• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
Again play and pay what you want, I wont judge but I do not like this "Only Possible with magic clouds and kinect" BS and the people that blindly support it because the company said so.

I will never understand people who do that. In any context. It is just utterly alien thinking to me.

monome

Sure, that's no problem. I'd like to keep playing Halo and i'm not that big on fancy visuals.
But... the price: Xbone. Where you pay more for less power and unnecessary (fucking Kinect). And it ain't available in Finland yet anyway. Wonder when it will be, did we every get any word when Xbone will launch in "second-tier" countries?

I wonder, Halo 5 will be 60FPS, supposedly anyway (i bet it won't be stable). But what about resolution? Since Halo is MS's flagship, will they push for 1080p or keep it lower?
I'd imagine somewhat-better-than-Halo 4-level visuals at 60FPS/1080p are not impossible. But is that too low for Xbone Halo?

Unless 343i dramatically improves the openess in Halo (5) or the scale of combats, you can expect a shit ton of eye candy.

There is no reason to doubt X1 can't handle Halo 4 with HD textures + other graphical improvements in addition to stability.

I don't believe this year Halo game will be anything than a Halo 4 technical upgrade with maybe a touch of non-linearity (that Sphinx reveal screams of potential "visit x or y or z planet" rather than" visit x then y then z").
which is fine by me, if they manage to make a competent MP environment...tho I don't play Halo MP anymore and I can live with it fine apparently.

It is just utterly alien thinking to me.
image.php

Great to hear. How far are you?
Probably not far.
rescued Elizabeth from the tower, had her bolt from me for killing people, now about to take the skyrail somewhere (the name escapes me; it's early in the morning here). The misogyny and racism is pretty fucking disturbing.

Woorloog

Banned
Probably not far.
rescued Elizabeth from the tower, had her bolt from me for killing people, now about to take the skyrail somewhere (the name escapes me; it's early in the morning here). The misogyny and racism is pretty fucking disturbing.

I read that as "Rescued Elzar..."

Probably not far.

Not far, you have a lot more awesomness to take in. Enjoy the ride.

And yeah, the
racism
related stuff is pretty...wow.

Waste of money.

Hey, I'm not a Wii U.

Gui_PT

Probably not far.

You just wait for the Nicholas Cage part

Bring back normal CTF and not this horrid version in Halo 4.

RIP stealth
RIP tactical flag throwing
RIP juggling

The only good CTF was in CE and Halo 2, the hell with everything after.

Terminal CTF, Offense: Go inside the right building and drop down that little path while your teammate waits up top. Grab the flag, run through that doorway and pass the flag up to your teammate.

What was wrong with this Bungie/343? Why was CTF made into a sluggish shit show with Halo 3 and now, 3 games later, CTF is still crap comparatively. They need to bring back the flag physics from the first two games if they're serious about making it as fun as it once was.

Mistel

Banned
Thats my biggest issue with his art.. it is all very good, but often times too similar.
I'd say at a glance that the flood forms in four are pretty much the same head wise

For the JP HaloGAF crowd: for just 100K, you too can SHOOOT HERRRR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JURASSIC-PA...Original-Screen-Used-Movie-Prop-/390756055657
Very nice but for that much I could make myself one of these:
And the auctions not even done so it might sell for a lot more.

nillapuddin

Im gunna jump on this UI game today

but first

Forge maps REALLY need the ability to chose an image that is used for its Map Card
Really, Really, Badly.

inb4 why it wouldnt work, dont care

Fuchsdh

I'd say at a glance that the flood forms in four are pretty much the same head wise

Very nice but for that much I could make myself one of these:

And the auctions not even done so it might sell for a lot more.
Yeah if I lived anywhere a Jeep made sense I would definitely think about plunking down the money for one of those. :)

Im gunna jump on this UI game today

but first

Forge maps REALLY need the ability to chose an image that is used for its Map Card
Really, Really, Badly.

inb4 why it wouldnt work, dont care

In terms of bang for your buck l'd say custom thumbnails would be one of the most significant additions they could make to Forge.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
Still, why Bluepoint? Just wondering if anybody has any insight as to why they would be a good pick. I mean, maybe it's just as simple as they were the cheapest, quickest, etc. developer available.

Because they are total hardcore badasses. A small team of very experienced pros, led by Andy O'Neil and Marco Thrush who were key leads on Metroid Prime.

Since 343 did multiplayer connected to a canon vision with "War Games".. What's the explanation to the Flood Infected Spartans, are they a hypothetical mashup of what infected Spartans look like similar to Combat forms?

Perhaps there's highly classified records in ONI with evidence of Spartan IV's compromised in investigating a strange anomaly on a ship or planet but then were overwhelmed by an ambush of Flood? Anyways, if 343 does expand on this I'm curious on how they'll handle this part of the lore in future halos.

Tawpgun

You tell me.

EDIT: I'm just gonna say that the Tawpgun Halloween one is my favorite, but you gotta know some chat logs for it to be as funny as it is.

Was that the "kill me" one? Do you still have that pic?

Fun fall days are the worst, juices has my back

EDIT: Found it, hahahaha

Bring back normal CTF and not this horrid version in Halo 4.

RIP stealth
RIP tactical flag throwing
RIP juggling

They should had opted for making the flag mark appears every 5 seconds instead of a permanent mark above the player or make it perk exclusive (and maybe make the PV highlight only the flag), make flagnum an special ability and a time penalty for holding the flag for more than 2 mins.

I sometimes tend to die in front of Yourexwife to make him carry the flag or one ally who carry a power weapon

Mistel

Banned
Settler needs removing. Allow me to browse some BTB player made maps and bring you something that isn't terrible.
It is a awful map why it was picked over a decent map I don't know. The glaring flaw of the map is that ridge, how it wasn't noticed is beyond me.

Yeah if I lived anywhere a Jeep made sense I would definitely think about plunking down the money for one of those. :)
I would as well if I could drive and as you said live somewhere where it could be used.

They should had opted for making the flag mark appears every 5 seconds instead of a permanent mark above the player or make it perk exclusive (and maybe make the PV highlight only the flag), make flagnum an special ability and a time penalty for holding the flag for more than 2 mins.

I sometimes tend to die in front of Yourexwife to make him carry the flag or one ally who carry a power weapon

When we played together, we were pretty efficient at Scoring Ricochet goals and capping Flags.

Settler needs removing. Allow me to browse some BTB player made maps and bring you something that isn't terrible.
you could pull the shittiest BTB map from Forge Hub and it would be better than Settler. The base terrain of the map is horrible, so there's nowhere to go but down.

FyreWulff

Why does this happen?

Due to the way lockstep networking works, it's just passing around button presses. The reason the magic works is because everyone started in the same state (A) and the same sequence of button presses will always result in the current state (B) because everything in the game is deterministic.

You don't need to send the master state to all the clients at the start of the session because they all have a local copy of the initial state, the .map file and the settings file that adjusts some parameters. They all just load that data into RAM and activate it from the same point, because they know everyone else has the same data and the same starting point.

Now, dropping out a player. This is the easier of the two, since you just need to get rid of one play from the button press relay. It still requires a lot of work, but it's definitely less of a headache. FUN FACT ABOUT REACH/QUIRK OF THIS FUNCTIONALITY: get a checkpoint in co-op. Go past the checkpoint for a while, and have someone quit. You'll notice that it'll say "xxxxxx has left the game" each time you revert - because it's literally replaying the player leaving the game to keep everyone's simulation in sync.

Now why can't we just add players to the session? Can't we just add them to the button press relay? Nope. They need to be given the same state as everyone else; not a close estimate, not a good guess, literally 1:1. Or the simulations will drift and the game desyncs.

The game's state can be huge. I don't know the exact size of Halo's game state, but it could be anywhere in size. It is going to be considerably big. Let's just take a rough guess and say it's 40MB-100MB. This is a lot of freaking data to just send over the pipe to someone, considering some people are using 512/512kb DSL still. And nobody can do anything while the data is being sent to the person joining. Not really feasible. So the binary blob of the game state is right out.

Another option is to send the joining client a recording of the game up to that point, and play the record in ultrafast-forward until it gets to the current state. You can do neat tricks like capture snapshots of the game state along the way, but this replay file can get huge, even bigger than the game's state. Remember, drop-in has to work if we've been playing on The Ark for 20 minutes or 200 minutes or even 2000 minutes. If you've played an RTS that lets you join a game in progress, they tend to use this method. Once again though, you're running afoul of Microsoft's bandwidth limits and home user connections. Whoops. So both our "best" methods of allowing someone to join a lockstep session are technically possible, but not feasible.

Asynchronous networking modes like competitive multiplayer care LESS about being out of synch. The game state is not only smaller, it's not even the same size on all the boxes. The host actually has much more information than the clients and doesn't share everything with them to keep as little data as possible from being sent down the wire. This is why you lose sprees and perfections in Halo titles if the host has to move to another box, because only the host determines if you get a spree medal ("oh hey client 10, i see you got 5 hammer kills in a row, please award this medal to yourself and display it on your UI"), and it does not share the ongoing spree data of every player in the game with everyone else. The new host after a bluescreen doesn't have that data available when it's reconstructing the session. The state is small enough that when you join a session, it just needs to send you the bare minimum to get working.. an asynch session can miss a huge chunk of updates but get back on track and "heal" once it digest enough new data on everyone's positions and status.

The tradeoff to the lower sized game state is that it requires a lot more ongoing bandwidth to keep going. So to have AI with full functionality in asynch, they pretty much have the bandwidth cost of a normal player. The more AI you have, the more bandwidth they cost. Versus lockstep, which uses the same bandwidth if you have 10 or 10,000 AI on one screen. On the upside,you have no button latency. But the asynch bandwidth cost for all the AI is too much for most home connections and Microsoft regulations.

Now put the asynch host on an Azure dedi and you've solved the bandwidth problem.

sidenote: this is why party film clips barely worked in halo 3 but full game films tended to work all of the time. The film clips needed all 4 people in the session to start a the same state, which meant the host starting the film, figuring out state frame 0, then sending that state to the other 3 players, then playing all the button presses to the other players. and it could be a pretty hefty binary blob. Connections were so slow you were more likely to time out of the session waiting for the host to send gigantic state files to 3 different clients than actually see the film ever play.

tl;dr a wizard did it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom