• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistel

Banned

From Halo: Initiation #2

Holy shit, I just realized, even in the comics they're still pushing buttons. Goddamn.

Is that the same artist as the arbiter and other Plamer image? That is quite a large leap in quality. Why does every thing involve buttons all of a sudden in halo post buttongate in spartan ops.

Ghazi

It doesn't seem so:
m1s4YZq.png
They only have the same colorist and one cover artist.

The Arbiter image is from Escalation, and the other one is, of course, from Initiation.

Here's more from Initiation:

Is that the same artist as the arbiter and other Plamer image? That is quite a large leap in quality. Why does every thing involve buttons all of a sudden in halo post buttongate in spartan ops.

Differents artists I think, also what happened to escalation, it stopped at #3.

It hasn't gotten to #3 yet, has it?

Kinda lost track of the comic then, I remember insurrectionist took the Infinity, I tought it was volume #2

The guy in the black suit is "Lex Luthor" Jun.

Ghazi

Differents artists I think, also what happened to escalation, it stopped at #3.

It hasn't gotten to #3 yet, has it?

These are the release dates posted on Halo Nation:

After Issue #1 #2-4 are pre-order only, so yeah. You must be confusing Escalation with another comic.

That's good to hear hopefully the new artist is kept for the whole run of comics they do with dark horse, is the guy in the suit Jun?

Thanks sub zero :D
Oh, I misunderstood. I have no idea.

Any time you retcon, especially with the intention of extending a story never meant to be extended you are going to have issues. Bungie basically killed everyone so 343i needed to start over. That said, they did a piss poor job.

Palmer is the "chief" of the SP IV's. She is way to cookie cutter and bland (and annoying)
The SPIV's are generic and dude bro. Now, one could say that the SP II's were "breed" to be the way they were. The SP III's were in the middle of a war. These new guys seem like they are on sprint break, sometimes even enjoying it. I get that none of the original trainers were around to oversea the SP IV program which I could understand if anyone bothered to explain anything. Who the hell is Palmer anyway?

I think FUD should have been consolidated to introduce Palmer and the SP IV's to explain how they even exist. Especially since she seems to have a relationship with Lasky.

Dammit i think they are going to wait for titanfall to launch before speaking about it.

Another stupid management philosophy with MS/343 regarding Halo. Why are they not showering us with footage? I saw Frankie's post about playing the game? So there is a lot to see I am guessing.

You want to learn something about managing big IPs look at your competition. We have been seeing Destiny for over a year. A game not due now until Sept. We have seen the Order 1866 and how long have we seen Titanfall? If I had Halo I would be pimping it NOW. Especially with Sony ahead in the next gen race.

Get people hype man, you announced it, now give people a reason to think about waiting on these other big IPs. Look at the competition, Destiny, The Order 1866, CoD, New Borderlands. It's the first fall of the new consoles when everyone launches the big guys. GET HALO OUT THERE.

I can tolerate the coloring in those comics but wth is up with their faces? She doesn't even look like Palmer. The hair gives it away but her face and jaw structure is off.

Edit: 1 part had her face about right. The others are way off. Imo. And the coloring is quite dark.

Fuchsdh

Yeah Jun shows up in Initiation, takes on Kurt's role.

In reference to the art in the back it was very good

This one was done by Lorraine Mcless who was an art director at bungie

But the story as a whole wasn't that bad i liked the inclusion of the magiont line that was quite a cool piece of forerunner technology.

Oh I think there was a lot of cool stuff in Bloodlines, the time spent on the Covenant characters, the alliance they have to find their friends, the monitor
screwing with a Spartan's HUD to make him hallucinate and attack his friends
, but the problem was the central Spartans are annoying and don't seem to make any sense--we're supposed to believe that the Spartans not only had trysts despite the whole libido-killing augmentations, but that when they found out about it they turned on one of their own and
ripped out her eye?
Doesn't fit at all with every other representation.

Spartan Black's other appearance in Halo Evolutions is similarly really interesting from the Covenant perspective, but the Spartan characters aren't great. Both stories would have been better canonically and from a characterization standpoint with some already established Spartan teams.

(Besides we've still got Grey Team out there doing apparently nothing consequential.

Cole Protocol is still the worst Halo book by a mile.)

Korosenai

I've kind of been getting into the Halo mood lately and decided to get on Halo 4 and noticed there is no Dominion playlist anymore.... which is odd since like 3-5 of the maps were pretty much designed with Dominion in mind (if i'm remembering correctly).

Karl2177

Playing some Reach right now. First game I do Firefight and manage to quadruple my teammates' score. Then switched over to MM and played some Snipers. First game is Snipers Pro(yay) on Hemorrhage(ugh). 23/0/2 with a Be The Bullet, a Running Riot, and a Perfection.

Fuchsdh

I've kind of been getting into the Halo mood lately and decided to get on Halo 4 and noticed there is no Dominion playlist anymore.... which is odd since like 3-5 of the maps were pretty much designed with Dominion in mind (if i'm remembering correctly).

Dominion rotated out last week; it's been out of regular rotation for a while. It is a shame as it does work really well now that they toned down the power weapon drops; it's a fun mode I hope returns as an objective gametype in the future (and hopefully with greater Forge customization too so we can use those turrets and dynamic base pieces elsewhere for customs.)

So, do they ever explain what happened to him? I really want to read these comics, but I find Palmer and her pals so unappealing.

As in how he got off Reach? Not really.

Palmer needs to be bitch slapped. Buttons being pressed in comics too. A Spartan telling another Spartan to slow down? Marines owning Spartans?

What is wrong with the world..

Mistel

Banned
Yeah Jun shows up in Initiation, takes on Kurt's role.

Oh I think there was a lot of cool stuff in Bloodlines, the time spent on the Covenant characters, the alliance they have to find their friends, the monitor
screwing with a Spartan's HUD to make him hallucinate and attack his friends
, but the problem was the central Spartans are annoying and don't seem to make any sense--we're supposed to believe that the Spartans not only had trysts despite the whole libido-killing augmentations, but that when they found out about it they turned on one of their own and
ripped out her eye?
Doesn't fit at all with every other representation.

Spartan Black's other appearance in Halo Evolutions is similarly really interesting from the Covenant perspective, but the Spartan characters aren't great. Both stories would have been better canonically and from a characterization standpoint with some already established Spartan teams.

(Besides we've still got Grey Team out there doing apparently nothing consequential.

Cole Protocol is still the worst Halo book by a mile.)

Spartans portrayal in media outside of the main games varies with the problems with team black most are not really likable or conflicting with other material removing a eye so they take training seriously is a bit harsh.

Spartan teams don't really have a good track record Noble all dead except Jun, Gauntlet and Echo mentioned in new Alexandria are probably those in lone wolf an that's a single game. Lots of Spartans died in ghosts of onyx (favorite halo book) as well.

Any follow up to the Spirt of Fire and omega team or have they straight up disappeared?

Halo Waypoint just tweeted this out:
BbjS0ZQCIAEzu6z.png:large

I mean, looking at the pencils the art isn't all that bad. A bit lacking in detail, sure, but certainly not bad. Even in inking it doesn't look bad. It's the color job that really messes it up, IMO.

What is otherwise pretty bad about it is that you can't really tell what's going on looking just at the art. Most comics today can be "read" by just looking at the art and you'll get the gist of the story. Looking at these four panels, I just get that there's a Spartan that sees somebody. Is that the point of the page? Probably not. The storytelling via art needs to be improved here.

So, do they ever explain what happened to him? I really want to read these comics, but I find Palmer and her pals so unappealing.

As far as I know the story is just that Jun dropped Halsey off at ONI Headquarters(Where Fred and co eventually meet up with Halsey in First Strike) and then he left the planet and got to Earth safely. Then got commissioned into leading the Spartan IV project.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

Madness

I'm inclined to agree Frank, we need some news. At least tell us some details from the interoffice matches ie. DEllis used weapon 1 and got 10 kills, 4 of them headshots, Quinn used weapon 2 etc. Who was the best player in the office that day.

Spartans portrayal in media outside of the main games varies with the problems with team black most are not really likable or conflicting with other material removing a eye so they take training seriously is a bit harsh.

Spartan teams don't really have a good track record Noble all dead except Jun, Gauntlet and Echo mentioned in new Alexandria are probably those in lone wolf an that's a single game. Lots of Spartans died in ghosts of onyx (favorite halo book) as well.

Any follow up to the Spirt of Fire and omega team or have they straight up disappeared?

Spirit of Fire is in long term cryosleep until they can be rescued.

I'm inclined to agree Frank, we need some news. At least tell us some details from the interoffice matches ie. DEllis used weapon 1 and got 10 kills, 4 of them headshots, Quinn used weapon 2 etc. Who was the best player in the office that day.

eh I'd rather not hear anything until they're ready to show it off in it's entirety. Really don't want to see gameplay vidoc with no armor abilities/perks/sprint/etc just for it to end up being pre-release 40% finished gameplay.

Another stupid management philosophy with MS/343 regarding Halo. Why are they not showering us with footage? I saw Frankie's post about playing the game? So there is a lot to see I am guessing.

Yeah but if the design philosophy changes every fortnight anything shown now becomes redundant. One day you're watching the BR.gif on Haven, the next the player's looking through a wall to express their personality. The last six months of Halo 4's MP design seemed like it was being dictated by a computer algorithm fed on bar graphs and pie charts.

Mistel

Banned
Spirit of Fire is in long term cryosleep until they can be rescued.

I assume the skeleton crew mentioned in the game is there to make sure the ship survives and get rid of Serina when she goes rampant. Shouldn't the ship turn up soon since they said it would take decades to return and they left like about 20 years ish before CE happened.

Jun was assigned to protect Halsey near the end of Halo Reach and as a result was pretty much put on a bus for the rest of the Reach event. Halsey made it out alive, ergo Jun (debatably one of the best Spartans you could ask for to protect a target, given he'd be well aware of any long-range assassination attempts) did his job well and found a way out of the front lines in favor of training Spartan-IVs.

It's subtle, sure, but it's actually a little endearing knowing that certain Spartans who manage to do their job well and get out alive (especially the Spartan-IIIs, who were always viewed as expendable above all others) actually have futures that don't involve fighting for days on end the way Chief seems to do.

Emotional baggage aside, I'd at least hope Chief got a little time off after the events of Halo 4. Spartan Ops didn't feature him at all so I'd guess he's been busy with paperwork.

I assume the skeleton crew mentioned in the game is there to make sure the ship survives and get rid of Serina when she goes rampant. Shouldn't the ship turn up soon since they said it would take decades to return and they left like about 20 years ish before CE happened.

That's actually kind of depressing, now that I think about it. Either way, yeah, they should be getting home sometime soon - without slipspace equipment (which the UNSC actually uses to relay transmissions sometimes, thanks to relays set up in hyperspace) they'd still be years out from even receiving distress signals, meaning they could have been taken out by stray Covenant patrols for all we know. Micromanaging may not be as effective in a vacuum, especially if your damn reactor of all things is mounted atop your ship with little to no protective armor around it.

Yeah but if the design philosophy changes every fortnight anything shown now becomes redundant. One day you're watching the BR.gif on Haven, the next the player's looking through a wall to express their personality. The last six months of Halo 4's MP design seemed like it was being dictated by a computer algorithm fed on bar graphs and pie charts.

if the design philosophy is changing taht frequently with like less than a year until ship, then maybe they're doing something wrong.

But that's the thing, we should be included more during these design/development phases. Had we seen that BR gif on Haven, then a week later see it changed we possibly could've had an impact on how it ended up.

They need to start including us more with these things throughout the entire process IMO. We're the ones who are going to bleed over this game once it's released, why not include us with weekly streams if the games are up and running already? They need to be confident that people will buy a great Halo product anyway, so letting us in more could only benefit them. Sure there may be some backlash if we disagree with a design choice, but that would be amended with time and perseverance.

They can help us help them while at the same time making the fans feel like we're a part of something special and not as disconnected as we usually feel.

//=======

Take Ordnance Drops for example. Those could be cool as shit, but the way they were implemented was poor. Had we seen that during the development process, maybe it would've resulted in something like we see in Team Throwback with the AA's being dropped. However, because they were poorly implemented players want to scrap Personal Ordnance Drops entirely since they can't trust 343 to make the "right" decisions that won't break the game. Including us more could only benefit everyone IMO and bring a sense of UNITY to the Halo community; something that's been lacking for quite some time.

But that's the thing, we should be included more during these design/development phases. Had we seen that BR gif on Haven, then a week later see it changed we possibly could've had an impact on how it ended up.

They need to start including us more with these things throughout the entire process IMO. We're the ones who are going to bleed over this game once it's released, why not include us with weekly streams if the games are up and running already? They need to be confident that people will buy a great Halo product anyway, so letting us in more could only benefit them. Sure there may be some backlash if we disagree with a design choice, but that would be amended with time and perseverance.

They can help us help them while at the same time making the fans feel like we're a part of something special and not as disconnected as we usually feel.

//=======

Take Ordnance Drops for example. Those could be cool as shit, but the way they were implemented was poor. Had we seen that during the development process, maybe it would've resulted in something like we see in Team Throwback with the AA's being dropped. However, because they were poorly implemented players want to scrap Personal Ordnance Drops entirely since they can't trust 343 to make the "right" decisions that won't break the game. Including us more could only benefit everyone IMO and bring a sense of UNITY to the Halo community; something that's been lacking for quite some time.

Or we could get rid of all the Pandering to cod elements.

TheOddOne

The first impression has the biggest overall impact. If it's poor, people will remember it forever―even if all the initial problems are fixed later. In development stuff is often nasty and embarrassing and in no shape to be shown to the public.

I think a magazine reveal is still in order to get the overall vision of the project out there, after that we will probably get a regular amount of footage and/or info on a weekly/monthly basis.

Mistel

Banned
Jun was assigned to protect Halsey near the end of Halo Reach and as a result was pretty much put on a bus for the rest of the Reach event. Halsey made it out alive, ergo Jun (debatably one of the best Spartans you could ask for to protect a target, given he'd be well aware of any long-range assassination attempts) did his job well and found a way out of the front lines in favor of training Spartan-IVs.

It's subtle, sure, but it's actually a little endearing knowing that certain Spartans who manage to do their job well and get out alive (especially the Spartan-IIIs, who were always viewed as expendable above all others) actually have futures that don't involve fighting for days on end the way Chief seems to do.

Emotional baggage aside, I'd at least hope Chief got a little time off after the events of Halo 4. Spartan Ops didn't feature him at all so I'd guess he's been busy with paperwork.

That's actually kind of depressing, now that I think about it. Either way, yeah, they should be getting home sometime soon - without slipspace equipment (which the UNSC actually uses to relay transmissions sometimes, thanks to relays set up in hyperspace) they'd still be years out from even receiving distress signals, meaning they could have been taken out by stray Covenant patrols for all we know. Micromanaging may not be as effective in a vacuum, especially if your damn reactor of all things is mounted atop your ship with little to no protective armor around it.

There was a little comic in the halo graphic novel about master chief's time off shopping isn't that fun in power armor.
160px-Milk.jpg

Didn't his helmet have a recording ability why not use that instead of tons of paperwork? Master chief is pretty much alone unless any of the S II want to spend time with him, he is much more of a super solider used to low odds than a person who is connectable to emotionally.

Regarding the Spirit of fire did they check for flood spores before they left shield world 459 as that would really ruin your trip back if your crew became infected? It would be nice for them to show up again, I liked Ander's and Serina was quite funny as well.

if the design philosophy is changing taht frequently with like less than a year until ship, then maybe they're doing something wrong.

Hopefully Halo 5's development isn't like that obviously. I just remember major things being added quite late on in Halo 4's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHsZoz5_yNo

At E3 and in the GI reveal there was no sign of personal kill streaks. Until then it was global ordnance being touted as the sole power weapon distribution system. The earliest I recall hearing about killstreaks was from Wu, himself confused as to what he saw (he mentioned maybe seeing a laser icon next to a d-pad prompt).

Anyway, 60 fps and dedicated servers are such a massive, massive opportunity for Halo. Like this really could be the best online Halo multiplayer ever if they stick to the right principles.

Hopefully Halo 5's development isn't like that obviously. I just remember major things being added quite late on in Halo 4's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHsZoz5_yNo

At E3 and in the GI reveal there was no sign of personal kill streaks. Until then it was global ordnance being touted as the sole power weapon distribution system. The earliest I recall hearing about killstreaks was from Wu, himself confused as to what he saw (he mentioned maybe seeing a laser icon next to a d-pad prompt).

Anyway, 60 fps and dedicated servers are such a massive, massive opportunity for Halo. Like this really could be the best online Halo multiplayer ever if they stick to the right principles

Like real Halo and not the Drivel and pandering to CoD that 343 did with Halo 4.

There was a little comic in the halo graphic novel about master chief's time off shopping isn't that fun in power armor.
160px-Milk.jpg

Didn't his helmet have a recording ability why not use that instead of tons of paperwork? Master chief is pretty much alone unless any of the S II want to spend time with him, he is much more of a super solider used to low odds than a person who is connectable to emotionally.

I didn't really mean it in a literal sense, but it's a pretty big hangup that Halo 3 left thanks to it being a bookend - due to his presumed death, Chief was "posthumously" awarded the highest rank in the Navy, Master Chief Petty Officer if I'm remembering right. I'm probably not remembering right. Anyways, the highest rank in the Navy is an administrative position, meaning that once Chief got back to Earth, he'd actually have a position as a paper-pusher rather than being on the front lines. All it'd take from 343 is a line or two saying how Chief spent a couple months going through processing to be "demoted" to fight on the front lines again to explain the Spartan Ops absence, but something tells me we're gonna get a "HALO 5: START A NEW FIGHT" sort of explanation.

But that's the thing, we should be included more during these design/development phases.... They need to start including us more with these things throughout the entire process IMO.

With Bravo, Neighbor, Dersky et al there early on hopefully stupidity is being weeded out at its germinative stage. Like, whoever thought of the survive the exploding vehicle perk should be fired on the spot for not having the franchises' best interests at heart.

If Halo 5 were to have a three week beta in March, would anyone (who hasn't already) buy on Xbox One for it? Will they even bother with a beta?

Mistel

Banned
Like real Halo and not the Drivel and pandering to CoD that 343 did with Halo 4.

I do hope all cod elements stay out of all halo games from now on if anything 4 proved that it would never retain the audience. As those people who played because of the changes left for COD and long time players left because of the changes made to appeal to a different audience.

Halo 4 should be used and remembered as an example that how changes to a game to appeal to a non core audience that in my honest opinion provided no improvements to the franchise as a whole shouldn't happen at any stage of development.

It's nice to have a bigger audience but it defeats the point of the changes if you end up with a hollow husk that pales to reach by comparison so to speak.

Hears hoping halo 5 stays to the arena shooter formula that made halo enjoyable in the first place, a decent BR and the return of the chopper would be a nice thing to have in the next halo.

With Bravo, Neighbor, Dersky et al there early on hopefully stupidity is being weeded out at its germinative stage. Like, whoever thought of the survive the exploding vehicle perk should be fired on the spot for not having the franchises' best interests at heart.

If Halo 5 were to have a three week beta in March, would anyone (who hasn't already) buy on Xbox One for it? Will they even bother with a beta?

The "keep it secret, keep it safe" nature of Halo 4 has me thinking there probably won't be a beta. A lot of their problems strike me as issues from being a first party company of Microsoft and not the wishes of 343 themselves, though.

TheOddOne

Hears hoping halo 5 stays to the arena shooter formula that made halo enjoyable in the first place, a decent BR and the return of the chopper would be a nice thing to have in the next halo.
I fear that because of the new hardware capabilities they will be focusing on an even larger form of BTB. There will be smaller maps of course, but it won’t be well supported—mostly a fancied up Forge will probably help to fill that void.

u4iX

Halo 5 Multiplayer Reveal Spoilers Below:

"In Halo 4, Big Team Infinity Slayer was one of the most longstanding and popular playlists throughout its lifetime. So, in Halo 5, we've made the game bigger, badder, and more of what the core Halo fans love. Competitive multiplayer has now been scaled up to 12 versus 12 for Big Team Battle, along with a whole new element to Personal Ordnance Drops... Personal Vehicle Drops. With the introduction of PVD's, we're also introducing a whole new class of vehicle, one man, smaller vehicles such as UNSC Cycles, and brand new Promethean and Covenant counterparts. These lighter, faster, more fragile vehicles will allow you to tactically call down a personal transport for your spartan to quickly navigate the now up-scaled maps you'll find in Halo 5 War Games."

Mistel

Banned
I didn't really mean it in a literal sense, but it's a pretty big hangup that Halo 3 left thanks to it being a bookend - due to his presumed death, Chief was "posthumously" awarded the highest rank in the Navy, Master Chief Petty Officer if I'm remembering right. I'm probably not remembering right. Anyways, the highest rank in the Navy is an administrative position, meaning that once Chief got back to Earth, he'd actually have a position as a paper-pusher rather than being on the front lines. All it'd take from 343 is a line or two saying how Chief spent a couple months going through processing to be "demoted" to fight on the front lines again to explain the Spartan Ops absence, but something tells me we're gonna get a "HALO 5: START A NEW FIGHT" sort of explanation.

My bad but I assume that chief will conveniently not have a desk job in the next halo especially because of the opening interview with Halsey ONI would have something sinister planned most likely upon his return especially after the librarian's tinkering.

If halo 5 had a beta in march I get one and play as no franchise exclusives really interest me on the PlayStation, i am just waiting for a price drop or larger memory space/ external hard drive support realistically before I buy one.

I fear that because of the new hardware capabilities they will be focusing on an even larger form of BTB. There will be smaller maps of course, but it won’t be well supported—mostly a fancied up Forge will probably help to fill that void.

I hope that there is a healthy balance I enjoy BTB as much as the next person but halo 4 neglected objective games and that was especially disappointing . Team sizes should remain the same or is there a game that does BTB style matches with bigger numbers where it works?

Halo 5 Multiplayer Reveal Spoilers Below:

"In Halo 4, Big Team Infinity Slayer was one of the most longstanding and popular playlists throughout its lifetime. So, in Halo 5, we've made the game bigger, badder, and more of what the core Halo fans love. Competitive multiplayer has now been scaled up to 12 versus 12 for Big Team Battle, along with a whole new element to Personal Ordnance Drops... Personal Vehicle Drops. With the introduction of PVD's, we're also introducing a whole new class of vehicle, one man, smaller vehicles such as UNSC Cycles, and brand new Promethean and Covenant counterparts. These lighter, faster, more fragile vehicles will allow you to tactically call down a personal transport for your spartan to quickly navigate the now up-scaled maps you'll find in Halo 5 War Games."

That is horrible I hope we never reach this scale.

TheOddOne

I hope that there is a healthy balance I enjoy BTB as much as the next person but halo 4 neglected objective games and that was especially disappointing . Team sizes should remain the same or is there a game that does BTB style matches with bigger numbers where it works?
I have no proof of this, but I think they even might go as large as Battlefield maps and amount of players.

I even think that every big shooter franchise is going to move to bigger multiplayer spaces.

I think I played some of the new Dominion gametypes one you only capture B, no shields doors, no radar it feels kinda empty just defending B and another Dominon type with no power weapons defending A,B and C which feels more better than the normal dominion gametype.

There is a reason of why they removed dominion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom