• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, here's some paraphrased tidbits concerning MP. Still not a lot of detail, but at least it's something. I have no idea if any of this is new or not.

GI saw 2 gametypes:
-groups of teams in what looks like territories; 3 areas to cap and hold that give you multipliers for actions
-slayer, but players can earn points for kills as well as reviving downed teammtes

-maps make use of verticality
-lots of vertical movement options available to each class
-dynamic environments
-many grenade types
-GI writer says competitive MP is complex but still focused on player skill
-shooting apparently feels like Halo
-it seems loot earned in co-op/SP can be used in MP
-weapon/ammo pickups on maps? The article says that players start matches without any "heavy ammo" so I guess that's what that means

Thanks for the info! Hyped.

You should make a thread.

Ok, here's some paraphrased tidbits concerning MP. Still not a lot of detail, but at least it's something. I have no idea if any of this is new or not.

GI saw 2 gametypes:
-groups of teams in what looks like territories; 3 areas to cap and hold that give you multipliers for actions
-slayer, but players can earn points for kills as well as reviving downed teammtes

-dynamic environments
-many grenade types
-weapon/ammo pickups on maps? The article says that players start matches without any "heavy ammo" so I guess that's what that means

Halo Borderlands, I like it.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Yes, in an old podcast it was said each player brings in their own weapons, but your power weapon is empty at match start. It works the same as weapon pickups, but it's a universal ammo type that arms your own weapon instead. At the time of recording, you were also required to load your power weapon with the ammo so you couldn't just pick up and instant suicide fire at the floor or a wall like with rocket pickups.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yes, in an old podcast it was said each player brings in their own weapons, but your power weapon is empty at match start. It works the same as weapon pickups, but it's a universal ammo type that arms your own weapon instead. At the time of recording, you were also required to load your power weapon with the ammo so you couldn't just pick up and instant suicide fire at the floor or a wall like with rocket pickups.

Holy shit, that's exactly what I wanted 343 to do with armor abilities. Sounds fantastic.

GI saw 2 gametypes:

-dynamic environments
-many grenade types

Yeah, Destiny is Reach taken to the next level. It'll bridge that gap between Halo and Shadowrun that much more, but I'm not expecting anything in the sense of what we wanted out of Halo. Imagine if they were still in charge of the franchise and this was their new IP to replace Halo for several years? Halo would really be dead lol

That being said, I'm excited to play it and see Bungie's take on a full-blown, fresh idea without players expecting a Halo clone.

I just can't see them balancing the "bring your loot" to MP aspect and it being any where near competitive.

"people who say destiny will just be another borderlands don't know what they're talking about, we haven't heard enough about the game yet."

ElRenoRaven

GI saw 2 gametypes:

-dynamic environments
-many grenade types

Sounds fun as hell to me. I can't wait. It's nice to finally be seeing some information too. Game can't come soon enough.

BTW I know a couple were wondering earlier. Yea the 3rd Brickstation 4 actually worked. So I do now have a working one.

Havok

I just can't see them balancing the "bring your loot" to MP aspect and it being any where near competitive.
There are a few ways they could feasibly do it since as far as I remember, they're hand-balancing the loot weapons anyway so it's not as though they're dealing with procedurally generated gear like an MMO or Borderlands. Stat scaling isn't ever perfect, but it kind of gets you halfway there. I would expect them to have weapons per class behave very similarly for multiplayer, so you could potentially end up with groups of fusion rifles, hand cannons, or whatever else that end up serving the same roles as the individual discrete weapons did in Halo but that might have some quirks in their fire rate or range or something that can serve to distinguish them.

Execution seems super difficult whatever route you take, but given how long they've been working on this, I'm really interested to see the solution they arrived at. Of course, I'd also fully expect a playlist with stripped down gear, but I guess that's not a given.

By what it said it seems its pretty much as open as Skyrim except that you can also join instanced dungeons and raids and pvp and stuff. Also you can fly to different planets and you get a personal speederbike mount that you can customize. Its definitely open world like Skyrim or if you've ever played an mmo.

*o*

Come on Bungie, show me some vidoc goodness!

Seance

Banned

GI saw 2 gametypes:

-dynamic environments
-many grenade types

Sounds like Reach. Also "feels like Halo" Kappa.

Waypoint top 200 slayers came out today:

BamZsnqCAAAtbjP.jpg:large

Sad thing is I could of easily made it to the top of that list if I knew they were going to do something like this. I only played for a day and was a 17 CSR by the end of that day. Oh well :)..
I doubt it was hard to make it into the list.

I'm surprised 200 people are playing team slayer to be fair.

Sad thing is I could of easily made it to the top of that list if I knew they were going to do something like this. I only played for a day and was a 17 CSR by the end of that day. Oh well :)..

The playlist specific CSR ranks were rest when this started. A few mates I play with slay like crazy and would hit 50 in a couple of days most likely. Personally I could never play slayer continuously like that for days.

Jeez, some of those guys are pretty bad. The top guy must have had his cousin play on his account or something.

Ataxia

Meh. To be brutally honest I'm surprised that it's still reaching 15k peak - especially with the onslaught of AAA games and next-gen consoles that have been released.

Meh. To be brutally honest I'm surprised that it's still reaching 15k peak - especially with the onslaught of AAA games and next-gen consoles that have been released.

Not everyone can afford the new systems and there really isn't much AAA,its the same yearly titles. MW3 is older and many more play it.

gAg CruSh3r

I am wondering if there will be a boost of population for Christmas time due to the Black Friday deals they had with Halo 4 and Xbox 360?

I haven't played Halo 4 since the X1 launch day. I'm plugging in the ol'360 for a night of Halo 4 tonight with a couple of regular Halo mates though. After that session I'll give Ryse a first go. Might be a late night :)

Really missing a Halo to play on the X1, seems like Spartan Assault will be a "blow through op" but at least it will be some sort of Halo on X1.

Oh and the netcode on KI is god tier, felt just like LAN and I took down 3 out o4 matches against the same Aussie rival it matched me with.

Anyone who wants to checkout the quality on X1 DVR SkyDrive (upload studio using trim feature) here's two test videos:

ACIV > FFS (NSFW language)

KI > Ultraaaaa

Booties

Banned
It is amazing how dead halo is and how bad people want to play it. There is so much money to be made it's stupid. Just make the game people want!

Nowise10

Its been like the same exact population for the past 6 months. The people who are still playing it today obviously enjoy it, and I doubt it will be going down anytime soon from the 15-20k is usually gets.

It is amazing how dead halo is and how bad people want to play it. There is so much money to be made it's stupid. Just make the game people want!

So much this. It makes no sense how resistant Bungie was to countless cries to make Halo better.

That's why I think there has to be something going on with Microsoft and that IP. How could 343 make the same damn mistakes Bungie did (Camo AA) after years of knowledge? Who the hell are the people making the decisions for this franchise?????

Booties

Banned
15k during the week, 22k on the ends. Yikes.

The major drop off looks like it's from the summer ending. The trend is consistent though.

Fuchsdh

Its been like the same exact population for the past 6 months. The people who are still playing it today obviously enjoy it, and I doubt it will be going down anytime soon from the 15-20k is usually gets.

I am surprised the Xbox One launch (or the PS4 launch, for that matter) didn't impact it heavily.

Interesting to see the 2nd and 3rd place chaps aren't CSR 50. Would love to see some breakdowns of rankings.

I think the major downside of 1-50 is that it doesn't exactly give you a solid idea of where you are in relation to other players.

As for playing Halo 4...

NPSHW5p.png

HALOGAF Customs Night December 7, 2013

Customs Night returns this Saturday, December 7th at 9PM EST to whenever everyone is sick of Halo, each other, or a combination of both. Send a message to GT: Fuchsdh to get in on a piece of the action.

Scheduled for play are Gabo's new gametypes, the always-entertaining Prop Hunt, and whatever else people have a hankering for. When I've been running customs we haven't played as many straight slayer or objective matches (with BR starts, natch), but if people want more o' that we can certainly accommodate.

If you want to play a map/gametype of your own or someone else's creation, put it in your file share so it's ready to go on game night, or send me a link and I'll grab it myself.

Also, if after the festivities you have clips you want rendered out, upload the film to your share and let me know.

See you there!

Yeah, Destiny is Reach taken to the next level. It'll bridge that gap between Halo and Shadowrun that much more, but I'm not expecting anything in the sense of what we wanted out of Halo. Imagine if they were still in charge of the franchise and this was their new IP to replace Halo for several years? Halo would really be dead lol

That being said, I'm excited to play it and see Bungie's take on a full-blown, fresh idea without players expecting a Halo clone.

Yeah after reading about it, I definitely get a Reach 2 feel from it. Unlike many I don't think it's a bad thing though, I enjoyed Reach despite it feeling different from Halo 1-3.

Booties

Banned
Haven't played 4 in months. Hop on for something different.

Infinity slayer on abandon. Worst thing ever conceived.

NPSHW5p.png

HALOGAF Customs Night December 7, 2013

Customs Night returns this Saturday, December 7th at 9PM EST to whenever everyone is sick of Halo, each other, or a combination of both. Send a message to GT: Fuchsdh to get in on a piece of the action.

Scheduled for play are Gabo's new gametypes, the always-entertaining Prop Hunt, and whatever else people have a hankering for. When I've been running customs we haven't played as many straight slayer or objective matches (with BR starts, natch), but if people want more o' that we can certainly accommodate.

If you want to play a map/gametype of your own or someone else's creation, put it in your file share so it's ready to go on game night, or send me a link and I'll grab it myself.

Also, if after the festivities you have clips you want rendered out, upload the film to your share and let me know.

See you there!

I'll be there. Personally I like more normal gametypes (Legendary BRs) interspersed with the wacky ones, since wacky ones seem so hit or miss to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom