• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played my first 60fps game last week after buying Metal Gear Rising and boy, I now know why you guys where so crazy about it. Everything just feels and moves really good!

Edit: I guess Slayer is now Elimination, I like it.

MGR is amazing. All the DLC is FREE!

Have you really never played Call of Duty?

So it seems that Halo:(insert name here) hasn't gotten rid of Loadouts and a new Slayer gametype has been named Elimination or SLAUGHTER. (maybe a one-life Gametype?)

But recon control scheme is back.

C'mon Stinkles, we're dying for more information.

if we still have loadouts in the next game...

geeeofofofryfun.gif

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I just got back from vacation. I haven't played anything for a week and a half. I'll be on tonight.

Pretty sure my opponent in the first round is still balled up in the fetal position quietly crying about the total shellacking they took from my team.

Bow to your sensei.

I don't think Frankie said anything about slayer. He talked about a new mode.
He just called it an elimination tourney, which is what it is, a tourney where people get eliminated.

then he named slayer gametypes for quick "eliminations".
My boss asked me why quick game modes (like SWAT, any mode where elimination happens etc)

I assumed he meant something like Search and Destroy in CoD or Execution in Gears where you can get eliminated each round.

Which i said (one-life gametypes). but i stand by my point that IF they change slayer to "Elimination" then its just a needless change.

IHaveIce

Banned
And the teasing begins.

Also I'm 95% sure loadouts are back.

Elimination/slaughter... hm idk. One Life gametypes like detonation or search and destroy are fun(with an objective)

Hey.. how about you stream your inoffice tourney? :J

Fuchsdh

I played my first 60fps game last week after buying Metal Gear Rising and boy, I now know why you guys where so crazy about it. Everything just feels and moves really good!

Edit: I guess Slayer is now Elimination, I like it.

More likely "Elimination" is a round-based Slayer game like CS games where you've got one life per round and it goes until you've killed the last member of a team.

Mistel

Banned
lmfao I hate you.

Yeah that's the thing I liked about it; it took some skill to be efficient with. Few things in Reach were as rewarding as leading a Grenade shot from deep, disabling a menacing Banshee as it plummets to its death or gets hijacked.

It was fun to emp vehicles specially on spire often momentum carried them straight over the side.

I don't think the idea was executed all that well. Harassment weapons just don't make for a really fun experience for most players. It really ended up being sort of a waste of time and effort since you had to commit so heavily to each individual target and your reward is almost always an assist. It might have been different if the weapon had headshot damage and wasn't location-agnostic. Even then, a weapon that is basically just holding a trigger and painting a target for an extended period of time...it's just not that interesting to use.

Where it really fell apart was as a counterpart to the human rifle, because the gulf between their kill times was so massive. It wasn't the worst thing as a standalone, but as your only long-range counter in an Invasion match? It's an insult.

Yeah it was alright if nothing better was available I mostly found it useful at mid range but if I found a needle rifle it was much better.

I literally still owe Luke Smith and Paul Bertone that steak. Never got around to actually eating it.

About to go into an interoffice elimination tourney in a new mode in the Xbox One game. It's going to be a SLAUGHTER. We are going to get mercilessly pounded at 60fps. And there are only two weapons allowed.

I am sticking with my Recon scheme however.

I never got good with it. But it was a decent splash/close quarters chaos provider in narrow hallways.
Oh shit. It begins.

Recon master race, however.
I haven't played that map enough. I told Bonnie to just hide for the first few seconds. See what shakes out! Check your PMs.

I never had a problem with 30fps games - but it is jarring for me to go from one to the other in either direction.

And it takes a session or two to get used to it.
Frank, you're a bigger fucking cocktease than my girlfriend. I expect more of these teases in the near future as we get closer to the first vidoc.

;-)

:'(
if we still have loadouts in the next game...

geeeofofofryfun.gif
I wouldn't be surprised. If so, I hope they work like Reach's, except no AA's.

:'(

But seriously, bring back the Grenade Launcher and Chopper.. both of those were a blast to play with.

I literally still owe Luke Smith and Paul Bertone that steak. Never got around to actually eating it.

About to go into an interoffice elimination tourney in a new mode in the Xbox One game. It's going to be a SLAUGHTER. We are going to get mercilessly pounded at 60fps. And there are only two weapons allowed.

I am sticking with my Recon scheme however.

I never got good with it. But it was a decent splash/close quarters chaos provider in narrow hallways.

The tease. I like it.

That scene has me in tears every damn time.

BigShow36

Pretty sure my opponent in the first round is still balled up in the fetal position quietly crying about the total shellacking they took from my team.

Bow to your sensei.

To be fair, you got the Global Ordnance Longsword Stike package delivered right in front of you in the first Drop Pod Package drop. It shouldn't have even been a close game except the other team had the Reset Perk which allowed them to start the round over after 10 kills. You're just lucky you had customized your BR with the bullets that make it a 7 burst kill instead of the standard 10 burst kill. At least the new aim assist mechanism allows the other team to just leave their controllers sitting there as they left in shame and then aim and shoot for them.

To be fair, you got the Global Ordnance Longsword Stike package delivered right in front of you in the first Drop Pod Package drop. It shouldn't have even been a close game except the other team had the Reset Perk which allowed them to start the round over after 10 kills. You're just lucky you had customized your BR with the bullets that make it a 7 burst kill instead of the standard 10 burst kill.

Don't give them any ideas.

You're assuming my made up shitty ideas are worse than what they're coming up with.

Im not assuming anything, we know their vision for halo is NOT the Halo longtime fans want..

to be fair, we dont anything about the next Halo game
literally, we dont even know the name

H4 was not exactly made under the conditions that any of us
nor 343
would have wanted, transition from Bungie, the fact they arent Bungie, "hiring 2 people per week during entire dev cycle", clashing ideas, director leaving, fitting the game onto 360, etc, etc, etc

Any criticism of Halo 4 is fine, but we cannot say anything definitive for the future
When the GI cover article comes out, then all judgement is fair game.

But we can assume they are using Halo 4 for the base. which just gives me little hope. and the fact that they had a traditional Halo during dev of 4 and scrapped it.

nillapuddin

Im not assuming anything, we know their vision for halo is NOT the Halo longtime fans want..

nor 343
would have wanted, transition from Bungie, the fact they arent Bungie, "hiring 2 people per week during entire dev cycle", clashing ideas, director leaving, fitting the game onto 360, etc, etc, etc

Any criticism of Halo 4 is fine, but we cannot say anything definitive for the future

But we can assume they are using Halo 4 for the base

Were you expecting them to take Portal 2 and build the next Halo game from that?

edit: I fucking hate replying via edits btw, just post again, we are all on the wall of shame anyways

Were you expecting them to take Portal 2 and build the next Halo game from that?

edit: I fucking hate replying via edits btw, just post again, we are all on the wall of shame anyways

I dont have a problem with them using the "Halo" engine. but c'mon Halo 4.
it was entertaining, but didnt feel like halo.

and I dont see why its a wall of shame, i mean shit we all love halo.

nillapuddin

I dont have a problem with them using the "Halo" engine. but c'mon Halo 4. it was entertaining, but didnt feel like halo.

The good thing you can take from it, is that the feedback is universal, its a clear message that it isnt the way the fans would particularly like it, and that can be altered moving forward.

TBH, Bungie was stripping "Halo" away one seam at a time and lulled "us" to sleep because, Bungie.

But clearly 343 cant get away with that, and we can hope they have been as humbled as they appear to be. We just need to see what they have, like I said, come March, fire away

just to make some of the nerds on here feel better about themselves than other nerds, even though they still read every response, if they stay silent it makes them feel better.
nearly every community thread does it, its tradition

Fuchsdh

The good thing you can take from it, is that the feedback is universal, its a clear message that it isnt the way the fans would particularly like it, and that can be altered moving forward.

TBH, Bungie was stripping "Halo" away one seam at a time and lulled "us" to sleep because, Bungie.

But clearly 343 cant get away with that, and we can hope they have been as humbled as they appear to be. We just need to see what they have, like I said, come March, fire away

just to make some of the nerds on here feel better about themselves than other nerds, even though they still read every response, if they stay silent it makes them feel better.
nearly every community thread does it, its tradition

I don't think you've been on the list for any of the OTs. You're fine :p

Don't take my word for it, but it's mostly a joke. As long as you don't have diarrhea of the keyboard, no one really cares.

Yes, I know who this is coming from.

nor 343

I agree with this. 343 may have made some insanely obvious mistakes after years of what works in a Halo game, but I'm personally going to wait to see how things start rolling out first before I jump to any conclusions.

If I see any hint of a Camo AA, may baby jesus have mercy on 343's soul.

belushy

Banned

Are you teaming against Dersk and Neighbor? lol

edited for fails

IHaveIce

Banned
I agree with this. 343 may have made some insanely obvious mistakes after years of what works in a Halo game, but I'm personally going to wait to see how things start rolling out first before I jump to any conclusions.

If I see any hint of a Camo AA, may baby jesus have mercy on 343's soul.

Jetpack and Camo will return as AA, mark my words.

Maybe they will step back from the infinity crazyness a little bit if we are lucky, but I don't think we will see this shit gone.

There are so many things to fix.. hell I wonder if they bring back descoping instead of stupid flinch.

Thinking about it, it seems I lost all my trust. I like them, but I don't see them fixing it.

Maybe they will step back from the infinity crazyness a little bit if we are lucky, but I don't think we will see this shit gone.

There are so many things to fix.. hell I wonder if they bring back descoping instead of stupid flinch.

Thinking about it, it seems I lost all my trust. I like them, but I don't see them fixing it.

This is my entire feelings on 343.

Mistel

Banned

Wasn't halo 4 built off a heavily modified reach engine?

The next halo can have the ability to build off of the criticism of halo 4 received and hopefully improve upon it which is something bungie games didn't do that well.

what makes you so sure?

Wasn't halo 4 built off a heavily modified reach engine?

The next halo can have the ability to build off of the criticism of halo 4 received and hopefully improve upon it which is something bungie games didn't do that well.

Every iteration of Halo uses the same engine that has been modified since CE.

I just want a game that feels like Halo, not a game that feels like CoD or Battlefield. with a Halo skin.

Madness

I'm liking the insistence on 60 FPS from start. Means everything they do, they're trying to make sure it won't go below.

And if they are having interoffice matches already, it means it's a decent build so far, so it means we'll have it sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom