• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vico

So... Apparently 343 wanted to bring back Narrows, in a cancelled DLC map pack..

941_max.jpg

It was in development at Digital Extremes.
Artist's page : CGHub

(Is it old info, maybe?)

Ataxia

So... Apparently 343 wanted to bring back Narrows, in a cancelled DLC map pack..

941_max.jpg

It was in development at Digital Extremes.

(Is it old info, maybe?)

Halo 5 maybe? They need to keep the Forerunner theme, though. UNSC structures (hell, pretty much everything UNSC) in Halo 4 look pretty awful and I don't expect them to heavily redesign them for the X1.

FYC

Banned
People were talking about making a new HaloGAF Montage recently. I think it'd be awesome if we went forward with it. Few ideas:

- With the launch of next gen and anticipation for the upcoming Halo, I thought it'd be cool if we included offline / online clips from every Halo title. Of course, we could stick to just Halo 4, but since a lot of people aren't very fond of it, I think the former option might be better since it would allow people to submit clips from their favorite games in the series.

- I think letting people choose music for their submissions could be fun, although we'd probably have to stick to mediafire to share the video around to avoid dealing with copyright shit. Not sure how we could structure it; perhaps do segments by member? IE, Part 1 is Madness' footage, part 2 is FUNKNOWN's, etc. In other words, each member gets their own section with music of their choice, as long as they submit enough footage. If someone only submits two clips that are about 5 seconds each, it's sort of awkward to switch to a song for such a short period of time. That said submitting short clips is fine, we can just throw 'em in and edit them together after all the member segments. You can edit your own stuff if you'd prefer. Or we could just stick to the Reach 'tage format, which is a lot less confusing. I just thought letting people use their own music would be neat. Sticking with the Halo OST is cool too.

Oh and we need lots of silly stuff

ibldJvSVTHfdYH.gif

I've never really worked on a montage, but I love editing videos, so I'd be more than happy to take all the footage and put it together.

Fracas

#fuckonami
People were talking about making a new HaloGAF Montage recently. I think it'd be awesome if we went forward with it. Few ideas:

- With the launch of next gen and anticipation for the upcoming Halo, I thought it'd be cool if we included offline / online clips from every Halo title. Of course, we could stick to just Halo 4, but since a lot of people aren't very fond of it, I think the former option might be better since it would allow people to submit clips from their favorite games in the series.

- I think letting people choose music for their submissions could be fun, although we'd probably have to stick to mediafire to share the video around to avoid dealing with copyright shit. Not sure how we could structure it; perhaps do segments by member? IE, Part 1 is Madness' footage, part 2 is FUNKNOWN's, etc. In other words, each member gets their own section with music of their choice, as long as they submit enough footage. If someone only submits two clips that are about 5 seconds each, it's sort of awkward to switch to a song for such a short period of time. That said submitting short clips is fine, we can just throw 'em in and edit them together after all the member segments. You can edit your own stuff if you'd prefer. Or we could just stick to the Reach 'tage format, which is a lot less confusing. I just thought letting people use their own music would be neat. Sticking with the Halo OST is cool too.

http://i.minus.com/ibldJvSVTHfdYH.gif

I've never really worked on a montage, but I love editing videos, so I'd be more than happy to take all the footage and put it together.

I don't really play Halo anymore, but another montage would be fun.

ibldJvSVTHfdYH.gif

Nice idea mate, I'd be happy to send over some various Halo games clips with music of my own selection to throw in. Overall I think members would be happy to have someone like yourself put together a montage, you know you do all the hard work :)

Who did the last Montage editing/clip gathering?

Fuchsdh

Chrome? Firefox or bust you fucks.

Or Safari, am I right?
*Looks around, slowly drops hand*

Don't know if this was brought up, but Halo 3 Steam app was updated 5 days ago. Disregard if old.

http://steamdb.info/app/216800/#section_history

Halo news? Get out.

(I feel like this Steam thing is a massive troll. What would they be waiting for in terms of actually producing it for the platform exactly?)

Nice idea mate, I'd be happy to send over some various Halo games clips with music of my own selection to throw in. Overall I think members would be happy to have someone like yourself put together a montage, you know you do all the hard work :)

Who did the last Montage editing/clip gathering?
I think Ncsu Duncan did it last time. I've got a cap setup now so I can do rendering if need be.

From an editing standpoint, people picking their own music = crappy overlong montage, however.

pitfall-4d905f5d-6e0c-467c-a592-de09d41f7517.png

harvest.png

outcast-0ca0bec2-d1a9-4c14-aa28-7af4556a5274.png

landfall.png

wreckage.png

solace.png

complex.png

adrift.png

abandon.png

erosion.png

Halo 4 could have really used another brown map.

I think those screenshots show off how good Halo 4's stuff looks compared to most "next-gen" games, actually. If there was an issue with color palettes and saturation, I think it might have more to do with the indigo Covenant vehicles and pastel Spartans, actually. They don't always pop as much as they should.

(Why didn't you pick Wreckage? That would definitely did tip the balance into pure monotony.)

Ghazi

Remember when Adrift was first revealed as Warhouse (or something similar to that)? It looked so much better than it did in the final product.

nillapuddin

So... wait, just, one, fucking, minute.

With absolute no connection to Xbox live, the loadouts for all players are STILL DISABLED

how the fuck are people supposed to LAN this unless everyone has their own personal account on board

I just wanted to create some throwaways for my theater buddies..

edit:
its much more intuitive to just alter the settings of all the gametypes I wanna play with 5 varied loadout slots of my choosing

Nah it's not you. I only have like 2 people on ignore and they're not halogaffers.

edit: apparently I removed them at some point so now I have no one on ignore.

I have myself on ignore, so you can imagine how awkward that would be. I also have one other person on ignore, but i won't disclose so I won't stir any pots.

-good ideas-

Going forward, this will be so much easier on the Xbox One. Definitely excited to start throwing clips together with voice overs talking about the CE Pistol and why Halo 5 needed it.

--------------------

This is what I've always wanted out of Halo's art styles; something more artistically appealing to the eyes:

Colors that pop and aren't dulled/gritty:

Halo needs to just fuckin let LOOSE already and quit with the realism and shit. It's a video game.. throw some cool shit in there.

The simplicity of CE and CEA had the best art styles of any Halo game IMO. I dislike how the franchise continued down a path of complicated detail and dull textures.

nillapuddin

Anniversary transition visually was one of the most "next gen" things I could imagine

I know Halo 2 is such a broken piece of god knows what, but man, they could take it even farther now with new next-gen

FYC

Banned
@Godofnerdiness

Where do you want clips sent? Just a public dropbox link via PM?

Sure, that'd be fine. Oh and like Fuchsdh said, I think it was Duncan who did the editing last time.

From an editing standpoint, people picking their own music = crappy overlong montage, however.

Yeah I can see that being the case. Have to think about it.

Fuchsdh

CEA is so pretty. Best looking Halo game by far along with Halo 3.

Agreed. While I think their desire to "make everything whiz-bang and new!" was a bit off the mark on the architecture aspect (they made Forerunner structures a bit too busy), they were absolutely right to go crazy on the environments. They really nailed what I always sort of imagined the environments looking like through nostalgia goggles, especially 343GS and the vistas on Halo and Silent Cartographer.

Too bad they made all the crewman paunchy bald-headed Russians (and bizarrely got rid of their color-coded uniforms.)

If they do release Halo trilogy on the PC, if they could just fix the lip-syching on the characters in CEA during cutscenes that'd be awesome. Reading through the development you can see how it went wrong and they didn't have a lot of time to fix it but that's still bad enough it should have been fixed after the fact.
Reach, if nothing else, had loads of cool armor.

Halo 4 is just gundams with tights on underneath.

Reach had too bulky armor IMO that felt like it didn't fit together right. Halo 4 sort of went too far in the other direction with emaciated Spartans and what felt like too little armor.

50% of the armor in Reach and Halo 4 just should have been scrapped entirely, though. Having unlocks to fill with stuff does not mean you should be putting in the cruddy designs that should be left on the cutting room floor.

CEA aesthetics > CE aesthetics by a ccountry mile. Not just from a hardware perspective; CEA's probably got my favorite art style in the franchise.

Yeah I can see that being the case. Have to think about it.

Maybe you could get everyone who submits to also have a track of choice, and from there I can whip up a continuous mix of roughly 10 - 15 minutes, transitioning between most of the requests.

EDIT: BREAKING: SPODDOHBLOHDOD:

HTupolev

CEA is very pretty, but it misses the vast, monolithic feel of the original. It does it's own thing that works, but I prefer the original aesthetic package more. CE just plain hits the mark in ways that are more awesome. I think if I were to take them both in at a glance, I'd prefer CEA in a heartbeat... but when actually absorbing them in full, CE is a clear winner. When I go play CE oXbox/CRT, I can actually stay at it, but playing CEA usually just makes me want to play CE after 15 minutes or so. Though I guess a part of that is that CEA has some of the most annoying stutter I've ever come across, while CE (though it drops frames like crazy) enjoys a pretty healthy double-buffered input consistancy.

Perhaps my favourite environment reimagining from CEA is Two Betrayals, which is saying a lot since the original is one of my favourite things ever. I still don't think CEA stacks up to the original here, but it's awesome.

Saber did do a number on the game, and I'd easily agree it's one of the best-looking titles on 360. Arguably sits up there with Bungie's efforts, even if I shake my head at some of the artistic choices it inherited as a 343i product. The simplicity and colour really helped it work more than most modern games.

//============================

Classic Mode is a catastrophic failure, though. Not only does the transition system suck, Classic Mode itself is ugly shit. CE was already going to look awkward if people are just jumping back and forth and seeing "what's missing" rather than taking the original in its own right, and the lack of the original sound was already going to exacerbate the issue. But nope, they gotta make it a bad port of a sketchy port. Might as well have labeled it Silent Hill HD Mode.

//============================

But this is all quite irrelevant. The real failure of CEA is that it wasn't a nicely-networked online engine rework of the original MP. Speaking of which, now that there's no population left to split, can we have CE MP?

Classic Mode is a catastrophic failure, though. Not only does the transition system suck, Classic Mode itself is ugly shit. CE was already going to look awkward if people are just jumping back and forth and seeing "what's missing" rather than taking the original in its own right, and the lack of the original sound was already going to exacerbate the issue. But nope, they gotta make it a bad port of a sketchy port. Might as well have labeled it Silent Hill HD Mode.
Can you elaborate on this bit more? What made it a bad port? Just looks like the original game running in 720p to me, plus the updated HUD of course.

HTupolev

Can you elaborate on this bit more? What made it a bad port? Just looks like the original game running in 720p to me, plus the updated HUD of course.
The lighting looks off (both the baked lighting and the way the environment responds to dynamic lights), transparent objects are similarly calibrated totally wrong, the animated fog is gone (yeah, there's a reason I compared it to Silent Hill HD), a bunch of assets have been replaced, a bunch of effects are flat-out missing...

Basically, it's the PC version of the game, but with even more things broken. The game feels dead and flat compared with the original. Switching between the 343 Guilty Spark swamp from CEA to CE is like experiencing a generational leap.

A lot of the issues are fairly subtle, but when combined they seriously mess with the feel of the game and the cohesion of the overall aesthetic.

Oh yeah, one other thing: in Classic Mode your screen flashes a nasty green whenever you get hit by needlers and sentinal beams. Wat.

CEA is based on the PC version of the game. That means it's got AFAIK two clearly visible flaws, though I consider them fairly minor; one is that weapons can sometimes get stuck in the geometry, rotating around at a fast clip creating this crazy noise
Lol no, Halo 1's hyperrealistic weapon physics are in the original game. It seems to happen less frequently, but it's there.

Fuchsdh

CEA is based on the PC version of the game. That means it's got AFAIK two clearly visible flaws, though I consider them fairly minor; one is that weapons can sometimes get stuck in the geometry, rotating around at a fast clip creating this crazy noise; the second is that certain elements of the graphics are slightly but noticeably inferior to the Xbox version. If you take a look at screenshots of 343GS in CE and classic mode, for instance, you'll see there's heavier distance fog in Classic Mode, will less natural falloff. So it's fair to say that switching to classic mode, the game looks worse than you remember because it is worse than you remember.

Edit: beaten by Tupo. I wouldn't say it's a next-gen leap though; things are just slightly shinier and slightly smoother-looking in the Xbox version.

Lol no, Halo 1's hyperrealistic weapon physics are in the original game. It seems to happen less frequently, but it's there.

Really? I guess I just never encountered it on my playthroughs when I had an Xbox. I definitely noticed it all the time on my PC and Mac runs. Seemed to be especially prevalent on AOTCR/Two Betrayals, I think because of those hard right turns in hallways where weapons would get launched by grenades.

The lighting looks off (both the baked lighting and the way the environment responds to dynamic lights), transparent objects are similarly calibrated totally wrong, the animated fog is gone (yeah, there's a reason I compared it to Silent Hill HD), a bunch of assets have been replaced, a bunch of effects are flat-out missing...

Basically, it's the PC version of the game, but with even more things broken. The game feels dead and flat compared with the original. Switching between the 343 Guilty Spark swamp from CEA to CE is like experiencing a generational leap.

A lot of the issues are fairly subtle, but when combined they seriously mess with the feel of the game and the cohesion of the overall aesthetic.

Oh yeah, one other thing: in Classic Mode your screen flashes a nasty green whenever you get hit by needlers and sentinal beams. Wat.

Well damn, that's eye opening. Does everything emulate properly when running the original game on a 360?

FYC

Banned
Maybe you could get everyone who submits to also have a track of choice, and from there I can whip up a continuous mix of roughly 10 - 15 minutes, transitioning between most of the requests.

That'd be cool.

Alternatively, we could split it up by game. Start with Halo CE, Halo 2, etc. and end at Halo 4. Use music from each title, maybe a couple of covers / remixes to spice it up a bit.

We can decide on the music / structure later, in the meantime, feel free to start gathering clips.

HTupolev

Well damn, that's eye opening. Does everything emulate properly when running the original game on a 360?
Everything? Not quite, but it's a pretty close match. Obviously you get the original sound, and AFAIK the gameplay mechanics are a perfect match (whereas CEA has some very slight differences).

Graphically, the only issue I've personally noticed with the 360 emulation is that, like the PC version and Classic Mode, it's missing the animated fog effect. Other "fog" effects that break in PC/Classic Mode (like the one that makes the the AotCR sky look correct from the ground) seem to be working correctly in the 360 emulation.

Booshka

No, it's a lot better than "Classic mode" of CEA, but there are some flaws here and there. Halo CE MP is practically unplayable on 360 because the game freezes for a second every time you pick up Active Camo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom