• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nowise10

Also, look at this genius idea in Spartan Assault

I2YN5tz.png

Do I blame 343, or Microsoft for this idea?

Madness

Deej is answering questions in a thread on B.net. I found this part interesting...

Specifically that last part. Am I reading to much into this, or is that a hint at cross-platform play? You do sign into the game with your Bungie account, after all, and that can be linked to Xbox Live and/or PSN...

Reading too much into it. They've purposely avoided any mention of what EXACTLY will be exclusive content etc. They realize that Activision has a deal with Sony, but that their most hardcore and loyal fans have been Xbox users through the Halo years. Probably doesn't want to pick sides or create a console war type thing.

Duji

Two things:

1) The Grenade Launcher wasn't removed because it was objectively underused. It was removed because it didn't make Halo more accessible and it didn't help new players find success and was thus supplanted by the comparatively nuance-less Sticky Detonator.

2) By what metric was it underused? Kills? Its capacity to EMP vehicles formed a central part of its function; in that sense it is largely a support weapon, one which lays the ground work for other weapons (commonly a Plasma Grenade) to reap the glory of the all important Waypoint kill stat. By this rationale should the Plasma Pistol be retired because it doesn't chart highly in the fragging scoreboard? Or should we make that a weapon we can spawn with(!)? How about the needler? The frickin Concussion Rifle made it through, a weapon which from my own empirical experience didn't proportionally account for many kills amongst the playerbase, if for no other reason than its low ammo count. Yet it is drearily straightforward to grasp its firing nature - shoot bomb in straight line, blow up bad guy - and so is present in Halo 4 (hilariously featuring in the final kill to decide a two hundred odd grand competition).

And as others have noted, it hardly featured on Reach's map set. When it did appear, it was often placed in obscure or especially dangerous locations which skewed the risk/reward balance for the weapon. I've heard the callout for its position on Powerhouse referred to as 'the rape shower' (enclosed box with only one entry combined with Reach's nuclear grenades and low jump height). Highlands was one of the first maps we got in the post-Bungie 343 age. They saw fit to gift players old favourites like the Rocket Launcher and Sniper Rifle at the opening spawn location in the base (lol at incentivising map movement). They placed a shotgun at each teleporter to accomodate brainless crouch loitering, reducing the distance to zero between the power weapon and its optimum position of use. The middle of the map was a wasteland, players who dared to tread there eviscerated by the savvy folks on its elevated periphery prescribing a quick death with the games 3x scope, hitscan DMR. Where did 343/CA place the Grenade Launcher? Dead centre of the bowl of death, hidden under a wreck. Objectively underused indeed.
Pretty much nailed it. The fragging scoreboard does give us some good factual data but it isn't the be-all and end-all of discussion. Facts often need context, and thankfully you just gave us some.

It is damn cold. My dog is one of those dogs that likes to take huge walks, so I am getting ready to head back out there for far too long.

I mean it looked alright but I can't comment on how it plays. Is that dinosaur licking you?

Yeah, I liked the way it played.. though TBH I don't believe I played on it too many times.

As for the Dino, I could only hope to be so lucky.

I do not like being called a liar. Please don't do it. I have never deliberately lied to anyone I wasn't trying to romance. I have certainly been WRONG, on countless occasions, in fact, I have disagreed with people, I have given explanations that people simply didn't like, I have communicated features and facts that have later changed. I have teased, obfuscated and trolled. But please do not call me a liar.

Happy New Year.

Must happen often while help trying to run a big game franchise and also did you get my pm?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Murder Miners is great. Right now I'm playing on crappy parkour map, and earlier I was playing on a crappy Rainbow Road map.

It's everything Halo should be.

Murder Miners is great. Right now I'm playing on crappy parkour map, and earlier I was playing on a crappy Rainbow Road map.

I can't stand to play it on random maps, I usually make my own lobbies and play on the halo map remakes. I usually get a good sized lobby going this way. It's such a fun game. It feels more like Halo than Reach/4 ever did.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMaKVDEBqoY

Should we laugh or cry? probably cry...
This has been posted before, but it's worth reposting over and over. It's so damn to the point. Them copying the Forge World reveal was genius because it brought up memories of how absurdly excited I was with that vidoc. Contrast that excitement with the Halo 4 Forge reveal and eventual launch implementation, and yeah, it makes 343 look like amateurs.

[insert obligatory "hope they figure that out for Halo 5" statement here]

DeadNames

Banned
I really hope the get rid of the "return to battlefield" crap. I loved glitching out of maps and exploring them. No more secret rooms... No more clipping out of campaign levels :( it's all just blocked off by invisible barriers.

Nowise10

I really hope the get rid of the "return to battlefield" crap. I loved glitching out of maps and exploring them. No more secret rooms... No more clipping out of campaign levels :( it's all just blocked off by invisible barriers.

You can get out of 100% of all campaign levels in Halo;Reach just fine with the killzones. Halo 4 you can get "out" of every level too. Halo 4 though, isn't like past Halo games and you usually just fall through the level and die.
Then if we look at Multiplayer maps, Halo 3 was different compared to Halo:Reach and Halo 4. In Halo 3, the maps were surrounded by instant kill barriers, not 10 seconds. However, in many Halo 3 maps, it wasn't just right at the nick on the invisible barriers, and you could sometimes go out quite a distance, most times you couldn't though. Then if you look at Halo 4 and its new level or whatever system, most maps outside the level are unsolid, and you fall right through them. Hell, some levels have unsolid ground and scenery already, where you can just walk right through the level.

I agree that they should honestly quit going to crazy with death barriers everywhere. Areas like on the flat land near the cliff on Standoff in Halo 3, or outside the gate on The Pit in Halo 3 were really fun. Their is no need to put 10 second barriers everywhere you go, it just takes out alot of exploration. Add invisible barriers, those are completely fine, they can be broken in Forge, but quit with the 10 second barriers. I get why they add them, but they just go overboard on them.
I also just believe Halo 3 has a magic to it, which made tricking so much fun on it, atleast I haven't been able to pin point it exactly.

wwm0nkey

Yeah the only way to enjoy it on a skill based level is playing in the league a few people made, thanks to no matchmaking support for XBLIG its always a mess of customs unless you group up with people and set the rules.

Thankfully the Steam version will have Matchmaking.

Deej is answering questions in a thread on B.net. I found this part interesting...

Specifically that last part. Am I reading to much into this, or is that a hint at cross-platform play? You do sign into the game with your Bungie account, after all, and that can be linked to Xbox Live and/or PSN...

Obviously DeeJ is confirming Destiny for Wii U.

Mistel

Banned
Was thinking if a Halo RTS & Spartan Assault hybrid would sound interesting but in reality putting them together seems pointless..

So halo wars with a Spartan assault style game play? It would be a weird thing to do maybe have them as like mini missions with the game?

Greande Launcher top ten for the bored and nostalgic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8eAbtGgkhA

Sort of makes me want to play Reach.

Those medals are beautiful. If they don't return to that style and instead maintain the white text/half second flash of their own sticker book designs I will consider it a desecration and confirmation that they all hate Halo. Every one of them.

Nebula

Those medals are beautiful. If they don't return to that style and instead maintain the white text/half second flash of their own sticker book designs I will consider it a desecration and confirmation that they all hate Halo. Every one of them.

Beautiful video. I really wanted to play Reach yesterday but I can't find my disc :(

wwm0nkey

People also think DmC was better than the classic Devil May Cry games too. While not bad it doesn't come close to out classing the original 4

TheOddOne

There are enough people that dislike the game and how 343 handled it. There will always be a small subset that will like it, but they are in the minority. Best not make them out to be the vocal minority.

Mistel

Banned

When you had all the power weapon spree's and medals for reach pre-recorded why get rid of them? All you needed to do is record some more instead of scrapping the whole lot.

As for that surpassing previous developement's thing look at this:
Halo 4, they improved everything.
I'm upset now :(.

I would love to see how many multiplayer matches the people in that thread played. Im willing to bet Halo 4 is getting a lot of love because it basically moved away from what made Halo fun and a bunch of people who disliked Halo in the past now finally enjoy Halo. I doubt they played many multiplayer matches though lol.

Mistel

Banned
Think I'll avoid that thread now. If I post any more I'll end up banned.

I like how halogaf just descend's on the thread, it's like they know halo 4 is going to get mentioned by the title. (i'm also avoiding it as well):
tumblr_m1q707MEs21qbxdpco1_500.gif

Lol at Juices posts in the thread.

TheOddOne

I would love to see how many multiplayer matches the people in that thread played. Im willing to bet Halo 4 is getting a lot of love because it basically moved away from what made Halo fun and a bunch of people who disliked Halo in the past now finally enjoy Halo. I doubt they played many multiplayer matches though lol.
jfyGC78N4xZcV.png

I like how halogaf just descend's on the thread, it's like they know halo 4 is going to get mentioned by the title.
To the contrary, I'd never dreamed of it being mentioned. That's sort of why it's a big deal.

ModBot shut it down. That thread was quickly heading toward a massacre of gamers with a passing interest in Halo by diehard Halo fans.

ElRenoRaven

You know. I have to say. After a long time of not having played Halo 4 I've played it again and while it clearly has some issues I find myself having a lot of fun with it. It really has grown on me. Sure I'd prefer no drops and to have everything on the map but I can deal with that. The gun play underneath all of the crap is damn satisfying still.

Campaign wise I liken it a bit to Halo 2. I can see what they've attempted and it has potential but it's still fun in spite it's flaws. I think with some Promethean changes like getting rid of the watchers and making them actually behave similar to elites you could have a fun enemy to fight. Also I honestly like Laskey and Thorn, and the AI of the Infinity. I also kind of find Palmer growing on me. Sure the dialog needs serious work but if you look at it as she's a by the book do what I'm told kind of soldier she's alright. I think they actually could eventually turn her into an interesting character if they can just make her evolve and learn from Chief that following orders is not always the right thing.

It's weird I know. I know most are going to disagree but you know. That's the beauty of it. People can. Either way I'm actually interested to see where 343 goes from here. I really need to get a group together to do Spartan Ops on Legendary one of these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom