• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
for funks sake. I don't know why I do this to myself and try to play Halo 4.

I am so very sick of getting put in games against full parties. It's funking stupid and so very frustrating. Wasn't so much a problem before, but CSR has made things a lot worse for the single player that goes in alone. Please 343i, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease. Put in Ranked and Social playlists in Halo 5. Let the try hards full parties play with other parties or at the very least people who want to play competitively.
The DLC playlist is really bad for this, and I don't know if I'll keep playing it as a solo player.

I really wish 343 would put better markers in place to pair up solo players with other solo players (read: also no fucking guests), even if it means a longer wait time. I don't see how this is too much to ask for.

As to the maps...bleh. Overall, it's about as poor of a selection as Reach had, and I don't mind saying that I do NOT like what Certain Affinity has made for this game. They've skewed the maps away from the core 4v4 player base with big asymmetric maps that really don't play well at all, and despite the revamp to CTF, offer no good symmetric maps to play the mode on. And now the two decent symmetrical maps are DLC and rarely show up for me, which completely sucks. Hopefully the sale can entice people who still play to get at the very least Majestic, because it's easily the best offering of the three.

And it's (the sale) only for 24 hours. Countdown and everything on the dashboard.
This is incredibly short-sighted. The sale should have been all week long; Halo needs something relatively long-lasting to attract more players, not artificially create some bullshit sense of urgency.

Fuchsdh

The DLC playlist is really bad for this, and I don't know if I'll keep playing it as a solo player.

I really wish 343 would put better markers in place to pair up solo players with other solo players (read: also no fucking guests), even if it means a longer wait time. I don't see how this is too much to ask for.

As to the maps...bleh. Overall, it's about as poor of a selection as Reach had, and I don't mind saying that I do NOT like what Certain Affinity has made for this game. They've skewed the maps away from the core 4v4 player base with big asymmetric maps that really don't play well at all, and despite the revamp to CTF, offer no good symmetric maps to play the mode on. And now the two decent symmetrical maps are DLC and rarely show up for me, which completely sucks. Hopefully the sale can entice people who still play to get at the very least Majestic, because it's easily the best offering of the three.

Yeah I really like Daybreak but there's just the nagging thing of "it's so close to symmetric... why didn't they just make it that way?"

I've had very little difficulty getting matched with DLC players in other lists, though.

CyReN

Crimson was pack 1 right? Yeah I don't care for it too much. The last 2 packs are solid though.

Yep, always remember:

NYy8J.png

(via Jazzy)

Yeah I really like Daybreak but there's just the nagging thing of "it's so close to symmetric... why didn't they just make it that way?"

I've had very little difficulty getting matched with DLC players in other lists, though.
I've been mainly playing Infinity Slayer recently because I don't like BTB, and because it has the second-largest pool of players to choose a decent match from. I think maybe once in the last 10 games have offered a DLC map (but it was only one of the choices, wtf), and everyone jumped on it like flies on shit.

edit: haha, I actually forgot about that terrible map. I've maybe played it like 6 times and hope I never see it again.

I'm tired of remakes. I'd prefer new maps, just have better people making them. Quinn is a good sign for me as I loved the maps in Gears 3, not even sure if he had a hand in making the maps but still.
New maps typically suck though. Add long as you remake good maps the maps will be good.

Karl2177

Then you still have to account for the base game being changed. Old maps just don't mesh well with new elements.

Bingo.

You could remake Midship in Halo 4, but it would be garbage because of Halo 4's game mechanics. I've thought about doing the reverse and back-port a map. Usually I just stop because of how frustrating Halo 3's Forge is now, but I think Highlands would be a fairly good Halo 3 map, even though it made an awful Reach map(half because of the weapon layout, half because of the DMR/AAs). I really wonder how Haven would fair in Halo 3 due to the sightlines of the curved hallways.

Boss Nasti is the future of MLG man.

"Mah n**ga. Mah n**ga. Your ass needs to cover that choke point, n**ga. Stop going for damn headshots with the snipe! Body shots, n**ga, be a team player. If I was their coach, this amateur shit wouldn't happen."

It is known.

Other than Adrift was there any other truly symmetrical, two base map in Halo 4's launch line-up? For flag, at a 4v4/5v5 level (no btb flag as of yet) Adrift is all they put out there, a map which I don't mind but is not a good map for flag, particularly with loudouts enabled (Promethean Vision skews the map too far in favour of defenders in the base).

Most flag games on Adrift in throwdown are ended by an expired timer rather than a full five caps.

It didn't stop there.

CE remakes such as Hang Em High didn't work well in Halo 2 because no fall damage.

CE maps don't work unless the game is like CE.

And my comment literally meant that Halo needs to stop adding (and removing) all these things. That includes fall damage or whatever.

God, I can't believe I went from being bored of CE to wishing it had never changed.

Havok

Re: remakes - A lot of the problem is that the elements they add to the base game fundamentally change how the map plays. Jetpacks on Headlong made that map a complete bummer and I adore Headlong. But another problem that comes up just as frequently is that the remakes make changes to the map's geometry, or more often its weapon layout, and those changes often don't make sense and break what was good about the map in the first place. With Anniversary, the geometry changes were actually really great for the most part...but then they boned up the weapon layouts on their revamped versions of those maps. Beaver Creek wouldn't have played as well as it did in H2 anyway with the jetpacks and sprint and whatnot, but it would have been serviceable. But Battle Canyon ended up being kind of terrible because they put a shotgun in each base and a sword in the middle, then moved the bomb arm spot out in the middle of nowhere. It's sort of a lose/lose. Either they make changes to the base game that break the map, or they make changes to the map and it doesn't play like it should.

Other than Adrift was there any other truly symmetrical, two base map in Halo 4's launch line-up? For flag, at a 4v4/5v5 level (no btb flag as of yet) Adrift is all they put out there, a map which I don't mind but is not a good map for flag, particularly with loudouts enabled (Promethean Vision skews the map too far in favour of defenders in the base).

Most flag games on Adrift in throwdown are ended by an expired timer rather than a full five caps.
It isn't 4v4/5v5, but Meltdown is symmetric with pretty decent bases. Longbow is close, but the bases aren't actually the same since one is merged into a cliff wall. Neither of those maps is used for flag, though.

The insistence on having CTF go to 5 caps on nearly every map is baffling. Offense is harder than ever with that awful waypoint, the boltshot's defensive capabilities, and Promethean Vision, but they somehow want the default score to win to be higher than it's ever been in vanilla Halo? They changed it to 3 for Ragnarok, but that needs to be the case across the board in the vanilla CTF playlist. Five caps only works in hardcore playlists like MLG and Throwdown because A) the map pool and its specific variants suit it (sans Adrift, in this case), and B) a lot of the offending elements have been stripped out to make for a faster, more offensively viable game.

wwm0nkey

Again trying to limit my talking of this but Murder Miners update 7 is out which added CTF, on map weapons, team scoreboard and a hookshot is out. Next update will probably have spectator mode.

willow ve

Again trying to limit my talking of this but Murder Miners update 7 is out which added CTF, on map weapons, team scoreboard and a hookshot is out. Next update will probably have spectator mode.
What! No full map editor with custom terrain yet!? Haven't they seen Farcry?!?

What if there was a playlist with BR only, increased base speed, no sprint and only symmetrical forge maps. Then put that on the top of the page so everybody plays it. Because I honestly have fun on some of these small forge maps.

Lightning Flag on that midship like forge map is really fun. It's fast paced and feels like what Halo used to.

Re: remakes - A lot of the problem is that the elements they add to the base game fundamentally change how the map plays. Jetpacks on Headlong made that map a complete bummer and I adore Headlong. But another problem that comes up just as frequently is that the remakes make changes to the map's geometry, or more often its weapon layout, and those changes often don't make sense and break what was good about the map in the first place. With Anniversary, the geometry changes were actually really great for the most part...but then they boned up the weapon layouts on their revamped versions of those maps. Beaver Creek wouldn't have played as well as it did in H2 anyway with the jetpacks and sprint and whatnot, but it would have been serviceable. But Battle Canyon ended up being kind of terrible because they put a shotgun in each base and a sword in the middle, then moved the bomb arm spot out in the middle of nowhere. It's sort of a lose/lose. Either they make changes to the base game that break the map, or they make changes to the map and it doesn't play like it should.

Battle Canyon is one of my favorite Halo maps, but I'm talking about the one in Anniversary with the old weapon layout. They shouldn't try to fit those maps into the Reach sandbox because they weren't built for them. I usually enjoy Timberland, but spawning with DMRs and active Camo ruins it.

I guess I don't need to keep saying that Halo should stay simple. All these great maps are now lost in history because they can't be played like they were anymore. I'd honestly love to see most Halo maps in HD sometime in the future, but thanks to DMRs, anti-vehicle snipers, AAs, flinch, and the new flag mechanics, that's next to impossible.

Omni

I wish Halo had Mercenary playlists. I go in alone about 70% of the time, and I, too, am sick of being put in against full teams.
Yeaaah. Mercenary playlists would be amazing

Yeah, I know. I was surprised that 343i didn't really fix the problem with Halo 4 because of the complaints about party matching in Reach. Doubt anything will happen with H4 now unfortunately

It should come with a disclaimer like:

Warning: Actual maps probably won't show up in matchmaking at all and you'll more than likely regret buying them sooner or later.

I can literally count the number of times I've played Crimson and Majestic maps outside of their launch playlists on both of my hands... haven't even bothered to download the newest map pack yet.
Totally regret getting the Limited Edition of Halo 4. But as they say, "fool me once...." . Needless to say I won't be buying another Halo LE again

Caja 117

OT: just finished playing Specs ops: the line. Incredible game, while the gameplay is an average 3rd person shooter, the story is amazing, it sure puts to shame any so called military shooter that it is out there. I Recommend this game, one of the best I played in a while.

Havok

Battle Canyon is my favorite Halo map. I'm not talking about the variant that was in the default playlist though.
So...Beaver Creek is your favorite Halo map, then? Because Battle Canyon was the updated variant with the shotguns, teleporter rooms, and sword. It might be semantics, but without the updates, it's just Beaver Creek. That classic variant was awesome, base Battle Canyon was not.

So...Beaver Creek is your favorite Halo map, then? Because Battle Canyon was the updated variant with the shotguns, teleporter rooms, and sword. It might be semantics, but without the updates, it's just Beaver Creek. That classic variant was awesome, base Battle Canyon was not.

Ugh, how do I put this--

Beaver Creek was one of my favorite Halo 2 maps, but it's been replaced by the version in Reach. The map itself is named Battle Canyon, but when I say that I am referring to the anniversary version and not the one used in the other playlists. So yes, Beaver Creek, but the Reach version.

It's the best version of CTF on this game. Touch to return flag, small maps, no radar, fast kill time.

Well I'm not going to argue there. Action Sack is probably the best playlist in the game.

TCKaos

OT: just finished playing Specs ops: the line. Incredible game, while the gameplay is an average 3rd person shooter, the story is amazing, it sure puts to shame any so called military shooter that it is out there. I Recommend this game, one of the best I played in a while.

"I- I didn't mean to hurt anybody..."

"No one ever does, Walker. Three..."

The single most chilling sequence in a video game. Bar none.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It should come with a disclaimer like:

Warning: Actual maps probably won't show up in matchmaking at all and you'll more than likely regret buying them sooner or later.

I can literally count the number of times I've played Crimson and Majestic maps outside of their launch playlists on both of my hands... haven't even bothered to download the newest map pack yet.
Totally regret getting the Limited Edition of Halo 4. But as they say, "fool me once...." . Needless to say I won't be buying another Halo LE again

Really? I get them all the time. Played BTB with a friend last night and got a DLC map almost every time the selection screen popped up.

Omni

Really? I get them all the time. Played BTB with a friend last night and got a DLC map almost every time the selection screen popped up.

Unfortunately yeah. I've seen people here talk about getting the maps quite often like yourself, but for some reason it's not like that for me. If my memory is correct, I've probably played no more than 5 Crimson maps outside of the launch playlist and no Majestic maps at all.

I wish there was an all DLC playlist.

Defect

Ugh, how do I put this--

Beaver Creek was one of my favorite Halo 2 maps, but it's been replaced by the version in Reach. The map itself is named Battle Canyon, but when I say that I am referring to the anniversary version and not the one used in the other playlists. So yes, Beaver Creek, but the Reach version.

Well I'm not going to argue there. Action Sack is probably the best playlist in the game.
Yeah, a playlist with terrible gametypes is the best playlist.

Lightning Flag is fucking stupid. Lol at that guy saying it's the best ctf gametype.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Unfortunately yeah. I've seen people here talk about getting the maps quite often like yourself, but for some reason it's not like that for me. If my memory is correct, I've probably played no more than 5 Crimson maps outside of the launch playlist and no Majestic maps at all.

I wish there were an all DLC playlist.

Odd. I swear Shatter is up there 24/7 in BTB.

Omni

Odd. I swear Shatter is up there 24/7 in BTB.

I only play CTF in this game (don't really like BTB any more) plus when I play at night time here in Australia the population is rather low (less than a 1000 people in each playlist). So it's probably just luck of the draw as less people are playing and less people have the DLC.

Yeah, a playlist with terrible gametypes is the best playlist.

Lightning Flag is fucking stupid. Lol at that guy saying it's the best ctf gametype.

You know, right now I'm not even in the mood to take sides. AFAIC, Halo MP has been largely stupid since SMG starts.

I haven't played in a while, but how easy is it to find games? Are there a couple of lobbies during peak times?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom