• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

nillapuddin

Been playing BF4 since X1 launch, disagree completely

/opinion

Using my DMR, 2~ - 5~ shots feels fair, and is not as "instantaneous" as you make it sound, sure if someone gets 3 feet away from you and lights you up with an SMG you will die pretty quick, but uh... you should.

That's why I'm suggesting, they have let Chief keep his old armor for the first mission when Elites board the FuD, and when he crash lands on Requiem, it gets a bit damaged, Cortana tells him to take it easy, and when he meets up with Lasky, Palmer and the Infinity they give him a new suit of armor, explain that it's an upgrade blah blah. Keeps the canon secure, allows them to move on with their design no?

Anyways, what's done is done. At this point, I'm not as interested in the world and the details as I was before, I'm literally only waiting to hear MP details.

Actually I found Bungie and now 343 lacking that vision of doing exclusive stuff for campaign, it looks like Bungie couldnt put of their ideas for the game in time at least on in Halo 3, No ODST weapons in Reach, No Nature bosses,Big battles or Stealth missions on Reach. Why just dont MS let them have total liberty and time for doing the game.

Been playing BF4 since X1 launch, disagree completely

/opinion

Using my DMR, 2~ - 5~ shots feels fair, and is not as "instantaneous" as you make it sound, sure if someone gets 3 feet away from you and lights you up with an SMG you will die pretty quick, but uh... you should.

Battlefield 4 maps are feeling more CODesque than ever actually, narrow spaces combat for flanking and less open areas to coordinate a defense.

So for those questions, we should ask 343 how they felt about Halo 4's fan reception in regards to perks, etc. Questions that would prick their brain because I'm curious to see why they decided to bring Camo back as an AA after the backlash it received in Reach.

There are a lot of things we still don't know that don't directly involve Halo 5, but could give us better insight to their design process with Halo 4.

So for those questions, we should ask 343 how they felt about Halo 4's fan reception in regards to perks, etc. Questions that would prick their brain because I'm curious to see why they decided to bring Camo back as an AA after the backlash it received in Reach.

There are a lot of things we still don't know that don't directly involve Halo 5, but could give us better insight to their design process with Halo 4.

Instead, we'll get answers to questions like; "What is your favorite tactical package?" or "What color is your pillow at home" or "Will you be my waifu, Frank?"

Caayn

Useful question like that won't be chosen. Expect an Q&A that is filled with questions that PentinantTangent just named.

FYC

Banned
"Will you be my waifu, Frank?"

MDLmMJ1.png

Frankie teases, give me more.

Also, can you get these halo comics digitally? If so, I'd probably pick them up before a compilation book.

Dark horse app on iPad or something?

Darkhorse has the newer comics, some are available digitally http://www.darkhorse.com/Search/halo

Comixology also has a few Halo comics. http://www.comixology.com/Halo/comics-series/3637

Madness

Hey guys, you wanna know what the most likely reason for seeing the Halo 4 armor in the flashback cutscene is?

They already had a brand new high poly Master Chief model, and modelling the Mark IV and V for one cutscene is probably more work than it's worth. Doubt it has anything to do with retcons, especially when you consider FUD has a different Mark IV design.

They also created their own version of the old armor for the game too. Look, no one is raging here, but that makes it a little harder to take then. Did no one at 343 think that fans wouldn't notice it? That not only is there no explanation, that it messes with canon?

Why create the new armor in the first place if you won't explain the change? It's not because they didn't want to waste time or resources to do the flashback scene, but because they didn't care. If they won't bother explaining the change, they won't bother with explicit canon. They basically just wanted a darker, grittier, leaner Master Chief, one they could make their own.

And it's not like 343 didn't see it coming. Read any articles from early Feb 2012 detailing how his armor has changed, almost every comment is wondering how/why his armor changed and would there be an explanation for it.

They also created their own version of the old armor for the game too. Look, no one is raging here, but that makes it a little harder to take then. Did no one at 343 think that fans wouldn't notice it? That not only is there no explanation, that it messes with canon?

Why create the new armor in the first place if you won't explain the change? It's not because they didn't want to waste time or resources to do the flashback scene, but because they didn't care. If they won't bother explaining the change, they won't bother with explicit canon. They basically just wanted a darker, grittier, leaner Master Chief, one they could make their own.

And it's not like 343 didn't see it coming. Read any articles from early Feb 2012 detailing how his armor has changed, almost every comment is wondering how/why his armor changed and would there be an explanation for it.

I prefer this look too instead of the actual model they have. Although i find the paint a little strange on the black part of the suit. Should be armor,i like this model since it is slimmer and looks more like Master Chief. Plus more armor and no floating armor makes him look less flimsy or weak.

That should've been his default armor. Looks awesome IMO and a natural step forward; much better than the obvious space diaper in Halo 3 too.

And I don't think they changed the armor thinking that people wouldn't notice (how could we not?). They just changed it for the sake of change and making it their own because that's the only thing that makes sense.

That should've been his default armor. Looks awesome IMO and a natural step forward; much better than the obvious space diaper in Halo 3 too.

And I don't think they changed the armor thinking that people wouldn't notice (how could we not?). They just changed it for the sake of change and making it their own because that's the only thing that makes sense.

Yea i don't see why they should do that. The game is not their own anyways due to Bungie being the creator. Only way for something to be their own is to create a new ip.

Karl2177

Again, they had a higher poly model for the final cutscene of the game. There's no sense in making another high poly model for just one cutscene, especially when the game is struggling to get out of the door. That in-game model doesn't have high enough detail for a CGI scene. As for the model in game, they wanted their Master Chief. Whether it makes sense or not, it was their call.

TheOddOne

They put that armor in because it is iconic and fun throwback, they even put their own spin on it.

Reading more into it is just...overthinking it. It would be hilarious if they somehow had to think up a way to fit in DLC armor into the canon to appease fans. DLC armor canon, so good.

jelly

They also wanted everyone to be Spartans which I think directed the new look to a one size fits all approach. There is really nothing that separates Master Chief now.

They put that armor in because it is iconic and fun throwback, they even put their own spin on it.

Reading more into it is just...overthinking it. It would be hilarious if they somehow had to think up a way to fit in DLC armor into the canon to appease fans. DLC armor canon, so good.

They're the ones who wanted to make canon relate to multiplayer.. Not the fans.

EDIT:
I didn't even remotely say that.

Well, it doesn't suprise me to say the least.

Then why even bring it up in the first place?

See that's where you're wrong. People actually love Master Chief.

Fixed. Who are the other characters people love and want to see more of in the next Halo game? For me:
  • The Arbiter
  • Halsey
  • Lasky
In that order.

How can a person be this dense? Jesus.

First you fail to understand my point and now this.

How about instead of insulting me you further explain it? You know, like what people do on discussion boards?

You're such a lowlife sometimes and let your animosity/grudges take over.

Fixed. Who are the other characters people love and want to see more of in the next Halo game? For me:
  • The Arbiter
  • Halsey
  • Lasky
In that order.

How about instead of insulting me you further explain it? You know, like what people do on discussion boards?

I'm pretty sure that Lasky was the only new character that 343 introduced that people actually like. And that's only because FUD was good.

TheOddOne

You're such a lowlife sometimes.
Oh please, you have avoided valid discussions before and eventually resorted to passive aggressive replies.

Anybody who knows me knows that I will give you a decent reply if you actually converse with me. You have done none of that.

Mistel

Banned

How did dlc armor work in 4 when in reach it was such a issue to have it working in multiplayer then?

So how is the race playlist?

We totally talked about which master chief armor is best like, a few weeks ago.

http://youtu.be/qxXjfkYbAys?t=37s
To be fair, many things we discuss have been beaten to death several times over lol.

Oh please, you have avoided valid discussions before and eventually resorted to passive aggressive replies.

Anybody who knows me knows that I will give you a decent reply if you actually converse with me. You have done none of that.

The Pistol thing? I've discussed that like 9283704234 times.. Don't give me that nonsense.

Just take your ball and go home.

Fuchsdh

So how is the race playlist?

We totally talked about which master chief armor is best like, a few weeks ago.

The gametype is fine; it's not quite as full-featured as the modded Race but it gets the job done.

While I complain about Halo 4's restrictive vehicle paths every other day, they actually work really well for Race. Looking forward to the community maps as well though.

I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of the cast from the K5 trilogy make appearances in the next game or SpOps or whatever.

Osman's appearance in Spartan Ops was kind of fun to see I thought.

The ODSTs have been kind of fun to read about. Devereaux/Vaz/Mal have been interesting characters for sure. Hell, bring back Nathan Fillion and that group of ODSTs and have them all be some big squad of Spartan-IVs now or something.

Naomi (and the other remaining Spartan-IIs like Fred, Linda, Kelly, and Gray Team) should make appearances at some point. I mean, come on. If not actual appearances in the game, then some kind of new book or something. But I would really like to see some re-uniting cutscene of Kelly/Linda/Fred meeting up with Chief for the first time since First Strike. It's been a few years.

TheOddOne

The Pistol thing? I've discussed that like 9283704234 times.. Don't give me that nonsense.

Just take your ball and go home.
And you do nothing to prove I'm not wrong that you avoid discussions you lost. At least have the balls to not run away from a losing argument, but to bow down gracefully.

Absolutely scummy behavior.

Fuchsdh

I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of the cast from the K5 trilogy make appearances in the next game or SpOps or whatever.

Osman's appearance in Spartan Ops was kind of fun to see I thought.

The ODSTs have been kind of fun to read about. Devereaux/Vaz/Mal have been interesting characters for sure. Hell, bring back Nathan Fillion and that group of ODSTs and have them all be some big squad of Spartan-IVs now or something.

Naomi (and the other remaining Spartan-IIs like Fred, Linda, Kelly, and Gray Team) should make appearances at some point. I mean, come on. If not actual appearances in the game, then some kind of new book or something. But I would really like to see some re-uniting cutscene of Kelly/Linda/Fred meeting up with Chief for the first time since First Strike. It's been a few years.

You definitely need to balance all those characters; I would love Blue Team to come back and while I couldn't distinguish the ODSTs in the first K5 novel they got fleshed out nicely in Thursday War--but having all those characters together would be a mess. The Spartans require less foreknowledge I think and you can drop them in with a line or two of dialogue to Chief and figure out their relationship. K5 feels like they would need to be introduced as a unit and that's a lot of random ODSTs (unless they're Spartans by this point.)

Escalation made me realize that we've kind of got a pretty gaping hole in history between K5 and Halo 4/Ops in regards to the Covenant. Last we saw the Arbiter he was on the ropes and got his bacon saved by Infinity's Motherf'in' Pimp Hand, but Telcam didn't seem particularly defeated. Maybe Jul came back and basically assumed control of the religious zealots and left Sanghelios, leaving the Arbiter free to clean up the stragglers? Seems kind of odd we went from everyone ganging up on the Arbiter to Hood saying that he's doing swell.

• The Arbiter
  • Halsey
  • Lasky
In that order.

I'm pretty sure that Lasky was the only new character that 343 introduced that people actually like. And that's only because FUD was good.

You definitely need to balance all those characters; I would love Blue Team to come back and while I couldn't distinguish the ODSTs in the first K5 novel they got fleshed out nicely in Thursday War--but having all those characters together would be a mess. The Spartans require less foreknowledge I think and you can drop them in with a line or two of dialogue to Chief and figure out their relationship. K5 feels like they would need to be introduced as a unit and that's a lot of random ODSTs (unless they're Spartans by this point.)

Escalation made me realize that we've kind of got a pretty gaping hole in history between K5 and Halo 4/Ops in regards to the Covenant. Last we saw the Arbiter he was on the ropes and got his bacon saved by Infinity's Motherf'in' Pimp Hand, but Telcam didn't seem particularly defeated. Maybe Jul came back and basically assumed control of the religious zealots and left Sanghelios, leaving the Arbiter free to clean up the stragglers? Seems kind of odd we went from everyone ganging up on the Arbiter to Hood saying that he's doing swell.

Oh yes I agree. I just saw the posts above talking about Lasky saying he was the only recently-introduced character that was interesting and I disagreed, wanting to talk about Vaz/Mal/Dev. I kind of went off mentioning other characters but that's where it came from.

I agree on the problems between Thursday War/Glasslands. Traviss did good work in the second book to make them more distinguished for sure. I don't even need these characters to be anything big. Even just some minor cutscene in Halo 5 with meeting with Admiral Osman with the ODSTs+Naomi in the background would be cool.

Blue Team deserves some screen time with all they've accomplished in the books. Hell, I thought Will was the most badass Spartan ever and I was hoping for him to appear at some point but now that he's a pile of ash floating in space around Trevelyan, I guess that's out the window.

Mortal Dictata will probably fill in a lot of what you're asking about, I assume. Jul probably convinced all of those goobers on that backwater planet to join him, went and rescued Telcam+co and left to search the galaxy unknown. Hood/Infinity helped Arbiter rebuild and there we go.

I'm more interested in whether or not Parangosky actually finally stepped down or if she somehow dies and forces Osman to take the throne as head of Oni.

EDIT: And some of those characters I mentioned (Blue/Gray/Fillion/whomever) annoy me because we already have established fun characters in other games or in books and instead of them actually getting prominent screen time like they deserve, we get boring and uninteresting characters like Crimson or whoever. I know his relationship with Halo was mostly because of Bungie, but dang. Bring back Fillion.

TheOddOne

EDIT: And some of those characters I mentioned (Blue/Gray/Fillion/whomever) annoy me because we already have established fun characters in other games or in books and instead of them actually getting prominent screen time like they deserve, we get boring and uninteresting characters like Crimson or whoever. I know his relationship with Halo was mostly because of Bungie, but dang. Bring back Fillion.
ODST should become it's own franchise. Focus on co-op, non-linearity, more vulnerable, overall deserted feel and exploration.

ODST should become it's own franchise. Focus on co-op, non-linearity, more vulnerable, overall deserted feel and exploration.

I would love to see this. A squad based co-op experience with a story of less than "epic proportions" and with less at stake than the entire universe could be pretty good. Playing games and seeing movies with everything at stake with no breathing room leaves players/viewers exhausted by the end of it. I really prefer to see smaller things at the center of a story. Like the rescue of a single insignificant Huragok.

And think of seeing Fillion in this new engine. He wouldn't look like a molded potato.

th

I edited my post up top to include this but didn't realize there were already several other posts made after it lol

Yeah, FUD definitely helped with it. I hope they have something similar planned for Halo 5.

I'd like to see more Spartans that we know from the books and other stories. Linda, for example; she and the rest of MC's team was a missed opportunity for Reach IMO. I'd like to see more from the current relationships between ODST's and Spartans. More short stories in the form of short films like Halo Legends. Other forms of media leading up to Halo 5's release that may tie into the game's story/character development.

And you do nothing to prove I'm not wrong that you avoid discussions you lost. At least have the balls to not run away from a losing argument, but to bow down gracefully.

Absolutely scummy behavior.

You're pathetic. Keep crying.

TheOddOne

I would love to see this. A squad based co-op experience with a story of less than "epic proportions" and with less at stake than the entire universe could be pretty good. Playing games and seeing movies with everything at stake with no breathing room leaves players/viewers exhausted by the end of it. I really prefer to see smaller things at the center of a story. Like the rescue of a single insignificant Huragok.
I just like the feeling that a team is deserted somewhere withminimal contact with the outside world. Some games have tried it, but they never really took advantage of the setting.

Imagine being stuck here and getting to free-roam this place:
You're garbage and irrelevant. Avoiding responsibility is a sign of weak person.

Again, they had a higher poly model for the final cutscene of the game. There's no sense in making another high poly model for just one cutscene, especially when the game is struggling to get out of the door. That in-game model doesn't have high enough detail for a CGI scene. As for the model in game, they wanted their Master Chief. Whether it makes sense or not, it was their call.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MpyHBoiTwk

irrelevant

You sure give a lot of attention to someone who's "irrelevant" lol

Keep trying guy, you're weak.

This Funk/OddOne fight can probably be summed up in a Halo cutscene pretty easily.

Speaking of, for whatever reason I did not realize that they re-did that part of the Legendary cutscene with Anniversary. Looks pretty nice.

It's not a fight, OddOne is just some loser who can't understand that I won't give in to him when I've talked about the Pistol exhaustively, along with many others. It's not like those we're all talking out of our ass when we say the Pistol wasn't Bungie painted it to be and could still be further balanced if it were to return.

EDIT:
irrelevent

Choose one and stick with it buddio B]

put that old dang model from halo 3 into dem dere halo 4 man i tell you what

talkin' about that dang ol' blast fidelity graphics, done there an' psheeeew, road trip with a couple a' buddies killing spree to get my dang, y'know, plasma launcher man.

also oddwun pls stahp, we don't need you getting banned. halogaf needs the popcorn

TheOddOne

You sure give a lot of attention to someone who's "irrelevant" lol

Keep trying guy, you're weak.
You became irrelevent the moment you posted this:
Also nice way to avoiding the other things I said in that post.

Absolutely pathetic behavior.

also oddwun pls stahp, we don't need you getting banned. halogaf needs the popcorn
I'm done with that jackass of a person. Wants to have a civil discussion, but avoids every notion to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom