• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Viewable stats are a mixed bag unless they make it harder or more punishing to back out, because people leave the lobby all the time in 4 even with stats slightly buried. If I were King of Halo, I would have stats viewable only after the vote and treat leaving the post-vote lobby like quitting a game (a loss).

image.php

I really want Devo to rip apart my UI demo. Y'know, for science.

Also, in unrelated news
considering it's actual halo
, the guys over at Achievement Hunter have a gaiden series called "Go!" where the name of the game is to complete a random objective every week selected by Geoff (the voice of Grif), and this week's happened to be "complete a level in any Halo game other than Wars or Spartan Assault [or Reach's Lone Wolf]." Cutscene missions don't count.

Go watch! Couple of funny things for Halo vets tucked away in their commentary.

Also, off the top of my head, fastest missions for all the first-person Halo titles are:
CE: Keyes, using the deployable cover noclip exploit
Halo 2: Uprising, for sure, possible in under 2 minutes
Halo 3: Floodgate? Not any real exploits at play, it's just a short mission, ~5 mins
ODST: Uplift Preserve
Reach: Nightfall, ~4:30 thanks to running past fights and clipping through the gate
4: Shutdown (rip)

Fuchsdh

It's probably CBOAT stuff, the source of their info was found to be another gaffer.

Ah yeah I was getting confused. "it's not E3 why is GAF dying?"

image.php

I really want Devo to rip apart my UI demo. Y'know, for science.

Also, in unrelated news
considering it's actual halo
, the guys over at Achievement Hunter have a gaiden series called "Go!" where the name of the game is to complete a random objective every week selected by Geoff (the voice of Grif), and this week's happened to be "complete a level in any Halo game other than Wars or Spartan Assault [or Reach's Lone Wolf]." Cutscene missions don't count.

Go watch! Couple of funny things for Halo vets tucked away in their commentary.

Also, off the top of my head, fastest missions for all the first-person Halo titles are:
CE: Keyes, using the deployable cover noclip exploit
Halo 2: Uprising, for sure, possible in under 2 minutes
Halo 3: Floodgate? Not any real exploits at play, it's just a short mission, ~5 mins
ODST: Uplift Preserve
Reach: Nightfall, ~4:30 thanks to running past fights and clipping through the gate
4: Shutdown (rip)

What's the Keyes exploit exactly?

Chettlar

Banned
That machine gun looks like it belongs in borderlands as a tediore weapon. As for UI player stats are important K/D or a visible rank shouldn't be buried in different menus it should be visible once the player is move over.

Is anyone else getting a crazy amount of 504 and 408 errors on gaf?

Yes, repeatedly. Haven't gotten any 408s actually though.

Just got a 504 posting this.

Viewable stats are a mixed bag unless they make it harder or more punishing to back out, because people leave the lobby all the time in 4 even with stats slightly buried. If I were King of Halo, I would have stats viewable only after the vote and treat leaving the post-vote lobby like quitting a game (a loss).

You would make a good king in that case. Thanks for the idea. I'll implement it into my mockup. :)

Just fyi, guys, my mockup is going to be comprised of about 6 or so different screens, with a bit of text beneath each on explaining the features, not that they need much explaining. More of an analysis.

I think the reason GAF's dying on and off is because of the ass ice storm hitting the southeast US. For some reason FloridaGAF makes up roughly 90% of our population, and everyone logging in at once = rip gaf bandwidth.

Either way would be fine with me, but the information should be readily available and pertinent to the upcoming match so I know what I'm in for besides everyone's favorite stance and most used weapon.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think the reason GAF's dying on and off is because of the ass ice storm hitting the southeast US. For some reason FloridaGAF makes up roughly 90% of our population, and everyone logging in at once = rip gaf bandwidth.

Hopefully most of them will be arrested for or the victims of surreal crimes and free up servers.

Juan

Glad somebody agrees that Reach is not a good UI.

How would you (and Juan) recommend doing the player details thing? Is there a way it could be present on the main screen, or should it be relegated to a separate screen like in Halo 3? (I ask because Halo 3 took much longer to look through the various players' stats, and i with there was a way I could just see that without having to do much. It's important info to me as a player).

I'm making a mockup, and I have some ideas for a lot of things, but I'd like your input on just how to do that.

As I said, do you really need to reinvent the wheel?

Dunno, if I had to do this, and keep the baseball card from Halo 4, maybe I would keep the idea being the UI of Halo 3 and do something like this :

1391022282-for-chettlar-wireframe.jpg

But first, I would think about the main informations I would like to see about a player. For me, it would be the number of games he has played, the number of matchmaking game he has won and the K/D ratio, so I could quickly know if he is a good player.

Without taking too much risks, I could merge Halo 3/Reach and Halo 4, using the stance on the card to quickly know the armor of the player so I could recognize him in the game, and let the option to the player to get more informations.

And I wouldn't waste too much time on the visual design

1391022284-for-chettlar-visual.jpg

In fact, the Active Roster for Reach and baseball card from Halo 4 aren't too much differents. It give you a quick acces to what you need to know about the player.

Havok

K/D is a stat you have to be really careful about. In a deathmatch-only game? Sure, go nuts and display it all over the place - you're showing the primary quantifiable measure of success in that case. Halo isn't just deathmatch and kills are not the primary success metric for most gametypes. By surfacing that stat at the top level globally you run the risk of encouraging people to pad kill stats in objective games to look like a hardass in the pre-game lobby and ruining matches that aren't kill-based for people that actually want to play the objective. Win/Loss, on the other hand, is a stat that is dramatically more useful to players and doesn't carry that same danger. A team win/loss-based ranking system works well while individual K/D based ranks (vanilla Arena) fail for that same reason - people are jerks and will continue to be that way with even the slightest bit of encouragement.

That's why I was advocating per-playlists stats, but it may be too much information to process quickly in a lobby
I don't know how this would really work out given the living nature of the playlist roster - designing a very custom, compact UI for that kind of thing seems like a real nightmare with a ridiculous number of use cases. I guess if you restrict the information to the specific playlist you're it gets easier, but there aren't really many useful stats that apply to a lot of gametypes - what are the relevant stats you surface for an Oddball playlist? What's the "default" view? I'm a huge proponent of the W/L stat being surfaced really prominently because it's always useful and it's applicable to every single gametype. It encapsulates every single playstyle, as well, while something like K/D doesn't give an accurate representation of skill for many of the roles a player can have in a match.

Seance

Banned
K/D is a stat you have to be really careful about. In a deathmatch-only game? Sure, go nuts and display it all over the place - you're showing the primary quantifiable measure of success in that case. Halo isn't just deathmatch and kills are not the primary success metric for most gametypes. By surfacing that stat at the top level globally you run the risk of encouraging people to pad kill stats in objective games to look like a hardass in the pre-game lobby and ruining matches that aren't kill-based for people that actually want to play the objective. Win/Loss, on the other hand, is a stat that is dramatically more useful to players and doesn't carry that same danger. A team win/loss-based ranking system works well while individual K/D based ranks (vanilla Arena) fail for that same reason - people are jerks and will continue to be that way with even the slightest bit of encouragement.

What's your k/d?

Juan

K/D is a stat you have to be really careful about. In a deathmatch-only game? Sure, go nuts and display it all over the place - you're showing the primary quantifiable measure of success in that case. Halo isn't just deathmatch and kills are not the primary success metric for most gametypes. By surfacing that stat at the top level across the board you run the risk of people padding kill stats in objective games to look like a hardass in the pre-game lobby and ruining matches that aren't kill-based for people that actually want to play the objective. Win/Loss, on the other hand, is a stat that is dramatically more useful to players and doesn't carry that same danger. A team win/loss-based ranking system works well while individual K/D based ranks (vanilla Arena) fail for that same reason - people are jerks.

Totally agree. But...

K/D is a metric you will found in every game mode in a Halo game. Even in a objective gametype, you have to kill you opponents, so it can give a look on the player action. Maybe he has won a lot of games, more than the half he has played, but maybe he has a K/D ratio under 1. You could guess he is more a objective player than a support.

Maybe it's false, maybe he is a bad player in slayer mode and just has the chance to be with good players, then he won a lot of games.

Here, you have the number of games he has played and how many he has won. Even if people a jerks, it's easier to see if he has won more than the half of games he has played, and you can keep an indication about his K/D ratio.

On the other hand, it let you display three of the main informations (once again, for me).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

And don' forget hat k/d ratio doesn't tell you how cool or funny a person is - and how their incompetence is sometimes an amusing spirit lifter for their team, and that that person might also be super obedient and actually "GTFO and stay in the base and don't move you stupid bald nub" when he is told.

Or he might go full Leroy Jenkins.

You can't tell.

I dont understand how anyone could see that scene as sexual.

Yoga pants and TV commercials can set people off. Naked holograms don't meet an exceptional criteria.

Mistel

Banned
And I wouldn't waste too much time on the visual design
1391022284-for-chettlar-visual.jpg

In fact, the Active Roster for Reach and baseball card from Halo 4 aren't too much differents. It give you a quick acces to what you need to know about the player.
It's a nice UI but I would change it slightly to make it more accessible to others. Like having consistent coloring for the player cards and a background they contrast with them. Makes it easier to read instead a clash of colors.
Slight color blindness bias, stupid genes. I really like it though :D

Hopefully most of them will be arrested for or the victims of surreal crimes and free up servers.

I'll do my part.

And don' forget hat k/d ratio doesn't tell you how cool or funny a person is - and how their incompetence is sometimes an amusing spirit lifter for their team, and that that person might also be super obedient and actually "GTFO and stay in the base and don't move you stupid bald nub" when he is told.

Or he might go full Leroy Jenkins.

You can't tell.

This is why I'm for giving people the ability to place stats of their choice on baseball cards, use cloud-power buzzwords if you have to. I'd rather let people know I shamelessly hoard Grenade Launchers in all of my games than let them know I have a KD of 0.002.

FyreWulff

No more baseball cards.

Kill death ratio is not important enough to waste lobby UI real estate on.

Not like 343 would be able to use an UIs people are posting, and people should really treat their ideas as having value and not give them away for free.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Keep the player record available (like Reach's setup) for those that like to read them, but only feature relevant stats for a particular gametype. K/D/A in Team Slayer, Flags stolen/capped/assisted in CTF, etc.

I also like Wahrer's idea of a "title card" of sorts. CoD does this already and aside from the really dumb ones (420blaze hurr hurr) they're pretty neat.

Keep the player record available (like Reach's setup) for those that like to read them, but only feature relevant stats for a particular gametype. K/D/A in Team Slayer, Flags stolen/capped/assisted in CTF, etc.

I also like Wahrer's idea of a "title card" of sorts. CoD does this already and aside from the really dumb ones (420blaze hurr hurr) they're pretty neat.

If there's some kind of interim "social lobby" where you don't actually need to see gametype information or you're waiting for people, it'd be neat to replace the map / gametype settings with a baseball card. That being said, when it comes to actual lobbies where information needs to be broadcasted, I don't think it's the greatest idea in the world with regards to real estate.

If baseball cards make a return, 343 better make sure the next Recon / Haunted armor is holographic cards. Make a TCG out of it! That'll reel in babbies.

This is a weird statement to make, especially in this thread.

Why milk for free when you can charge the cow a crisp $200 to sleep on your hotel floor for three hours? Also, portfolios definitely never stopped being a thing. It pays to have some personal work so that you actually have reference to pimp when people start asking you what you've accomplished. Revisions to existing properties that aren't getting you sued are a great way to get some extra work in.

Juan

Gah! You got iOS7 in my Halo!

Blurred background for UI in Halo works well since Halo 3 and ODST I guess, that was a surprise when I saw years ago blurred background was the new trend for designers, especialy from Apple.

Lobby.jpg

Did I already say David Candland was a master and a visionary in term of UI ?

nillapuddin

First of all, thanks for the positive feedback and the criticisms everyone, megaquote incoming..

I can dig it.
This is one of the better ones ive seen. Wahrers were absolutley terrible but he did have one good idea, of having a sort of "tactical" option of viewing the map/gametype.
LIke if you hover over the gametype in a matchmaking menu and press it a little side menu pops up with the settings.
If you click on the map it gives you a top down version with weapon spawn locations.
I really wish that map blueprints were more accessible, although obviously any experienced player can map the whole thing in his/her mind on one play, its still nice to see them. Im sure future Waypoint can provide that.
IDude that looks real nicely done, puddin.
I really enjoy this one the most so far. It's not to empty but yet it's not to much for the screen.
Also Nilla - That is great design there. Takes some stuff from Halo 4 (like the one above) but gives it a Reach feel.
appreciated gents, yeah I booted up 4 and Reach and tried to do some basic functions, then tried to replicate them
Throw in some bumper button whole screen swiping (just like Ryse as you mention or the X1/360/H4 interfaces do), quick mockups of what those other screens would be and also add colour buttons that are context sensitive for pop-ups with greater detail.
No one is really tackling the post carnage report, which would be cool to see the stats we want prevalent
Yeah I need to develop a method of showing the button prompts in an intuitive manner
Im gunna start googling random Halo menu screens and recreate them in my idea, Ill take requests even, this is fun
I didnt read anything you wrote, but I would honestly be fine with this. It looks really nice, and a really nice step that would fit Halo's menus. Maybe when you are choosing a Forge variant, it pops out to the left in the empty space, instead of moving the camera out to the right? I'd have to see it in order to judge it.
Also make a main menu mockup now. I'd like to see what you'd think would fit with this sort of design
@1st part: I didnt want to fill the entire screen with stuff, that one mockup that is all blue that Devo critisized just looks too busy, but that was my first idea. Or that right side column could just be dedicated to all of it, but I wanted to avoid sub-menus

@2nd part: that what is so frustrating, I wanted to just do the Lobby Screen, but without showing the layers and motion of the interface, it doesnt make sense.

Goodbye social life, gotta make the whole game now
bZO2DxX.png

Halo 2 should be a template not Reach, Reach UI is bad news.
pregame.jpg

While I'm not a fan of that huge space taken up with "waiting for blah blah to start" you have an image of the map, map details and the full list of people in the lobby. If 2 more joined they'd still fit on screen.
Yeah I dont like having to use the gigantic buttons, but its the only way to work with this design language, and keep it consistent. I like your example of Halo 2, there is ALOT going on in that screen, Im gunna see how it would work in my Halo now :)

I completely agree with your crit on the blue one, I was lulled into the same four buttons set up as he was, mostly by default, but I feel I avoided the mass-missinformation that it has

I think that might be a but too pretty, Id be interested in how you actually propose to incorporate that into a full screen though, will you do more?
on another note:
Your opener being (everyones designs suck) and follows ups like, "As I said, do you really need to reinvent the wheel?" is coming off really douchey, might wanna re-read before you post to make sure your english/context is appropriate

edit:

whoa.
No more baseball cards.
Kill death ratio is not important enough to waste lobby UI real estate on.
Not like 343 would be able to use an UIs people are posting, and people should really treat their ideas as having value and not give them away for free.

no fun allowed?

GreyWind

Blurred background for UI in Halo works well since Halo 3 and ODST I guess, that was a surprise when I saw years ago blurred background was the new trend for designers, especialy from Apple.

Lobby.jpg

Do you think the ODST player card could work with more than four players? I thought about it but it wouldn't be nice to scroll down when you have 16 or more players.

Lobby.jpg

In case my demos didn't make it obvious, I don't think iOS7 because of the gaussian wallpaper. It's the actual layout and formatting. Your demo probably looks the most "polished" out of these past few examples just because of the emphasis on detail with regards to the UI's framework itself, rather than raw information. The subtle gradients, font, textures, and warmer takes on colder colors are what immediately come across as Apple-esque to me. By contrast, take a demonstration like the one Karl whipped up - while it may not seem as immediately refined or polished as yours, that's fine because these are conceptual. I think Karl probably hit the perfect mix of functionality and making the UI resemble traditional Halo, and with a complete production team
outsourced to Certain Affinity
working on it I have a feeling it'd probably remain the strongest out of the examples we've seen so far. Nillapuddin's is a close second, but I feel that sticking so closely to 343's UI vision (which itself was outsourced for the most part, meaning retools in the future are entirely possible) hampered it a little bit. It does a great job of relaying information and staying official-looking.

No, not really. People should stop giving 343 free material and labor.

You do realize people can legally have creative commons licenses for their own artistic assets, right? I don't think anyone that's posted a UI demonstration here would feel ripped off if 343 ended up with a UI similar in framework to their own. I mean hell, if you want to be completely idealistic, Frankie could quote one of his favorites and say "fascinating." for all we know.

Your opener being (everyones designs suck) and follows ups like, "As I said, do you really need to reinvent the wheel?" is coming off really douchey, might wanna re-read before you post to make sure your english/context is appropriate

ivbKoF9bpT06J.gif

Do you think the ODST player card could work with more than four players? I thought about it but it wouldn't be nice to scroll down when you have 16 or more players.

I could see it working in Campaign and Firefight menus, for sure.

belushy

Banned
@Fyre Well I doubt I'll ever make money off making UIs, so I'm just doing it for fun. Mine is shit anyway, no one even commented/critiqued it ;(

Juan

I should have clarified, I was talking about the part with the skulls & cie, not the player card.

I guess Otto had fun with the card because he knew there would not be more than 4 players in a lobby in ODST.

@nillapuddin: As you should have guessed, english is not my primary language, and sorry but I did not understand your side note.

The height for the player card I made is too damn high, even for the little one ala Halo 3, it could not fit well on a screen right now, it would only display 12 players on the list.

Mistel

Banned
No, not really. People should stop giving 343 free material and labor.
Isn't anything halo related automatically claimable under the content usage rules:

Content usage rules said:
This means that if you add to the game universe or expand on the story told in the game with "lost chapters" or back story or anything like that, distribution of your story or idea may appear in a future game without any compensation to you

What happened to sub zero?

On the discussion of giving ideas away for free, once we find out that 343
named this game Combat Evolved 2
and brought back the
CE Pistol
, you best believe I'll be demanding royalties.
This is why I'm for giving people the ability to place stats of their choice on baseball cards, use cloud-power buzzwords if you have to. I'd rather let people know I shamelessly hoard Grenade Launchers in all of my games than let them know I have a KD of 0.002.
Excellent idea. I thought this same thing for the lobby screen UI; it would be pretty slick if we could choose what goes where, similar to what some games allow with HUD customization (ie: The Conduit).

Hopefully we'll get custom controls this time around too.

nillapuddin

@nillapuddin: As you should have guessed, english is not my primary language, and sorry but I did not understand your side note.

The height for the player card I made is too damn high, even for the little one ala Halo 3, it could not fit well on a screen right now, it would only display 12 players on the list.

Its okay about the language, nobody is gunna burn you at the stake, but when discussing peoples personal opinions, and they might not have as much technical skill to visualize them (as say, you), its best to avoid phrases like, "it sucks"

and for the player card height, Im with you, in my own design I could only show 13.5 at a time without scrolling, its a tricky balance

If anyone else wants a UI/UX critique I'll do it. To be honest you guys should be showing a grid and wireframe first. Visuals should be your last worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom