• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
According to Halopedia (citing one visual guide book or some such IIRC), Chief's Mark VI armor in Halo 4 is merely remodeled to be look like one variant of Mark IV.

Of course, nowhere is explained HOW or WHEN Cortana changed how the armor looks, aside from Stinkles half-assed "nanomachines" explanation (if UNSC has such powerful nanos, why aren't they used for more things?).

gAg CruSh3r

According to Halopedia (citing one visual guide book or some such IIRC), Chief's Mark VI armor in Halo 4 is merely remodeled to be look like one variant of Mark IV.

Of course, nowhere is explained HOW or WHEN Cortana changed how the armor looks, aside from Stinkles half-assed "nanomachines" explanation (if UNSC has such powerful nanos, why aren't they used for more things?).

Maybe it took that 4 years to change a lot of things for his armor or maybe it's that space magic we never knew about?

Literally Halo 4 had some awful story ques. The concepts were there, the execution wasn't.

"They aren't fitted like standard military."

They seem the same to me, minus the character redesigns..

"These Covenant seem more fanatical than normal!"

Really..? How the hell did you even get that? I mean, it shouldn't have been too hard having them be caught in some bizzaro prayer or whatever. Anything.

Etc.

Madness

But problem is, that the Halsey cutscene shows him wearing his new armor prior to Halo 3 event. Meaning Cortana didn't just change it on ship. I know it's splitting hairs, but come on, how hard would it be to have explained it better? Or maybe have given him the old Halo 3 style armor, and have it changed when he meets up with the Infinity and they give him this new MK VI upgraded variant.

It's one thing changing a Jackals skull shape, another to completely change armor that's been around for almost 8+ years, even if people like the new armor better.

Woorloog

Banned
But problem is, that the Halsey cutscene shows him wearing his new armor prior to Halo 3 event. Meaning Cortana didn't just change it on ship. I know it's splitting hairs, but come on, how hard would it be to have explained it better? Or maybe have given him the old Halo 3 style armor, and have it changed when he meets up with the Infinity and they give him this new MK VI upgraded variant.

The way it is explained, afterwards, with logic and reference material, is that the Halsey cutscene shows the great war, with some artistic license, ie the Spartans are wearing Mark IV.
And between Halo 3 and 4, Cortana, for some reason, remodels (with nanonmachines) the Chief's armor to look like that Mark IV armor.

The game doesn't explain it though. While i like Halo 4's story and narrative in general, it seriously lacks exposition.

nillapuddin

This is how they show Spartan 4's in the comics
GfsgUrz.png

This is how we see them in the game

sigh...
atleast the S4's in the comic.. (like the S3's in Reach)
have their own armor configurations, colors and primary weapon, it gives them character

In Spartan Ops, the S4's all become monochromatic empty vessels

It is alot easier to differntiate, associate with or generally give a fuck about these people

then these

if we are stuck with these guys (which we are) atleast help us out a bit remembering them

maneil99

It's one thing changing a Jackals skull shape, another to completely change armor that's been around for almost 8+ years, even if people like the new armor better.

New armor looks stupid, people actually like it more? All the armor in Halo 4 looks dumb. Halo 3 had the best most iconic pieces, not some random helmets you'd expect a future solider in COD to wear with all the weird shit they added in 4

Woorloog

Banned
New armor looks stupid, people actually like it more? All the armor in Halo 4 looks dumb. Halo 3 had the best most iconic pieces, not some random helmets you'd expect a future solider in COD to wear

Well it is better than Mark V.

(Halo 3 VI>Halo Wars IV>Halo 4 VI (campaign)>Mark V)

Woorloog

Banned
http://www.halo-3-help.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/markv.jpg[IMG]

Idk, maybe its the nostalgia, that shit is iconic, this new stuff is dumb and generic and way over complex[/QUOTE]

Was talking about the whole armor, not just the helmet.
Halo Wars Mark IV armor helmet is practically the same as Mark V helmet, and the helmet's good (aside from its Reach rendition, haven't seen Halo 4 version actually).
But the armor overall... Mark V is kind of meh.
EDIT seen Halo 4 version now. Better than Reach but is the second worst version of that armor definitively.

Am I the only one who prefers the Halo 4 look for Chief's armor? He just looks way more fierce and heavy in it.

Do the Spartan IV's and Palmer still try way too hard to be cool in the comic? Seriously, I could not stand the characters in Spartan Ops.

Now that hate I can agree with. Spartan ops characters remind me too much of Starship Troopers or something like that.

Am I the only one who prefers the Halo 4 look for Chief's armor? He just looks way more fierce and heavy in it.

Now that hate I can agree with. Spartan ops characters remind me too much of Starship Troopers or something like that

I would like it a lot more if it weren't for the shoulders+chest.

Yeah, it really just did not feel Halo at all, let alone feel right for Spartans. The dialogue just wasn't witty, even though it tried so hard to be.

Woorloog

Banned

'Tis good but not the best.

Odd thing about Halo 4 armor is that it looks inhuman (much more so than the previous armors). Perhaps this is because i'm used to the older armors... Regardless, this works in my mind great considering Halo 4 narrative.

I would like it a lot more if it weren't for the shoulders+chest.

lol... the big shoulders/upper back are what I really like about it. To each his own I guess. If I were to get a statue/action figure of any kind nowadays, I'd definitely go with Halo 4's style.

Odd thing about Halo 4 armor is that it looks inhuman (much more so than the previous armors). Perhaps this is because i'm used to the older armors... Regardless, this works in my mind great considering Halo 4 narrative.

That's a good point too. I never really thought about how well it jives with the whole man vs. machine theme.

The way it is explained, afterwards, with logic and reference material, is that the Halsey cutscene shows the great war, with some artistic license, ie the Spartans are wearing Mark IV.
And between Halo 3 and 4, Cortana, for some reason, remodels (with nanonmachines) the Chief's armor to look like that Mark IV armor.

The game doesn't explain it though. While i like Halo 4's story and narrative in general, it seriously lacks exposition.

Problem is that the MKVI Mjolnir armor does NOT have nanomachines. and cortana said she changed the armor's firmware not the armor itself.

CyReN

xbc might be shutting down

The server I have loaned will be going back to it's owner. (Many thanks for loaning it so long in the first place my friend!)
As you might have read earlier on in our news updates my old server fried itself. As you may or not know the proceedings from the XBC pro serials and website ads do not weigh up against the website and server total upkeep costs. The surplus of it has been coming from my own pocket these last years. What I've been happy to do so! But I simply lack the funds to buy another machine again.

With great reluctance I have to announce that XBConnect will have to shutdown it's services starting 21-12-2013

Frankie said she used nanomachines. And the game's no help at all, for it doesn't explain stuff like that.

Frankie also said that Halo 4 felt like Halo, Where did she get the nano-machines? did the FUD have nano-machines on-board?

Frankie can say whatever he wants but what he says clashes with the pre-established Canon. because prior to Halo 4 there was no mention of Chiron-Class Frigates or other ships having a contingent of Nano-Machines.

Woorloog

Banned
Frankie also said that Halo 4 felt like Halo, Where did she get the nano-machines? did the FUD have nano-machines on-board?

Frankie can say whatever he wants but what he says clashes with the pre-established Canon. because prior to Halo 4 there was no mention of Chiron-Class Frigates or other ships having a contingent of Nano-Machines.

Which leads back to my question:
"Of course, nowhere is explained HOW or WHEN Cortana changed how the armor looks, aside from Stinkles half-assed "nanomachines" explanation (if UNSC has such powerful nanos, why aren't they used for more things?)."
"When" should have been "why".

EDIT besides, isn't Frankie the franchise director or some such? IE the guy who directs canon?

Fuchsdh

That would have been the sensical thing, yes. I've no problem with his new armor, aside from the fact that it got replaced for no canon reason that's defensible and retconned in flashbacks (hell he's wearing the H4 armor when he should be wearing Mk V)

That would have been the sensical thing, yes. I've no problem with his new armor, aside from the fact that it got replaced for no canon reason that's defensible and retconned in flashbacks (hell he's wearing the H4 armor when he should be wearing Mk V)

I have an issue besides the one you mentioned. It does not look good or inspired at all. Very generic and makes him look weak. The previous master chief models are far better and more iconic/inspired/memorable.

It would have been a really cool moment getting your new armor in the game if you sported the Halo 3 armor for the first couple of missions and get the upgrade. I'm really bummed they didn't go for this route.

As for the wrong armor in the flashbacks, I bet it was an oversight rather than a retcon.

Woorloog

Banned
When Halsey gives MC Cortana, that was technically during the Fall of Reach. So he should've been wearing MK 5.

Eh, did Halo 4 show Halsey giving the Chief Cortana? I don't remember that.

EDIT oh, i see.

*shrug* Always thought the cutscene included a lot of artistic license for ease of production. Still i get the issue people have with it.

Eh, did Halo 4 show Halsey giving the Chief Cortana? I don't remember that.

EDIT oh, i see.

*shrug* Always thought the cutscene included a lot of artistic license for ease of production. Still i get the issue people have with it.

I'm sure that's what they did. It ended up looking good, as long as you didn't pay enough attention to the anal details. But it's unfortunate that they chose to do that instead of using correct assets.

nillapuddin

I'm sure that's what they did. It ended up looking good, as long as you didn't pay enough attention to the anal details. But it's unfortunate that they chose to do that instead of using correct assets.

Unfortunately it was a decision they made so newbies wouldnt get confused that the Master Chief looks like this in the flashbacks
UG18Q9e.jpg

but looks like this in the game
R9zGjIl.jpg

nillapuddin

Well I think we can all agree had Halo 4 been delayed a year it would have been an all-around better game, art assets or no...

Any game with an additional year of polish and brain-trusting could be improved to some degree, but it was never meant to be, Halo 4 had to come out Nov 6 2012

343 needed to grind their teeth on a game as a unit
MS needed them to get the experience to carry forward
We needed the Chief again, something to get us excited about the Universe going Forward

All the boxes are checked, but obviously not everyone came out the other side smiling

343 doesnt want to make a game the fanbase doesnt care for
MS doesnt want to see their biggest 1st party franchise decline
We dont want to see it continue in this direction

So we start back at step 1, new hardware, full team, fresh aspirations.
At the end of the day, this is a business, and they did what they had to do
Now we just have to wait a few months to see what they can do

The Halo 2/3 Mark VI had a superior helmet stylistically, sure, but otherwise the Halo 4 Mark VI is superior in every way I think.

Playing through the older games I did not realize it but all of the soldiers and Chief really just looked like characters. The ODSTs were the only soldiers in the game that looked like real, functioning soldiers of the future.

Halo 4 might have made the marines look generic and boring, but gat dayum did it make Chief look more functional, more fluid, and more badass. Old Chief looked fine, sure, but in comparison I really prefer the new Chief armor in every way outside the helmet.

Mix

Any game with an additional year of polish and brain-trusting could be improved to some degree, but it was never meant to be, Halo 4 had to come out Nov 6 2012

343 needed to grind their teeth on a game as a unit
MS needed them to get the experience to carry forward
We needed the Chief again, something to get us excited about the Universe going Forward

All the boxes are checked, but obviously not everyone came out the other side smiling

343 doesnt want to make a game the fanbase doesnt care for
MS doesnt want to see their biggest 1st party franchise decline
We dont want to see it continue in this direction

So we start back at step 1, new hardware, full team, fresh aspirations.
At the end of the day, this is a business, and they did what they had to do
Now we just have to wait a few months to see what they can do
Nilla just get's it.
It's definitely true, too. MS wanted a reason for the 360 to have some life left in it and they thought the hardcore Halo fans would stick around to play it even after spending 600 bucks on a new case of Hardware. Unfortunately, Halo 4 proved that, without a stable team or a unified vision for the project, it wouldn't stay true to what the fans wanted.

Madness

Unfortunately it was a decision they made so newbies wouldnt get confused that the Master Chief looks like this in the flashbacks
UG18Q9e.jpg

but looks like this in the game
R9zGjIl.jpg

That's why I'm suggesting, they have let Chief keep his old armor for the first mission when Elites board the FuD, and when he crash lands on Requiem, it gets a bit damaged, Cortana tells him to take it easy, and when he meets up with Lasky, Palmer and the Infinity they give him a new suit of armor, explain that it's an upgrade blah blah. Keeps the canon secure, allows them to move on with their design no?

Anyways, what's done is done. At this point, I'm not as interested in the world and the details as I was before, I'm literally only waiting to hear MP details.

Ataxia

Eh. Battlefield 4 is the Halo 4 of the Battlefield series. Absolutely terrible. No idea how DICE fucked it up so badly after BF3. Game is essentially a twitch shooter (CoD) with some vehicles tacked on that aren't even fun to use anymore.

So frustrating.

I hope Halo 5 is better than H4. I'm running out of games that aren't being catered towards the CoD crowd. Don't have much hope for Destiny at all, either.

Mistel

Banned

This was such a odd design choice if you where going to do flashbacks you would at least have them fit Canon instead of shiny new armour chief everywhere.

Mk IV and V best looking armor by far for me.

daedalius

Frankie teases, give me more.

Also, can you get these halo comics digitally? If so, I'd probably pick them up before a compilation book.

Dark horse app on iPad or something?

Hey guys, you wanna know what the most likely reason for seeing the Halo 4 armor in the flashback cutscene is?

They already had a brand new high poly Master Chief model, and modelling the Mark IV and V for one cutscene is probably more work than it's worth. Doubt it has anything to do with retcons, especially when you consider FUD has a different Mark IV design.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hey guys, you wanna know what the most likely reason for seeing the Halo 4 armor in the flashback cutscene is?

They already had a brand new high poly Master Chief model, and modelling the Mark IV and V for one cutscene is probably more work than it's worth. Doubt it has anything to do with retcons, especially when you consider FUD has a different Mark IV design.
Port Heyro 3 model to Heyro 4

Caayn

I'm willing to accept that they didn't had the time to create a different model for each cutscene. But the least they could've done is not use shields in that cutscene.

Oh my gosh! Stop being logical! We want to rage the shit about this game. Sigh. Dude.

wwm0nkey

Eh. Battlefield 4 is the Halo 4 of the Battlefield series. Absolutely terrible. No idea how DICE fucked it up so badly after BF3. Game is essentially a twitch shooter (CoD) with some vehicles tacked on that aren't even fun to use anymore.

So frustrating.

I hope Halo 5 is better than H4. I'm running out of games that aren't being catered towards the CoD crowd. Don't have much hope for Destiny at all, either.
Except its not really. Its a better version of BF3 to me with a MUCH better squad bonus system. Only thing that is "terrible" about it is the crashes....which happens way too often sadly :(

Ataxia

Except its not really. Its a better version of BF3 to me with a MUCH better squad bonus system. Only thing that is "terrible" about it is the crashes....which happens way too often sadly :(
The problem is the kill times... They're way too fast. Now I know that people like playing Call of Duty with vehicles, but I hate twitch shooters. IMO, BF3 got it right with kill times and I feel that they've severely missed the mark in BF4 - to the point where the game is almost completely unplayable for me.

Too frustrating dying from 2-3 bullets. It's the same reason I avoid CoD. (IIRC, bullets in BF4 deal ~10 points more damage than those in BF3)

m23

The problem is the kill times... They're way too fast. Now I know that people like playing Call of Duty with vehicles, but I hate twitch shooters. IMO, BF3 got it right with kill times and I feel that they've severely missed the mark in BF4 - to the point where the game is almost completely unplayable for me.

Too frustrating dying from 2-3 bullets. It's the same reason I avoid CoD. (IIRC, bullets in BF4 deal ~10 points more damage than those in BF3)

You die from 2-3 bullets? The kill times are MUCH longer than Cod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom