• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the custom guys, that CTF match was intense as shit. Sorry Tashi and everyone in the lobby for the fuck up, I know you guys were exited to try it out, myself included but that kind of shit happens when the gametype is still in development.

Again, sorry. I'll get to fix it :(

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Thanks for the custom guys, that CTF match was intense as shit. Sorry Tashi and everyone in the lobby for the fuck up, I know you guys were exited to try it out, myself included but that kind of shit happens when the gametype is still in development.

Again, sorry. I'll get to fix it :(

All good, don't worry. When you're sure it's 100% just let me know.

GGs tonight. One of the more successful nights we've had in a bit. Definitely going to be doing it again next week.

Good post FUBAR. I wanted to comment on this:

And it always will. Something good for you to read would be "22 immutable laws of branding." It's a very important book that many people, if you go to the right places, will recommend to you. Had a friend over the internet point it out to me, and despite not being interested in branding, read it just to be nice....and it is one of the most interesting books I've ever read.

Basically, expanding a brand is rarely good. The book really goes into the whys and hows, but for right now, understand that that is simply the case. Mercedes Bens used to be very top of the line and popular, and yet now they're just another car company. Can't remember the name, but before FedEx and UPS there was another delivery company. The company tried to appeal to different audiences and eventually died when FedEx tightened themselves up and started selling only a few services, mostly overnight delivery, and far outpaced this other company. Apple, you notice, has very few products, and all their products are named very similar, and notice how wildly popular they are. MS killed Zune, Games For Windows Live, and others because they were all over the place. They weren't consolidated. Whether or not you agree they are succeeding, MS has now realized this about companies like Apple, and is trying to contract the brand. It's not "trying to be like Apple"; it's suddenly realizing a good business practice.

Anyway, the same thing can be applied to a game. When you try to take a single game and spread it out to try to cover multiple audiences, you loose both. What MS ought to do is simply do the best they can with Call of Duty, and continue to make Halo, Halo. It would also be stupid of MS to make a separate game to appeal to the CoD crowd. That would split the fanbase three ways (CoD, New Game, Halo). It's just a bad idea.

The best thing MS can do right now is to keep making mainline Halo games like Halo. If they want to have games that appeal more to the CoD crowd, then they should make some more side-like games, like you said, that go more in more "experimental crowd."

Just remember, I don't think a single person has ever made a "CoD Killer" so I'm not sure why MS and others keep trying. It doesn't work, for another reason explained in that book (has to do with brand association and other terms. Hard to explain in a short post, but very, very interesting.).

I'll have to give that book a look. It sounds very interesting.

And to clarify what I was saying, I do not want a Call of Halo game as the potential side game. I just think that 343 made all these new fans with Halo 4's non-classic-Halo elements and I think it would be foolish of them to simply alienate those new fans in favor of old classic fans that may or may not come back anyway.

Making more Halo games that provide more varied gameplay seems to be the best middle-ground, IMO. I don't think a "Halo in name only" game would be perfect, but expanding the brand with more side games could definitely be beneficial. Personally, as much as I love the books/comics/mini-series/whatever, I like Halo games first and foremost.

I would give up all of them to get more high-quality Halo games. Getting side games could be part of that. Telling the stories of the books while actually allowing consumers to play through events like the defense of Onyx/shield room rather than simply reading it would be fantastic.

Nebula

I made the mistake of trying to play BTB after. I JIP a game against a team of at least 6 and they win by a massive margin. They beat us again on Ragnarok (I forgot to back out.) I back out after that game and wait around 5 minutes then search again. I get put into a game with them again, with the game already wildly lopsided.

Supposedly 7k people in BTB and it manages to find me the same lobby. Thanks Halo 4.

I made the mistake of trying to play BTB after. I JIP a game against a team of at least 6 and they win by a massive margin. They beat us again on Ragnarok (I forgot to back out.) I back out after that game and wait around 5 minutes then search again. I get put into a game with them again, with the game already wildly lopsided.

Supposedly 7k people in BTB and it manages to find me the same lobby. Thanks Halo 4.

image.php

Chettlar

Banned
I'll have to give that book a look. It sounds very interesting.

And to clarify what I was saying, I do not want a Call of Halo game as the potential side game. I just think that 343 made all these new fans with Halo 4's non-classic-Halo elements and I think it would be foolish of them to simply alienate those new fans in favor of old classic fans that may or may not come back anyway.

Making more Halo games that provide more varied gameplay seems to be the best middle-ground, IMO. I don't think a "Halo in name only" game would be perfect, but expanding the brand with more side games could definitely be beneficial. Personally, as much as I love the books/comics/mini-series/whatever, I like Halo games first and foremost.

I actually wasn't exactly disagreeing with you, just sort of contributing. In other words, I think that relegating these crazy new things to side games could make more sense.

OH MY GOSH I realized this when I was typing. That actually makes sense! Like, it could work really well!

Have a separate ODST type game (or even line of games, sort of like Modern Warfare of Black Ops. You could have Halo: Spartan Ops, or whatever, but make it into a full fledged game series instead of an episodic thing) with Spartan IVs. Since Spartan IVs are newer, they have that extra technology like armor abilities and whatever.

Since older Spartans, you could say, such as Spartan IIs do not have all those armor abilities and special things, and since Master Chief is part of the main game, you could have the multiplayer of the main Halo series be comprised of Spartan IIs-IIIs. Therefore, have the multiplayer simpler like Halo 2-3.

Idk, just an idea I just had.

I would give up all of them to get more high-quality Halo games. Getting side games could be part of that. Telling the stories of the books while actually allowing consumers to play through events like the defense of Onyx/shield room rather than simply reading it would be fantastic.

I've heard some about Onyx. I'd like to see what that's about, but I don't have the time for books, really. :/ So I would totally go for a game like that.

Karl2177

For things that I didn't include I agree with or didn't have any questions about.
They need to make a sequel to ODST as a squad-based shooter. Use The Truth and Reconciliation (CE) and Nightfall (Reach) as inspiration. Special operations, behind enemy lines, recon missions, and so on.
The thing about this is that this type of game is kinda boring. It works for single missions in a larger game, because it's a different pace from the rest. The reason why "All Ghillied Up" worked was because people hadn't been exposed to gameplay like that throughout the rest of the game.

Bungie realized that and tried to make a different take on Halo with ODST.

The problem with ODST was that it was seen as some type of expansion(Why was the 3 there? Why not call it Halo: ODST? Silly). It was cheaper than other Halo games and had a tacked on multiplayer that linked it with Halo Reach. Not that I am complaining about that.

But the worst offense of ODST was that the story, in retrospect, served little purpose. You play through this campaign that presents itself maturely and mysteriously, that tries to have this smaller yet almost-as-important storyline as the mainline Halo games. You rescue a Huragok. The first one that the UNSC has ever had. Wow. Such amaze.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the point of ODST was so the team who was working on the canned PJ project still had something to work on and put out one of their two remaining Halo titles for Microsoft. The reason it had the 3 in the name was because it was based off of the Halo 3 engine and was intended to be a single player expansion for it. Then Bungie wanted to include Halo 3's multiplayer with it, but Microsoft disagreed at the $40 price point and it got bumped up to $60. So it wasn't really cheaper. As for the feeling that ODST's story was as important as the rest of the trilogy, I don't really get it as much because of the nighttime city. If every mission was Dutch's second mission, I would probably feel that way. But Mombasa Streets acts as a nice respite to the day gameplay.

But then Bungie went nowhere with that. They put out Ghosts of Onyx and 343 follows that with Glasslands and we found out that the UNSC practically has an infinite amount of Huragok at their disposal now. It erased whatever remained of the ODST legacy.
Ghosts of Onyx came out in 2006, which was before Bungie even split from Microsoft. The followup stories to ODST is all on 343i, not Bungie.

Spartan Ops was presented as a different take on Halo with the possibility of showing different types of military engagements when it came to the UNSC. Yet somehow it just turned into monotonous and mundane classic Halo that involved others. That discussion has been pounded into the dirt tons and tons of times so I am not going to rehash all of it, but I will say that Spartan Ops certainly had problems that could be fixed if 343 wanted. And the likely will.
For clarification reasons: Are you meaning gameplay or story elements with the bolded?

That's mean. Fubar makes a nice post and you're calling him an idiot.

AlStrong

But the worst offense of ODST was that the story, in retrospect, served little purpose. You play through this campaign that presents itself maturely and mysteriously, that tries to have this smaller yet almost-as-important storyline as the mainline Halo games. You rescue a Huragok. The first one that the UNSC has ever had. Wow. Such amaze.

But then Bungie went nowhere with that. They put out Ghosts of Onyx and 343 follows that with Glasslands and we found out that the UNSC practically has an infinite amount of Huragok at their disposal now. It erased whatever remained of the ODST legacy.

The UNSC would have had hundreds of Huragok after First Strike.

(Edit: Ascendant Justice's crew complement was 3000, with the majority being Huragok - 100 Elites and a light company of grunts.)

A Ridley Scott Halo piece would be interesting, to say the least. It makes sense, considering Prometheus is Halo 4 in just about every way imaginable, in both good and bad senses.

nillapuddin

But I don't get it. Is the Spielberg 'TV' series still happening?

Either way, I bet Kenneth Scott is involved with it given his new location.

too late at night for logical thinking
(moved back to FL)

Im just gunna rest my head knowing that somewhere out there, someone, is animating the arbiters cape flowing in the wind

Madness

After this they won't be lol

I don't necessarily agree. I mean Ridley Scott is producing it and the creator of Prison Break is writing it. It could be good. Forward Unto Dawn wasn't that bad. I think something like this would work much better than a television show.

zap

I enjoyed Forward Unto Dawn more than Halo 4, so I am tentatively looking forward to the next Halo to watch.

I actually wasn't exactly disagreeing with you, just sort of contributing. In other words, I think that relegating these crazy new things to side games could make more sense.

OH MY GOSH I realized this when I was typing. That actually makes sense! Like, it could work really well!

Have a separate ODST type game (or even line of games, sort of like Modern Warfare of Black Ops. You could have Halo: Spartan Ops, or whatever, but make it into a full fledged game series instead of an episodic thing) with Spartan IVs. Since Spartan IVs are newer, they have that extra technology like armor abilities and whatever.

Since older Spartans, you could say, such as Spartan IIs do not have all those armor abilities and special things, and since Master Chief is part of the main game, you could have the multiplayer of the main Halo series be comprised of Spartan IIs-IIIs. Therefore, have the multiplayer simpler like Halo 2-3.

Idk, just an idea I just had.

I've heard some about Onyx. I'd like to see what that's about, but I don't have the time for books, really. :/ So I would totally go for a game like that.

That is pretty much what I meant. Leaving main line Halo to have classic gameplay while allowing Halo: Side Series to have things not traditionally found in classic Halo. Like the armor abilities stuff.

Ghosts of Onyx is a great book. I highly recommend it. The follow up, Glasslands, while providing closure is not really all that great at providing a worthwhile ending to GOO. You should try to read Ghosts at some point and then follow it up with a wiki entry on Glasslands. The overall story - even with a shotty ending - is a fun ride.

And dat Will death mmmmmm

For things that I didn't include I agree with or didn't have any questions about.The thing about this is that this type of game is kinda boring. It works for single missions in a larger game, because it's a different pace from the rest. The reason why "All Ghillied Up" worked was because people hadn't been exposed to gameplay like that throughout the rest of the game.

Funny you bring that one up, because I just had to play through it's follow-up(One Shot, One Kill) a few minutes ago to complete most of the MW achievements.

Anyway, I agree with you. I brought up those two missions in particular because I remember lots and lots of speculation by Halo fans that Spartan Ops would be full of those types of scenarios. The name would suggest secretive-ish missions with high stakes. Instead, we got what we normally get in the Halo campaigns with a small almost insignificant twist.

I would love to have more than one sniping segment per game. Sure, Truth and Reconciliation gave you a sniper rifle and allowed you to ambush a small group once or twice, but a full-fledged mission of that could be fun.

Especially if they also had missions bringing back other things we haven't seen in a while. Like some type of space mission again. Or perhaps bring in that Forerunner tank that was supposed to be in Halo 2. A zero-gravity mission like in Halo 2 on Cairo Station.

Basically, what I meant to point toward were small segments of past Halo games that deserve second chances. Lots of these types of scenarios - the sniping, the space ship in Reach, maybe a boss fight like Tartarus again - seemed like experimental things that haven't really happened again. I would like to bring them back for a full fledged almost "greatest hits" type of side game that would allow even more experimentation and see what segments Halo fans really like so then they could put similar segments - or improved versions - into the mainline game.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the point of ODST was so the team who was working on the canned PJ project still had something to work on and put out one of their two remaining Halo titles for Microsoft. The reason it had the 3 in the name was because it was based off of the Halo 3 engine and was intended to be a single player expansion for it. Then Bungie wanted to include Halo 3's multiplayer with it, but Microsoft disagreed at the $40 price point and it got bumped up to $60. So it wasn't really cheaper. As for the feeling that ODST's story was as important as the rest of the trilogy, I don't really get it as much because of the nighttime city. If every mission was Dutch's second mission, I would probably feel that way. But Mombasa Streets acts as a nice respite to the day gameplay.

I was looking at ODST from mostly a story point of view in that post. The point of it was exploring a secretive squad of soldiers that hadn't really been explored to that point and then examining their rescue of a Huragok - which was supposed to be a pretty big deal.

But then, like I said, we find out in the books that it really wasn't a big deal at all. Strong pointed out that the UNSC got a bunch of Huragok from the Ascendant Justice (which I completely forgot. Thanks.), and then went on to get a bunch more from Onyx. Playing through the actual game was a blast, but in the story department it just felt like it lacked the punch that the mainline games have had. The books just took what remained of the accomplishment of rescuing a Huragok away. To me personally it made the objective of ODST seem lackluster, disappointing, and above all else needless. There just did not seem to be a point in retrospect.

Ghosts of Onyx came out in 2006, which was before Bungie even split from Microsoft. The followup stories to ODST is all on 343i, not Bungie.
Got the dates mixed up a bit. Good call. wtf 343.
For clarification reasons: Are you meaning gameplay or story elements with the bolded?
Gameplay wise, Spartan Ops was just Halo with more people. I think 343 could have had a great opportunity to use Spartan Ops as a little playground to experiment in but instead they went toward providing more of the same. Story wise they did well. They are giving us background on some important characters doing important things and leading into Halo 5 with how Halsey/the Librarian/Jul/Palmer/whoever are doing things. It worked.

But the gameplay left a bit to be desired. But that could entirely be on me for having expectations for more than what was offered. Or I suppose different expectations could be the right term.

Spartan Ops could do what I want a sideline game to do, probably more cheaply, but I think that there needs to be a bit of a mindset change at the company and there needs to be more budget and time put into it. The CG stuff was great. The actual gameplay was alright. But the layouts, the rehashing, and the lack of innovation drove a promising concept into the ground.

That's mean. Fubar makes a nice post and you're calling him an idiot.
Eh. Oh well.

The UNSC would have had hundreds of Huragok after First Strike.

(Edit: Ascendant Justice's crew complement was 3000, with the majority being Huragok - 100 Elites and a light company of grunts.)

Good call. I forgot about that.

343 bring Nylund back plz. You already did for the Preston Cole short. Just throw more money at him to do another full book.

Holy shit, AGDQ 2014 is at $924k with an hour and change remaining. Incredible.

EDIT: And this doesn't even include potential bonus stream donations.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Holy shit, AGDQ 2014 is at $924k with an hour and change remaining. Incredible.

EDIT: And this doesn't even include potential bonus stream donations.

That's incredible man. These Speedrunners should be really proud of themselves. What an awesome event it has been.

They officially crossed the million dollar mark right before the end of the Chrono Trigger run!

They were getting 60k/hour near the end. Just amazing.

heckfu

Banned
Such an awesome way for the gaming community to kind of break away form the whole dead beat, burn out crowd I think a lot of people view us as.

A million dollars donated to the Prevent Cancer Foundation is the most badass thing ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom