• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juan

Halo 3 started the "fuck details about the game" UI that I've been pissed with for a while now. Reach had the awkward turn the stick to browse between windows. Was not a fan of those angles. I do UI/UX and I'm always annoyed with a lack of consistency between menus and a proper hierarchy based on what people want to see and do.

so-much-THIS-fireworks.gif

Would you want to marry me?

Madness

Halo 3 started the "fuck details about the game" UI that I've been pissed with for a while now. Reach had the awkward turn the stick to browse between windows. Was not a fan of those angles. I do UI/UX and I'm always annoyed with a lack of consistency between menus and a proper hierarchy based on what people want to see and do.

I wonder what you think of Destiny. Obviously this isn't representative of the final UI, and it's not exactly the same, but this is what their main menu, character select and weapon upgrade screens are like. I agree with you that Halo 3 and Reach started to cut details out, but I don't know, the Reach design just looks so fantastic, with a slight tweak it could be great no?

belushy

Banned
Very early attempt of mine that I'm working on right now (well not anymore, I'm going to bed.) I got a lot of inspiration from a lot of the other designs posted in this thread, as you'll probably see.

I feel really weird about this. I like what I did with the map thingy, but everything else feels off. The font is really throwing me off, and no matter what font I try, it always looks weird. Any advice? I see Juan is in here, so please go easy on me. :) Oh, and my idea here is that when you want to start the game, the picture of the map is actually a button (sorry Devo ;P)

I know this is offtopic but does anyone here own or have tried the Oculus Rift devkit 1?

If so, is it tolerable when playing let's say Portal 2? If I just slap it on my friend who doesn't really play games, will she get immersed and all that?

I've played the latest version

First 15 seconds: THIS IS AMAZING, OMG I'M TURNING MY HEAD LEFT AND IT'S LOOKING LEFT!!!!!!!!!!

Remainder of time: Vomiting imminent. I am a vessel of vomit undulating in a sea of sick. I feel like a 5 year old reading a book on the back seat of a hot, stuffy car moving at speed. GET THE BIN HANDY

My two friends played it no problem though. Really hope there's something they can do for the consumer version.

Madness

so-much-THIS-fireworks.gif

Would you want to marry me?

Your real name isn't Josh Mattingly is it?

That feels really disjointed as well. I see very little unity in grid and lots of wasted space.

I'm curious, like obviously David Candland would know about all these guidelines, but why would he choose to do the UI that way then. Maybe personal choice? For me, when I look at UI now, I want something that tells me the info I need and looks really good/cool. I wonder if you saw a few pages back, quite a few people posted mockups they worked on, and if UI/UX is something you obviously know and work on, whether they could benefit from your critique of them.

The feels when you'd rather play Halo 3 that Reach or 4.

It's just better, even with the sketchy cross Atlantic connection.

People even talk, i thought those days were long gone.

Nebula

I both hate and love party chat for that reason.

Considering making a Goosetage entirely out of reverse splatters. Not sure yet though.

Akai__

I love those UI's people have been posting. Keep them comming. Wish I had more talent, to create those, too.

Personally, I would love to see this for Halo 5:

- Halo 3's Campaign UI, with a little more information
- Mix between Halo 3's and Reach's UI for Multiplayer
- Mix between Halo 2's and Reach's UI for Custom Games, but with the map selection system from Halo 3
- If Firefight (or Spartan OP's) comes back, than take the UI from ODST
- Mix between Halo 3's and Halo Reach's UI for Forge mode. Map selection, like in Halo 3
- Halo 3's UI for navigating through the Main Menu, but with the ease of Reach's navigating.
- Halo 3's file share system, because for some reason, I never looked into other peoples file-share in Halo Reach or Halo 4, but still do in Halo 3

I picked those things, because I liked how easy and clean, they looked. I don't like Halo 4's UI at all. Sometimes, I need quite some time, to find out, where I can change my Spartan's armor or color. It's just a mess for me. Don't know, how others feel, about those things.
Maybe I'm just stupid. :lol

IHaveIce

Banned
I agree 100% on the file share part, for some reason I don't even know If I can look into the fileshare of somebody while being matched up with some one in Reach or 4.
In Reach it was often just blacked out.
Whike when I play H3 I always look into the fileshares and stuff.

Nebula

I agree 100% on the file share part, for some reason I don't even know If I can look into the fileshare of somebody while being matched up with some one in Reach or 4.
In Reach it was often just blacked out.
Whike when I play H3 I always look into the fileshares and stuff.

Same here. Definitely something they get right first time, and then tried to improve it when it didn't really need to be improved.

Omni

Reach is still pretty decent. There's a fair bit of fun to be had in the Anniversary playlists if you can find a match. Or firefight if you want to mix things up a bit.

I haven't played Halo 4 multiplayer since early June... due in part because I broke my disc, but still.
Looking back, it seems my last game involved being stomped on by full a party in CTF on Settler. Such an awful map

Fuchsdh

I still think it was originally intended as Halo 5 at the time Axis made the animation, but it has since devolved into a bridge game between 4 & 5 instead. Thus allowing 5 to have more development time on par with previous main entries in the series. The idea of them holding out on the Halo 5 reveal because they haven't come up with a good subtitle yet sounds silly to me because they could've just announced it as Halo 5 (creating more buzz for the Xbox One) and added the subtitle later.

This is what I think too, but apparently most don't agree with us :) The fact that they also said "next-gen Halo is 60fps etc" instead of "the next gen Halo" is a point in favor of that view IMO. But we'll see soon enough.

Mistel

Banned
This is what I think too, but apparently most don't agree with us :) The fact that they also said "next-gen Halo is 60fps etc" instead of "the next gen Halo" is a point in favor of that view IMO. But we'll see soon enough.
I'd rather wait longer for a decent game than get a repeat of 4 and reach again. It might persuade me to buy the new console for it.

Nebula

I hope 343 and Microsoft realize that this game is going to be a make or break on people purchasing an Xbox One as well. It is for me anyway.

Madness

I hope 343 and Microsoft realize that this game is going to be a make or break on people purchasing an Xbox One as well. It is for me anyway.

This game is going to be a make or break for the series. They can't suffer another Reach, or Halo 4. It's the most important IP for Microsoft.

And literally if the same design philosophies are carried forward, their is still that touch of arrogance of we want to do it our way, than they have to live with the results. There would be no one to blame, they know what fans want, their most loyal fans.

Now that I know Bluepoint is handling TitanFall for 360, I'm thinking that I'm holding off on the Xbox One and that it's most likely Halo 5 that will sell the console for a lot of people, even those who've gone PS4.

Fuchsdh

This game is going to be a make or break for the series.

I hope you're spouting hyperbole, because I highly doubt that Halo 5 would go from selling 9 million units to not selling at all.

Let's be honest: Halo 5 is going to make or break the series for fans here on this site and a couple other internet communities. The majority of Halo players are casuals who clearly didn't stick around for the multiplayer but were responsible (and have been since at least Halo 3) for the majority of sales. I don't think you can really suggest that the complaints with the game to the minority will actually impact the sales to the majority until we see it happen.

Back in the Halo 3 days, Microsoft only counted on Halo fans to sell 1.1 million units. I suspect the proportion if not actual number remains close to the same.

Mistel

Banned
It's not like everyone hasn't been vocal that we disliked their implementation of halo, hopefully they actually listen. Sales wise it's not bad but multiplayer is a completely different story.

I hope you're spouting hyperbole, because I highly doubt that Halo 5 would go from selling 9 million units to not selling at all.

Let's be honest: Halo 5 is going to make or break the series for fans here on this site and a couple other internet communities. The majority of Halo players are casuals who clearly didn't stick around for the multiplayer but were responsible (and have been since at least Halo 3) for the majority of sales. I don't think you can really suggest that the complaints with the game to the minority will actually impact the sales to the majority until we see it happen.

Back in the Halo 3 days, Microsoft only counted on Halo fans to sell 1.1 million units. I suspect the proportion if not actual number remains close to the same.

Halo is not going away anytime soon. However I do think 343 has bigger hurdles to overcome with Halo 5 then they did with Halo 4. TitanFall and Destiny will take away some of the casual fans, the install base is much smaller, and then obviously convincing the fans they alienated with Halo 4 to come back.

We'll see I guess

Fuchsdh

Halo is not going away anytime soon. However I do think 343 has bigger hurdles to overcome with Halo 5 then they did with Halo 4. TitanFall and Destiny will take away some of the casual fans, the install base is much smaller, and then obviously convincing the fans they alienated with Halo 4 to come back.

We'll see I guess

Oh I agree, and I'm sure for many people here even if Halo 5 is the bee's knees, if only 25-30K players are playing it it's going to dampen their enjoyment as well. Multiplayer is certainly not something you want to become anemic and an afterthought if your game is heavily focused on it.

I just hate the nonsense that Halo is dad because the people saying it are living in a bubble.

Oh I agree, and I'm sure for many people here even if Halo 5 is the bee's knees, if only 25-30K players are playing it it's going to dampen their enjoyment as well. Multiplayer is certainly not something you want to become anemic and an afterthought if your game is heavily focused on it.

I just hate the nonsense that Halo is dad because the people saying it are living in a bubble.
I think if Halo 5 does poorly it is pretty much the beginning of the end. Not sure how it can continue or why Microsoft would continue to poor money into it with the massive decline in players. It will become the next sonic. Sure, more games will come out but there won't be a lot of hype and hoopla to go with each new installment. To me that equates to dead.

Fuchsdh

I think if Halo 5 does poorly it is pretty much the beginning of the end. Not sure how it can continue or why Microsoft would continue to poor money into it with the massive decline in players. It will become the next sonic. Sure, more games will come out but there won't be a lot of hype and hoopla to go with each new installment. To me that equates to dead.

That sort of attitude is what leads to Square Enix calling Tomb Raider a failure, and publishers less willing to take a chance on anything different.

A game selling 9 million copies is not a failure. A game selling 2 million copies is not a failure either.

Mistel

Banned
Must resist urge to tag quote. That's a pretty large category for dead as a game, using sales with 4 is tricky as although it did well, the population in online speaks for itself at how disliked it was.

Fuchs, it's all relative to us (Halo communities and people who keep the disc in for a long time) when we say those things. The next Halo is surely going to sell several million throughout its lifetime, so when we say things like "Halo 5 will make or break Halo" we're saying it in relation to our trust in 343; at least that's what I hope other people mean as well.

If Halo 5 ships with an Active Camo AA and perks, then that will prove to us that 343 doesn't give a crap about what we think, even in the face of obvious flaws to gameplay.
I'd rather wait longer for a decent game than get a repeat of 4 and reach again. It might persuade me to buy the new console for it.

Hmm, but what if you waited longer and still got a repeat of Reach/H4? A lot of our issues with those games were in its design, something they shouldn't need an extra year to figure out.

343 should do a GAF play test session(s) when Halo 5 is playable. With the wide variety of skills an opinions, the hostile honesty could do wonders for everyone.

Plus I wanna give Frankie and David a hug for keeping up with this thread despite the negativity.

Mistel

Banned
Hmm, but what if you waited longer and still got a repeat of Reach/H4? A lot of our issues with those games were in its design, something they shouldn't need an extra year to figure out.
That is a point, 4 had the design change from classic to infinity that shouldn't have happened. I wouldn't like a repeat of the distancing of the core gameplay in each subsequent release.

Fuchsdh

I know that's not everyone's intonation or meaning, Unknown, I just hate it when people unnecessarily use hyperbole or imprecise language in a medium where there is no tone. Saying "Settler is a poor map because most engagements revolve around the hill, and whoever owns the hill controls the map with DMRs" is a more valuable and discussion-provoking comment than "Settler is the worst map and I would eat shit before playing it willingly". Likewise, the folks at 343 can do a lot more with detailed, even feedback than "I hate this because reasons".

I don't think we have to be some high-minded altruists when it comes to the series—people here like what they like and want what they want—but to completely ignore the majority of buyers is not going to happen, so you might as well be pragmatic and inclusionary.

Madness

XBOX LIVE TOP 20 NOVEMBER 25, 2013

1. Grand Theft Auto V
2. Call Of Duty: Ghosts
3. Call Of Duty: Black Ops II
4. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
5. FIFA 14
6. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
7. Battlefield 4
8. Skyrim
9. Call Of Duty: Black Ops
10. Madden NFL 25
11. EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13
12. NBA 2K14
13. Halo 4
14. Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag
15. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
16. Battlefield 3
17. NBA 2K13
18. Halo: Reach
19. Iron Brigade
20. GTA IV

Chettlar

Banned
bZO2DxX.png

Halo 2 should be a template not Reach, Reach UI is bad news.

pregame.jpg

While I'm not a fan of that huge space taken up with "waiting for blah blah to start" you have an image of the map, map details and the full list of people in the lobby. If 2 more joined they'd still fit on screen.

Glad somebody agrees that Reach is not a good UI.

How would you (and Juan) recommend doing the player details thing? Is there a way it could be present on the main screen, or should it be relegated to a separate screen like in Halo 3? (I ask because Halo 3 took much longer to look through the various players' stats, and i with there was a way I could just see that without having to do much. It's important info to me as a player).

I'm making a mockup, and I have some ideas for a lot of things, but I'd like your input on just how to do that.

Fuchsdh

Glad somebody agrees that Reach is not a good UI.

How would you (and Juan) recommend doing the player details thing? Is there a way it could be present on the main screen, or should it be relegated to a separate screen like in Halo 3? (I ask because Halo 3 took much longer to look through the various players' stats, and i with there was a way I could just see that without having to do much. It's important info to me as a player).

I'm making a mockup, and I have some ideas for a lot of things, but I'd like your input on just how to do that.

I would imagine only trying to show stats of the selected player is the way to go. Perhaps have the baseball card info fold out from the standard player bar.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
But exploration in Bioshock is mostly about finding audio diaries and random loot. Considering that you're prevented from traveling in straight directions by plot I'd say it's still fairly linear.

Kind of, but it's rare to be able to explore an area that's intended for a campaign level BEFORE you're tasked by the game with going there. I don't see that as linear.

I would imagine only trying to show stats of the selected player is the way to go. Perhaps have the baseball card info fold out from the standard player bar.
Ideally for me, scrolling down the player list should bring up important, gametype-specific stats like Games Played/Games Completed (are they habitual quitters?), Win %, K/D ratio, and Assists. Physically selecting the player brings all the other stuff that's less relevant to matchmaking, like appearance and the remaining statistics.

Mistel

Banned
Yep, crazy to think that those first two shots were from a video released 19 months before Destiny's launch date.
That machine gun looks like it belongs in borderlands as a tediore weapon. As for UI player stats are important K/D or a visible rank shouldn't be buried in different menus it should be visible once the player is move over.

Is anyone else getting a crazy amount of 504 and 408 errors on gaf?

Ideally for me, scrolling down the player list should bring up important, gametype-specific stats like Games Played/Games Completed (are they habitual quitters?), Win %, K/D ratio, and Assists. Physically selecting the player brings all the other stuff that's less relevant to matchmaking, like appearance and the remaining statistics.

Viewable stats are a mixed bag unless they make it harder or more punishing to back out, because people leave the lobby all the time in 4 even with stats slightly buried. If I were King of Halo, I would have stats viewable only after the vote and treat leaving the post-vote lobby like quitting a game (a loss).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom