• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree bro, though you know people, if tey are proven wrong that the CE magbum wasn'top they just go on that it is silly to have the best allround weapon to be a pistol.. so just reskin it and fool them. But you are probably right with the burstfire

Gave me a single shot BR in campaign then at least as an alternate firing mode. Bloom aside destroying people with a headshot is way more fun with the DMR.

I really think the Pistol just gets more flak for being a "sidearm" because that was the common misconception back then thanks to Bungie. This is how I see it:

Who complained about the Pistol those 3 years while playing CE?
---No one.
What was the first thing people tested out when they got Halo 2?
---The Pistol. I remember this test and seeing how Bungie made it 13 shots to kill someone with a 12 shot clip lol - so damn depressing..
What was the first thing people missed after 3 years of CE and then 3 years of sketchy netcode with a burst fire weapon?
---The Pistol.
What were people begging for to return in Halo 3?
---The Pistol (or at least a single shot precision rifle). Don't forget Bungie advertising the H3 version as useful and powerful in the right hands (lol).
What was the first thing people tested in Halo 3?
--The Pistol, both single and dual wielded. Again, depressing results; 8 shots instead of 12, high kill time, slower ROF, no scope.
What were people begging for again after 3 more years (6 in total with just an inconsistent BR) of even sketchier netcode with an inconsistent, nonhitscan BR?
---The Pistol (or at least a single shot precision rifle).
REACH COMES OUT and finally gives players what we've been dying for for years: a single shot precision weapon, but what happened?
---It had bloom, 3x and hitscan.

It all changed when Bungie put that shit into people's minds that a Pistol being that strong was broken when all Halo fans have ever wanted was just that; a weapon that functions identically to the Pistol. At this point, I think it would be in their best interest to promote the crap of the returning AR/Pistol starts with a true-to-form return to classic Halo gameplay.

What's the most important thing in a game?
---FUN.

So why are we still living by the same philosophies and close-minded limitations of the past? Halo can be great again, Halo can have great weapons, Halo can have the Pistol.

I think a lot of the sentiments can apply to Halo--that ultimately the fans who are going to stick around are those that love the franchise as a whole, not just a specific style of game.

Agreed. I still can't believe people used to think a Halo game every 3 years was milking the franchise between 2001-2007.. If anything, that's one thing that caused the decline of this franchise after Halo 3; those 3 year dev cycles while other studios were producing high quality games rich with industry-advancing features.

Halo needs more diversity, both in the gaming landscape and general entertainment.

Talents

Banned
Laughed hard at thread title. Nice job.

Welp see everyone again when they show Halo 5 gameplay footage. Or whenever the next OT is, whatever comes first.

gAg CruSh3r

I really think the Pistol just gets more flak for being a "sidearm" because that was the common misconception back then thanks to Bungie. This is how I see it:

Who complained about the Pistol those 3 years while playing CE?
---No one.
What was the first thing people tested out when they got Halo 2?
---The Pistol. I remember this test and seeing how Bungie made it 13 shots to kill someone with a 12 shot clip lol - so damn depressing..
What was the first thing people missed after 3 years of CE and then 3 years of sketchy netcode with a burst fire weapon?
---The Pistol.
What were people begging for to return in Halo 3?
---The Pistol (or at least a single shot precision rifle). Don't forget Bungie advertising the H3 version as useful and powerful in the right hands (lol).
What was the first thing people tested in Halo 3?
--The Pistol, both single and dual wielded. Again, depressing results; 8 shots instead of 12, high kill time, slower ROF, no scope.
What were people begging for again after 3 more years (6 in total with just an inconsistent BR) of even sketchier netcode with an inconsistent, nonhitscan BR?
---The Pistol (or at least a single shot precision rifle).
REACH COMES OUT and finally gives players what we've been dying for for years: a single shot precision weapon, but what happened?
---It had bloom, 3x and hitscan.

It all changed when Bungie put that shit into people's minds that a Pistol being that strong was broken when all Halo fans have ever wanted was just that; a weapon that functions identically to the Pistol. At this point, I think it would be in their best interest to promote the crap of the returning AR/Pistol starts with a true-to-form return to classic Halo gameplay.

What's the most important thing in a game?
---FUN.

So why are we still living by the same philosophies and close-minded limitations of the past? Halo can be great again, Halo can have great weapons, Halo can have the Pistol.

Would it be a crazy idea of making the Pistol into a 2x zoom, 4 SK , 10 bullet clip, and have a little heavier recoil. Then just remove the DMR completely.

Well I'm talking about final Kill cam. Kill cams in general should have a option of on or off but I like that feeling of that last rush for that last kill in a Team Slayer match.

I liked Killzone SF showing the best player of your team killing the last player killed of the enemy team in a fancy execution.

Would it be a crazy idea of making the Pistol into a 2x zoom, 4 SK , 10 bullet clip, and have a little heavier recoil. Then just remove the DMR completely.

I really want the 12 shot clip to return for the Pistol, and I think I'd be fine with a 4sk as long as it felt the same.

They're professionals, not assholes.

Professionally killing professional Halo since 2004. I would like to hear what their thoughts are though, holding nothing back.

Hopefully one day we'll hear about Bungie's experiences with Microsoft while developing Halo. That must be one fascinating tale.

I thought the other thread was just inactive..

Well in here it's not that much more active

image.php

Professionally killing professional Halo since 2004. I would like to hear what their thoughts are though, holding nothing back.

Hopefully one day we'll hear about Bungie's experiences with Microsoft while developing Halo. That must be one fascinating tale.
I'm not saying I don't want that. I would love to read that. But I think my point stands.

Happens a lot after I post :(

I had a nice response to one of your questions in the last thread, but decided to leave it for my upcoming thread one of these days ;]

I'm not saying I don't want that. I would love to read that. But I think my point stands.

I agree, Bungie houses a great group of people. Always liked them, just not as Halo developers.

Destiny is the game they were destined to make, without any restrictions to creativity/world building.

On a more philosophical note, I found this op-ed from a Stargate fan really interesting, and I think it speaks to some of the arguments we get onto here.

If you don't know about Stargate, it went from a midly successful Enmerich movie to spawning the longest-running sci-fi series of its day, then went into decline in the latter part of the 2000s. The last show got cancelled abruptly--at this point it's more dead than Star Trek was. Anyhow. The most relevant bit:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2013/09/can-a-movie-reboot-save-stargate/

I think a lot of the sentiments can apply to Halo--that ultimately the fans who are going to stick around are those that love the franchise as a whole, not just a specific style of game.
I sympathize heavily with that person. I can understand where he's coming from, but in terms of Halo, I feel like it needs to be done well or not at all.

Also, I miss Stargate like crazy. :'(

#RIP

now that's funny

Funny because it's true.

image.php

I really think the Pistol just gets more flak for being a "sidearm" because that was the common misconception back then thanks to Bungie.

Outside of gameplay, I always found it hilarious how Bungie's knowledge of firearms went from zero to actually something after CE. A pistol with a scope an assault rifle with no sights! I think in the Halo 2 vidoc, they had some of the designers going to the range and shooting real guns, and lo and behold every human gun went from silver to black...

Tzeentch

Outside of gameplay, I always found it hilarious how Bungie's knowledge of firearms went from zero to actually something after CE. A pistol with a scope an assault rifle with no sights! I think in the Halo 2 vidoc, they had some of the designers going to the range and shooting real guns, and lo and behold every human gun went from silver to black...
The pistol thing is particularly weird because it's just a skin. It could have been a pineapple model and it wouldn't matter. But because it LOOKED like a pistol some people freaked out.

Fuchsdh

iIRC it has a lot to do with the fact that on the original team basically only one of the artists had any deep experience with firearms. I think in a The Art of Halo they mention how the sniper rifle idle animation is stupid because you wouldn't be adjusting your scopes in the middle of combat situations.

Focusing so much on practical aspects can diminish the creative flexibility you afford yourself though.

jem0208

Yeah, I would like to have that actually, especially if they could pace the unlocking better. I remember playing MW2 and noticing the skins that were actually pretty hard to get, since that actually meant something about the player other than they liked the color. Custom grips and sights (non-gameplay affecting, of course) would all be neat in my opinion.

What I kind of want to see is just boatloads of aesthetic-only unlocks to give terribad players something to look forward to without breaking the game for everyone else, and have a good core unlock-free gameplay experience.

Exactly, it would give the casual players something to look forward to without affecting the gameplay for the more competitive players. It can also allow the best players to kinda show off with their fancy looking guns.

Also, I much prefer gun customisation to armour. I mean, you hardly ever see your armour, except when you're dead.

iIRC it has a lot to do with the fact that on the original team basically only one of the artists had any deep experience with firearms. I think in a The Art of Halo they mention how the sniper rifle idle animation is stupid because you wouldn't be adjusting your scopes in the middle of combat situations.

Focusing so much on practical aspects can diminish the creative flexibility you afford yourself though.

It can, but I think in this case it hurts immersion since it makes so little sense. Even from a pure gameplay perspective (not thinking about the lore or legacy), you would think the big chunky gun would be better than the small one. The CE Magnum could have been a battle rifle , and the AR could have been a sub-machine gun pretty easily.

And of course they painted themselves into a corner declaring that the AR is 7.62 x 51mm, which makes no goddamn sense at all...

How are we supposed to talk about halo when halo 4 is literally a ghost town and we know next to nothing about halo 5?

Why do you think the OT's have exponentially slowed down? hah

Survey at 350+ now. B.net, Waypoint, TeamBeyond & NeoGAF down. On to HBO, r/Halo, 343i.org, rampancy, Halo Evolved, Tied the Leader, FuD in the next few days.

I'm upgrading the survey account to a paid one to add a finished confirmation page and I'll tweak a few answer options and I think I need to add a few questions from the feedback e.g. Forge, customs, sprint.

Any suggestions fire them in today please.

I would say you should put a part of sprint in there, but the other communities are more of the casual communities and we don't want to give a flawed answer.

Survey at 350+ now. B.net, Waypoint, TeamBeyond & NeoGAF down. On to HBO, r/Halo, 343i.org, rampancy, Halo Evolved, Tied the Leader, FuD in the next few days.

I'm upgrading the survey account to a paid one to add a finished confirmation page and I'll tweak a few answer options and I think I need to add a few questions from the feedback e.g. Forge, customs, sprint.

Fuchsdh

Wow they make you pay for a confirmation page? Yeah not knowing it actually went through was annoying :p

My only suggestion is make the tweaks sooner rather than later. Sucks to have incomplete data sets, and you want people to be responding to the same stuff.

For future reference, I think two separate surveys for single player and multiplayer would be better. I just don't remember the campaigns well enough to have much of an opinion about the specific missions expect for a handful.

Edit: And a "no opinion" field in as many places as possible would be nice, too, I feel like me 3-starring everything I don't know about (real CE multiplayer) is going to skew things.

I would say you should put a part of sprint in there, but the other communities are more of the casual communities and we don't want to give a flawed answer.

Yep this one is universally requested. I think yes, no, don't care as the options.

Wow they make you pay for a confirmation page? Yeah not knowing it actually went through was annoying :p

My only suggestion is make the tweaks sooner rather than later. Sucks to have incomplete data sets, and you want people to be responding to the same stuff.

They don't but there are some other features I think we'll want for the reports etc. The analytics are simple and clean and it's been interesting to watch them change as more entries have rolled in. Yep I'll jump on an update today, I'm wanting to check if it tracks based on IP address so people can just edit rather than resubmit...

For future reference, I think two separate surveys for single player and multiplayer would be better. I just don't remember the campaigns well enough to have much of an opinion about the specific missions expect for a handful.

Edit: And a "no opinion" field in as many places as possible would be nice, too, I feel like me 3-starring everything I don't know about (real CE multiplayer) is going to skew things.

Yes I missed the no opinion/don't care option in a few places. You can just leave things blank and it's omitted from the results, which nice but not explained well. I'll update the title description at the top of the first page.

Funny thing is I could easily see this as a series of surveys e.g. campaign, story, characters, designs, multiplayer, audio, DLC, new ideas, cheating etc. Halo fans are so dedicated and they WANT to fill this stuff out to voice it all.

gAg CruSh3r

Maybe what weapons do the player want to see back or they want newer ones? What weapons they like using for starts. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

lmfao high level

Yeah and/or a field that asks how much time you put into each, what period you played them and how long ago you played them for.

For example, someone playing Halo 3 now won't understand how fun it was for many people back then, so on the survey we wouldn't know why they ranked Reach higher unless another question pointed that out.

Send H3YL0W a message if you want to try Power Slayer tonight, OIAH is making a video review for it and everybody can join in if they want

Fracas

#fuckonami
Am I allowed to just copy/paste the text concerning competitive MP? It's not a scan, but can I type it out or do I have to paraphrase?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Ok, here's some paraphrased tidbits concerning MP. Still not a lot of detail, but at least it's something. I have no idea if any of this is new or not.

GI saw 2 gametypes:
-groups of teams in what looks like territories; 3 areas to cap and hold that give you multipliers for actions
-slayer, but players can earn points for kills as well as reviving downed teammtes

-maps make use of verticality
-lots of vertical movement options available to each class
-dynamic environments
-many grenade types
-GI writer says competitive MP is complex but still focused on player skill
-shooting apparently feels like Halo
-it seems loot earned in co-op/SP can be used in MP
-weapon/ammo pickups on maps? The article says that players start matches without any "heavy ammo" so I guess that's what that means

i don't know about my stuff so I edited it lol

Ok, here's some paraphrased tidbits concerning MP. Still not a lot of detail, but at least it's something. I have no idea if any of this is new or not.

GI saw 2 gametypes:
-groups of teams in what looks like territories; 3 areas to cap and hold that give you multipliers for actions
-slayer, but players can earn points for kills as well as reviving downed teammtes

-maps make use of verticality
-lots of vertical movement options available to each class
-dynamic environments
-many grenade types
-GI writer says competitive MP is complex but still focused on player skill
-shooting apparently feels like Halo
-it seems loot earned in co-op/SP can be used in MP
-weapon/ammo pickups on maps? The article says that players start matches without any "heavy ammo" so I guess that's what that means

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom