• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Obscured

Assassins Creed 2 is going to be free on the 17th, not Halo 3.

I think it is great that they are giving away these games, but like a lot of things lately the information being given is not a good way of going about it. They aren't increasing hype by saying they are giving away these games and then making it unclear when they are going to be available. They are doing something cool, but just make it clear. Hype would exist just as much if they gave a schedule of every game and when it was going to be available.

It would be cool if they did update the halo 3 playlists when it becomes available. I hope the lag is better than the last time I jumped on, but I'm not feeling optimistic.

PNut

Banned
I hope the lag is better than the last time I jumped on, but I'm not feeling optimistic.

If anything it's ten times worse. I hop over maybe once a week to play some custom games and going from Halo 4 to Halo 3 sucks so bad. The netcode is pure shit. It ruins all the fun for me. But, if you can look past that, the maps and gametypes are still top notch. AR starts are still terrible. Vehicle gameplay is still good though.

Just a heads up to 343: remember that bulletin where it said all the new power weapon placements/forge modifications to maps were standardised across the game? Somebody forgot to flip the switch in the multi-team playlist. Still the old Haven with no lifts at the sides and a random sticky det on blue hallway. Still no sniper spawns at the man cannon's on Adrift (and no OS in the centre).

Mix

I got to the airport to pick up a couple of guys from HBO and I ran into BSAngel and Frankie. What a lovable fellow!

Ghazi

I ran into BSangel and Frankie once, it was great. They were the ones smuggling me out of the country in '03 in one of my dreams.

Seeing Frankie in a shemagh was literally the sexiest thing I've seen in my whole life.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
No its a game, and its important also, like money and stuff. In fact it is stuff. My stuff. Halo 4 dissapointed me yes, but I feel if I/we bitch enough we can change things.

That's actually been done before! So here I am. Plus its a good waste of time at work when there's nothing else to do.

With the Xbone Microsoft only really responded to the poor pre-order statistics and then obviously there was no difficulty in understanding what caused them. If projected sales looked good I think they would have dismissed the complaints as that of a vocal minority.

The best way to bring about change in my opinion is simply not to play the game at all and definitely do not buy any map packs or other DLC and then play Halo 3 instead or other games.

I think a further difficulty with the Halo situation is that a lot of people are not experienced enough with Halo to pinpoint the subtleties that negatively affect gameplay. They just stop playing the game because they realise that they are not actually having fun playing the game, not necessarily why.

If the Halo 3 population could overtake the Halo 4 population that would send a very strong message to 343 what Halo customers want in terms of multiplayer.

The general trend of console FPS games is also a disadvantage to those that want a true Halo game as most games now use the base movmement mechanics of COD, that being slow and clunky default movement with ineffective strafing and much easier aiming when aiming down sights. Also sprinting with gun lowered which results in slow base movement and strafing and restricts gameplay massively. Even Bungie's new game Destiny pretty much has these mechanics. These movement mechanics are literally the antithesis of Halo. You can't have a true Halo game or arena shooter with these mechanics.

So the Global Tournament should be successful, I've seen a lot of chatter and hype to participate in the online challenges & attending Rtx FFA Tourney.

Perhaps holding a Seasonal Online National or Global Tournament with smaller prizes can keep or gain more Traffic to Halo 4 population? Give players a chance to test their skills and are rewarded with said prizes.

You're welcome 343i:
NobleGundam said:
So the decline in population for Halo 4 is still an issue.

343 won't cater a classics playlist until however long (halo 2 anniversary) they please.

Maybe they can regain more traffic if they would hold a national or international online tournament? Sorta like "Bungie Day" BUNGiE VS. The World. Using the newest TU settings in a 4v4 (or 5v5 Squad Slayer) game playing on Legendary Slayer, Team Throwdown, etc. gametypes under 1 playlist.
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=57345880

Nowise10

If anything it's ten times worse. I hop over maybe once a week to play some custom games and going from Halo 4 to Halo 3 sucks so bad. The netcode is pure shit. It ruins all the fun for me. But, if you can look past that, the maps and gametypes are still top notch. AR starts are still terrible. Vehicle gameplay is still good though.

I've been playing Halo 3 lately and it usually 1 out of each 5 matches happens to be laggy, so I don't really think its as bad as you're making it out?

This downgrade still bugs me. What ever happened to good looking McFarlane toys?

k3yGPLg.png

I mean, not only was the loss in mold detail huge, the colors aren't even game accurate.

m23

Todd McFarlane will be at Fan Expo this year in Toronto, I'm gonna try and meet him, get a Spawn poster autographed or something.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
I've been playing Halo 3 lately and it usually 1 out of each 5 matches happens to be laggy, so I don't really think its as bad as you're making it out?

I would agree with this. I think people may be confusing lag with the increased accuracy required in halo 3 as well as the judgement required for shot leading.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Just a heads up to 343: remember that bulletin where it said all the new power weapon placements/forge modifications to maps were standardised across the game? Somebody forgot to flip the switch in the multi-team playlist. Still the old Haven with no lifts at the sides and a random sticky det on blue hallway. Still no sniper spawns at the man cannon's on Adrift (and no OS in the centre).

Thanks, I'll forward this over to Top Men(TM).

Oh hey, remember the Halo panel is tomorrow at 1PM central
I wonder what they are going to talk about...
Maybe we'll finally learn about Legendary Slayer haha

Anyone know if it is going to be streamed like last years was?

Get an exclusive first look at 343’s next Halo announcement! Join 343’s Franchise Director Frank O’Connor, Senior Producer Graeme Jennings, Community Producer Andy “BRAVO” Dudynsky, along with Designers from Austin’s own Certain Affinity Studios and special guest Zach Zeldin from Virgin Gaming to discuss an action packed Halo summer. Come for the lovely Jessica “BS ANGEL” Shea (panel moderator) and stay for all the latest and greatest Halo updates.

CyReN

Oh hey, remember the Halo panel is tomorrow at 1PM central
I wonder what they are going to talk about...
Maybe we'll finally learn about Legendary Slayer haha

Anyone know if it is going to be streamed like last years was?

It's streaming, along with FFA stuff on Sunday.

What’s Next: Halo 4 Summer 2013 Panel

On Saturday from 1 to 2 PM CDT in the Main Ballroom, we’ll be hosting a panel called “What's Next: Halo 4 Summer 2013.” The panel will feature Frank O’Connor, Jessica “bs angel” Shea, Steve Young from Certain Affinity, yours truly and some special guests as we discuss what we’ve been up to and what we’ve got planned for Halo 4 this summer. We hope to see you there! If you hate huge lines or won’t be at RTX, the panel and discussion will be streaming live on our official Twitch.tv channel.

HTupolev

Depends on what you're playing. On most hosts, Halo 3's networking is prone to falling apart horribly somewhere between 4v4 and 8v8. Even with good matching, big team was always clunky. 4v4 often works great.

Though, even when it's mostly working well, Halo 3 can have some substantial problems with visual feedback.

I find a lot of people grossly exaggerate how bad the lag is in Halo 3. When it's bad it's worse than reach or Halo 4 for sure but a lot of it is just getting acclimatised to a projectile based BR with shot leading. We were playing customs a few months back with a trans-Atlantic mix and I don't recall a single unplayable game, with most being smooth. BTB falls apart quicker obviously.

Thanks, I'll forward this over to Top Men(TM).

Sweet, thanks dude.

This downgrade still bugs me. What ever happened to good looking McFarlane toys?

k3yGPLg.png

I mean, not only was the loss in mold detail huge, the colors aren't even game accurate.
You used "good looking" as an adjective to describe McFarlane Toys. That's your problem. Their paint job is always terrible, the figure sculpt rarely looks good.

I'm trying to figure out the purpose of this post. What's the context? Frank is using a mobile phone? Does it mean Mobile Phone confirmed in Halo Xbox One? Or is it something unusual for dutch people to have a breakfast in the morning?

I'm trying to figure out the purpose of this post. What's the context? Frank is using a mobile phone? Does it mean Mobile Phone confirmed in Halo Xbox One? Or is it something unusual for dutch people to have a breakfast in the morning?
It's Frankie at the outdoor cafe of the W in Austin. I'm surprised he's not drenched in sweat as is custom for this time of year in these parts.

Fuchsdh

Depends on what you're playing. On most hosts, Halo 3's networking is prone to falling apart horribly somewhere between 4v4 and 8v8. Even with good matching, big team was always clunky. 4v4 often works great.

Though, even when it's mostly working well, Halo 3 can have some substantial problems with visual feedback.

Feedback is an area the series has gotten progressively better at from 3 to Reach to 4 (CEA introduced some issues with shields and invisible Elites in the remastered version.)

FyreWulff

How is he to meet? Stan Lee was at Fan Expo last year but was an ass. He wouldn't even look up to people as he would sign stuff for them.

Cordial but I didn't try to bother him. He was shaking everyone's hands and talking to them at the MS booth, next time I saw him was walking out of the Destiny booth.

I took a pic of Marty with my co-worker/friend (who's the music guy of our little outfit) and he spent the time to talk with anyone that wanted to talk with him as well. They were music nerd'ing out hardcore.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Halo 4 is fun when I don't get Infinity Slayer in the Infinity Slayer playlist. So, like, it's fun 30% of the time.

I hope Legendary Slayer is good.

HTupolev

Feedback is an area the series has gotten progressively better at from 3 to Reach to 4
I'd agree on the 3 to Reach part. 4 is pretty similar to Reach with respect to feedback, and in some ways it's not as good; Halo 4 has stuff like the boltshot charging behaviour from first-person which is hugely inferior to any of the weapon-use response in Reach. I guess you could argue that Reach's heavy bloom makes things "feel" less responsive depending on how you play, but if it's taken in and of itself, I think Reach's visual feedback design is the best of the 360 Halos.

(CEA introduced some issues with shields and invisible Elites in the remastered version.)
CEA is far inferior to CE in terms of feedback and responsiveness. The audio design is just plain muddy and overwrought compared with the original, and lots of Bungie's brilliant visual cues are wrecked. Elite shields and camo are some of the larger issues, but you also have things like the much smaller pistol impact response sprite (which Halo 3 could learn from as well, as having a feel for weapon characteristics is crucial for games with projectile weapons). And then there's the raw input lag, which at least feels to me to be increased in Anniversary Mode compared with Classic Mode and the original game (though I admittedly haven't seen this actually measured anywhere, and it might just be a false perception due to other factors).

Heck, even Classic Mode has some feedback issues compared with the original game, like smearing your eyes with green goo whenever you get hit by needlers and sentinal beams.

How is he to meet? Stan Lee was at Fan Expo last year but was an ass. He wouldn't even look up to people as he would sign stuff for them.
I met McFarlane back in the early 90's (got my ASM #300 signed), and he was a TOTAL douchebag. It was at the top of his popularity, but he was rude to almost everyone who waited in line, acted like a total sleaze to the few girls that were there, and flat out refused to sign some really early art of his that a friend of mine had (it was the only book he had for Todd to sign). I sold my signed ASM the next day and gave away all my other McFarlane comics; fuck that guy in his smarmy Canadian ass.

Stan Lee is a very old man now. I'm impressed he still goes to cons at all.

edit: [Halo]I'm ready for some Legendary Slayer news[/Halo]

Gui_PT

I met McFarlane back in the early 90's (got my ASM #300 signed), and he was a TOTAL douchebag. It was at the top of his popularity, but he was rude to almost everyone who waited in line, acted like a total sleaze to the few girls that were there, and flat out refused to sign some really early art of his that a friend of mine had (it was the only book he had for Todd to sign). I sold my signed ASM the next day and gave away all my other McFarlane comics; fuck that guy in his smarmy Canadian ass.

What a weird fanfic.

It's been way too long but I just stuck reach in to my 360 again, might rock some halo 3 too if I feel like it.

Getting kind of sick with 80% of my deaths in halo 4 being 1 hit kills.

m23

Stan Lee is a very old man now. I'm impressed he still goes to cons at all.

edit: [Halo]I'm ready for some Legendary Slayer news[/Halo]

Oh wow, that doesn't sound good. I guess your right about Stan Lee though.

Top Bottom