• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Madness

Doesn't look like it affects the game much...

I'm guessing it's the principal of the thing. Microstransactions in a Halo game. Already we've gotten a form of paid unlocks with people who can buy junk food or photograph the hell out of chip bags, get a leg up on regular players. Could lead to more in the future.

G17

Kind of ridiculous that in game credits will be offered to be purchased after I've already spent $6.99 on a mobile game. I know a lot of other mobile games are doing it now, but I expected better. Like wwm0nkey said, it'd be more acceptable if it was free.

I was planning on getting it but this puts me off.

You used "good looking" as an adjective to describe McFarlane Toys. That's your problem. Their paint job is always terrible, the figure sculpt rarely looks good.

Ouch. :lol

And honestly, they were never as bad as that new Jackal. I mean, the Halo 3 one looks great:

h3ZgEvD.jpg

Panel will certainly be interesting.

Yay!

But I'll be at work. =(

FyreWulff

All of MS's recent first party titles has had an abundance of cosmetic DLC and microtransactions I've noticed.

Halo 4's DLC is almost a carbon copy of Gears 3's.

Convoluted list of retailer-paired preorder DLC.
Gun skins to be unlocked or bought (Halo 4 does it more indirectly, via you having to buy other things)
Pre-release map pass
The first map pack accidentally given away for free due to issues

Ghazi

Halo 4's DLC is almost a carbon copy of Gears 3's.

Convoluted list of retailer-paired preorder DLC.
Gun skins to be unlocked or bought (Halo 4 does it more indirectly, via you having to buy other things)
Pre-release map pass

Yep, I typed out a bunch of examples that I neglected to click the confirm edit button before I went to bed apparently. I talked about those two.

I also learned that Forza Horizon has microtransactions in the form of "tickets"

Madness

You mean to tell me that the 14 Day Buy and Play promotion that I had never heard about, that no other site, and no search engine including Google and bing had any results for, until the MS representative wrote to Kotaku with a PR blurb, one that BS Angel repeated verbatim in the bulletin was a lie?

Omni

micro transactions

Don't see the point of that shit when I am already paying $7 for the game. If it was free? Fine.
Better get used to it now. I fully expect Halo 5 to be worse. Gotta compensate for those bloating AAA budgets somehow.

You mean to tell me that the 14 Day Buy and Play promotion that I had never heard about, that no other site, and no search engine including Google and bing had any results for, until the MS representative wrote to Kotaku with a PR blurb, one that BS Angel repeated verbatim in the bulletin was a lie?

Ha I'd forgotten about that.

-------------

What time is this panel tomorrow? Curious to see what CA has been working on? Expectations set at negative work being done!

Tunavi

Banned
Ha I'd forgotten about that.

-------------

What time is this panel tomorrow? Curious to see what CA has been working on? Expectations set at negative work being done!
"We heard you guys were unhappy with halo 4 multiplayer, stating it wasn't as good as previous installments.

Today we are happy to announce the reinstatement of Armor lock into the halo franchise."

TheOddOne

I'm trying to figure out the purpose of this post. What's the context? Frank is using a mobile phone? Does it mean Mobile Phone confirmed in Halo Xbox One? Or is it something unusual for dutch people to have a breakfast in the morning?
Frankie is cool, but I wanted everybody to focus on the flowers. Oh man, they are so awesome.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
Lol, now I've heard it all.

You think Halo 4 requires more accuracy than Halo 3? Really?

I think in Halo 4 its easier to tell when shots are not registering as its more clear what should and should not register with a hitscan system, there are definitely instances of shots not registering quite a lot though.

In Halo 3 unless you know how to lead properly you could quite easily make the mistake of assuming bullets are not registering due to netcode rather than your shot placement.

Sniping is also significantly more skillful in Halo 3, they've added such a ridiculous amount of auto aim to sniping in Halo 4 that its just not even fun to snipe anymore.

Striker

It comes down to hoping all your shots you fired were registering (netcode was one issue, but the game also had bad hit detection, see the Sniper and its bloodshots galore). Let's get away from hoping our shots hit because of a spread or, in the DMR's case, bloom was set.

If anything it's ten times worse. I hop over maybe once a week to play some custom games and going from Halo 4 to Halo 3 sucks so bad. The netcode is pure shit. It ruins all the fun for me. But, if you can look past that, the maps and gametypes are still top notch. AR starts are still terrible. Vehicle gameplay is still good though.
dat VIP on Snowbound

But honestly, outside CTF/Heretic, CTF/Pit and 1-flag/High Ground, there isn't a lot for me. They killed objectives for me as much as 343 did in Halo 4. There's VIP which is straight awful, large dose of Territories which is okay but nothing great, Assault that got its balls chopped off, and CTF that has no difference in return time between large and small maps.

When it becomes free I'll play it again for the first time since Reach came out. I played Reach the other day but with the playlist management destroying it last August (or whenever it was), there's little to play in there too.

Gui_PT

Microtransactions?

I'm sure they're using this as a way to test the implementation in future Halo games. So if it works, we'll be seeing this in Halo 5.

=\

You think Halo 4 requires more accuracy than Halo 3? Really?

I think in Halo 4 its easier to tell when shots are not registering as its more clear what should and should not register with a hitscan system, there are definitely instances of shots not registering quite a lot though.

In Halo 3 unless you know how to lead properly you could quite easily make the mistake of assuming bullets are not registering due to netcode rather than your shot placement.

Sniping is also significantly more skillful in Halo 3, they've added such a ridiculous amount of auto aim to sniping in Halo 4 that its just not even fun to snipe anymore.

Yeah, if you plan a LAN or multiplayer game with friends who live nearby you really can see a HUGE difference between Halo 3 and Reach and 4, and its not just down to connection.

Halo 4 especially is like easy mode compared to 3.

Gui_PT

Yeah, if you plan a LAN or multiplayer game with friends who live nearby you really can see a HUGE difference between Halo 3 and Reach and 4, and its not just down to connection.

Halo 4 especially is like easy mode compared to 3.

And this is why we have BK's saying Halo 3 is not a good Halo game.

wwm0nkey

Halo 3 isn't as easy as other haloez so some people that were bad at it say it was a bad Halo game.

Well bad netcode + leading shots probably pissed off a lot of people. I remember my biggest issue with this in Halo 3 was their shield showed when I shot them but my BR bullets appeared to do no damage.

Still like Halo 3 though.

Gui_PT

Well bad netcode + leading shots probably pissed off a lot of people. I remember my biggest issue with this in Halo 3 was their shield showed when I shot them but my BR bullets appeared to do no damage.

I had that a lot especially before getting faster interwebz. Understandably annoying.

TheOddOne

You have ignited a mini-rage in me. Thanks, Bungie.

Rev3rb

"We heard you guys were unhappy with halo 4 multiplayer, stating it wasn't as good as previous installments.

Today we are happy to announce the reinstatement of Armor lock into the halo franchise."

"We also remade lockout again, because, fuck it"

Mix

Looking forward to the panel. I ran into franke again but didn't talk, he's a busy dude an hour before hand.

Waited in line to get my hands on a ps4 controller to play AC4 multiplayer, but no dice, ended up being ps3 controllers because "the others were dev kit controllers and we didn't want to bring them". Fuckers

Looking forward to the panel. I ran into franke again but didn't talk, he's a busy dude an hour before hand.

Waited in line to get my hands on a ps4 controller to play AC4 multiplayer, but no dice, ended up being ps3 controllers because "the others were dev kit controllers and we didn't want to bring them". Fuckers

Is this panel streaming, what room is it? How many hours

I wonder if Certain Affinity is announcing their Palmer spinoff today.

Certain Affinity and Kojima Productions have teamed up to create HALO: The Sarah Palmer Chronicles. Following their return to Earth, Palmer is sent to investigate a mysterious broadcast that traps her alone in a shield world named Newton, where she faces her biggest threat yet - eggheaded Promethean sentries that run on pure science. Gameplay is Shadow of the Colossus: Revengeance - scale your foes to press button-shaped weak points on their nerdy hides.

This Winter: Communications are scrambled. Battles are over easy. War is never sunny-side up.

Omni

I wonder if Certain Affinity is announcing their Palmer spinoff today.

One Palmer spin off is enough, ty.

Holy crap. I've been going through all mah finances (been a bit tight lately), and noticed that I can shave ~$250 a month if I cancel additional (non-essential) features on my mobile phone plan, Internet, pay-tv and if I also cancel my gym membership (prefer to run outside these days anyhow). Can't believe it all bloated up like that...

Might chuck on another game to my X1 preorder because of the extra cash. Watch Dogs looks pretty good... (side note to my side note - the PS4s are pretty much sold out and not guaranteed for launch here. X1s still in supply. Rather interesting).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think they are announcing me being hired at the panel. Yup that's my guess.

that's at comiccon

also don't mock me for getting details confused this afternoon - I had to take over someone else talking points at the last minute. So I couldn't rehearse and it is a ton of info.

Top Bottom