• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
It puts sadness into my heart that people would even want perks in Halo :(...

You're giving people too much credit. 90% don't know the intricacies of the Halo sandbox like we do here. Most people won't know why perks wouldn't work in Halo. They liked them in Call of Duty, why couldn't they work in Halo, is what they are thinking.

But, people do know what is fun or not. And by the population drop, people could judge that Halo 4 was not really fun.

EDIT: J10 is also right. 343i/Microsoft kind of went Stockholm Syndrome on there and figured, if our competitor is beating us in the FPS market, we need to make our flagship title more like the competition. And that's what is enabling the game to fail. People like Halo because it's different. And with Halo verging more and more into the white-noise territory, people are willing to give up and move on to other platforms/franchises.

nillapuddin

why wouldn't it be viable?

I can only conclude that any single Gold user having access to unlimited secondary accounts would lead to pretty blatant misuse of the system

also

Loadouts are here for good.
We just have to make them "work" in Halo

I think about that all the time, when I am not playing Borderlands I will have to dump my brain on it

I still can't believe perks infected Halo. That was ONE THING I never thought Halo would get.. but it did.
Iron sights will never be in Halo.
Right?

And that reminds me, what ever happened to those killcams? Damn.

gAg CruSh3r

I still can't believe perks infected Halo. That was ONE THING I never thought Halo would get.. but it did.
Iron sights will never be in Halo.
Right?

And that reminds me, what ever happened to those killcams? Damn.

They should really consider a final Killcam for Team Slayer.

No perks at all. Loadouts sure, they make sense for Invasion.

Halo doesn't need perks. It needs more customization options.

EDIT:
I think that using perks offers a more user-friendly interface for customizing attributes though, as well as being easier to test for game-breaking effects. Just get rid of the tac/support dichotomy and make overshields/camos as perks, then allow players to stack a reasonable number of them. Would be faster than the current system of menu drilling.

Sounds like player traits combined with loadout options. Not "perks" or other player mods to be changed on the fly.

Perks are an illusion to make players believe they're making their characters better when in reality they're making minor tweaks to balance. Overshield/Camo as player traits should be left to the person creating the gametype (which I think you might be saying, in which case yes stacking them would be cool and something I thought 343 would allow when announcing these armor mods/perks), not something that players have access to in Spartan customization. The only thing players should be able to customize are how their Spartans look and their weapons in Slot 1/Slot 2 from a designated few (Pistol, BR, AR, etc.) for gametypes that allow it and/or for poses.

Fuchsdh

I think that using perks offers a more user-friendly interface for customizing attributes though, as well as being easier to test for game-breaking effects. Just get rid of the tac/support dichotomy and make overshields/camos as perks, then allow players to stack a reasonable number of them. Would be faster than the current system of menu drilling.

I wonder if some of the Reach/4 design decisions aren't centred around the latter part of your post. I can totally see sitting around discussing and thinking on paper AA's & tactical/support mods help provide a per player level of choice to customise, in game and real time no less. The issue was losing the level playing field 100% of the time across all playlists and sort of randomising map movement/design because of that.

I enjoy Infinity somewhat, like 20-30% of the games I play. I think the fixed loadouts are required beyond just no loadouts in modern Halo, some like DMR, some BR etc. As for AA's I don't mind them for say 50% of my games but the mods/perks are a whole meta game I just can't get into. I don't enjoy grinding and I don't enjoy 100s of permutations to loadouts.

I do the most basic loadouts and just compete with my Halo experience as such, I rarely change them. I don't see any issue in having playlists based around variety I think they're better than vote variants that spread out amongst various playlists that Halo 4 currently has. The key is from the get go designing/developing each map or gametype for a specific playlist or 2, 3 at the most. This way the map, movement, lines of sight, AA's, vehicles, team sizes, objectives etc all are defined before development starts.

It becomes harder to vote for what you want in Halo 4 IMO. Give me strict playlists with 5-10% rotational, separate with ranked vs. social, apply vote variants to playlists specifically and give player toggles to really match up map knowledge, teams, skills, regions, gametypes. The dynamic vote variants from there drill down to be really really specific and dynamic based on the matching.

IMO spend the resources on specific maps/types/playlists over creating a larger sandbox or character redesigns or audio re-recording etc. If you have more focused maps/gametypes of a higher quality and bring content frequently population will stick around longer and play more games.

I completely understand 343i had to build/unify the studio, talent, engine, assets and all that but I wouldn't want to see all that resource investment over and over again with each game released. Focus on high quality content now IMO.

J10

Banned
After they scrap load outs what will happen? Will we continue to whine about how we want AR or BR or DMR or SMG starts?

Who gives a shit what happens. Halo doesn't need loadouts any more than CoD needs aliens. Halo can just be Halo. That means a mid-range precision starting weapon across the board whether anyone fucking likes it or not. AR secondaries and call it a day.

Havok

After they scrap load outs what will happen? Will we continue to whine about how we want AR or BR or DMR or SMG starts?
Maybe they'd have to actually manage the playlists properly and use basic common sense to have weapon settings that work well on a per-map and per-gametype basis! I know, a strange idea given how Halo playlist management has historically been.

That might require resources, though, which Halo sustain never seems to have in any reasonable amount for some inexplicable reason. Ideally, there would be a fully stocked, agile team in place with the resources to make drastic changes very quickly. I know there are technical issues with having to QA a matchmaking push on that end but ten years later that excuse starts to wear thin, and the players just shouldn't have to care.
Havok at the deep end of the pool is something to behold. Ya blew it, 343.
It might not be so baffling if it were just a 343 problem because it could be justified as growing pains, but sadly this has been an issue from the beginning.

TheOddOne

Maybe they'd have to actually manage the playlists properly and use basic common sense to have weapon settings that work well on a per-map and per-gametype basis! I know, a strange idea given how Halo playlist management has historically been.

That might require resources, though, which Halo sustain never seems to have in any reasonable amount for some inexplicable reason.
Havok at the deep end of the pool is something to behold. Ya blew it, 343.

jem0208

HKygxXc.gif

The BR came back in Halo 4 as a 5sk, I don't see why the Pistol can't come back as a starting weapon with the AR as a 4sk in a sandbox that's balanced around it.

No worries jem, 343 will bring it back and prove to the world how much better Halo is/was with CE AR/Pistol starts. That way, I can stop explaining to people that the Pistol was never broken, Bungie just planted that in people's minds to make room for the intentionally random/inconsitent BR.

Think about it:
Good strafe. Faster movement speed. Little aim assist, especially compared to the rest of the weapons after CE (babby level aim assist on everything). Had to lead your shots. Not even pros can land consistent 3sk's.

CE nerds have been dying for this weapon to return. I can guarantee you that if they made a true-to-form version of the CE Pistol, Halo would explode in the social media scene. Halo needs to tap into that nostalgia more than ever, and this could be one significant way to do it.
Combat Evolved 2

EDITS: Also, I don't believe in "sidearms" for Halo. Each weapon should be powerful to use and not throwaway. 343 labeling the H4 Magnum, PP and Boltshot as "sidearms" or "secondaries" identifies too much with common military shooters which have a lot of throwaway weapons. Halo should have no baggage in its weaponry.

v -- nope.jpg

Decreasing aim assist would certainly help.

However I just think it's a bit odd that the best gun is a pistol.

Something unrelated which I've been wondering about. What do you guys think about weapon customisation which is purely aesthetic. I repeat, it would not affect gameplay at all. It would be just like customising armour. Like the skins in 4 only a lot more in depth. Something I actually quite like about COD's loadouts is the weapon aesthetics customisations.

You'd have the base model which everyone recognises, then you could add stuff to it like your emblem and skins. Good or bad idea?

Fuchsdh

Decreasing aim assist would certainly help.

However I just think it's a bit odd that the best gun is a pistol.

Something unrelated which I've been wondering about. What do you guys think about weapon customisation which is purely aesthetic. I repeat, it would not affect gameplay at all. It would be just like customising armour. Like the skins in 4 only a lot more in depth. Something I actually quite like about COD's loadouts is the weapon aesthetics customisations.

You'd have the base model which everyone recognises, then you could add stuff to it like your emblem and skins. Good or bad idea?

As long as the customization cuts off before the weapons look totally outrageous, sure.

Booties

Banned
Just get rid of loadouts and see what happens. It's not like they're going to sell less copies, and it's not like they are going to lose more fans from it. Give it a try 343.

Yeah, I would like to have that actually, especially if they could pace the unlocking better. I remember playing MW2 and noticing the skins that were actually pretty hard to get, since that actually meant something about the player other than they liked the color. Custom grips and sights (non-gameplay affecting, of course) would all be neat in my opinion.

What I kind of want to see is just boatloads of aesthetic-only unlocks to give terribad players something to look forward to without breaking the game for everyone else, and have a good core unlock-free gameplay experience.

I agree that perks (in their current form anyways) have no place in Halo, but why the hell do loadouts need to be scrapped? Having the BR or the DMR being the only starting weapon is dull as fuck and I hope 343 never goes back to that. I like being able to switch things up occasionally and use a Light rifle or Carbine instead. Having viable alternatives for different scenarios (WITHIN REASON, bolt-shot took things a bit far) leads to interesting game play.

The Carbine and Light rifle fill similar roles to the BR and DMR, why revert them to being pickup exclusive just for the sake of being classic? To add the extra step of having to walk 10 feet from spawn to pickup a carbine just because?

Also automatic weapons are not going away, nor should they. If you enter into a close quarters battle with a marksman weapon like BR/DMR against someone who is using an automatic, you should be at a disadvantage.

Watching that video again, I just love their feel of passion and excitement you get in Bungie's vidocs. It seems like they genuinely and truly care about making their games the most fun experience possible. Seeing their excitement always gets me excited. I've felt this way going all the way back to the Halo 2 pre-release vids when I started following them more closely. Even when the people in the studio change, you still get that feeling, I feel like Jason Jones and the old school Bungie guys really created an awesome culture there. Can't wait to see more of Destiny.

I agree that perks (in their current form anyways) have no place in Halo, but why the hell do loadouts need to be scrapped? Having the BR or the DMR being the only starting weapon is dull as fuck and I hope 343 never goes back to that. I like being able to switch things up occasionally and use a Light rifle or Carbine instead. Having viable alternatives for different scenarios (WITHIN REASON, bolt-shot took things a bit far) leads to interesting game play.

The Carbine and Light rifle fill similar roles to the BR and DMR, why revert them to being pickup exclusive just for the sake of being classic? To add the extra step of having to walk 10 feet from spawn to pickup a carbine just because?

Also automatic weapons are not going away, nor should they. If you enter into a close quarters battle with a marksman weapon like BR/DMR against someone who is using an automatic, you should be at a disadvantage.
I don't mind pre-set loadouts. Just scrap custom loadouts. But we really don't need loadouts at all.

Edit: I can see loadouts sticking to gametypes that have more players on medium to large maps that require more variables in specific objectives.

IHaveIce

Banned

Again: Make BR/AR spawns.
Scrap the thousands of clones of weapons and make them feel unique again.
BR = Halo CE pistol just with an BR skin.
AR = beefed up odst smg, means with scoping
Plasma rifle = bring the stun back
Carbine = a faster shootin long range weapon compared to the new BR it is week, but has an wider range and a fast ROF

Loadouts don't add anything at variety, they just simplify it, add randomness to encounters

Weapon/general pick ups support map flow.

Edit2: funknown knows whats up

^I used to want the BR to be single shot, but at this point people identify the BR as a burst-fire weapon. I think it would be a better idea to just bring back the CE Pistol with the same level of feedback. There's something special about that little stubby weapon in first person view.

All they need to do is make a solid loadout to be used across the board, like the CE AR/Pistol. They could have custom loadouts for gametypes like Invasion, but I'd rather for most playlists they restrict players so that the BR/DMR/etc. won't have to be over-balanced to work as loadout weapons.

The BR has been crap because it's been a utility weapon. How about we flip that on its head by taking it out of loadouts and making it a worthwhile pickup? Let's get rid of shitty weapons.

IHaveIce

Banned
^I used to want the BR to be single shot, but at this point people identify the BR as a burst-fire weapon. I think it would be a better idea to just bring back the CE Pistol with the same level of feedback. There's something special about that little stubby weapon in first person view.
I agree bro, though you know people, if tey are proven wrong that the CE magbum wasn'top they just go on that it is silly to have the best allround weapon to be a pistol.. so just reskin it and fool them. But you are probably right with the burstfire

Fuchsdh

All they need to do is make a solid loadout to be used across the board, like the CE AR/Pistol. They could have custom loadouts for gametypes like Invasion, but I'd rather for most playlists they restrict players so that the BR/DMR/etc. won't have to be over-balanced to work as loadout weapons.

The BR has been crap because it's been a utility weapon. How about we flip that on its head by taking it out of loadouts and making it a worthwhile pickup? Let's get rid of shitty weapons.

Gave me a single shot BR in campaign then at least as an alternate firing mode. Bloom aside destroying people with a headshot is way more fun with the DMR.

Nebula

New thread OP destroys mobilegaf. Nice to see the community is still active even if the series is dead.

I have pics/gifs off when on mobile anyway. You could always create a bookmark to page 2 or something as well if you don't want to disable pics/gifs.

Fuchsdh

On a more philosophical note, I found this op-ed from a Stargate fan really interesting, and I think it speaks to some of the arguments we get onto here.

If you don't know about Stargate, it went from a midly successful Enmerich movie to spawning the longest-running sci-fi series of its day, then went into decline in the latter part of the 2000s. The last show got cancelled abruptly--at this point it's more dead than Star Trek was. Anyhow. The most relevant bit:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2013/09/can-a-movie-reboot-save-stargate/

Second, you need to know that I am a “franchise fan.” There are different ways to love a multi-show, multi-media franchise like Stargate, you see. I understand that my way is not everyone’s way. And that’s cool. Many people aren’t fans of the concept so much as they are fans of SG-1, or Atlantis, or Universe, of Richard Dean Anderson and Michael Shanks, Joe Flanigan and Torri Higginson, of the characters and villains and great one-liners that have made up the fabric of those 14 years. If those shows are never coming back, some fans will stick with their DVDs and won’t come back, either. And that’s totally fine.

I, however, am first a fan of the Stargate concept. I’m very interested in anything that takes place in this universe, making use of gate travel to explore other worlds, meet alien species and displaced human cultures, and get into trouble along the way. So the idea of a big-budget, big-screen trilogy of Stargate movies is incredibly exciting to me.

Not because I don’t want SG-1, or Atlantis, or Universe back.

Not because I’m even all that big a fan of Devlin and Emmerich’s other work.

Because it’s Stargate. And it’s the best damn chance of ever seeing any Stargate again.

I think a lot of the sentiments can apply to Halo--that ultimately the fans who are going to stick around are those that love the franchise as a whole, not just a specific style of game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom