• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listened to the podcast, big props to Wahrer on being level headed and well spoken.
http://i.imgur.com/VY84oIX.png[/MG]

LOL, not mine.[/QUOTE]
Well now.
I didn't realise MS had a metacritic policy, that's all kinds of ironic & sad.
[quote="Homestuck Kid, post: 97097315"]Good review Juices, I agree with you 100%, the other articles are being too critical IMO[/QUOTE]
You got a One zoo?
[quote="randomrosso, post: 97098314"]Man, 343i have just run Halo into the ground

[spoiler]wonder why CEA was excluded? I mean if you're going to use a mobile game, why not the remake?[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
Good point, perhaps they forgot? Should certainly be included.

Gui_PT

iOg4fTM.png

Great MS said I have to send the Xbox One in and I would have to start my games from scratch, that cant be true can it? She said it backs up to the cloud but is tied to the console. That cant be right.

Mistel

Banned
Man, 343i have just run Halo into the ground

wonder why CEA was excluded? I mean if you're going to use a mobile game, why not the remake?
Anniversary had an average score of 82 so it's better than spartan assault and five point's less than halo 4 87, so it should be included.

Nice Gui :).

Carnotaur i'll finish what i'm doing then I can play co-op if you want to, i'll be about 45-50 minutes.

Nebula

DMR needs to fuck right off. It NEEDS 2x scope and massively reduced aim assist. So bored of open maps being made into pepperfests. It takes a giant dump on map design with 3x scope and the aim assist it has.

jelly

Do you think completing the game 100% sends 343 or any dev the wrong message if the game is bad, achievements that negatively affect the game design or ones you don't like?

Your basically validating their choices, bad ones especially.

ElRenoRaven

I'm on Reach lol.

Halo 3 is mexico.

Halo 2 is death.

I need LAN buddies/PC for CE.

Pretty much anything made in the last 8 to 10 years can run CE now. I really do wish they would have patched in proper controller support. You can use a controller but the lack of any deadzone settings makes that a pain in the ass to do.

DMR needs to fuck right off. It NEEDS 2x scope and massively reduced aim assist. So bored of open maps being made into pepperfests. It takes a giant dump on map design with 3x scope and the aim assist it has.

Sprint. AA's to escape fights and to gain better positioning. Crazy OP motion tracker. Maps with a lot of rocks and random cover. Map/battle awareness. Vehicles. Long killtimes. Perks that enhance several of these. The list goes on..

I never found the DMR to be as broken as everyone made it seem in BTB. Personally, I think it makes the gunplay better (compared to H3/Reach BTB) because I'm not randomly missing as many shots thanks to burst fire spread or excessive bloom. Granted, I too would like it better as a 2x weapon and no bloom with a 4sk (~MLG Reach DMR), but it's not such an issue as so many people have made it IMO.

Pretty much anything made in the last 8 to 10 years can run CE now. I really do wish they would have patched in proper controller support. You can use a controller but the lack of any deadzone settings makes that a pain in the ass to do.

I'd be playing that all the time if my controller didn't slide.

EDIT:
Yup. Hell I still pop onto it every so often to play. That's how damn fun it is still.I try to do the same with Halo 2 also but it's almost always dead sadly. That game got screwed right out of the gate sadly.

It really did.. Just sucks how my computer is a beast but I'm one of those unlucky ones that the game goes slow for. Apparently there's nothing I can do to fix it ;\

ElRenoRaven

Sprint. AA's to escape fights and to gain better positioning. Crazy OP motion tracker. Maps with a lot of rocks and random cover. Map/battle awareness. Vehicles. Long killtimes. Perks that enhance several of these. The list goes on..

I never found the DMR to be as broken as everyone made it seem in BTB. Personally, I think it makes the gunplay better (compared to H3/Reach BTB) because I'm not randomly missing as many shots thanks to burst fire spread or excessive bloom. Granted, I too would like it better as a 2x weapon and no bloom with a 4sk (~MLG Reach DMR), but it's not such an issue as so many people have made it IMO.

I'd be playing that all the time if my controller didn't slide.

Yup. Hell I still pop onto it every so often to play. That's how damn fun it is still.I try to do the same with Halo 2 also but it's almost always dead sadly. That game got screwed right out of the gate sadly.

Chettlar

Banned

What? I thought Halo 4 had much shorter kill times than most of the other Halos.

Good podcast Toshi, about the gametype.

Wahrer (I think it was him lol) was pretty spot on.

Each generator consists of three extraction cylinders, I decided to use this objects because.

-They can be color coded
-They are big enough to cover an entire spartan.
-They are avaliable on every map.

While there's an action in Megalo which manipulates an object health this option doesn't work since it's technically an "objective" object. Its health can't eigther be altered or I haven't discovered the exact value for it.

What I actually do is apply a set of hidden PlayerTraits, these player trait has modified values for damage modifier, damage resistance and melee multiplier.

For example, selecting Generator Resistance -> 1000 RP (RP being Resistance Points) will set the three options above to 8%.

I'm currently investigating why it didn't work properly... probnably has something to do with:

- Me using an old/sloppy variant with incorrect TU data.

-The ammont of ticks I'm triggering the ApplyPlayerTraits action.

-Forerunner crystals

Also, people who were in the lobby. Was it me or the generator's health was displaying at 0% instead of 100%?

Halo 4 Turbo does have some pretty high killtimes, but it's offset by fast shield recharge times (albeit slow wait times). Your health completely regenerates upon initiation of a shield recharge, meaning you don't have any weird Reach bleedthrough instances where a person with full shields and low health is killed by a sniper / DMR / whatever round with a damage value of X + 1, where X equals shield value.

There's also the fact that Sprint puts players at a movement speed higher than CE, and since you can't shoot at trans-CE speeds, the one time where gameplay is fast it doesn't actually affect gunplay in a positive manner.

EDIT: Gabo, the generator health displayed fine for me and responded in real time - I remember sniping it unshielded and taking off roughly 3% chunks per shot. Maybe it's a host-related issue?

What? I thought Halo 4 had much shorter kill times than most of the other Halos.
I'm sure he made a mistake.

I only said "long" kill times, not longer. Off the top of my head, I know the H4 BR has the same kill time as H2 and that's the fastest killing weapon in the game behind the Carbine, but not by much.

1.6 secs IIRC. That's too long IMO as I'd like it to have a potential kill time of under 1 sec (like the CE Pistol), balanced by its difficulty of use and better movement.

Halo 4 Turbo does have some pretty high killtimes, but it's offset by fast shield recharge times (albeit slow wait times). Your health completely regenerates upon initiation of a shield recharge, meaning you don't have any weird Reach bleedthrough instances where a person with full shields and low health is killed by a sniper / DMR / whatever round with a damage value of X + 1, where X equals shield value.

There's also the fact that Sprint puts players at a movement speed higher than CE, and since you can't shoot at trans-CE speeds, the one time where gameplay is fast it doesn't actually affect gunplay in a positive manner.

^ - Although, I disagree with the recharge rate offsetting the high kill times. Takes a long time to kill, the person runs away and hides, regains shield quicker. As for recharge delay, didn't CE have the longest time to fully recharge shields (delay+rate) with the fastest kill times anyway? Gonna have to check this out later if anything.

Tawpgun

^ - Although, I disagree with the recharge rate offsetting the high kill times. Takes a long time to kill, the person runs away and hides, regains shield quicker. As for recharge delay, didn't CE have the longest time to fully recharge shields (delay+rate) with the fastest kill times anyway? Gonna have to check this out later if anything.

I recall CE recharge times being mega long. Sure you can make the arguement that slow recharge rates punish bad decisions but slow recharge rates are super boring and not fun imo. In fact, fast recharge rates rewards being able to finish off kills on offense and good defensive positioning on defense.

Potential kill time should be fast, but highly skilled, and recharge rate should be high. Ot

Chettlar

Banned
I only said "long" kill times, not longer. Off the top of my head, I know the H4 BR has the same kill time as H2 and that's the fastest killing weapon in the game behind the Carbine, but not by much.

1.6 secs IIRC. That's too long IMO as I'd like it to have a potential kill time of under 1 sec (like the CE Pistol), balanced by its difficulty of use and better movement.

While I do agree Halo should focus on skill and that quicker kill times can help with that, I don't agree that just over 1 sec is always bad. I need to play more CE, but I thought the BR kill times in Halo 3 multi were satisfying. Having someone just chance to get the drop on you and thus get to kill you faster I think is a bad thing, since it should be about who handles their shooting and movement better. Super short kill times, if over done (if too short) can help to encourage that. I don't play call of duty for this very reason.

Also, I just got back from playing Tsavo Highway on Heroic with three gold skulls on (to get the 15,000 points cheevo), and I have to say, that's probably my favorite Halo 3 level. It probably allows for some of the more sandbox-y gameplay of all of them. Heroic is definitely the most fun difficulty level, imo.

Anyway, so I used the BR a lot in that level, and that thing has some insane range. I have brutes so far away, any farther and they wouldn't show up (cus draw distance), and yet I'm getting them in about 4-5 hits. I don't know if I really liked that, since it almost felt too easy (except I had the famine skull on so I stopped doing that because even one extra shot cost me).

Btw, as an aside to HGR17's endless "why not segregate the fanbase" discussion, I feel like us running in circles and the speaking-in-real-time nature of the discussion meant that it was kinda difficult to clarify my exact intent.

Speedy's original question was "why is player segregation seen as a bad thing?" as far as I can tell. I think part of the confusion was that while any number of base player differentials can be seen as "segregation," I prefer to associate the term with more negative instances, for example 343-era Reach MM or 4. A more neutral "playerbase split" would be a way to refer to the good / alright examples, for example Halo 3's Ranked / Social split and GTAV versus GTAO. My opinion was that, provided a game has an island of stability where:

1) it has a large playerbase
2) it has a consistently large playerbase with minimal dropoff and substantial franchise "immigration," aka new players that want to stay
3) it provides such a solid, but adaptable gameplay foundation that even the most extreme of changes to the metagame are both accessible and protean for all player types

It can very well be a good thing to split up players, segregate bases, even. I feel the original Halo trilogy's multiplayer (Halo PC included) were good examples of player base splits, while Reach and 4 seem more deliberately segregative. The problem is that with the gaming industry working the way it does, "segregation" implies just that - players will find it hard to get into new metagames with no room for middle ground. As a result, Speedy's view on player segregating probably seems like a shilly point-of-view to our immediacy, but I feel several games have tried and succeeded at positive segregation in the past. A lot of Valve's ventures into shooters are good examples, too, considering how many offshoots (official or otherwise) they've spawned while retaining substantial populations.

CE pistol does not kill in 1 sec lol, you need to hit them more than once so how is that possible.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yea we were all kind of speaking about different things at that point. I have no problem with players being split because they want to play what they want to play. Some people just prefer big time. Where the segregation comes(with the negative connotation) and where I have a problem with it is when there are different base settings on a playlist to playlist basis. And in Halo 4 in an intra-playlist basis. You could go into Team Slayer in Halo 4 and have a wildly different experience depending on which gametype is chosen. (Infinity, Team Slayer, Legendary BRs). With Reach, it was original settings vs TU. Ideally, the difference between playlists is just what the playlist offers(2v2 vs 8v8 vs CTF etc) and not the actual base mechanics of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom