• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

mo60

I figured out why I could not unlock that assassination achievement and the health pack achievement. All campaign and firefight related achievements have to be completed on a difficulty setting of normal or higher.I got the health pack achievement in forge.I also got some of the other campaign/firefight related achievements now to.

Redford

aka Cabbie
How to rediscover innovation:
Scrap the Waypoints that are used in CTF in Halo 4.

Replace it with this:
480px-H3_ODST_HUD.jpg

That way there's the unique tool to locate the objective or item to find but doesn't defeat the purpose in hiding and timing to advance with 1 flag or oddball.

Yeah that's not a bad idea.

and bring back the automag while you're at it

Yeah but that list is Social Slayer, which the majority are going to be in anyway

Is BTB DLC required? Playlist will be a horrorshow if they don't at least require Heroic... Valhalla and SandTARP 24/7

With Halo 3 going free soon, that means we're going to get a consolidation of playlists, right?

...right?

Lol

What was 343's official statement on descoping for Halo 4?

They're removing stopping power to enable sprint double beatdowns instead. And charging for the privilege to do it. Halo in 2013.

willow ve

Is BTB DLC required? Playlist will be a horrorshow if they don't at least require Heroic... Valhalla and SandTARP 24/7

They're removing stopping power to enable sprint double beatdowns instead. And charging for the privilege to do it. Halo in 2013.
For a second I thought this was sarcasm. Then I remembered there are new perks coming. We just can't get a win.

IHaveIce

Banned
So modders did it... they were the first who brought no sprint and no instant respawn to Halo 4, also 4shot BR and now Flag juggling and descoping.....

They just could have been a little bit faster.

Fire 343s guys hire modders.

And juices

Now all we need are writing mods to show 343 what it means to craft an engaging story that doesn't require you to stop playing the game or purchase additional material to find out about the new characters and their motivations.

FyreWulff

He explained it at Se7enSins, how it works:

Increases weapon swap time to 2500% (super fast)
Switches weapon to an invisible weapon used in Extraction (which unscopes)
Switches back to weapon
Resets weapon swap time

He also said it was possible to remove flinch, so there's that.

I bet the bug with the Promethean weapons has to due with the animation of the weapon parts coming together when you swap it.

Yep, sounds like a giant hack. I wouldn't get too excited unless he can figure out any and all edge cases (ie, what if I'm picking up another weapon while being "descoped")

Wait, here's what I don't get. If memory serves, descoping still exists, it just takes more shots to accomplish and flinching exists. Would it be possible to just eliminate flinch and reduce the "descope health" value to 0 to make it work in a single shot?

Frankie, Ellis, the fact that there are modders out there putting in things like flag juggling and descoping should tell you everything you need to know about this community. The ones who slurped have long moved on, the ones who care are still plugging away.

An excellent point that was true for every Halo game. Now with Halo 4 and a new studio there's no more hiding that fact because the retention rate is worse than it's ever been. 343 needs to cater to the fans that actually care about Halo games for the long haul.

I am assuming here, but an educated guess would say it's definitely possible, probably not too challenging.

However the problem with having such a big studio is it isn't very flexible.
They probably don't have developers on the dedicated support team who could make the changes, so they'd have to locate and reassign them, which would mess up the production schedules of whatever project they are working on now (halo 2 anniv, obviously)

Instead of disgracing Halo 1 (again) by giving H2A online multiplayer, they should just make Halo One: a combination of Halo 1 and Halo 2. The gunplay fundamentals would take after Halo 1, but the responsiveness of the movement could be taken from Halo 2. The maps could be a combination of remakes from both games only, no maps from later games unless they could fit well like The Pit.

If they do decide to remake Halo 2, just do the Campaign and make "Halo One" the multiplayer component. It would play 100 thousand million times better than just a remade Halo 2.

For example:
h2ce.jpg

The Halo 2 we should have received IMO.

FyreWulff

Ramming Halo 1 and Halo 2 wouldn't work out.

Halo 2's mega jumps would break Halo 1 maps without vertically scaling them (like they did with Tombstone)

Halo 1 movement would make Halo 2 maps that require Halo 2's jump height to work unplayable.

The best bet is to take what worked from each game and evolve Halo out of that. Don't remake a single damn map, make spiritual successors that work with the game you're making.

That .jpg is basically people not knowing what they actually want. "Every weapon has it's role. But we made the sniper both a short range and long range weapon. So you're probably only going to use the Sniper and BR."

IHaveIce

Banned
Now all we need are writing mods to show 343 what it means to craft an engaging story that doesn't require you to stop playing the game or purchase additional material to find out about the new characters and their motivations.
you mean Wahrer?

And stop Ghost from using his own settings
Dude even the last time you could not bring up one point besides using Sprint instead of No Sprint....

Also Ghost is not the one who decides the AGL settings if they and the pros say they want those mods, they will use them

Edit:
Agreed. I'm wondering when we're finally going to get a Promod or Unity playlist in matchmaking.
Lol didn't know you had a account here.

Yeah weird that 343 doesn't want modded gametype lists. Not at all

But they should make some of those mod tweaks official

Ramming Halo 1 and Halo 2 wouldn't work out.

Halo 2's mega jumps would break Halo 1 maps without vertically scaling them (like they did with Tombstone)

Halo 1 movement would make Halo 2 maps that require Halo 2's jump height to work unplayable.

The best bet is to take what worked from each game and evolve Halo out of that. Don't remake a single damn map, make spiritual successors that work with the game you're making.

That .jpg is basically people not knowing what they actually want. "Every weapon has it's role. But we made the sniper both a short range and long range weapon. So you're probably only going to use the Sniper and BR."

I thought this was a given assumption whenever things like that are said lol. You obviously can't take an exact thing from one game and leave it as it was for the new game you're putting it into.

And I 100% disagree with your comment on the pic. What about the other notes? It clearly shows where Halo 2 messed up after coming off Halo 1 and does prove that the fans know what they want lol.. I'm confused at your decision to point out the Sniper when not only is it a map pickup, but other weapons were balanced properly to make them more useful too (also noted in the pic).

Whatchu talkin bout Fyre?

FyreWulff

I thought this was a given assumption whenever things like that are said lol. You obviously can't take an exact thing from one game and leave it as it was for the new game you're putting it into.

And I 100% disagree with your comment on the pic. What about the other notes? It clearly shows where Halo 2 messed up after coming off Halo 1 and does prove that the fans know what they want lol.. I'm confused at your decision to point out the Sniper when not only is it a map pickup, but other weapons were balanced properly to make them more useful too (also noted in the pic).

Whatchu talkin bout Fyre?

copying the text directly

"The Pistol is Back! 4 Shot Kill with Headshots"

obsession with shot count over actual kill time. Unless they RoF adjusted this (you do remember how fast the H2 pistol fires, right?) this is now a nightmare weapon. If you did RoF adjust it, it hast to be slower than the BR, otherwise there's no point to using the Carbine or BR. Pistols are sidearms, not mainrifles.

"The Assault Rilfe is Back! No Dual Wield, Stronger then the SMG, less spread"

So basically the SAW in Halo 2 but even worse because it's Halo 2 and now has less spread than the SMG.

"90 degree field of view"

i'll agree with this, but FOV really needs a slider. 90 is good, but some people get motion sick from it. let them slide it down to 75 if they want.

"No Auto-aim!!!"

or 'how to watch an FPS fail in one easy step'. Play a match of Slayer with everyone on the same team. Notice how un-fun it is on a controller? If you want to play on a controller, you need aim assistance.

"Less Magnetism on all weapons"

Depends on which magnetism they're talking about. If they're talking about aim friction, this is needed to make controllers work. If they're talking about the game actually pulling your bullet trajectory a bit, this is needed to make weapons work over the internet, especially hitscan weapons. Unless they remove it completely, sweep-sniping is still possible in Halo 2.

"The Shotgun is no longer the 'Slotgun'. Less spread makes for a less host advantage"

If you reduce spread on a shotty it becomes more powerful, giving the host even MORE advantage. In the Halo 2 context, it would have even MORE host advantage. The issue was with Halo 2's netcode, not really the gun itself. I think Bungie found a sweetspot with the Reach version, but they also had two generations of netcode improvement at that point too.

"No More annoying PP/BR combo! Much less homing on the Plasma Pistol charge makes this imposssible, you now have to lead you PP charges"

I've always found the combo annoying, but this was mostly addressed in Halo 3 and Reach. I always thought the proper fix though, was to prevent you from switching away an overheated Plasma Pistol (or any other overheated weapon), making avoiding overheating an actual skill and a time-cost if you want to set up the combo. It would certainly make it more of a teamshot option rather than a single-person feat.

"Thought out gameplay. Without any auto-aim, you now have to plan out your moves, it is no longer the same game of spray and pray"

Other games have had options to turn auto-aim off. Nobody clamored onto those games as pinnacles of skill, though.

"It's all about BALANCE. Every weapon has it's use. The Pistol, the Carbine and the newly useful Needler are the 3 mid-range weapons. The PR, AR, Sword and Shotgun are the 4 close range weapons. The 2 Snipers are the long-range weapons. Each of these has its own advantages in gameplay"

They don't mention the changes to the Carbine or Needler anywhere, so I don't know what they did with them. However, if the Magnum is 4SK, I don't know why I'd be using a BR for mid or an AR or even a shotgun for close range (remember the Reach customs with the ZB Magnum?). The sniper now has a closer zoom level, making it more useful than the Carbine at close range for headshots. If the Needler is buffed and still DW-able, then you have a more useful weapon at mid-range than the BR. I'm also humored by the fact that the Needler gets buffed (in the H2 context, I assume this meant increasing it's tracking) while at the same time nerfing the PP overshot tracking. One requires a second weapon to kill, the needler kills on it's own.

So at this point, on big maps I'm rolling Sniper and BR. On smaller maps I'm rolling Magnum and AR, because the magnum headshots people faster than the BR and the AR is better than the shotgun, sword, and every other weapon in the game at close range due to bleedthrough. When my AR empties, I can switch to the magnum for quick 1SKs or cleanup kills.

Nobody in this game would have any reason to pick up most of the other weapons.

"Rocket Homing drastically reduced. Can only realistically home in on the Banshee."

I'll agree with this, but was already solved in Halo 3 by splitting out the lock-on ability to the Missile Launcher. Was addressed further in Reach by revisiting the Halo 2 RL lock on but only letting you lock on to air vehicles, which is what they should have done the first time they introduced lock-on.

"Sniper Mid Range ability is Back. The 6x zoom is traded for 2x, while the 10x stays as it is"

Why should a long range weapon have a close range zoom level? It's a long range weapon. You should only be using it at 2x ranges out of desperation, not as a feature.

"Faster Running = Better Strafing"

Running will never be fast enough, no matter if they made 110% speed of the current game the standard, people will always jack it up to 110% speed in the next game because they're the Tonya Harding of Halo and prefer to ice skate while attacking other people

"Better Grenades. You can throw like a man again. You can now lure weapons twards you again or flip vehicles while moving with grenades"

Besides the rolleyes "throw like a man again", you can already throw grenades across Coag in Halo 2. Weapons flying across the map is thankfully a dropped feature, as the opening move on every map would be everyone wasting their grenades trying to launch guns back to them. New players would find all their weapons leaving their base. Matched players would just be swapping weapons. A relic of Halo 1's terrible physics model.

You WERE supposed to be able to flip vehicles in Halo 2, however there's a bug in the engine that disabled physics for anyone that was not the host. If the host was driving the hog, you could flip it with grenades. Yes, that's right, the intended version of Halo 2 had more flippy vehicles and everyone could grenade jump. One of the reasons why splitscreen Halo 2 and LAN/LIVE Halo 2 are worlds apart.

Grenades should be a personal weapon, not long range exploding sniper bullets. Crossmapping grenades should be a joke move, not a main feature of gameplay. Look at Standoff matches for an example of what would happen in the newer sandboxes.

"Underpowered weapons like the Needler and Plasma Pistol have been given a significant boost. They're now balanced with the rest of the game. Overpowered vehicles like the Banshee for example has lost it's boost. Balance is the name of the game."

Changes are not specified, addressed above. They addressed the wrong problem with the banshee, which I'll now be able to pick off with the AR easily. Halo 3 came the closest to a balanced Banshee. But the Reach falcon is what Halo needs to be thinking about for air vehicles, a shame it didn't find it's way into Halo 4.

Hey haloGAF, I'm buying a new TV and figured this would be a good place to ask since a few of you have probably done the same recently. I'm looking for a good TV in the 40"-46" range and was hoping some of you might have some recommendations. I don't want to get something and find out it's straight terrible for gaming. Is there anything specific I should look for or anything I should avoid? I wouldn't want my TV to add to Halo 4's problems. Thanks.

Fracas

#fuckonami
7m9tz3J.gif

Hey haloGAF, I'm buying a new TV and figured this would be a good place to ask since a few of you have probably done the same recently. I'm looking for a good TV in the 40"-46" range and was hoping some of you might have some recommendations. I don't want to get something and find out it's straight terrible for gaming. Is there anything specific I should look for or anything I should avoid? I wouldn't want my TV to add to Halo 4's problems. Thanks.
I don't have any specific models to look for, but Samsung and Vizio TVs are really solid.

willow ve

So how long until the modders give us dedicated servers?

^^^^^
I have 3 Vizio tvs in my house and have no complaints other than sound quality (easily remedied with headphone fir gaming and Vizio soundbar for everything else)

Their new M series is sharp and affordable.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

My family got a 42" the other day to replace our old SDTV. It's pretty good. It's an LG 42LN5700, I think. I'm sticking to my 4:3 monitor for gaming, though, for now.

belushy

Banned
you mean Wahrer?

Dude even the last time you could not bring up one point besides using Sprint instead of No Sprint....

Also Ghost is not the one who decides the AGL settings if they and the pros say they want those mods, they will use them

Edit:
Lol didn't know you had a account here.

Yeah weird that 343 doesn't want modded gametype lists. Not at all

But they should make some of those mod tweaks official

Isn't there some sort of unwritten rule for Microsoft that they don't want to support modded things? Supporting the mods by giving them a playlist and looking the other way when a set of mods get released are two totally different things.

Also, 343 wants to support their own set of gametypes. I'm surprised they even put Throwdown in honestly, especially with the low numbers it gets when compared to their Infinity playlists. Then again, I attribute that to those playlists being listed #1 and #2 on the list. If Throwdown was 1st, I think it would be pulling in a lot more. A lot of players just want to get into a game so quick so they just click click click as fast as they can to get into a match.

copying the text directly

So what I got out of this is you want every little detail explained in a single picture?

I took the picture for what it was: A way to get people interested in checking out Halo 2: Combat Evolved. They made the best with what they had, things like adding sliders and whatnot would be great for future Halo releases. Who's saying otherwise?

Also, the thing with No Auto-Aim.. That would obviously be a problem, but again I assumed people would be able to figure that out for themselves, just like some other problems you pointed out.

If this discussion continues I'll have to respond later tonight :[ Again, I'm not asking for a direct remake that disregards all the things we've learned since Halo 2: CE. Come on now lol, that would be asinine. That picture was just posted as an "example" of how to balance a Halo game, not by allowing Boltshots off spawn and changing shots to kill for a powerful weapon without also adjusting its auto aim traits.

Nebula

We could just hope 343 try to make a Halo that doesn't attempt to chase the CoD fanbase. Maybe next gen, devs will realize that people who want CoD gameplay are going to buy CoD and trying to copy it only serves in driving away your current fan base, which leaves you with a population crisis a few months into the damn game.

We could just hope 343 try to make a Halo that doesn't attempt to chase the CoD fanbase. Maybe next gen, devs will realize that people who want CoD gameplay are going to buy CoD and trying to copy it only serves in driving away your current fan base, which leaves you with a population crisis a few months into the damn game.

Halo 4 drew a huge profit, though. Unless nobody buys the XBO and by extension 5, I think our only real chance is Halo 6.

Halo 4 drew a huge profit, though. Unless nobody buys the XBO and by extension 5, I think our only real chance is Halo 6.

Halo 4 sold less than Halo 3 did. Not sure if it caught up to Reach yet but Halo 3 was the bigger seller. If anything they won't move systems if it isn't a real Halo game. I do find it hard to believe that they will actually go back and make a true Halo game that people want though.

Really it's more
"Halo 4” is now the best-selling Microsoft Studios title ever in the U.S. market*, surpassing its predecessor, “Halo 3” for sales during each respective launch year."

But yes, the game did really well financially and critically.
But they'd be lying to themselves to ignore those population numbers, so we'll see.

Again, I want to have faith, but it's hard to to right now.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I doubt 343 would make another game like this after seeing the population numbers. If Halo 5 is like this, it would probably be MS forcing them to.

I'm still find it weird that they just not came out and said Halo 5. Instead we got Halo One. What does that even mean.
Well considering they've said nothing since and the game is going to be out in 12-15 months.. who knows.
Tashi holds to a theory that we'll just get Halo 2 AE next year. I think that'd be some ..manipulative misdirection.
I doubt 343 would make another game like this after seeing the population numbers. If Halo 5 is like this, it would probably be MS forcing them to.
Time... time is the issue to me. How will they make a great game on new hardware in 2 years, that improves on the mistakes in 4 and still manages to innovate.

I'm still find it weird that they just not came out and said Halo 5. Instead we got Halo One. What does that even mean.

Probably don't have a clear vision on whether or not they want to try their hand at subtitles for mainline games yet.

I'm sure GAF's finest will whinge and moan to the ends of the earth if it ends up being Halo: Repair Your Janus instead of Halo 5/V, but it's honestly not a big peeve of mine. I mean, hello, Combat Evolved?

Fracas

#fuckonami
I randomly decided to re-read the IGN Halo 4 review. Holy shit at some of these quotes.
Amazingly, Halo 4 is [...] a bar-raising triumph for the entire first-person shooter genre.
Resplendent set-pieces are ubiquitous during your quest, matched by what is inarguably the finest Halo sandbox yet.
The Halo 4 campaign is paced better than any first-person shooter this side of Half-Life 2
The series has long been lauded for its brainy bad guys, and they’ve gained a whole host of IQ points for Master Chief’s return. As you’d expect, the full smarts of Halo 4’s brilliant enemy AI are most evident at higher difficulties.
Halo 4 is a masterstroke everyone can and should celebrate, and its two guaranteed sequels instantly make the next-generation Xbox a must-own system, with Halo 5 its most anticipated title. Halo has been rebuilt.

That last one had the exact opposite effect for me

I'm still finding it weird that they just not came out and said Halo 5. Instead we got Halo One. What does that even mean.

I am sure it's Halo 5 and they will confirmed that in the next trailer. I think with the trailer they just wanted to confirm that Halo is on xbox one.

Someone quickly writeup a counter article "Halo 4 is least played Halo" "Halo 4 produces lowest rankings on xbox live of any Halo in the series"

Sure Halo is gonna sell, Its Halo, each one will sell more cause each game more people have an Xbox. This may actually change in the future like for the first Xbox One release since many people may not have it yet. I mean the next Halo on the next Xbox may not sell as much as Halo 4.

However just because a game sells well doesnt mean it will forever, people are pissed off at ODST at Reach at H4. People are dropping out now, your blind fanboyism followers wont last forever I assure you. Especially when you repeatedly fuck them not good enough.

In other news I got a "Look what youve been missing on Xbox Live" email the other day. Opened it had a picture of a monitor with Master Chief on it, same picture I believe that they used in that article. I decided to reply "Nope"

Top Bottom