• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistel

Banned
I don't know the point you're trying to make. I didn't feel she was oversexualized or reduced to anything lower than she was. Everything that happened to me felt natural of her character evolution through Fall of Reach to Halo 4. First we were talking about Cortana, and now you have gone on about the other female characters. (I won't argue that Palmer is a strong character, she isn't.)

My stance hasn't changed at all: I said the relationship between Chief and Cortana at the end was uncomfortable, you said it wasn't, I countered with the fact that she isn't human at all so such evolution of a relationship isn't natural. You then mentioned a retcon, I mentioned other female characters as the general state of game was towards them as a general observation.

Any easier for you now?

Babies suck just saying, they are smelly and noisy (In other words I'm awful with children).

Tawpgun

So, keeping the tradition of "babbyGAF" alive, would this avatar be going in "too far", or is it fine?

Already bad enough getting Tag Quoted, don't want to be avatar quoted (more than I already am).

Cl5FZMf.png

why do you do this to yourself.

why do you do this to yourself.

I saw XboxUK tweet out this picture, along with a video of an 8 year old listening to the "Xbox," commands and I thought it was cute. :p Reminds me of my (at the time) 2 year old nephew and 3 year old nephews turning on my Xbox One and being so excited to play Zoo Tycoon, they loved it.

Seriously the video is adorable. and I just want to keep the enthusiasm from the video going, shared the video on Reddit and to some Skype friends. Almost want to make a GAF thread, but I fucking know how that would turn on.

Babies suck just saying, they are smelly and noisy (In other words I'm awful with children).
I currently don't want one/any, but I like being around them some times, when they're well behaved.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm saying since it may be bullshit and makes scurrilous accusations with confusing"proof" you're not reading it on the front page of GAF.

edit: weird. My previous post shows as edited, but I never touched it.

Apparently it's been cleaned up. Feels like a CIA operation lol

Uncomfortable... What. Yeah sorry not seeing it. I thought it was a natural evolution of them working together. It was also built up because the fact that she is near death and knowing she isn't Human and so she can't "feel," which considering she is based off a human brain, it's natural she would yearn for things that which Human's only have.
The scene could play a couple of different ways using the same dialog, 343 chose to go with a more unrequited love route instead of a more platonic sense of impending loss that would have fallen more in line with her character.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Cortana being an AI is irrelevant to me. She could still love Chief, and Chief could still love her. The fact that we even assign a gender to her shows how close to human we think of her. Look up some fanfic to see how many real life people really do want to bone her.

The problem I have isn't that the seeming sexual attraction isn't realistic, but that it's unnecessary, and detracts from the relationship otherwise represented in the fiction. Their love was one between friends, and even hinting that it was sexual feels cheap to me.

PNut

Banned
Even with the netcode, inconsistent BR and low population multiplayer has?

Since I stopped playing H4 I went back to H3. Only play TS playlist and occasionally some MT. 1/10 games I find have bad host. Find games in a reasonable amount of time and never had a problem getting kills with the BR. Of course I'm playing prime hours on the east coast.

But u really know what's SO GREAT?

No bullshit elements in the game like in Reach and 4. It's wonderful.

Cortana being an AI is irrelevant to me. She could still love Chief, and Chief could still love her. The fact that we even assign a gender to her shows how close to human we think of her. Look up some fanfic to see how many real life people really do want to bone her.

The problem I have isn't that the seeming sexual attraction isn't realistic, but that it's unnecessary, and detracts from the relationship otherwise represented in the fiction. Their love was one between friends, and even hinting that it was sexual feels cheap to me.

Not once during Halo 4 did I take Chief's and Cortana's character development as "Chief and Cortana are thirstyyyyyyyyyyyyy".

The whole time I saw them developing from a Partners relationship to a "Mother/Son" relationship, with Cortana knowing she won't be around for much longer, and is slowly going insane and will die, and Chief realizing that he's losing the only person he's ever cared for, his only friend.

Yep. Also, copy/pasting 4v4 settings into doubles, wholly ignoring the obvious need for adjusted spawn times, weapon locations, ammo counts etc. Shiska wrought a legacy of ruin on almost all of the playlists he touched. MLG scorches so brightly because it is free of his disastrous influence. I sometimes wonder if he sat around smoking blunts all day laughing at madkids on the bungie playlist forums.

How much I wouldn't give for 343 to make some simple changes to the playlist. Why Shiska thought it was a good idea to put Valhalla and Last Resort (seriously, it's quite astonishing how many times I get this map) in 4v4 playlists is beyond me.

The doubles issues are also very true. 4 rockets and 12 sniper rounds are way to much in a 2v2 playlist.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Apparently it's been cleaned up. Feels like a CIA operation lol

I'm sure it was just a weird gaf server error thing, but you're right, it stopped being marked as edited. No content was actually changed, btw. it just showed the "edited at" sig.

I'M SCARED

Tawpgun

Not once during Halo 4 did I take Chief's and Cortana's character development as "Chief and Cortana are thirstyyyyyyyyyyyyy".

The whole time I saw them developing from a Partners relationship to a "Mother/Son" relationship, with Cortana knowing she won't be around for much longer, and is slowly going insane and will die, and Chief realizing that he's losing the only person he's ever cared for, his only friend.

Cortana was a lot more "flirty" in this game.
"Take a girl for a ride?"

And then the awkward "I"VE ALWAYS WANTED TO TOUCH YOU"

Chettlar

Banned

I don't think it was necessarily sexual per se. Humans often express affection through touch, sexual or not. She "loves" him, and she's about to die. I'm pretty sure I would want to touch a person that I cared deeply for (not in a sexual manner) if I had never done so and was about to die. I still think it could easily have been perfectly platonic. Or at least, it should have been, if that makes sense.

Not that I think it wasn't a comfortable scene. I agree with Stormtrooper on that front. It wasn't really done well. I get what 343 were trying to do, but I think they could have done it a little better without it seeming so "forced."

Korten

Banned
My stance hasn't changed at all: I said the relationship between Chief and Cortana at the end was uncomfortable, you said it wasn't, I countered with the fact that she isn't human at all so such evolution of a relationship isn't natural. You then mentioned a retcon, I mentioned other female characters as the general state of game was towards them as a general observation.

Easier, but that still doesn't make sense. Cortana is VERY close to a Human, considering she even shares some memories with Halsey says it all. Despite being an AI, she's is such a level that she can have many human feelings and human desire. If she was regular AI who wasn't based on a human, then yes, you would have a point and it wouldn't be natural.

However Cortana IS based on a Human, which does make all of the difference. More so since she is the most Human part of the Master Chief-Cortana duo.

So, keeping the tradition of "babbyGAF" alive, would this avatar be going in "too far", or is it fine?

Already bad enough getting Tag Quoted, don't want to be avatar quoted (more than I already am).

Cl5FZMf.png

3eio0mN.png

I always intepreted their relationship as a subtle family ties sort of deal, primarily in the mother-son sense. Given she's a flash clone of Halsey's brain, who was already a proverbial mother to the Spartans, the fact that Cortana had some more deliberately intimate feelings towards Chief (wanting to touch him, etc.) was pretty weird for me. Then again, she was dying for the entirety of the game, so it might have just been rampancy doing that to her. Hard to say.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Chief and Cortana's relationship in Halo 4 is largely ambiguous, but there are definitely cues that could be read as sexual, and they're so blatant that I refuse to believe they're accidental. The question, then, is why? What does it add to the characters or the narrative? Maybe the physical touch was added to give a humanitizing moment between two friends who are often seen as inhuman. But a chest touch? I dunno.

Fuchsdh

I don't think it was necessarily sexual per se. Humans often express affection through touch, sexual or not. She "loves" him, and she's about to die. I'm pretty sure I would want to touch a person that I cared deeply for (not in a sexual manner) if I had never done so and was about to die. I still think it could easily have been perfectly platonic. Or at least, it should have been, if that makes sense.

Not that I think it wasn't a comfortable scene. I agree with Stormtrooper on that front. It wasn't really done well. I get what 343 were trying to do, but I think they could have done it a little better without it seeming so "forced."

I don't think it was sexual either, but like you think it was just some inept writing and staging right at the end that pushed it into awkard, uncertain territory.

I hate to be the guy to suggest Schlerf or whoever was writing that scene should have realized how it would have been interpreted sexually and corrected for it, because I don't like the idea of people misreading situations influencing your art, but that juvenile "Cortana x Master Chief space AI sexxxx" attitude is there and as close as you get to it you can't be surprised people might take it that way.

Mistel

Banned
I currently don't want one/any, but I like being around them some times, when they're well behaved.
Wait and see when they are ill or upset that will put you of them.

Since I stopped playing H4 I went back to H3. Only play TS playlist and occasionally some MT. 1/10 games I find have bad host. Find games in a reasonable amount of time and never had a problem getting kills with the BR. Of course I'm playing prime hours on the east coast.

But u really know what's SO GREAT?

No bullshit elements in the game like in Reach and 4. It's wonderful.
It does make it better than 4 and reach. Host selection isn't that great for non US people I either get stuck with Australia, Canada or Mexico as a host which sucks.

Cortana is VERY close to a Human. If she was regular AI who wasn't based on a human, then yes, you would have a point and it wouldn't be natural. However Cortana IS based on a Human.
Being based and close to human isn't the same as being a human.

Just have her hug Chief, dammit. If she's about to die and wants a quick, just-friends way of physically interacting with him, give him a hug. Don't touch his chest and fiddle with his Spartan nips. Don't twerk all over his visor. Give the poor guy a hug, goddammit! He's saved the galaxy a couple of times now while watching most of his childhood friends die and his race fall victim to a plethora of alien menaces.

If Chief doesn't get to finally see Halsey again by the end of the franchise I'm going to be pissed.

I was wondering about the chest touch, since I thought physically touching him could be a good idea, but idk. I tried to think of somewhere else she could touch him, and the only other one I could think of was his hand, but that's about as...i don't know, not right.

I think the issue is really that she shouldn't have touched him at all in Halo 4. Not as an AI. I almost feel like it would be more appropriate to have her become a human before touching him. I mean, come on, she's not even physical, how is she supposed to touch him? Cuz spacey sci-fi cool magic that's why lol. That would have made her becoming human much more meaningful, I should think. I mean, that iswhat is supposed to happen eventually, right?

wut. Cortana becoming a real human is a no-no. That's now how it works. The goal of AI as far as evolution goes are to become "trans-sentient" in the Halo universe; that is, brave through rampancy and become above the necessity for "physical" sensation and emotion. Mendicant Bias is theorized to have reached transsentience after the Halo Array went off.

Chettlar

Banned
Chief and Cortana's relationship in Halo 4 is largely ambiguous, but there are definitely cues that could be read as sexual, and they're so blatant that I refuse to believe they're accidental. The question, then, is why? What does it add to the characters or the narrative? Maybe the physical touch was added to give a humanitizing moment between two friends who are often seen as inhuman. But a chest touch? I dunno.

I was wondering about the chest touch, since I thought physically touching him could be a good idea, but idk. I tried to think of somewhere else she could touch him, and the only other one I could think of was his hand, but that's about as...i don't know, not right.

I think the issue is really that she shouldn't have touched him at all in Halo 4. Not as an AI. I almost feel like it would be more appropriate to have her become a human before touching him. I mean, come on, she's not even physical, how is she supposed to touch him? Cuz spacey sci-fi cool magic that's why lol. That would have made her becoming human much more meaningful, I should think. I mean, that iswhat is supposed to happen eventually, right?

3eio0mN.png

I always intepreted their relationship as a subtle family ties sort of deal, primarily in the mother-son sense. Given she's a flash clone of Halsey's brain, who was already a proverbial mother to the Spartans, the fact that Cortana had some more deliberately intimate feelings towards Chief (wanting to touch him, etc.) was pretty weird for me. Then again, she was dying for the entirety of the game, so it might have just been rampancy doing that to her. Hard to say.

flip Speedy's face 180.

Omni

Just have her hug Chief, dammit. If she's about to die and wants a quick, just-friends way of physically interacting with him, give him a hug. Don't touch his chest and fiddle with his Spartan nips. Don't twerk all over his visor. Give the poor guy a hug, goddammit! He's saved the galaxy a couple of times now while watching most of his childhood friends die and his race fall victim to a plethora of alien menaces.

If Chief doesn't get to finally see Halsey again by the end of the franchise I'm going to be pissed.

And now I'm just imagining MJOLNIR armour with extruding nipples like the Nipsuit in Batman & Robin

Tzeentch

-- I think the inference is that she was using a hardlight body or the Chief was actually in a virtual space similar to the one that he met the Librarian imprint in (and that Halsey later enters).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

I think it's a really touching (lol) gesture, even if she couldn't physically touch him. Some other type of touch could have given the same effect without being so easily read as sexual. Like, a Star Trek II style hand touch. I dunno, I guess any touch could be read as sexual, and really it's the context and writing that really sets the tone. I'm not sure what I'd change.

Chettlar

Banned
I'll respond to you in a second Wahrer, but for right now. Just remember, I'm still relatively new to the franchise, so things like that I'm sort of unfamiliar with. I'm trying to learn, and I actually usually don't post a question on here unless I've googled and looked and can't find anything.

I don't think it was sexual either, but like you think it was just some inept writing and staging right at the end that pushed it into awkard, uncertain territory.

I hate to be the guy to suggest Schlerf or whoever was writing that scene should have realized how it would have been interpreted sexually and corrected for it, because I don't like the idea of people misreading situations influencing your art, but that juvenile "Cortana x Master Chief space AI sexxxx" attitude is there and as close as you get to it you can't be surprised people might take it that way.

I was honestly not happy with Schlerfs writing for the most part. I don't think he handled the humanizing of Chief well at all. Cortana's lines in that scene seem stilted and don't really flow well. Chief's are a little better in that scene, but ya know, it's kind of important to have good lines for Cortana, since she's kind of the person who's, um, about to die.

I think it's a really touching (lol) gesture, even if she couldn't physically touch him. Some other type of touch could have given the same effect without being so easily read as sexual. Like, a Star Trek II style hand touch. I dunno, I guess any touch could be read as sexual, and really it's the context and writing that really sets the tone. I'm not sure what I'd change.

That's the delimma I'm running into as well. I get what they were trying to do, and there has got to be a better way for them to have done it, but I'm not really sure how that could happen.

Stinkles

The concept of touching is designed to show the frustration of being unable to connect except through simulation - that while he is her best friend, she could never really know him except through simulation. there's an earlier piece of Cortana writing somewhere where she muses on not being sure f what she's experiencing is real, or simply what instructions tell her is "reality." It's an age old human/AI question about reality/simulation and whether or not there's any difference. She's using better tech (Forerunner) to enhance her projection, but the moment is definitely a cypher for how PLAYERS feel about her in that moment too. Chest does not equal nipples. But I admit I LOLd at twerking.

Nobody is wrong to interpret it as romance if that's how they want to feel about it, but the intention is certainly something else, and much more complicated than either platonic or romantic love. Heart is a human construct with no physical connection to the soul - but a metaphorical one. Chest. Brain on the other hand is a chemical computer.

It's about existence.

Chettlar

Banned
The concept of touching is designed to show the frustration of being unable to connect except through simulation - that while he is her best friend, she could never really know him except through simulation. there's an earlier piece of Cortana writing somewhere where she muses on not being sure f what she's experiencing is real, or simply what instructions tell her is "reality." It's an age old human/AI question about reality/simulation and whether or not there's any difference. She's using better tech (Forerunner) to enhance her projection, but the moment is definitely a cypher for how PLAYERS feel about her in that moment too. Chest does not equal nipples. But I admit I LOLd at twerking.

Nobody is wrong to interpret it as romance if that's how they want to feel about it, but the intention is certainly something else, and much more complicated than either platonic or romantic love.

It's about existence.

That's kind of what I was trying to say. I get what you guys were trying to do, and I think it's actually pretty cool that you tried to do that. edit: like very cool. I'm just not sure how I feel about how you did it. Cortana's lines in the scene kind of killed it for me, even though I thought she acted with what she was given very nicely. "Forced" is the word I used before.

I think he's saying you post too much.

I don't think so. I think kittens is referring to the number of "..." I use. I have to admit, I use quite a lot of them.

edit damnit you saw nothing!

I feel like I'm the only one who saw that scene and didn't think it was sexual.

Ehh? Fuchsdh and I both said we didn't think it was sexual that I can think of. I think some other people said similar.

Stinkles

That's kind of what I was trying to say. I get what you guys were trying to do, and I think it's actually pretty cool that you tried to do that. edit: like very cool. I'm just not sure how I feel about how you did it. Cortana's lines in the scene kind of killed it for me, even though I thought she acted with what she was given very nicely. "Forced" is the word I used before.

I don't think so. I think kittens is referring to the number of "..." I use. I have to admit, I use quite a lot of them...

I can't argue about how you feel about execution and it's not like we didn't "worry" about this, just some insight into conversations.

Cortana's making a pretty unsettling "bone-me" face the entire time she's looking at Chief, and the delivery of "What, I'm the strangest thing you've seen all day?" as she's put on a decidedly human pose and avatar of a completely nude human female probably doesn't help. Cortana's appearance is based on Halsey's fresh out of college according to the Reach diary, so make of that what you will.

Nobody is wrong to interpret it as romance if that's how they want to feel about it, but the intention is certainly something else, and much more complicated than either platonic or romantic love. Heart is a human construct with no physical connection to the soul - but a metaphorical one. Chest. Brain on the other hand is a chemical computer.

It's about existence.

aka "I can give you over forty-thousand raisins" to anyone who's mashing the skip cutscene button on Shutdown. :lol

The whole heart thing is pretty enlightening, though. She's trying to empathize with Chief on a spiritual / human level above all else in that moment, rather than just be the one to unlock 256,000-bit encryption keys for him or survey landscapes. That makes a lot of sense, but it's also pretty depressing considering it means she was finally starting to understand the idea of being human (and by extension transsentience) just before she died.

It's about existence.

the piece in question may be the beginning of the mission with the Pelican. she tells chief about how she knows the artificial sun is just that. but then throws her own doubt onto that, because of the apparent rampancy.

is that what you were referring to?

TheXbox

You're not. It was very evident to me on my first playthrough what they were going for, and the romance angle people are suggesting is, in my eyes, a very shallow interpretation of that relationship.

The whole heart thing is pretty enlightening, though. She's trying to empathize with Chief on a spiritual / human level above all else in that moment, rather than just be the one to unlock 256,000-bit encryption keys for him or survey landscapes. That makes a lot of sense, but it's also pretty depressing considering it means she was finally starting to understand the idea of being human (and by extension transsentience) just before she died.

Welp thats the final stages of rampancy for you
before trying to consolidate her energy and be safe of rampacy

Chettlar

Banned
I can't argue about how you feel about execution and it's not like we didn't "worry" about this, just some insight into conversations.

No, no you're fine. I'm glad you took the time to sit down and say that. I would love to design a game someday, and I am well aware of the feeling one gets of "Gosh. How can we do this right?" ya know?

Perhaps the issue is what somebody else said: "Overdone." In other words, I think (and can't blame anybody for it) that sometimes developers and writers and movie producers etc can get so caught up in wanting to "do it right" that something is ultimately missed. It's the bane of all "Receivers of the Torch" to put it figuratively. You guys were obviously under a ton of pressure, and I think that, whether you noticed it or not, it got to you and affected what you did.

I think you did do a lot of things right, but at the same time, I think the pressure to make a Halo game (I mean think about the significance of that. One of the most popular and great franchises of all time) really rubbed off a bit too hard. Made you lose focus of some of what was important. Bungie just made Halo games because they liked making Halo, and it showed. You guys probably enjoyed it too, but were under a ton of pressure, and that too, I think, showed.

I'm sure it was very stressful, but I have high hopes for what you'll do in Halo 5. I honestly believe you are learning from it and trying to apply what you learned, and honestly, I wouldn't rather have Halo with anybody other than someone like that. :)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

It's about existence.
Well put. That makes a lot of sense.

Cortana's making a pretty unsettling "bone-me" face the entire time she's looking at Chief, and the delivery of "What, I'm the strangest thing you've seen all day?" as she's put on a decidedly human pose and avatar of a completely nude human female probably doesn't help. Cortana's appearance is based on Halsey's fresh out of college according to the Reach diary, so make of that what you will.
Yeah, I read that stuff as being pretty damn flirtatious, despite of the creators' intent and the actual canon.

I really need to replay Halo 4 someday. I've only played the campaign once, and I'm working off of 14 month old memories here.

Cl5FZMf.png

You might as well go full on with your avatar and embrace your tag, you do anyhow mate.

Speaking of connections. I didn't know Halo 4 did that thing where the game starts with a good host and no one is teleporting or lagging and then decides to find the one australian in the game and give it to them instead.

sorry ozzy

All good, we have the polar opposite, LAN 8 Aussies and the 3 Yankees pull host, multiple games in a row...dedis save us PLS!

Right there with ya buddy. One of the best scenes in all of Halo for me, outside of game lore in included.

So is the cboat being outed thing real?

reading about it elsewhere. Which if you find it will make perfect sense. Could also be bullshit.

I don't really buy into the whole CBOAT thing, gamers just project whatever they want through his comments anyhow. His hit rate isn't so impressive and the reveals aren't so wildly OMG either.

Omni

I'm still annoyed that Cortana was even entering rampancy in Halo 4.

There was a pretty popular theory going around a few years ago that Cortana had been 'pulled' out of rampancy by the Chief in Halo 3 when he found her in High Charity. I liked that theory

Chettlar

Banned

There was a pretty popular theory going around a few years ago that Cortana had been 'pulled' out of rampancy by the Chief in Halo 3 when he found her in High Charity. I liked that theory

Hmm, interesting. Explain. Like how could she be "pulled out" of rampancy?

Not that I necessarily agree with the theory, since she wasn't near as old as most AI is when it goes rampant + she had human tissue in her, but still. I'm curious.

Mix

I have to say that I enjoy the theory that Cortana has been the bad guy all along. Since back when Reach fell.

It's about existence.

I found it p creepy imo.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The corruption thing is cool with me, but I wish they would have taken it further. Part of me was really hoping we'd see Cortana become a villain. Changed by the typical decay of smart AIs, but also corrupted by a Forerunner AI transmitted while on one of the Halo installations. She'd have detailed knowledge of all of human civilization and military, millenia worth of knowledge from the Forerunner, and access to long dormant Forerunner weaponry. She'd rival the Gravemind and the Flood as a threat.

And then we could get all kinds of cool emotional / moral dilemma from John as he wrangles with fighting (or saving?) his only true friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom