• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havoc2049

Probably an old topic... But seeing as I've only started playing again for the first time in 8 months or so.

Is it me or is the SAW waaaaaay overpowered at the moment? I've seen people take out Manti[?] with it. The range is crazy and it feels like as soon as they see you, your shields are already down.... Making it pretty much impossible to outshoot them with a BR or something. Seems like there is no real downside to the weapon

The Mantis (Titanfall..phft..lol)

I love the SAW...very satisfying at short range combat. Good secondary weapon to compliment the BR or DMR.

BTW...for everyone who is getting Titanfall on the X360 or X1, the Microsoft Store has a deal where you get a $10 Xbox gift card with purchase.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
8981db53a2a0b1ead70060f75560ee01.jpg

Game Of Thrones Valentines by Chris Bishop.
This is way, way too cute.

Thought this was full of all sorts of bullshit:

Burn Cards

The collectible cards in Titanfall, called Burn Cards, unlock as players level up. They'll grant players special, limited-use abilities, like the option to shave off 40 seconds from your titan's build time, to inflict extra damage in a titan or an experience multiplier. Players can also play Burn Cards for effects like faster running speed or an amped version of a weapon. Play with a particular weapon frequently, for example, and you might unlock an amplifier card that makes that weapon perform better.

Fukuda said Burn Cards were inspired by the desire to add some randomness to the game and partly the idea of Respawn's "Mackey" McCandlish, who he described as a big Magic the Gathering fan.

Burn Cards are also a measure that helps to level the playing field for all players, according to Emslie, not just seasoned Titanfall players.

"They really came out of trying to find a way to do power-ups in the game," Emslie said, "but not do it in a way where pro gamers could come in and dominated the environment, by knowing the exact way start a match, wreck everybody as fast as possible, get all the power-ups and griefing everyone."

Players will earn Burn Cards through gameplay, through successfully evacuating a level during Titanfall match epilogues, "rodeoing" a titan or hacking enemy AI units, among other challenges, Emslie said. They're collectible rewards earned through play, not purchasable through microtransactions.

"The goal is to make them feel collectible," Emslie said, likening them to "favors" from the upper echelons of factions in which players do battle in Titanfall.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/12/540...l-beta-preview

So they're adding randomness and think Halo is too difficult for players. What a load of crud. Clear example of bullshit reasoning to include superfluous gameplay elements.

Computer

So they're adding randomness and think Halo is too difficult for players. What a load of crud. Clear example of bullshit reasoning to include superfluous gameplay elements.

This was not in the Alpha when I played. This is depressing. I don't understand the need to add stupid shit to a game in hopes of helping people that suck at the game. It never works and ends up making game play worse for everyone. The whole point of a game is to be a fun, entertaining challenge. Play, practice, get better. Stop this madness developers.
When I think of a developer trying to balance a game towards casual players I think of a dog chasing its own tail.

Mistel

Banned
It is bad I don't think randomness levels the playing field at all. It makes it far more uneven so saying otherwise is not fair.

What was that quote from a respawn dev someone posted here about?

At this point, it's only a matter of 'when' for PAX's first alcohol poisoning death.

[/soapbox]
If it is as bad as you say then that is a likely outcome.

Why does any developer even bother with multiple guns anymore if they're never going to act in a consistent way? Jesus christ.

"hey what is the most gun in this game"

" X weapon (the one it can shoot faster)"

Then everyone use the same weapon for the entire game life cicle.

FyreWulff

I mean just save yourself the money, make one gun with super detail on it, then your perk cards and streakbilities randomly change how the weapon functions. Save everyone the time of learning gun silhouettes and roles.

All this drinking stuff makes me miss Passport-Lars. He has been a great drinking partner to all of you. Rest in piece to you, Passport-Lars!

A bunch of nerds far away from their parents, and all you have to do is go down the hallway of the Sheraton and knock on a door. 50/50 chance it's a party, and nobody is actually making sure people are of age. Or people getting fucking Everclear and drinking that.

At this point, it's only a matter of 'when' for PAX's first alcohol poisoning death.

[/soapbox]
Woah! Is PAX the only public event(ala festival-like), you ever have attended? It is like this nearly at every festival. So yeah. grow up, stuff happens everywhere.

Fuchsdh

I dunno about you guys, but that sounds like far more randomness than the vast majority of Halo 4's tact and support effects. How long do the Titans usually take to spawn?

BigShow36

Titanfail has always been a big question mark for me, and the more I see of it the less interested I become. I haven't seen anything that indicates that its a skill-based shooter, just a bunch of robots, explosions and double jumps. While the movement seems like it adds a nice element, that's about it.

Also, it has a pistol that automatically headshots everyone for you. No thanks.

TheOddOne

Titanfail has always been a big question mark for me, and the more I see of it the less interested I become. I haven't seen anything that indicates that its a skill-based shooter, just a bunch of robots, explosions and double jumps. While the movement seems like it adds a nice element, that's about it.

The pistol headshots AI grunts, killing real players is much, much harder.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

"Titanfail"

People do this? Come on Big Show, you're above that. :p

BigShow36

Uh, that took a weird turn for no reason. Titanfall is a run-and-gun game, it is what is.

That's not a weird turn, you were implying that the pistol isn't an issue because killing actual players is difficult. Show me.

Run-and-gun games should be more skillful than stop-and-pop games, not used as an excuse to throw gunplay out the window. I would argue that Halo CE is a run-and-gun game, and it's the most skill-based console shooter of all time.

TheOddOne

That's not a weird turn, you were implying that the pistol isn't an issue because killing actual players is difficult. Show me.

Run-and-gun games should be more skillful than stop-and-pop games, not used as an excuse to throw gunplay out the window. I would argue that Halo CE is a run-and-gun game, and it's the most skill-based console shooter of all time.
I was not even commenting on the skillful aspect, so it does come out of left field for me.

Here is Jeff for Giantbomb playing with the pistol.

BigShow36

Is that supposed to alleviate my concerns?

On AI:
"The smart pistol is an easy way to rack up some effortless kills."

On Players:
"And that keeps it from being ludicrously overpowered. You need for all the targeting reticles to lock on which takes a second or two, which is fully long enough for them to mow you do with their bigger, badder primary weapon."

Oh good, classic rock-paper-scissors. Against AI: auto-win. Against Players: auto-lose. That's good balance right there.

Look, I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but at this point things are stacking against the game more and more for me.

I was not even commenting on the skillful aspect, so it does come out of left field for me.

I guess I don't understand how you can say ,"Killing real players is much, much harder" and not be commenting on the skillful aspect of it. To me, the difficulty of killing a player should be directly correlated with the skill required to do it (unfortunately, developers don't hold this same view). I'm not calling you out or anything, just commenting on my perspective.

I mean just save yourself the money, make one gun with super detail on it, then your perk cards and streakbilities randomly change how the weapon functions. Save everyone the time of learning gun silhouettes and roles.
Isn't this just CoD? The number of weapons in that game is a lie; it's all a ruse!

animaclaw.gif

Sounds like the CE Pistol, amirite?!
</3 Frankie
More like Dumbly Cyclone.
I guess I don't understand how you can say ,"Killing real players is much, much harder" and not be commenting on the skillful aspect of it.
lmfao BigShow on a rampage; I love it.

So apparently it's not very competitive but that doesn't mean it won't be fun for most players. It doesn't even seem to be pretending it can be played really competitively, so it doesn't really bother me all that much, but I was never expecting it to be a Halo replacement either.

I can't grow a beard. Not that I would need to do so to drink (and it would look disturbing), I'm 22! Very old.

However, if I go to Pax Prime this year — which seems to heavily depend on if I get a job and if I can take off work — I wouldn't drink cause I don't like alcohol.

Oh, jeez I'm gonna have to find a job. :|

inkls

So apparently it's not very competitive but that doesn't mean it won't be fun for most players. It doesn't even seem to be pretending it can be played really competitively, so it doesn't really bother me all that much, but I was never expecting it to be a Halo replacement either.

Sure it looks fun, a game isn't required to be competitive to be successful, but what will keep the game fun and/or lasting? What tells you the game won't be a grindfest?

Sure it looks fun, a game isn't required to be competitive to be successful, but what will keep the game fun and/or lasting? What tells you the game won't be a grindfest?
Unlocks. Yaaaay

Welcome to modern shooter design, which is unfortunate for competitive players. As to whether Titanfall specifically is a grindfest or not I don't really have an opinion.

inkls

Unlocks. Yaaaay

Welcome to modern shooter design, which is unfortunate for competitive players. As to whether Titanfall specifically is a grindfest or not I don't really have an opinion.

Unlocks makes the game last longer because it makes you chase a carrot? Don't see how thats fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom