• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

I guess I don't understand how you can say ,"Killing real players is much, much harder" and not be commenting on the skillful aspect of it. To me, the difficulty of killing a player should be directly correlated with the skill required to do it (unfortunately, developers don't hold this same view). I'm not calling you out or anything, just commenting on my perspective.
I agree, but just wanted to note that AI players are easier to kill; so the pistol really feels OP against them. Against normal players there is more resistance, Jeff said that it takes around 3 shots to kill a human player.

lmfao BigShow on a rampage; I love it.
Another one for the pile of "Selective reading". I guess you have to grab on to anything...

pj

Banned
Sorry to go off topic and not talk about Titanfall (...), but I would just like to vent about something in Halo 3's SP real quick.

Those god damn cortana and gravemind gameplay interruptions. What the fuck were they thinking? Pace ruining pretentious gibberish with overdone effects. That crap is especially bad when replaying the game because you already know that nothing ever really comes of it. They annoyed me in 2007 and they annoyed me even more last week.

Bungie: "You were having fun? Hold on, I incorrectly think I'm a good story teller so you need to see this bullshit for 10 seconds. ---------------------------------------------------------- Pretty good, right? Ok, carry on."

Utterly terrible.

On topic: What resolution does titanfall even run at, anyway??

Mistel

Banned
Unlocks makes the game last longer because it makes you chase a carrot? Don't see how thats fun.
simpsons-sarcasm-detector-o.gif

Reading are off the charts :p.

Unlocking weapons ruins balance as it shafts those who don't have enough time to site and unlock the higher tier weapons. Not mention the unfairness it creates. Not that halo will stoop to that level again, hopefully please?

Sorry to go off topic and not talk about Titanfall (...), but I would just like to vent about something in Halo 3's SP real quick.

Those god damn cortana and gravemind gameplay interruptions. What the fuck were they thinking? Pace ruining pretentious gibberish with overdone effects. That crap is especially bad when replaying the game because you already know that nothing ever really comes of it. They annoyed me in 2007 and they annoyed me even more last week.

Bungie: "You were having fun? Hold on, I incorrectly think I'm a good story teller so you need to see this bullshit for 10 seconds. ---------------------------------------------------------- Pretty good, right? Ok, carry on."

I never understood how master Chief had those cortana flashbacks, maybe she left a fragment of herself inside Chief armor?

the same can be said for the Gravemind flashbacks

The indoctrination theory was true!!

TheOddOne

On one hand, it is trying to emphasize story, with Cortana being rescued, in that level—from the start, the buildup and to the finish. On the other hand, they could have just done it in a cinematic and made that level more sandbox like. I see it more as a failed experiment.

inkls

simpsons-sarcasm-detector-o.gif

Reading are off the charts :p.

Unlocking weapons ruins balance as it shafts those who don't have enough time to site and unlock the higher tier weapons. Not mention the unfairness it creates. Not that halo will stoop to that level again, hopefully please?

I'm saying I don't see how having unlocks in the way CoD did will make the game fun, sorry for the misunderstanding

So apparently it's not very competitive but that doesn't mean it won't be fun for most players. It doesn't even seem to be pretending it can be played really competitively, so it doesn't really bother me all that much, but I was never expecting it to be a Halo replacement either.

I'm having Halo 4 pre-release flashbacks.

"Yea this sounds bad, but it's fun when you play it"

lol I'll have a new one by Monday, you'll have to wait a week more to have a taste of Sabotage in all it's glory.

Good thing is I'll have more time to set up the maps for it.

At least I don't run away for arguments and try to take cheap shots to make myself feel better.
Oh yeah? Whenever you're ready then buddio. Been waiting ages for your response.

heh It's been a while since we've "fought."
My verbal backhands are always ready.

EDIT:
Halo is a different case because it has a history of having a huge competitive community, whereas Titanfall is built from the ground up for it (apparently) and people's expectations aren't derived from their experience with Titanfall 0 or Titanfall -1.
I was expecting this game to have perks and other gameplay altering mechanics, but damn I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed by this. I was hoping for Respawn to break that mold from shooters these days..

I'm having Halo 4 pre-release flashbacks.

"Yea this sounds bad, but it's fun when you play it"
Halo is a different case because it has a history of having a huge competitive community, whereas Titanfall is built from the ground up for it (apparently) and people's expectations aren't derived from their experience with Titanfall 0 or Titanfall -1.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, kind of.

On the other hand people will have a chance to beta it, so a bit longer than the PAX/E3 impressions people had. For good or ill.

Also this.

But I think the people doing the most hyping are people here. It may not be the greatest game ever, if you go in with neutral expectations you're guaranteed to feel better about it.

TheOddOne

Oh yeah? Whenever you're ready then buddio. Been waiting ages for your response.

heh It's been a while since we've "fought."
My verbal backhands are always ready.
Oh god, you don't even remember why we fought. I give up on you, you're a lost cause. It was not even about CE, at all, but your asshole behavior on this page.

You latched onto the CE argument, because that was the only excuse to steer away from the actual discussion. Nice try trying to spin this into something that has nothing to do with the subject at hand, but that is typical thing for you to do when you can't muster up a good or valid response. Cut it with the moronic no sense making gif responses, makes you look even more thick headed.

Let it out pal. Let the tears flow.

Haven't you been "done" with me before?

Cut it with the moronic no sense making gif responses, makes you look even more thick headed.
Offensive. The bird was dropping bait in order for the mindless fish to bite, ezzz.

EDIT:
See, you had one chance to redeem yourself, yet still you act like a total dumbass.

I mean, feels like I’m trying to reason with a third grader. Scrap that, that is an insult to third graders all around the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmXumtgwtak

TheOddOne

Let it out pal. Let the tears flow.

Haven't you been "done" with me before?
See, you had one chance to redeem yourself, yet still you act like a total dumbass.

I mean, feels like I’m trying to reason with a third grader. Scrap that, that is an insult to third graders all around the world.

Is that supposed to alleviate my concerns?

On AI:
"The smart pistol is an easy way to rack up some effortless kills."

On Players:
"And that keeps it from being ludicrously overpowered. You need for all the targeting reticles to lock on which takes a second or two, which is fully long enough for them to mow you do with their bigger, badder primary weapon."

Oh good, classic rock-paper-scissors. Against AI: auto-win. Against Players: auto-lose. That's good balance right there.

Look, I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but at this point things are stacking against the game more and more for me.

I guess I don't understand how you can say ,"Killing real players is much, much harder" and not be commenting on the skillful aspect of it. To me, the difficulty of killing a player should be directly correlated with the skill required to do it (unfortunately, developers don't hold this same view). I'm not calling you out or anything, just commenting on my perspective.

You are not alone. The game looks fun but the more details that come out the more it is a little concerning ...to a Halo player anyway.

I still need that ridiculous statue tho.

Nowise10

A spare grav hammer? Is that it or do you have to do something for it? (not that I'm belittling your contribution, I doubt I'd have the patience to find them).

Their is a way to spawn a secret Gravity Hammer at the ending of the mission. I'll post the video I created for it once its done uploadin'.

Omni

Does that even count as an easter egg?

I remember in Halo 2 (namely because I just finished it again a few weeks ago) that there are quite a few random weapon stashes on levels. Not anything special.
Man, Halo 4 'easter eggs' are so dull.

Nebula

Does the Grav Hammer feature anywhere else in the campaign? I'm guess it's special because the campaign doesn't feature any Brutes?

Mistel

Banned
Their is a way to spawn a secret Gravity Hammer at the ending of the mission. I'll post the video I created for it once its done uploadin'.
Ooh I like those videos, you're pretty much responsible for me knowing the campaign easter eggs :).

Halo 4 easter eggs are lame.
They do suck, one doesn't work I think it's on the second level, you go back some elites spawn and thats about it.

Here is my video tutorial on how to activate the Gravity Hammer easter egg on Midnight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zBL0jpr9rw

Like someone else said, 10 minutes prior, their is a ammo room where a Gravity Hammer is already located. I'm not sure what the though process was behind this easter egg, but whatever.

A 20 use Gravity hammer is kinda neat but I dont remember how much uses have the default gravity hammer in halo 4 vs 5 shots Incinerator cannon

Nebula

No, I wanted to be shown skillful firefights.

You actually wanted to see if the Smart Pistol was difficult to kill players with. At least in the post I replied to anyway.

Either way you're looking in the wrong place. The moment a bunch of Ex-COD devs said they were making a game should have been the only sign you needed about the direction TitanFall would end up going.

Well here you go anyway.

I only used Halo because it's something everyone here knows about. 343 said that spawning with plasma pistols and sticky nades would be fine in BTB. They said not being able to drop the flag would be fine. And then other things like sprint/flinch/perks etc were written off because people were saying the game was great after playing it. Only a small few were voicing concerns after their time with it.

Same thing is happening with TitanFall with these dumbass Burn Cards. But I guess we'll just have to wait until the honeymoon phase is over for people to realize that.

Mistel

Banned
Dark souls 2 has a mace and shield that look like they have flood biomass goop:
1508576_612741695465545_211027486_n.jpg

I can't figure out the intentions behind that hammer easter egg at all, it just seems so pointless to me :/.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
Thought this was full of all sorts of bullshit:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/12/540...l-beta-preview

So they're adding randomness and think Halo is too difficult for players. What a load of crud. Clear example of bullshit reasoning to include superfluous gameplay elements.

"They really came out of trying to find a way to do power-ups in the game," Emslie said, "but not do it in a way where pro gamers could come in and dominated the environment, by knowing the exact way start a match, wreck everybody as fast as possible, get all the power-ups and griefing everyone."

Facepalm.

So being good at a game is griefing. I don't understand how they can brand this game as competitive yet have this mindset. The two are completely contradictory.

I'm not disappointed as I fully expected this from Titanfall as soon as I saw the similarities to CoD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom