• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl2177

Reach BTB is shit. Whoever thought that the Banshee was balanced shouldn't have a job in anything requiring critical thinking skills. Maybe something like pulling the McNuggets out of the heating rack, but even they would probably manage to fuck that up too.

Reach BTB is shit. Whoever thought that the Banshee was balanced shouldn't have a job in anything requiring critical thinking skills. Maybe something like pulling the McNuggets out of the heating rack, but even they would probably manage to fuck that up too.
What was even more crazy was that everyone who really played Reach knew it needed nerfing, yet the much-hyped TU did absolutely nothing about it (although they nerfed armor lock, which was just about the only thing you could use to counter a Banshee).

TheXbox

They can't afford to fuck this title up, the series can't afford one more bomb.
I don't know, FF and Sonic have been shit for years and they still make tons of money. Maybe the FPS genre is too crowded, though, with Titanfall, CoD, and Destiny all out next year. Something might have to give, and if 343 shits the bed a second time it may as well be Halo. Honestly, there's nothing in the world I want right now more than a really great new Halo game, but I don't know if Microsoft can do it anymore.

I don't know, FF and Sonic have been shit for years and they still make tons of money. Maybe the FPS genre is too crowded, though, with Titanfall, CoD, and Destiny all out next year. Something might have to give, and if 343 shits the bed a second time it may as well be Halo. Honestly, there's nothing in the world I want right now more than a really great new Halo game, but I don't know if Microsoft can do it anymore.

And we thought Halo had a lot to deal with releasing a week before Black Ops 2.. Now they have Destiny and a new CoD game to deal with, along with Titanfall if that game has legs.

Timing and execution will be everything for Halo 5.

TheXbox

And we thought Halo had a lot to deal with releasing a week before Black Ops 2.. Now they have Destiny and a new CoD game to deal with, along with Titanfall if that game has legs.

Timing and execution will be everything for Halo 5.
Yeah, no kidding. It's like we're looking at the World Cup group stages and Halo is the USA. The stakes haven't been this high since Bungie almost didn't make Halo 2. Kinda scary.

Cow

To be honest I just can't see Titanfall having legs, I don't get the hype. Looks like cod with a new style of movement and robots.

Timing will be important obviously, but I think more importantly Halo needs to focus on differentiating itself from the crowd.

heckfu

Banned
To be honest I just can't see Titanfall having legs, I don't get the hype. Looks like cod with a new style of movement and robots.

Timing will be important obviously, but I think more importantly Halo needs to focus on differentiating itself from the crowd.

You just need to play it and you'll understand

willow ve

Frankie does a drive by teasing a new game, Speedy spends a shit ton of his parents money, and some kids don't know who Wu is.

Feels Like Halo
GAF

Hire Juices.

TheXbox

Same reason people think Destiny will be big, they're both coming from studios that have completely revolutionized shooters. If Titanfall can reach anywhere near the level of success as CoD4 did, it will be absolutely huge. That's a big if, but so is 343 making a good Halo game.

Titanfall's player movement immediately makes it unique in today's shooter market. Plays very little like COD.

Madness

What do you mean? TitanFall won almost every major game critics award including best shooter, best game at E3 etc. Everyone who's played it has said it's perhaps the best/funnest shooter they've played.

You've just said why it's got hype, it looks like CoD but with entirely new movement and 'robots'. The movement will completely change the way we look at games like CoD and I wouldn't be surprised if more devs wanted to start implementing fast movement or things like double jumps, wall running and we have a renaissance of fast movement shooters soon.

Ghazi

just beat dishonored today.

One of the best games i've ever played.
I bought it a couple weeks ago, haven't finished it though. I'm at the part where you're just returning to the
Hound Pitts Pub after escaping Daud's place
. The game is surprisingly amazing, so satisfying to get through the whole thing in stealth.

Mix

I got it last year this time and I fell in love with it. It would totally work as an open world game and does a great job of making you feel like it is open world.

Titanfall's player movement immediately makes it unique in today's shooter market. Plays very little like COD.

This is what has me most excited for Titanfall. Movement, awareness and decision making are the foundation of me having any skill in Halo or FPS games and what I most enjoy beating an enemy with. Reading how Titanfall's movement is the major "feature" has me eagerly waiting to get my grubby little hands on it.

This is what has me most excited for Titanfall. Movement, awareness and decision making are the foundation of me having any skill in Halo or FPS games and what I most enjoy beating an enemy with. Reading how Titanfall's movement is the major "feature" has me eagerly waiting to get my grubby little hands on it.

So why the heck do you like radar? It's just a crutch that gimps movement, awareness and decision making.

Sound-based radar if it has to be in as default is the way to go. Having dots show up only when people are firing weapons, not when they're running around. I doubt radar will change as a motion tracker in Halo, but people need to understand how limiting that shit is to gameplay.

Pffff people complained about they didnt see who kill them in Battlefield Bad co so they put an after death cam and destroyed that feeling.

gAg CruSh3r

I started playing it but I also started to play Fallout 3 GOTY and I am almost done with that. I might be finishing Dishonored sometime early next year I hope. If I finish Fallout 3 this year.

Motion vs sound-based is something they wouldn't have to make a huge thing out of because most people probably wouldn't notice, but naturally accept.

This really is a big deal that we rarely talk about, and would make games play much better across all ranges of players. It's something the better players abuse to their advantage while the lesser-skilled players think it's helping them, when in reality it's hurting the quality of matches on a meta game level.

I feel like complaining a little about the constant following of some of my other online profiles (YouTube, Twitter, Other Forums, etc) and off-topic mentioning of said profiles sometimes going on here, but at the same I have shared my other profiles, plus I've already merged my Online Username with my Real Life name, so I have no real right to complain when I made my stuff open to the public, plus I act like an ass sometimes so there's that. Still, its a little weird. :p

nillapuddin

Motion vs sound-based is something they wouldn't have to make a huge thing out of because most people probably wouldn't notice, but naturally accept.

This really is a big deal that we rarely talk about, and would make games play much better across all ranges of players. It's something the better players abuse to their advantage while the lesser-skilled players think it's helping them, when in reality it's hurting the quality of matches on a meta game level.

I'm not sure we've ever brought it up?

I'm surprised by the initial and instant response to change the system.

I really enjoy the concept of crouch walking, and the awareness of the motion tracker, but now I'm conflicted.

Movement.

Just make sure that there aren't any exploits like the camo glitch in Halo 4.
Motion = blip on the radar
Camo (with/without motion)= blip party on the radar
No motion = no blip

... camo glitch?
Elaborate plz

Caayn

... camo glitch?
Elaborate plz
The glitch/bug thingy were players with active camo active won't show up on the radar.

To elaborate on my previous post, players sitting still with camo turned on should still show up as blips on the radar but more subtle(less blips, softer color that blends slightly with the radar for example) than players moving with camo.

So why the heck do you like radar? It's just a crutch that gimps movement, awareness and decision making.

Sound-based radar if it has to be in as default is the way to go. Having dots show up only when people are firing weapons, not when they're running around. I doubt radar will change as a motion tracker in Halo, but people need to understand how limiting that shit is to gameplay.

This is a part of why I prefer default to say MLG or hardcore. I love radar and I don't find it a crutch. Three main reasons:

1. Stealth, no such thing in hardcore settings e.g. crouch or slow walking.

2. The movement and awareness skills/variety e.g. radar baiting or feinting around corners or verticality without giving away you actual facing direction etc.

3. Pre-encounter awareness e.g. Solo vs. about to encounter a whole team.

Yes I fully understand why no radar, team communication and awareness without radar are preferred in MLG settings. I don't enjoy playing that way though.

Vico

Hola is back!
halo_5__the_old_west_by_winterspectrum-d6xqk83.jpg
Winterspectrum

daedalius

So since I got the collectors edition of H4 with the big map pack multipass, I can't download them onto another 360?

I have already redeemed the code on my main xbox, but I have another one up in the office hooked up to a new monitor. I figured redeeming the code would allow me to redownload all of the maps... am I wrong?

So since I got the collectors edition of H4 with the big map pack multipass, I can't download them onto another 360?

I have already redeemed the code on my main xbox, but I have another one up in the office hooked up to a new monitor. I figured redeeming the code would allow me to redownload all of the maps... am I wrong?

are they in your download history? also did you liscense transfer to the new xbox

Caayn

You need to download the wargames map pass(may have a weid name like the infinity actual kit or something similar) from your download history otherwise Halo 4 can't recognize that you have it.

This will be the last gametype port I make from Reach and Halo 3 in order to keep focus on Sabotage and other never seen before gametypes for Multiplayer.

During the last months I went from changing little strings on existing gametypes to create my owns from scratch and it has been an awesome ride so far.

Thank you guys for appreciating my work, I tried my best to deliver the most similar experience as possible. Hope you enjoy it!

Direct download link

Stockpile gameplay video

Stockpile is a team-based gametype where two teams fight for four neutral beacons which appear randomly throughout the map and return them to their respective capture points, making it somewhat similar to Capture the Flag.

Points are not awarded instantly when the beacon carrier drops the flag on the capture points; there is a timed countdown of sixty seconds (default time) on each capture point and successfully holding the capture point as well as the beacon after the countdown will award the winning team points.

These are the default settings I came up with, you CAN and SHOULD make ones of your own, to better reflect your preferences.

Beacon Carrier Traits: 200% melee damage multiplier, Sprint disabled, AA use disabled, Waypoint visible to allies.

Cooldown Traits: weapon pick up disabled.

Stockpile options:

- Collection time
- Beacon points value
- Beacon count
- Beacon placement
- Beacon navpoint
- Beacon carrier cooldown time
- Synchronyzed stockpiles
- Lock beacons in stockpiles

Things you might find interesting:

You can choose to have a visible waypoint over a beacon or not.

You can choose to have a visible waypoint over a beacon carrier by tweaking the beacon carrier traits.

Vico

Good job, Gabo. I never liked Stockpile, though.
Well, actually, I did, but only during the Beta.

Could you recap the gametypes you made? I might compile them in an article on our website.

are they in your download history? also did you liscense transfer to the new xbox

They wouldn't be in the download history of this box, and no I didn't license transfer them as I might want to play downstairs on my big TV sometime as well.

You need to download the wargames map pass(may have a weid name like the infinity actual kit or something similar) from your download history otherwise Halo 4 can't recognize that you have it.
Okay.

1) Your download history is specific to your Xbox LIVE account. It remains the same on any Xbox 360 console through which you view it.

2) If you've already redeemed your War Games Map Pass and also already downloaded the Crimson, Majestic, and Castle map packs, the map packs will appear individually in your Download History, and they can be re-downloaded at any time onto any Xbox 360 on which you are signed in.

3) The Infinity Actual Kit is, I believe, simply a key or group of keys to unlock the limited edition disc-locked content (the Prime-skinned Recruit Armor, the Prime-skinned Assault Rifle, the Prime emblem background, and the Limited emblem). It has nothing to do with the War Games Map Pass. Also, I do not believe the War Games Map Pass appears in anyone's download history.

4) A license transfer would only be necessary if you wanted to use the content offline on a console, and would transfer ALL of your Xbox 360 licenses to said console. It's probably unnecessary in this instance.

This is a part of why I prefer default to say MLG or hardcore. I love radar and I don't find it a crutch. Three main reasons:

1. Stealth, no such thing in hardcore settings e.g. crouch or slow walking.

You can't have stealth without radar? The main difference is that it doesn't slow games down for gametypes without motion tracker.

2. The movement and awareness skills/variety e.g. radar baiting or feinting around corners or verticality without giving away you actual facing direction etc.

This usually ends up in players fleeing engagements and like you said, running around corners (away from battles, something that's been an increasing problem with Halo thanks to sprint and a myriad of options to escape any given engagement).

Get shot once, run away and watch the red dot. This slows the games down to a crawl, and can get real silly when running circles around objects because you can easily look at a motion tracker.

3. Pre-encounter awareness e.g. Solo vs. about to encounter a whole team.

Massive crutch. Motion tracker gimps your awareness potential because instead of focusing on the screen and battles around you, your attention is on a little motion tracker, watching red dots move around. For as much as Halo tries to be a team game, they sure give the individual player so many options to avoid fights, motion tracker being one of them. Think about Objective games too; just sit in a corner and wait for the red dots to enter your base..

You can get that same information just by being aware of your surroundings. The only difference with motion tracker is that the distance is usually broken, so you can pretty much see where players are at all times on small maps, leading to uninteresting engagements and again, gimping your potential as a player.

So how about your thoughts on sound-based radar? It's essentially just as helpful as motion tracker, except it doesn't gimp movement as much. I think it would be a good compromise instead of removing it completely (for players who depend on it) or keeping it as is (because it's just a crutch that hurts the quality of matches).

Someone should try making Camo a powerup and replacing the AA with an Impostor ability. All it does is make your motion tracker blip neutral (like a teammate) and changes the color of your armor to that of the enemy team. If it's FFA, it gets randomized to another player color and you show up as a vehicle-style dot.

It wouldn't work if you picked up objectives, of course, and it'd have Promethean Vision levels of duration, meaning you'd have to time your Spy shenanigans right.

Fotos

Just finished Killzone: Shadow Fall. It was better than I thought it would be. Definitely some Halo-ish things in there. The game has some really cool environments which gets me really excited to see what Halo 5 will look like on the Xbox One.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom