• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

Hey guys, I needed to ask a quick question.

Got Halo 2 working just fine, and I'm getting constant headaches. Is there a mod or something to change the FOV?
Try to find my post about the DSfix stuff. I put a fov mod in there.

Only works in windowed mode but if you enable border less window mode via dsfix there is no difference from full screen.

Chettlar

Banned
Try to find my post about the DSfix stuff. I put a fov mod in there.

Only works in windowed mode but if you enable border less window mode via dsfix there is no difference from full screen.

So like the game works perfectly for me (after forcing Vsync in the Nvidia control panel) n stuff. Adding windowed mode via DSfix made it act really weird, like covering the whole screen, but putting hud and menu in the top left hand corner, either all squished or 3 quarters of it off the screen. Plus, changing the rendered resolution didn't seem to do anything to jaggies and whatnot, so I'm not sure that it was working.

It works great if I just run it normally though. I finally fixed my computer's random crashing though! So I might try DSfix again. Main question I had about that was, which files do you dump where? Like do you just grab everything in the unzipped folder and dump it into the main "halo 2" folder in program files?

Omni

Camo snipers man. Some fucker just killed me at least 7 times. He was smart too. Each time he'd kill me he would move just enough so when I come looking for him, he had the advantage.

Doesn't Titanfall have active camo for players? Pretty sure I saw a stream with it. From now on I actively refuse to buy a game that allows players to go invisible on a whim. It's crazy.

Madness

Camo snipers man. Some fucker just killed me at least 7 times. He was smart too. Each time he'd kill me he would move just enough so when I come looking for him, he had the advantage.

Doesn't Titanfall have active camo for players? Pretty sure I saw a stream with it. From now on I actively refuse to buy a game that allows players to go invisible on a whim. It's crazy.

Dude camo sniping is still sniping. I bet the majority of the population would rather camo snipe than snipe normally. You're a niche player now, having the ability to go invisible adds versatility and skill to the game. Otherwise sniping normally would just be boring when you can see where everyone snipes from. Having a little randomness doesn't hurt.

Dude camo sniping is still sniping. I bet the majority of the population would rather camo snipe than snipe normally. You're a niche player now, having the ability to go invisible adds versatility and skill to the game. Otherwise sniping normally would just be boring when you can see where everyone snipes from. Having a little randomness doesn't hurt.

Please tell me you are joking?

How does it add versatility and skill?

How is normal sniping boring?

belushy

Banned
So like the game works perfectly for me (after forcing Vsync in the Nvidia control panel) n stuff. Adding windowed mode via DSfix made it act really weird, like covering the whole screen, but putting hud and menu in the top left hand corner, either all squished or 3 quarters of it off the screen. Plus, changing the rendered resolution didn't seem to do anything to jaggies and whatnot, so I'm not sure that it was working.

It works great if I just run it normally though. I finally fixed my computer's random crashing though! So I might try DSfix again. Main question I had about that was, which files do you dump where? Like do you just grab everything in the unzipped folder and dump it into the main "halo 2" folder in program files?

Do you mean this?

R3Lquy9.png

If so, here is Monkey's fix, because the same thing happened to me. Worked fine after that.

Enable windowed mode in the game and don't enable it via dsfix. Also disable anti-ailsing in game.

(Don't force v sync either)

wwm0nkey

Disable in-game AA and also don't force vsync, use dsfix to unlock your FPS and you can choose what your threshold is (mine is unlocked to 120fps)

For some reason Halo 2 just used whatever your machine had if you don't put some kind of cap on it, so my 470 gtx was pulling like 700fps which heated that thing FAST.

Jurassic Park gaf- first pictures of the Jurassic World set under construction in Hawaii!

animepaper-netscan-standard-preview-video-games-metal-gear-solid-big-boss-salute-69109-umbrae12-b9e7b9ad.jpg

You look better with a beard, I wasn't even sure they were the same person at first glance.

Err halo?

I know, it is a sad loss for myself. I'm trying to sneak some scruff back in, hopefully work allows it.

also
Im not sure if someone here linked me to this article, but man it was really good. I enjoyed hearing about the nitty gritty from the actual art/tech guys for once

We all knew that linearity was forced to keep fidelity high, ofcourse we want open-er world but I am still impressed with the graphics they squeezed out of that old rock

I think this was posted before, but even so it is really awesome stuff!

Oh people don't have Ozzie on ignore? I could've sworn these two ctf posts went unchecked less than 48 hours ago

I'm also firmly in the mentality of no waypoint, no auto-pick up and allow dropping. However even with 75%+ of my ranked Halo 3 games in objective I can't ignore the population facts:

1. Halo 3 ranked objective declined, they tried CTF/assault, they tried KOTH and other varieties, they tried thorwback, they tried social and at the end of life objective declined. This is the very settings we all want back. It had great maps, 1-sided, no waypoint etc but the population became non existent. I feel this was more to do with quitting/cheating/host than the gamestypes themselves.

2. Reach objective population also dwindled and they tried new gametypes like headhunter or stockpile etc. You can't even find a game in Reach objective anymore. Again I prefer these settings over 4's but the stats don't lie. Quitting and cheating was upgraded to deal with the issues from 3, not 100% but solid efforts and gains were made in respect to this.

3. Halo 4 CTF specifically was reworked and has returned a mainstream population to CTF. It's still one of the more popular playlists and you can get games in it any time of the day, even when it's only 100-200 players at Aussie night times. You can also get full party matches and have some genuinely competitive experiences from those match ups.

So while I don't personally prefer the waypoint and all that I have to look at the facts over the life of objective since Halo 2, 3, Reach & 4 to realise what the populace will and won't play. Objective magnifies the slayer lopsided outcomes of randoms vs teams even more so, they needed to promote auto-teamwork in the face of this.

Just saying I don't care for these CTF settings is like burying your head in the sand given the history throughout Halo games. It's not being a 343i shill or mod bias, it's being realistic from an overview of the game and I've posted about such things while watching my most loved playlist(s) die horrible deaths since mid-life Halo 3.

Nope, Halo 4 is over 2 years old now as well. You're ignoring Reach/Ann altogether. Also ignoring the sheer volume of FPS competition out there from 3 to Reach and now 4, fps game releases is magnitudes higher since 3 launched vs Reach or 4's launch. Another point not being discussed in the diversity of objective playlist in Reach or 4, more choices and split populations to counter 3's social/ranked split e.g. ricochet, grifball, infection/flood etc.

I'm with you for settings, all the way but to ignore the population history is a mistake for future game development. I've been active at B.net on an older account since Halo 2 and my Ozzy account for 7 years. I participated in the matchmaking B.net threads, specifically objective ranked/social, I know what I'm on about here mate.

As much as I personally also want those maps and settings back (H2 & H3) I disagree just rehashing the same CTF or assault settings is going to return AND keep population for the next title over years after its release. I want those settings and I want players/teams to match against in ranked play. I don't see the old stuff doing that for years without being refreshed some way. Cases in point are the objective Halo 4 population over Reach's population or mid to end of life Halo 3 population.

It's quite clear, try asking Shiska or the 343i sustain team or view the old B.net threads about matchmaking feedback.

As for the latest discussion, no ozzy, not hyper competitive. Halo's 2 and 3 were not hyper competitive. They were easy to pick up games where everybody started with the same weapon, had the same shield recharge time, had the same reload time, had the same survivability in vehicles, had the same amount of descope when shot, spawned with the same amount of grenades and the grenades did the same amount of damage (I literally can't believe you can change grenade damage in halo 4 and there's no way of telling who had it equipped). Providing the map was symmetrical, everybody had an equal chance to grab camo; reach and 4 allow you to spawn with camo and if the opponents choose to do so, kill the game as an enjoyable experience.

And top one to three percent dominating everyone? Do they literally play the entire mm population every game and make it torrid for them? No, providing the trueskill parameters are strict enough (halo 3, elo for halo 2), they only play against the top three percent. That's the entire idea of MATCH making.

Mistel

Banned
I know, it is a sad loss for myself. I'm trying to sneak some scruff back in, hopefully work allows it.
Hopefully they let you, you look odd without one, why did you have to get rid of it?

As for Ozzy what henery said, I would have said that only a lot worse and very much more ditziness involved.

Duji

Here's a simplified response.

Many claim games developers follow the easy money. If arena FPS was such a bankable commodity, now or in the last 5 years, with such a large population ready at the waiting then at least one Indie or AAA studio would have produced it by now. At least attempted to produce it by now.

So why hasn't a pure 100% arena title made it back to #1 and dominated? I'll throw a HaloGAF kickstarter $250 if it ever got serious with competent minimal staff just to prove a point the industry developers already know. Why didn't MLG buying a game studio produce the next Halo or COD killer as an arena FPS?

Forget disproving me, prove your own arguments to be true.
But disproving you is so much fun!

Anyway, you are probably right to think the current arena shooter fan base isn't nearly as big as the modern FPS CoD/BF/TitanFall fan base. I don't think anyone disagrees with you there. But, and the big but here, is that there still remains a pretty big Halo fan base. Yes, Halo Reach and Halo 4's populations were pretty awful a year after they came out, but the thing is people will still buy the next Halo game. Each successive game manages to outsell the previous one in first week sales. The Halo franchise sells no matter what, so that's not the problem.

The problem is these newer Halo games can't sustain a decent population at all. Now why is that? Well, most of us would say it's because the move further away from the core concepts that made old school Halo great. Things like a ranking system people care about, equal starts, smaller maps, a clear concept of map control, and gameplay that flows smoothly. This change of direction is especially detrimental when coupled with the fact that many who buy the new games are long time fans whose favourite Halo games belong to the original trilogy.

Let's say we're in the 1980s and rock, pop, and disco are the most popular genres of music and jazz is pretty much dead. Everyone's favorite jazz musician of the 60s and 70s is still around, but for some reason he is producing disco albums. Most people give his new albums a listen or two and then sell their copies to their local record stores. The albums sell a ton regardless solely because of the musician's name being on them. The most vocal/hardcore fans almost unanimously agree that he should go back to his jazz roots and expand on them.

And then this guy named Ozzy comes along and very boldly says even fewer people would listen to this musician's albums if he went back to jazz. "Sticking to disco would be better," he insists. Ozzy bases the crux of his argument on the fact that jazz is no longer popular. He is absolutely right that jazz isn't popular anymore, but he ignores the big factor that this musician was one of the biggest and greatest jazz musicians of all time and still has a fairly dedicated fan base who want to hear some jazz again. For some reason he also doesn't consider the almost universal panning of this jazz legend's disco albums much of a problem either. This is because he is one of the few that actually enjoys them and it often gets in the way of his reasoning.

I hope I didn't make that analogy too hard to understand. So everything considered, it's best to look at this in terms of how Halo can succeed instead of how a first person shooter arena game can succeed. The real "bankable commodity" is Halo returning to its roots.

Blueblur1

We're nearly at the this month's halfway point. I hope H2A is real and does get announced at the end of it like ntkrnl said.

Also, today's NPD day, right? Can't wait. :)

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
So correct me if I'm wrong...y'all think a hyper competitive "balanced & very skilled" game, where the top 1-3% rule every outcome, is going to attract a massive following and retain them for years at a time?

Am I getting your Titanfall/Halo comments on the money here?

You bitch about population incessantly but concede nothing in game development or mechanics or player rewards to attract or retain "lesser" players. *shakes head

This a frustratingly stupid common argument. The top 1-3% should be playing each other within the top 5-10% or so. If players are matched by skill level then this is a complete non-issue. It worked very well in Halo 3.

I didn't see the multiplayer population drop by 97% in the first few months. By contrast Halo Reach and Halo 4 had a much harder time retaining players and they were more casual friendly.

Tawpgun

Bad opinion train made a stop in Australia I see.

Karl hit the nail on the head with your arguements mate. You're making a lot of weird and convoluted analogies that don't make sense. Almost Hamburger Gun tier.

Halo was the perfect storm because it scaled to your talent more than most other shooters.

Beginner players would be playing their AR Starts game modes, or stuff like Action Sack and Infection, and they'd be getting matched with other beginners.

Then they gradually got better at the game, found out what works, what doesn't, where weapons spawn. They start picking up the BR more because they know its a better, more versatile weapon in the right hands. Now they are an average/above average player. If they get more interested they will get more into a competetive community, watch some videos, or just keep playing and find out more advanced strategies.

And as you got better, you were matched similarly.

But now with the "casual friendly" Halo 4, you get the "pro" players abusing the mechanics that were meant to help the casual players to dong even further. And they get frustrated when a pro gets a sniper or rocket and they get a needler.

Randomness is only fun on the fringe gametypes. It infuriating for EVERYONE if the entire game is based around that model like Halo 4 was.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
Fixed that for you

@Duji - Soccer has many gametypes; without a regulation field or even goals e.g. families, kids and third world countries. There are pros/amateurs that are hired in bars in Melbourne during soccer season to show off their ball juggling skills alone, drills to practice, half courts, 5 a side, blah blah. Once again you fail to look at the overall game and the various modes it is played. I relate the overall game/modes to Halo and you cherry pick one example to support one claim. This is what I keep point out, none of those modes diminish the elite professional paid sport levels in anyway. The sport of soccer overall doesn't ridicule or remove all the other modes of play, they have a tiered system to create the upper echelons of competitiveness. I haven't even entered into derivatives like indoor soccer or beach soccer either. Your points are biased, fact.

Anyhow stay on the 1% train and never discuss anything game design related away from that. I'm sure that will work out for the next 10 years of Halo just fine.

For gods sake. 99% of soccer games from playing friendly 5 a side with your mates in the park to the premier league are played with the same fundamental rules. The only things that vary are number of players, size of pitch and length of time played as a matter of practicality.

Randomness has no place in standard gametypes.

Yes playing random weapon spawns in Halo made for fun games but not all the time. I don't like the idea of these cards in Titanfall, If i get the jump on someone with the same weapon and they kill me because they have a card turned on it's going to lead to frustration.

• Randomness goes in random gametypes (Action Sack).
  • Skill designation/placement and strict rules go in competitive gametypes (everything not Action Sack).
  • Don't cater to people who need a reward at every turn to justify their gaming time

seems like a decent recipe for a long lasting FPS, but what the hell do I know.

Chettlar

Banned
Do you mean this?

If so, here is Monkey's fix, because the same thing happened to me. Worked fine after that.

Yes, I did mean that, thanks.

Disable in-game AA and also don't force vsync, use dsfix to unlock your FPS and you can choose what your threshold is (mine is unlocked to 120fps)

For some reason Halo 2 just used whatever your machine had if you don't put some kind of cap on it, so my 470 gtx was pulling like 700fps which heated that thing FAST.

I did use dsfix to unlock my FPS and then locked it at 60. It still stuttered really badly. The only thing to get it to stop was forced vsync. I'll try it again and report back what happened.

But still, just to be sure, exactly how and where do I put the files?

Destiny has a personal vehicle for the player:
shrike_concept.jpg

It's called a shrike.

Kinda looks like something from titanfall as far as colors go.

FyreWulff

It's possible to make it hard for griefing to occur without giving one team win buttons.

I mean, think of the end logic. Burn cards, from the words of the developer, are to introduce randomness and counter an organized team being able to come in steamroll.

.. but, the organized team also gets random burn cards.

Which lets them grief even harder, because instead of treating the disease, you're trying to treat the symptoms.

Destiny has a personal vehicle for the player:
shrike_concept.jpg

It's called a shrike.

I am choosing to pronounce this as "shriek" because it sounds neater as a callback to the Ghost

I don't understand what was wrong with selling several million copies per release. I don't understand why Microsoft/Bungie/343 thought it would be in this franchise's best interest to make the gameplay sluggish and more random with each release. And I really don't understand how 343, seeing ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL these mistakes made by Bungie for over a decade can continue down the same path of misery for their fans......

Who was demanding a massive increase in aim assist and slower gameplay from CE to Halo 2?
Who was demanding more inconsistencies in the weapon sandbox (while making vehicles even stronger lol) and even slower gameplay from Halo 2 to Halo 3?
Who was demanding to throw in loadouts and the path towards CoD from Halo 3 to Reach?
Who was demanding that with a new company and after years of fan cries that they continue even further down that CoD path and not taking that first opportunity to right all the wrongs?

WHO?! Who do I have to cut? It's like they see everything the fans love and do the opposite. No improvements to Matchmaking since Halo 2. No increase in gameplay speed until Halo 4. Our words don't matter.. only cold stats on some spreadsheet do.
I don't think I'll get bored of making these posts until an unquestionably legit Halo is released.

Mistel

Banned
Kinda looks like something from titanfall as far as colors go.
You do know that those colors haven't just been used in titanfall? like in district nine for example?

So much of Destiny's concept art reminds me of 70s and early 80s sci-fi illustration.
It does, I'm surprised no one posted a speeder bike picture as it looks like one. It's upgradeable as well through the game.

So to those that go to Pax Prime, if I were to plan on going to the 2014, how much money should I have, roughly? Or at least how much are you guys looking to price the trip at?

Outside of flight costs I should probably get a number in my head to start setting money aside.

I don't understand what was wrong with selling several million copies per release. I don't understand why Microsoft/Bungie/343 thought it would be in this franchise's best interest to make the gameplay sluggish and more random with each release. And I really don't understand how 343, seeing ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL these mistakes made by Bungie for over a decade can continue down the same path of misery for their fans......

Who was demanding a massive increase in aim assist and slower gameplay from CE to Halo 2?
Who was demanding more inconsistencies in the weapon sandbox (while making vehicles even stronger lol) and even slower gameplay from Halo 2 to Halo 3?
Who was demanding to throw in loadouts and the path towards CoD from Halo 3 to Reach?
Who was demanding that with a new company and after years of fan cries that they continue even further down that CoD path and not taking that first opportunity to right all the wrongs?

WHO?! Who do I have to cut? It's like they see everything the fans love and do the opposite. No improvements to Matchmaking since Halo 2. No increase in gameplay speed until Halo 4. Our words don't matter.. only cold stats on some spreadsheet do.
I don't think I'll get bored of making these posts until an unquestionably legit Halo is released.

Halo 3 didn't go no COD path,you realize Halo 3 released already before COD 4 did right? COD didn't go to another level till COD 4 released so how will anyone know to copy them?

Halo 3 didn't go no COD path,you realize Halo 3 released already before COD 4 did right? COD didn't go to another level till COD 4 released so how will anyone know to copy them?
You read that wrong. "Who was demanding to throw in loadouts and the path towards CoD from Halo 3 to Reach?" As in, from the period after Halo 3 released and during the design of Reach, who was asking for CoD elements to be added?

I know you didn't really consider me making a mistake like that.. right? We all need to start considering the posters' history (both post history and history with this franchise) before we assume things like this; it's a big problem (communication skills) around here.

Similar to that discussion we had a couple weeks ago about Halo 4 having decent gunplay despite all the fluff and unnecessary mechanic changes (flinch, no descope, etc.). It should've been a given that no one would be including those things when complimenting H4.

BigShow36

So correct me if I'm wrong...y'all think a hyper competitive "balanced & very skilled" game, where the top 1-3% rule every outcome, is going to attract a massive following and retain them for years at a time?

Am I getting your Titanfall/Halo comments on the money here?

No, a "balanced & very skilled" game where the ability, actions, decisions, and reactions of a player determine the outcome will attract a massive following and retain them for years provided the game is well made. A proper skill curve also allows a proper ranking system to work, leading to better matching of players.

Let me ask you a question; what do you think should determine the outcome of a game that matches players against other players?

You bitch about population incessantly but concede nothing in game development or mechanics or player rewards to attract or retain "lesser" players. *shakes head

Those exact concessions are what got us where we are with Halo. Do you know what really attracts and retains new players? Accessibility in a fun environment. The issue is that developers mistake accessibility with low-skill, which is a fallacy. True accessibility comes from predictability ; do things react in a manner consistent with my experience and expectations? Can I see a clear path to improvement, can I control my environment and my inputs? That's what brings in and retains new players. Simple-yet-deep.

Developers don't need concessions for new players, they need to be smarter about how they present the game to new players.

@Duji - Soccer has many gametypes; without a regulation field or even goals e.g. families, kids and third world countries. There are pros/amateurs that are hired in bars in Melbourne during soccer season to show off their ball juggling skills alone, drills to practice, half courts, 5 a side, blah blah. Once again you fail to look at the overall game and the various modes it is played. I relate the overall game/modes to Halo and you cherry pick one example to support one claim. This is what I keep point out, none of those modes diminish the elite professional paid sport levels in anyway. The sport of soccer overall doesn't ridicule or remove all the other modes of play, they have a tiered system to create the upper echelons of competitiveness. I haven't even entered into derivatives like indoor soccer or beach soccer either. Your points are biased, fact.

Anyhow stay on the 1% train and never discuss anything game design related away from that. I'm sure that will work out for the next 10 years of Halo just fine.

The core of all those games is still the mechanics of soccer. Ball Juggling is a part of soccer that focuses on a very limited subset of skills, but the mechanics are exactly the same. Beach soccer and indoor soccer still support the skills of soccer. Every popular side-game of soccer is popular because, just like soccer, the result is determined by the dexterity, strategy and skill of participants.

None of those "modes" of soccer diminish the elite professional paid sport level because professional level soccer is maintained as the standard, not the other way around. You don't have the MLS forcing US soccer teams to draw random cards every 10 minutes because junior league soccer thinks it adds more fun. For some reason though, game developers seem to think that's the way it should be.

The issue we all have with these "concessions" to lower-skill players is that it directly impacts the core mechanics of the game to the point where it obfuscates the ability, actions, decisions, and reactions of a player. I want an accessible game with a deep skill gap that draws in players of every level, challenging them to improve, to engage, to have fun competing. It's not as impossible as everyone seems to think. Instead I get games that insult me as a player to the point where I have absolutely no desire to continue playing and, from the looks of population numbers, a lot of other players feel the same way.

You read that wrong. "Who was demanding to throw in loadouts and the path towards CoD from Halo 3 to Reach?" As in, from the period after Halo 3 released and during the design of Reach, who was asking for CoD elements to be added?

Reach really didn't have any Call of Duty elements. The closest thing was loadouts based on gametype, but that's reaching. Halo 4 was the first time we saw a big impact from CoD imo.

As much as I'm for classic Halo gameplay, I'm not convinced it would attract the number of players Halo 3 did in its peak years.

I think Halo just lost its popularity over the years to games like CoD and FIFA.

FyreWulff

The thing about Reach, though, is that even with the loadouts, everyone had the same exact loadouts. Later on in Bungie's run, they were starting to be used more for choosing what AA you wanted to use than an actual loadout in the CoD sense - the only gametype left that treated them like CoD loadouts was Elite Slayer.

They also had the ability to go "that didn't work out" and remove a broken AA entirely from certain gametypes, which is what they were starting to do before the 343 handoff.

And it was entirely possible to remove them completely without a TU. Reach was one gametype change away from removing all AAs and having no Sprint.

As much as I'm for classic Halo gameplay, I'm not convinced it would attract the number of players Halo 3 did in its peak years.

I think Halo just lost its popularity over the years to games like CoD and FIFA.

It totally can. What happens when you try to imitate CoD, though, is you're no longer unique and everyone leaves after the first week your game is out to go play the game that is better at being CoD than you were.

I agree, but we'll never know for sure unless we try, and at the very least, we'll have a game that we as a community enjoy.

I like Ozzy posting here because we get to read well-constructed posts more often.
Reach really didn't have any Call of Duty elements. The closest thing was loadouts based on gametype, but that's reaching. Halo 4 was the first time we saw a big impact from CoD imo.
To me, Reach felt very much like CoD in its presentation and touching the surface with its gameplay design, although definitely not as much as H4:
  • Art style was noticeably more gritty, muddy and militaristic.
  • A lot more customization for your Spartan. Reminded me of gun customization except Halo obviously shouldn't have that, so the next best thing was for Spartans. It felt weird to customize so many things like the brim on the helmets, etc..
  • Campaign had more "interactive" moments. Vignettes.
  • Loadouts in general.
  • Trying to force more team coordination through vastly different loadout options (ie: Invasion).
  • Design of Matchmaking with challenges, credits, EXP system, removal of traditional ranking system, etc.
  • The list goes on.

Again, not as drastic as the perks and full customization of loadouts in H4, but still very much CoD-inspired IMO. Not trying to get into a "which game was more influenced by CoD" debate, but just wanted to throw it out there that we shouldn't be complimenting Reach just because it had some sense of "Halo" in it. Shit, in that case Halo 4 had just as much "Halo" in its design as Reach, it's just that it took the CoD elements deeper.
Sprint, challenges, loadouts, AAs are kinda like perks.
Yeah.

It totally can. What happens when you try to imitate CoD, though, is you're no longer unique and everyone leaves after the first week your game is out to go play the game that is better at being CoD than you were.

That's true, but the question remains whether people really still want to play Halo multiplayer, classic or 343's vision of it.

I agree, but we'll never know for sure unless we try, and at the very least, we'll have a game that we as a community enjoy.

That's another reason why I'm really hoping all the rumors are true. There's no way we could lose (if gameplay remains largely unchanged).

To be fair sprint was at least only a AA,challenges are not gameplay effective. AA are perks but they kept it minimal and none were like COD perks such as faster reload,etc.

That's kind of how I feel. Sure you could relate them to perks, but you never had to play 20 matches and earn 20,000XP to use jetpack.

Fifa has been popular for years even during Halo 2 or 3. You realize Halo 3 was still topping COD 4 right? It was when Reach released that it lost steam and what happened? They altered things that messed with the formula a bit. It's not a coincidence that the numbers went down when that happened. It's a fact that the Halo formula from the original trilogy never went down,it only went up.

FyreWulff

That's true, but the question remains whether people really still want to play Halo multiplayer, classic or 343's vision of it.

I don't see why not. More FPSes need to do their own thing instead of chasing the tails of other games. CoD has been Maddenized at this point; their multiplayer makes minor changes from game to game, but remains largely the same. Nobody goes through a hard shock from one CoD to the next.

To get a bit philosophical, if you keep trying to be the NFL/Madden, you're not going to be much more than the XFL, a fun diversion while everyone waits for the next season to start. If you make a game that's unique, then people have a reason to play you in addition to the other guys, because you actually offer something different and unique than being Great Value Shootbang.

You can do unlockable gun skins, armor, and all that fun stuff and keep the core gameplay intact. Feed the people that go crazy for unlocking stuff with cosmetics only. People that just want to play the game and don't care won't be affected.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Fifa has been popular for years even during Halo 2 or 3. You realize Halo 3 was still topping COD 4 right? It was when Reach released that it lost steam and what happened? They altered things that messed with the formula a bit. It's not a coincidence that the numbers went down when that happened. It's a fact that the Halo formula from the original trilogy never went down,it only went up.

It's very logical to assume that Halo has lost a bit of steam, though. The market wasn't near as crowded when Halo was at it's peak. No doubt Reach and 4 changes pushed some of the community away, but other games also can be attributed to pulling some people away. Just look at the competitive multiplayer (and even co-op multiplayer) game scene nowadays compared to Halo 2 in its prime, completely different and much, much more crowded.

It's a combination of many more options and series changes that's put Halo where it is today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom