• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
jHuJAZL9rEW72.png

VIDEOGAMES.

Look for the one whe she exposed her vag plate.

What a coincidence... :p

Gpdqe3Z.jpg

Why do chimps needs tribal marks on their faces anyway.

Mistel

Banned
Though that was the Didact or some Forerunner.

I'm glad someone else thought that as well

Which Warthog? EMP stun is terrible, just like it was for adding a stun and lock-in for hijacking a vehicle, introducing a Spartan Laser to counter OP vehicles, and bringing in the Banshee bomb. Things like that killed BTB to me.
Map design and gametype mechanics are another issue.

Pre reach turret warthog before the introduction of the heat build up function
all the mounted turrets as well
is what funkown is talking about I think.

Hijacking lock in really depends on the vehicle maybe an extension of the re hijack window would be a welcome edition or being able to melee the boarder whilst in a hog.

I think the Spartan laser was a good design choice as only a direct hit kills vehicles some survive a glancing hit, the fast travel time is helpful for a longer range anti vehicle weapon to exist in the sand box.

The banshee bomb I agree with it is quite detrimental to vehicular combat it shouldn't be used in multiplayer human air vehicles are more balanced in combat.

The grenade launcher emp function was quite helpful for hijacking vehicles much more so than the plasma pistol which you could avoid with speed or terrain in reach.

Fuchsdh

On the positive side, there's two characters in the panel and Sarah "CWIMSON" Palmer isn't the worst written in it!

Ok, and I say this as one of the most nitpicky bastards on this forum, you guys are being waay too nitpicky.

NPD numbers
Banbait Extravanganza 2013
are coming out soon right?

I'm not much of a comics guy but take the CGI scenes from 4/SPOPS and render still frames from those to produce a comic and I'd buy that. Why not?All the art assets are ready to go e.g. environments, characters, textures, motion blurring, objects, canon, ships, weapons, effects etc. Even all the character dimensions, aesthetics, continuity is straight out of the bag.

Seems pretty straight forward to me. Just ask Axis to put still visuals to a script. Bam.

Why not use the in engine real time game then apply some nice manual overlays or filters? Again I'd buy that based on detail alone.

Ok, and I say this as one of the most nitpicky bastards on this forum, you guys are being waay too nitpicky.

NPD numbers
Banbait Extravanganza 2013
are coming out soon right?

I don't think the art is particularly bad in this panel. The dialogue is just kind of awkward.

1 weird panel =/= a bad comic to me.

I don't think the art is particularly bad in this panel. The dialogue is just kind of awkward.

Every panel posted here is weird, though. Even IGN is saying iss no gud:

The artwork is also a weak point of the series right now. Ariño is apt enough at capturing the distinctive architecture and technology of the Halo universe, but his figures are flat and lacking in emotion. The action is often framed oddly and with poor use of perspective. For example, an early action scene sees Palmer kick a Covenant warrior down a cliff, but the panel makes it seem as though the warrior is instead standing on a ledge above her. Also, I'd like to see a richer color palette that can better capture the otherworldly quality of the Covenant and Promethean technology.

Because there are certain things that "work" in a video game that don't "work" in a "badass" comic, or any story for that matter.

I think a Danger Room situation could work just fine, but "CAPTURE THE FLAG!" and Corinne Yu's hubby being art director for it aren't going to yield a terrific product.

Hell, RvB Season 10 had some interesting Danger Room scenarios and all it did was have some holographic targets.

Mistel

Banned

Based on the 3 panels we have: arbiter, war games and the Spartan ops joke one I think your judgement is well placed.

I understand the it will never be completely perfect but those three panels would dissuade me from purchase, due to the low art quality and Spartan ops writing team on dialogue duty.

It pales in comparison to other graphic novels and comics done previously like bloodlines or the halo graphic novel.

Edit: Corrine husband was art director for halo 4 I didn't know that. What else had he worked on?

I'm not much of a comics guy but take the CGI scenes from 4/SPOPS and render still frames from those to produce a comic and I'd buy that. Why not?All the art assets are ready to go e.g. environments, characters, textures, motion blurring, objects, canon, ships, weapons, effects etc. Even all the character dimensions, aesthetics, continuity is straight out of the bag.

Seems pretty straight forward to me. Just ask Axis to put still visuals to a script. Bam.

Why not use the in engine real time game then apply some nice manual overlays or filters? Again I'd buy that based on detail alone.
Some fans did the exact thing using the scenes and made a comic out of it.

I see what you mean. Would be awesome if they did do that for halo comics. But wouldn't they be losing money though? Paying Artists & Animators just to capture scenes and paste them into a comic/graphic novel??? Better yet do a web series or animated movie with all that content ready to go

heckfu

Banned
I want to say something but not have it come across as super rude or angry, etc. Just a thought process.

I have no interest in Palmer or Lasky or literally anyone else besides the chief's main story. It just never gripped me and now I can firmly tell you that I have no idea how they fit in the story.

Halo 4 was still fun for me, but the story wasn't nearly as good as the originals with the prophets and arbiter. Sorry to actually talk about Halo.

Mistel

Banned
I'm just trying to figure out where that warthog came from. It's so dinky looking I guess they photoshopped a toy or something? As it is my mind's eye is seeing Kermit the Frog on the turret for some reason.

It is a reach warthog toy I think MacFarlane made one. Kermit is a highly trained super soldier who's driving though.

As for the green screen thing Ragnarok Flames I have an idea but there is nothing I can do with the footage as I don't know how to.

I want to say something but not have it come across as super rude or angry, etc. Just a thought process.

I have no interest in Palmer or Lasky or literally anyone else besides the chief's main story. It just never gripped me and now I can firmly tell you that I have no idea how they fit in the story.

Halo 4 was still fun for me, but the story wasn't nearly as good as the originals with the prophets and arbiter. Sorry to actually talk about Halo.

I can understand that. I can also understand that 343 wants to introduce some more supporting characters in the universe, since most of them were killed in Halo 3 (i.e. Sgt. Johnson and Miranda Keyes)

Ghazi

They won't be doing Chief forever, I'm sure. At some point, just like the gameplay, they'll probably want to start something of their own and I have this feeling Palmer was supposed to be that and introduced in H4. I feel confident we're going to end up playing as Palmer within the next two games, I just can't see them sticking to only Chief.

Fuchsdh

They won't be doing Chief forever, I'm sure. At some point, just like the gameplay, they'll probably want to start something of their own and I have this feeling Palmer was supposed to be that and introduced in H4. I feel confident we're going to end up playing as Palmer within the next two games, I just can't see them sticking to only Chief.

To me Thorne seems like a better candidate. He's more likeable, and not in command (so Palmer and co. can boss you around/act like Cortana).

Some fans did the exact thing using the scenes and made a comic out of it.

I see what you mean. Would be awesome if they did do that for halo comics. But wouldn't they be losing money though? Paying Artists & Animators just to capture scenes and paste them into a comic/graphic novel??? Better yet do a web series or animated movie with all that content ready to go

I doubt it, all the animation rigs are there already and because the final comics are all still frames it's really just posing rather than mocap or manually keyframing any animation. Posing is a far sight less work, especially when all these elements already exist from Axis or the game engine.

What artists or animators? Literally all the models, textures, lighting, animation rigs (probably a combination of FK & IK or Kinect mocap or facial rigging with their physical head stuff) are simply ready for posing shot by shot. All the tech and systems have already been developed. When you look at a comic artist they have to create from scratch every frame and detail. I'd hazard a guess 1-4 talented staff could bang out a fantastic comic in this fashion and rather quickly. Especially when they could just send something to an internal modeller/animator/texture artist for those once of things they can't accomplish. They could also bang out of ton of poses using body & facial mocap in a one day setup. They could do hundreds of poses and then simply use the software rigging tools to play with the physical mocap rigs data.

I'd guess the biggest barrier would be the lighting and render times, you'd have to pretty much always adjust the lighting but with in game engine lighting is already sorted. It seems like far less work to me with far more control and continuity to deliver a much higher quality art output. Further if you wanted to tweak or change something it's all in 3D and ready for simple changes, unlike drawings/digital paintings which are basically create from scratch again if you want to rotate a character or change perspective etc.

Ghazi

To me Thorne seems like a better candidate. He's more likeable, and not in command (so Palmer and co. can boss you around/act like Cortana).
Sure, but it's harder for me to imagine them wanting us to play as an ordinary Spartan IV. After the shit Palmer has done (story wise, and annoyance wise), I think they'd go with that. If they did that, they could do some crazy controversial stuff, I wouldn't put it past them after the shit they nearly did at the end of Spartan Ops.
Some thoughts on that could be Palmer having to hunt Chef down or maybe save him, actually killing Halsey, etc.

Also, I'm still laughing how they just blew up Requiem.

It does appear that Palmer & company were thought to be 343's MCs. But there's so much potential outside of Palmer and Infinity crew.

The Halo 4 terminals told a prologue of the Forerunners, Ancient Humans, the Flood, and etc. That, imo, has more potential to start fresh with a whole new set of MC's to play as rather than those less appealing and hardly memorable characters told in Spartan Ops.

I doubt it, all the animation rigs are there already and because the final comics are all still frames it's really just posing rather than mocap or manually keyframing any animation. Posing is a far sight less work, especially when all these elements already exist from Axis or the game engine.

What artists or animators? Literally all the models, textures, lighting, animation rigs (probably a combination of FK & IK or Kinect mocap or facial rigging with their physical head stuff) are simply ready for posing shot by shot. All the tech and systems have already been developed. When you look at a comic artist they have to create from scratch every frame and detail. I'd hazard a guess 1-4 talented staff could bang out a fantastic comic in this fashion and rather quickly. Especially when they could just send something to an internal modeller/animator/texture artist for those once of things they can't accomplish. They could also bang out of ton of poses using body & facial mocap in a one day setup. They could do hundreds of poses and then simply use the software rigging tools to play with the physical mocap rigs data.

I'd guess the biggest barrier would be the lighting and render times, you'd have to pretty much always adjust the lighting but with in game engine lighting is already sorted. It seems like far less work to me with far more control and continuity to deliver a much higher quality art output. Further if you wanted to tweak or change something it's all in 3D and ready for simple changes, unlike drawings/digital paintings which are basically create from scratch again if you want to rotate a character or change perspective etc.
This I didn't know. If everything is there and its that simple to create than it would be better doing it that way.

Madness

Josh Holmes on the future of Halo and Chief:

"I think the most important character for Halo is the universe itself. I think any great story revolves around great characters that are basically relatable to us as human beings. I think Chief is definitely a character that people can relate to, and that people have come to know and love, and hopefully they’ll experience him in a different way in Halo 4 in the continuation of his saga. 

But I think part of what makes the Halo universe such a compelling place for so many people is because it’s so broad an expanse that it can actually support multiple different stories, multiple different characters. I look at it like this: Is there a world where Halo continues without Master Chief? Absolutely. I think there are stories waiting to be told across the universe that are compelling. It just comes down to having characters that people care about and mysteries that warrant exploration. Right now we’re telling the story of the Master Chief and that’s something I think people will hopefully care a great deal about, but I don’t see why you can’t have another character exist in the Halo universe that’s equally as interesting and appealing.

Problem is, so far, their solution to a world without Chief is Sarah Palmer. I'll disagree somewhat and say Chief is Halo, Halo is Chief, even though we've had games like ODST, Reach, Halo Wars and now Spartan Assault.

Guys, you said you wanted the Arbiter back, right?

Well, in Spartan Ops Season Two, you play as Sarah "POSH DA BOTTON" Palmer herself - and guess who the big bad is?

Imagine this... Kinect 2 real time mocap/rendering of actors movement/faces into Halo Xbox One for a live stream event. Sort of like in game live Machinima. Yes I'm crazy.

lQUQgrR.png

Imagine this... Kinect 2 real time mocap/rendering of actors movement/faces into Halo Xbox One for a live stream event. Sort of like in game live Machinima. Yes I'm crazy.

jHuJAZL9rEW72.png

VIDEOGAMES.

Oh my god, look under his left arm... they didn't even finish coloring. They could not even color inside the lines.

COULD NOT

COLOR

INSIDE

THE LINES

Edit: the colorist is supposedly this guy, Michael Atiyeh. How the hell did he poop out something so terrible? The other guy to blame is supposedly Sergio Ariño, the penciller. I mean, either they didn't actually do it or they shit it out in a weekend for pennies and didn't give a fuck.

nillapuddin

Oh my god, look under his left arm... they didn't even finish coloring. They could not even color inside the lines.

COULD NOT

COLOR

INSIDE

THE LINESSergio Ariño

Edit: the colorist is supposedly this guy, Michael Atiyeh. How the hell did he poop out something so terrible? The other guy to blame is supposedly Sergio Ariño, the penciller. I mean, either they didn't actually do it or they pooped it out in a weekend for pennies and didn't give a fuck.

holyfuck.txt

COULD NOT

COLOR

INSIDE

THE LINES

Edit: the colorist is supposedly this guy, Michael Atiyeh. How the hell did he poop out something so terrible? The other guy to blame is supposedly Sergio Ariño, the penciller. I mean, either they didn't actually do it or they shit it out in a weekend for pennies and didn't give a fuck.

Hey you wanted your comic in time right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom