• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
GENERAL:
Best podcast yet. Kudos to Tashi for opening up to more members of the community, I think it added solid content and additional viewpoints to the HaloGAF discussion. Well done to the guests, I personally found Zoo & Wahrer the most interesting to listen to. Tashi you've been guiding the podcast much better of late, just wanted to express that and the shorter format is appreciated resulting in more compelling listening.

I sort of knew Wahrer would be solid on the podcast, enjoyed your chatter the most and that audio intro mash up was too good mate.

One suggestion, Tashi to provide a quick dot point template post on HaloGAF so we can all comment/discuss the podcast agenda points back on HaloGAF forums. Similar to the below, just take your podcast note points and post them for a reply template. It makes sense to me and would help organise news or events or community highlights while promoting more individual viewpoints away from the peaks and troughs of meta discussion.

CONCEPT ART:
Anyone have the feeling this is a refit/repair type station on a resources style world? Or a hop along between friendly/enemy space zones? Judging by the background being fairly barren it seems more like a quick base or construction type thing. The neon signs sort of point to places to hangout while in port? Just some quick thoughts anyhow.

GHOST HIRE:
Solid hire, the dedication and community involvement he has negotiated in recent times wasn't easy and I think one of the few fairly universally liked contributors/fans out there. As he always has I'm sure he'll bring professionalism, competitive priority but with a hint of widening the appeal of the hardcore for more default players and population. On that point please lower your expectations of these types of staff hires pointing towards an all out classic arena return. I'm feeling like that will return as it should but to a specific or set of modes/playlists but we're not going to see a 100% return to that (not the whole game anyhow) . It's too far gone and time and time again this has been shown by the populations of 3, Reach & 4. Just like Infinity was shown as being to biased to itself, we should lean to the same mistakes of hardcore either. Balance and moderation is all I'm saying and Ghost gets that all too well IMO. Yes I too want classic Slayer & CTF & Assault back but I also want a full scale cloud enabled mode that is all out Halo in place of BTB that enjoys the benefits of JiP and a more fun approach.

DEVELOPER vs. FAN VISION:
Halo 2 was too closed off, Halo 3 was to slow in sustain, Reach/Forge leads to less visual interest but the clean lines of maps is a positive. Halo 4 launch was too much developer vision e.g. Infinity only at launch. Trying to return to all classic arena Halo is the polar opposite to this, too far fan vision. Fans are too diverse but should be listened to more than Halo 4 launch. The last year has been more of an ideal community discussion, involvement and has lead to faster sustain and probably the quickest playlist management/forge/releases into matchmaking. The below point about player base is flows on for this point as well for me.

Player toggles really helps drive this point home in terms of balance, give rise to player toggles and dynamic vote variants based off this matching. Bam a system that alleviates or reduces the issues while promoting team or player choice. Give party leader control for party toggles to make matching even easier and code for a hierachy type logic structure.

PLAYER BASE:
Ranked vs social was split but also promoted things like warming up before teams/players went into ranked play. It meant something to play ranked back then. CSR loses this appeal and meaning due to the more random match ups of guests and parties in the mix etc.

Total segregation is not ideal but segregating guests to social and enabling regular teams or promoting team work into ranked play is ideal. Rank means more, quitters are reduced, less new players in party match ups etc.

SPARTAN ASSAULT / COOP:
I've played two missions so far but the art and sound/music is very well executed. The gameplay feels linear but I guess I treat it as mobile pickup and play for a few minutes type game. I will play it through as I pickup and play a mission at a time. I would like to try coop as I think that would probably provide more fun from this little title.

I'm still holding hope that Destiny is going to enable cross platform play through the cloud and that's part of the delay and vision for their 10 year future. Halo next gen would do well to support something similar? e.g. tablet play to real time FPS or 360 to X1 cross play etc. After all it would be ground breaking and set a standard for Bungie once again while unifying the various platforms and player base to create huge populations and matching potential. *Crosses fingers and waits...

Best podcast yet.

H3PddIk.png

I sort of knew Wahrer would be solid on the podcast

BCox1vh.gif

Karl2177

GENERAL:
One suggestion, Tashi to provide a quick dot point template post on HaloGAF so we can all comment/discuss the podcast agenda points back on HaloGAF forums. Similar to the below, just take your podcast note points and post them for a reply template. It makes sense to me and would help organise news or events or community highlights while promoting more individual viewpoints away from the peaks and troughs of meta discussion.

He posted it before the podcast. But yeah, it's a good idea.

Podcast was surprisingly good, but I think that's because of the new format..

Omni

Giving the HaloGAF podcast a listen now...I reserve judgement :)

Also this just arrived in the mail...thought you might like to see it.

oZMcADh.jpg

QBBT2zV.jpg

Aside from my last page host bitching, great studio IMO.
That's actually so awesome. How come you got it? You're a mod on Waypoint or something, aren't you? (Or was that someone else? Haha)

Oh, everyone enjoying the podcast? I would just like to point out again, for next OT:

My vote for Halo 5 OT goes towards a collaboration thread between Speedy, Wahrer, zoojoo and Stormtrooper (to make sure it's handled properly and full of Jurassic Park gifs).
.and Ramirez.
Posted before the podcast and Tashi obviously took my all-star roster, sans Stormtrooper and
that guy-->
Ramirez..
Thank you.
emoticon-0139-bow.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Oh, everyone enjoying the podcast? I would just like to point out again, for next OT:

Posted before the podcast and Tashi obviously took my all-star roster, sans Stormtrooper and
that guy-->
Ramirez..
Thank you.
emoticon-0139-bow.gif

Impossible, I don't read your posts. Beside this one of course :p

Glad everyone is enjoying the new format and today's podcast.

Impossible, I don't read your posts. Beside this one of course :p

Glad everyone is enjoying the new format and today's podcast.

Don't worry. I'm used to people stealing my swag.

EDIT:
TL:DR Chettles thinks "realism" is synonymous with predictability, and was/is somehow oblivious to every other connotation.

EDIT: actually, DJ Ghazi's has inspired me to use this as a PM instead. Refer to the above, the TL:DR still stands.

But it was graceful and elegant, like your hair.

That's actually so awesome. How come you got it? You're a mod on Waypoint or something, aren't you? (Or was that someone else? Haha)

Yep, moderator on Waypoint, we're invited/trained volunteers so it's really a perfect gesture of them to share the love. As the two images are custom created (from what I understand) I thought to share them around. Posted them on Waypoint too.

Don't worry. I'm used to people stealing my swag.

EDIT:

But it was graceful and elegant, just like your hair.

Aw, thanks. It was a huge wall of text, which upon further reflection seemed to be more detrimental to the flow of the thread than helpful, and therefore at odds with its intent.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I really regret selling my 360. It's only been three months, but I'm missing my occasional Halo fix. Anyone know of any good deals going right now? Do the 4GB models have enough space to install Halo 4 and Reach + save data for Halo 3 / Reach / 4? If so I'll probably go with one of the 4 gigs. I don't really want to play anything other than Halo, and maybe Titanfall.

Ghazi

I really regret selling my 360. It's only been three months, but I'm missing my occasional Halo fix. Anyone know of any good deals going right now? Do the 4GB models have enough space to install Halo 4 and Reach + save data for Halo 3 / Reach / 4? If so I'll probably go with one of the 4 gigs. I don't really want to play anything other than Halo, and maybe Titanfall.

You should be good if you install most things on a USB, if you can't get your hands on a hard drive.

Fuchsdh

You can fit one, or the other. Halo 4 alone requires 3.5 GB for multiplayer (you don't need to install for campaign.) http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/games/halo-4-storage

That said, you can get a 4GB Slim for around $150-160, and 8GB flash sticks are less than $10 these days.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Omni

I've seen a few bundles that are ridiculously cheap, actually.

Something like 250GB Xbox 360 E + 5 games (including Halo 4 + Tomb Raider) for only $200AUD. You'd probably be better off looking for one of those than just getting a 4GB model.

Something like 250GB Xbox 360 E + 5 games (including Halo 4 + Tomb Raider) for only $200AUD. You'd probably be better off looking for one of those than just getting a 4GB model.

Also keep in mind that the latest model 360 doesn't have as many output options as the S. Like if you use optical out for example.

ElRenoRaven

Yup. The good thing about the xbox one being out now is that the price on 360's is finally starting to come down pretty good.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I've heard about those, but I dunno where to find them. It's gonna be a little bit till I can afford to buy anything anyways, so I'll keep my eyes open.

Also keep in mind that the latest model 360 doesn't have as many output options as the S. Like if you use optical out for example.
Yeah, that's shitty, but doesn't affect me.

Chettlar

Banned

This is the strangest thing I have ever read. I'm not sure how to respond. lol

----

Prinz Eugn, I can't respond now, but...I know this seems like a cop out, but that was a fantastic post, really, and I appreciate it. Like seriously, thank you. No sarcasm here.

At first when reading it I started getting defensive, and then I'm like... "You know, Chettlar, this guy makes sense, and a helluva lot more sense than you did."

I don't exactly agree with every teensy thing you said, but it was a great post, thank you.

This was originally a PM, but I copied and pasted it here, because, well, I admit when I'm proven wrong, and Prinz Eugn did a good job. Not to be all "Me! Me", but I am trying to be reasonable here. Eugn was reasonable, and I appreciate that.

And for the last time I am not anybody's alt.

EDIT: (I'm referring to the post that he switched to a PM and is no longer on here, for clarification).

Fracas

#fuckonami
I actually looked through the B|S|T, to see if you posted it there. :p You didn't so I assumed you were half-joking.

I did, a few days ago. If a gaffer doesn't want it I might take it to Gamestop or just keep it forever. It's the one I got from Amazon awhile back for something like $24

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I did, a few days ago. If a gaffer doesn't want it I might take it to Gamestop or just keep it forever. It's the one I got from Amazon awhile back for something like $24
What the hell, why can't I find deals like that.

Chettlar, can you ask Frankie to give me a 360 please.

Fracas

#fuckonami
How much you want for it?
Not sure, really. I don't even know what shipping on something that size would cost.
What the hell, why can't I find deals like that.

Chettlar, can you ask Frankie to give me a 360 please.
Keep an eye on the Amazon warehouse deals page. The site went insane back in August, with a ton of stuff super cheap. I was able to grab the 360 and a Vita for like $60 total.

belushy

Banned
Funny the talk about buying new 360s. The talk last week about the GAF customs made me want to buy the Halo 4 GOTY but I saw it was still $40 on Gamestop. I'll actually be going to a local Bargain Shop here soon to see if I can find some old original Xbox games. Really having the itch to play NFL 2k5 again and some other games.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, what's the name of the guy who's thought to be working on a ranking system for Halo 5? The guy who worked on Starcraft 2's ranking system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom