• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Fuchsdh

yeah but at least the xb1 can still function. the windows phone...i mean it DOES have a calculator so it's not all bad.

but yeah, you right. gg.

Bring back the mauler. As a map pickup only, of course.

If we're talking about on-map pickups, I prefer the Boltshot to the Mauler, actually, especially in a world without dual-wielding.*

*Speaking of which, I wonder if Halo lost part of its appeal by dropping dual wielding. It's something even now most games don't have, and while I personally have always preferred the inherently more balanced sandbox that comes with not having to worry about weapon combos, I know there are major fans of it out there.

How to rediscover innovation:
Scrap the Waypoints that are used in CTF in Halo 4.

Replace it with this:
480px-H3_ODST_HUD.jpg

That way there's the unique tool to locate the objective or item to find but doesn't defeat the purpose in hiding and timing to advance with 1 flag or oddball.

I would be 100% behind scrapping the waypoints as used in Halo, campaign and multiplayer, for a more ODST style compass direction to the general vicinity. Even if it was the same basic mechanic of "go here, push this switch", it makes it feel less spoon-fed and more rewarding, even when the objectives were brightly outlined in ODST (and then you could just play without it, I guess.)

Also, while it was occasionally overused I did appreciate Noble Team actually being able to call out directions and locations of new enemies, etc. I felt a bit more empowered and it helped that they oriented the campaign to follow those directions so that you didn't really need the waypoints.

What was 343's official statement on descoping for Halo 4?

"Not enough resources, time, and we dont care enough to change and fix our game THAT much were just gonna change the stuff thats easiest and most doable to create a facade that we are supporting this piece of shit"

~343i on descoping.

Let me clarify: This is not the actual words they used but with the words they DID use and the results we've received this is the TRUTH behind what they said.

Madness

What was 343's official statement on descoping for Halo 4?

Don't think they had one... Truth be told, much like the X on death, I don't think they could fathom the detriment to gameplay flinch has created.

Probably just a bulletin point on a board during perk conception. What if we had a perk that allows you to maintain your shot without being affected by enemy bullets? Ship it.

I don't like descoping a lot.
It's still useful.

But at the time playing Reach it really bothered me getting kicked out while scoping with the Dmr. Felt like it defeated the purpose to scope and fucked up my shots and timing them. With snipers it was fine getting descoped when shot. IMO.

Descoping on Hemorrhage was perfect. You could time your re-scoping to out DMR your enemy(s) at distance. I felt it far more competitive and predictable in player usability than flinch.

FyreWulff

I think they said it wasn't possible, but a lot of modders said so, too. Maybe they just don't know what Megalo can do? Or maybe it can't be implemented without bugs or something.

It's probably something hacky like attaçhing the player to a vehicle for a split second. The gun still flinches.

I don't like descoping a lot.
It's still useful.

But at the time playing Reach it really bothered me getting kicked out while scoping with the Dmr. Felt like it defeated the purpose to scope and fucked up my shots and timing them. With snipers it was fine getting descoped when shot. IMO.

You sound bad as hell at Halo.

No offense.

CyReN

Talking with synth92 now.

• Apparently, the descope mod doesn't work well with Forerunner weapons at the moment.
  • Weaponless Flag holding is achieved by giving the player an Oddball and then deleting it immediately after.
  • Flag juggling "doesn't seem impossible" to include with the mods.
  • It is 100% confirmed that we can get modded No Sprint + Descope gametypes.

I mean Im happy for the competitive dudes they may get their correct settings and all that.

To me its just too little too late, I mighta been interested a couple months ago.

Right now I could give a shit about Halo 4

Madness

Frankie, Ellis, the fact that there are modders out there putting in things like flag juggling and descoping should tell you everything you need to know about this community. The ones who slurped have long moved on, the ones who care are still plugging away.

You sound bad as hell at Halo.

No offense.
I'm not actually. That's how I felt at first when playing Reach within a few weeks I played it online awhile after it came out. Didn't bother me after getting used to the mechanic later on. Just out Dmr the other guy by timing your shots and don't spam.

Hire Juices As Space Janitor. Save Halo one mop & scrub at a time.

It's probably something hacky like attaçhing the player to a vehicle for a split second. The gun still flinches.
He explained it at Se7enSins, how it works:

Increases weapon swap time to 2500% (super fast)
Switches weapon to an invisible weapon used in Extraction (which unscopes)
Switches back to weapon
Resets weapon swap time

He also said it was possible to remove flinch, so there's that.

I bet the bug with the Promethean weapons has to due with the animation of the weapon parts coming together when you swap it.

belushy

Banned
Just saw the descoping stuff. Nice to see they are working hard on making Halo 4 enjoyable. Seems like they spend more time modding the game to be more enjoyable than actually playing it themselves. Props for that. Can't wait to see what else they can do with this Megalo knowledge.

Madness

I have to know something, if they can mod to remove flinch or add descoping, how hard would it have been for 343 devs to do the same? Meaning not mod, but use their official stuff to do it?

I have to know something, if they can mod to remove flinch or add descoping, how hard would it have been for 343 devs to do the same? Meaning not mod, but use their official stuff to do it?
I am assuming here, but an educated guess would say it's definitely possible, probably not too challenging.

However the problem with having such a big studio is it isn't very flexible.
They probably don't have developers on the dedicated support team who could make the changes, so they'd have to locate and reassign them, which would mess up the production schedules of whatever project they are working on now (halo 2 anniv, obviously).
Then they would have to test it internally, which requires more staff to be reassigned.
Then it has to pass certification (which previously had a hefty cost) and if it fails there, they have more headaches to deal with.

Of course, descope is a feature that should have been an option in the base game, or even added as a possibility in the balance update, but it wasn't and those are the realities of what it would cost now to add it.

This modder came up with a clever way of using other player systems in the game to simulate descope functionality, but it wasn't like flipping a switch.
And because it goes about descoping in so many steps, and so indirectly, it very well could result in many bugs that would make it unusable in competitive levels of play.

monome

Coming January 2014. Still hoping they tighten up the cover art, but whatever.

http://www.tor.com/stories/2013/07/halo-mortal-dictata-excerpt

It will be interesting to spend more time on Venezia, there doesn't seem to be much to set up regarding the continuing series or Halo 5, and it sounds like the Arby's story is getting told in a new comic series.

wow. the name actually rocks. and I like the "dysotopian" cover.

and going the "man vs man" way might be the only viable option for the story not to look outdated (Halo 4 events are set after the Traviss trilogy...).

I like Traviss, but her Halo books were boring.

343i REALLY needs to find an angle if they want to keep expanding (even exploring :-( ...) the universe.

Cryptum ignited my Halo love like a pair of sexy panties thrown to my face.
Story and games-wise, it's been downhill ever since.

Top Bottom