• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

u4iX

we're literally discussing halo as much as half the other people in here.

hey

Okay, let's do it like this.

Halo 4 = SnapChat
Chief = You
Cortana = Me

Is the problem you have with Cortana and Halo 4 the fact that Cortana didn't send enough... "Suggestive" material to Chief?

heckfu

Banned
Okay, let's do it like this.

Halo 4 = SnapChat
Chief = You
Cortana = Me

Is the problem you have with Cortana and Halo 4 the fact that Cortana didn't send enough... "Suggestive" material to Chief?

I think Cortana has 'suggested' plenty. Trust me...PLENTY.

It's just that Halo 4 doesn't have much replay value, once the Chief has seen it, there's not enough to come back to. We, errrr, Cortana and Chief...need some time apart.

Fuchsdh

The underlying issue with Spartan Ops from the character standpoint is you're playing as your own Spartan, but the plot is revolving around *another* group of Spartans. You're essentially going through the equivalent of Halo 2's bifurcated storyline except with a far larger cast with less to say.

SOps would have been stronger if they had just made you Majestic or cut Majestic from the plot entirely. As it was, Crimson was doing all the work while Majestic usually seemed extraneous except for maybe two instances (the final escape from Requiem and grabbing the Didact's Gift.)

The prerendered cutscenes were amazing, but I'd have taken in-game cutscenes if it meant we had a more cohesive experience. How awesome was it when you got to break free and assassinate the Elite right at the beginning of Episode 6? I felt like having everything prerendered meant we missed out on stuff like that, and forced more of the story into movies and out of the missions.

I appreciated Roland a lot as well, especially when they sort of hung a lantern on the issues with Season 1.0.

Let's argue this to the point of personal insult.

Careful now.. You don't want to be the first irrelevænt scumbag on my highly exclusive ignore list.

I'm well above such arguments and I'm ending this discussion now.

im rite bich

logo-symbol.png

The underlying issue with Spartan Ops from the character standpoint is you're playing as your own Spartan, but the plot is revolving around *another* group of Spartans. You're essentially going through the equivalent of Halo 2's bifurcated storyline except with a far larger cast with less to say.

This took me out of the experience and would've worked better if we saw our Spartan in cutscenes.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Is that guy that was the original creative director for H4, but left due to creative differences?

Was he Creative Director? I know that was the reason he left but I didn't know he had that high of a position. Or maybe I'm forgetting.

Was he Creative Director? I know that was the reason he left but I didn't know he had that high of a position. Or maybe I'm forgetting.

If I recall correctly.

Fake edit: Upon some searches for articles about his departure, some of them refer to him "creative director" and other refer to him as "narrative director".

So, not really sure.

Madness

Who's the girl?

It looks like one of the American Olympic gymnasts. That McKayla Maroney chick. I swear I've seen a couple of them recently. Don't know why, she must've become legal or something.

Edit: and there's even an off topic thread on it LOL. I'm not the only one who noticed them.

Madness

Isnt that the meme girl who go upset for not winning the gold medal?

Yup. Best Vaulter in the world, so dominant, landed her routine flawlessly only to fall in the final when it mattered and got silver.

The only reason they put her on team was because she was a 99.9% lock to win the Gold in Vault.

Am I a scumbag?
lol no. The only Halo gaffers on my ignore list are a pair of negative nancies that annoyed me beyond belief in my short stint of playing Halo/Battlefield with them. They're both nice guys for sure but ugh.
I didn't. I sort of wanted it to be like Captain America in a sense, that he's been gone a long time, and he returns to an Earth and a UNSC he doesn't know.

The problem was the focus on Cortana. Imagine if instead of 5 years, it's been 50 years. Halsey was dead etc. And somehow, the FuD crashed on Requiem, and the 'good' faction of Prometheans extracted the rampant Cortana. Then the storm Covenant search the wreckage, somehow release Chief and he doesn't know what's happened. He searches alone, thinks he's found Cortana, but instead he released Didact. Then, the Librarian tells him she'd tried to restore Cortana but it'd been too long, and we get that angry/helpless Cortana in a sense.

And Chief only finally makes contact with UNSC Infinity and Earth at the end when he needs their help to attack the Composer. Would have been a much more powerful 'Welcome Home John' and have everyone, including Spartan-IV's, an old Lasky, Palmer stare at this ancient Spartan hero etc.

Anyways, I'm just rambling now, veering towards fan fiction, so I'll stop lol.

That definitely could have been a cool idea. I do think that Chief's reuniting with the Infinity should have been handled differently. Palmer trying to act tough was semi-expected I suppose, but with how much Chief did for humanity I feel that there should have been a much bigger reaction from a host of characters. 343 could have even had just one background technician losing his shit in the back of the bridge or something for all I care.

We barely saw any reactions at all, and from what we did see it was just "Oh hey Chief. Nice to see you. General Grievous, you're shorter than I expected" bullshit.
Yup. Best Vaulter in the world, so dominant, landed her routine flawlessly only to fall in the final when it mattered and got silver.

The only reason they put her on team was because she was a 99.9% lock to win the Gold in Vault.

She was on an episode of Bones recently. Acted decently. I thought she was cute during the Olympics but not so much now.

And if we're talking about Olympic gymnasts none are better than my girl Alicia Sacramone:

Mistel

Banned
HaloGAF's first game to be a Divorce Court sim confirmed.

iK0THFpqbIloz.png

Click to 1080p-ify. Works as a wallpaper!

Awww that's cute I like the CE pistol and painting near me and funkown do you have a avatar size of the stormtrooper? I'd like to use it if you would be alright with me doing so.

What happens in the warher level :p

That definitely could have been a cool idea. I do think that Chief's reuniting with the Infinity should have been handled differently. Palmer trying to act tough was semi-expected I suppose, but with how much Chief did for humanity I feel that there should have been a much bigger reaction from a host of characters. 343 could have even had just one background technician losing his shit in the back of the bridge or something for all I care.

We barely saw any reactions at all, and from what we did see it was just "Oh hey Chief. Nice to see you. General Grievous, you're shorter than I expected" bullshit.

Chief's interaction with the UNSC were as if he had been there the whole time the was missing nobody was shocked by him turning up at the ship.

TheOddOne

Who is he?

Speaking of IGN, they just had their vote for the most anticipated games of 2014. Destiny managed to beat out TitanFall for most anticipated FPS and Halo 4 came in 4th. If you'd like to have some laughs watch the video, as Ryan "9.8" McCaffrey defends Halo 4 after one of his colleges says it was not well received.

Starts at 5:15 http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/12/13/game-scoop-2014s-most-anticipated-games
Is that guy that was the original creative director for H4, but left due to creative differences?
He first was a Creative Director and than Narrative Designer for Halo 4 before he left 343.

Oh wow. I really need to get a copy of those comics. Are all the Halo comics by Marvel this good?

Bloodlines was good. The art was great, as you can see, and the story was pretty good. Interesting characters with good build up, action, and execution. Highly recommend.

Helljumper was okay. The art was not as good as Bloodlines but still pretty good. The story was pretty average. I was never confused reading it but had to stop every once in a while and ask why. It just did not seem to have a point sometimes. Still recommend.

Uprising was a mess in the art department and the story wasn't good enough to make up for it. I was really disappointed with it and I guess I recommend it because it shows what Chief did between Halo 2 and Halo 3 but it has a bunch of other stuff crammed into it that amounts to literally nothing.

The Halo Graphic Novel has a bunch of short stories with different artists and writers. I can think of two of the stories that were fantastic (one about Sergeant Johnson, the other about some Elites battling the Flood) but can't recall the rest. It has a bunch of really cool art by a ton of different people in the back too. Recommended as well.

I think that's all the Marvel Halo books. I have them all back at my parents' house so hopefully I remembered them all correctly.

Mistel

Banned
The Halo Graphic Novel has a bunch of short stories with different artists and writers. I can think of two of the stories that were fantastic (one about Sergeant Johnson, the other about some Elites battling the Flood) but can't recall the rest. It has a bunch of really cool art by a ton of different people in the back too. Recommended as well.
In reference to the art in the back it was very good
This one was done by Lorraine Mcless who was an art director at bungie

Too bad Black Team isn't an interesting group of characters. The Spartan love affair was cringe-worthy.

But the story as a whole wasn't that bad i liked the inclusion of the magiont line that was quite a cool piece of forerunner technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom