake. I don't know why I do this to myself and try to play Halo 4.

I am so very sick of getting put in games against full parties. It's funking stupid and so very frustrating. Wasn't so much a problem before, but CSR has made things a lot worse for the single player that goes in alone. Please 343i, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease. Put in Ranked and Social playlists in Halo 5. Let the try hards full parties play with other parties or at the very least people who want to play competitively.

I wish Halo had Mercenary playlists. I go in alone about 70% of the time, and I, too, am sick of being put in against full teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom