• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

"Riskier"

Hmmm.... I wish he would've elaborated more on the subject. I wonder if he wanted to go full modern-shooter. ADS, full xp unlock system, the works.

Like the last 3 minutes.
Yuck. If he doesn't go into specifics I won't bother. I had generic terms like that, it's the equivalent of saying you're going to make something "edgy". It means less than nothing if you don't give concrete examples.

Fixed that for you :p

B-But you didn't post a Stormtrooper gif.. :[

Remakes are never worth it. They always make slight changes to FOV, movement speed, joystick sensitivity, gravity, player size, and map geometry that make the games play unintentionally bad. Then when you throw in the new style of gun play onto these old maps with new features it turns bad immediately. Halo Reach showed how it was bad, and Halo 4 solidified the fact with every map remake. I say they just stop making new maps altogether and make maps that fit the current iteration of the game.

Yeah I thought about that, but they should just make the adjustments to the maps and/or give us better customization options to adjust some of those things (movement speed, joystick/aiming settings, etc.).

Also, any of those Anniversary maps were better than any other map in Reach and that game had pretty poor movement options. I'd rather have a solid map with subpar settings than an iffy map with subpar settings.

Well but in Reach there was a huge lack of BTB maps, they never seemed to get the balance right again after the first 2 games.

The sad truth.. ;'[

It's like CE and Halo 2 gave us the best maps (not because they were the first games but because they were actually great maps), and then the quality drastically dropped thereafter. The base settings certainly didn't help either.

IHaveIce

Banned
In which way riskier though?

Riskier because the Halo fandom will hate you even more or riskier in the sense of going back to classic Halo which would confuse people who started with Reach and would hail criticism from journos of being "backwards"

And to add, with remakes it should theoretically be easier to include more maps into the game since they already exist and we have the knowledge as to what could be improved. More maps = more remakes = sure FUN.

Then let them release a few SOLID new maps instead, concentrating on making them be the best they can be instead of spreading their attention on several new maps. I don't think it's too controversial and could go a long way with fans, especially playing on that nostalgia.

I need to run Ryan Payton into a bar...with alcohol

Fixed for what you really meant.

Mistel

Banned
And to add, with remakes it should theoretically be easier to include more maps into the game since they already exist and we have the knowledge as to what could be improved. More maps = more remakes = sure FUN.

Then let them release a few SOLID new maps instead, concentrating on making them be the best they can be instead of spreading their attention on several new maps. I don't think it's too controversial and could go a long way with fans, especially playing on that nostalgia.

Stormtrooper gifs require a special event but oh well.
stormtrooper-bumps-head-o.gif

Couldn't find the Eva Vica Kerkes gif i wanted with the pool cue :(

New maps that work supported by sandbox optimized remakes is a good idea for multiplayer, as seen by Ragnarok where it wasn't designed in a sandbox with long range weapons from spawn. A focus on mid range combat in their original games means that it wasn't suitable choice for the game they where remade in.

I'd like remakes of maps like Backwash, Waterworks, Relic, Rats nest, Ice fields and Sidewinder in the next halo game that has mid range combat focused sandbox. Long range spawn weapons do not encourage map movement if you can kill someone across the map from your base looking at you Reach and 4 BTB maps why bother leaving them.

You can't have stealth without radar? The main difference is that it doesn't slow games down for gametypes without motion tracker.

Not really, none of the mechanics are there. No radar = just run as much as you like, especially if you have a team willing to draw fire to another part of the map. You can literally run walk past a guy who is firing or watching your other team members etc.

In a no radar game on default maps like Valhalla or Zanzibar or burial mounds it is far too easy to arm a bomb or grab a flag. The smaller symmetrical and sight lines of hardcore/MLG maps like The Pit or Lockout are designed for no radar really. The medium or large maps of default are far better with radar, especially for objective games.

I understand the hardcore gametypes/maps no radar is your preference but the default game shouldn't be like that IMO and the history of Halo games population attests to that, easily. Even at it's absolute peak MLG never exceeded the default game population, just for slayer alone let alone including the other playlists. I doubt it ever would for the simple fact of pro/regular teams who know callouts and practice vs. friends playing together or randoms matched up creates lopsided games more often. I think that is a major defining difference between no radar and radar on or default vs hardcore.

This usually ends up in players fleeing engagements and like you said, running around corners (away from battles, something that's been an increasing problem with Halo thanks to sprint and a myriad of options to escape any given engagement).

Get shot once, run away and watch the red dot. This slows the games down to a crawl, and can get real silly when running circles around objects because you can easily look at a motion tracker.

I disagree, players flee when they're disadvantaged in any engagement, regardless of radar or no radar. In fact having radar allows a chase to ensue as well as feinting, baiting, lack of known facing direction etc. Again in terms of hardcore maps/gametypes it makes sense to have no radar and rely on communication but the default game of less coordinated teams with radar becomes far more interesting to play IMO. Even at level 50 team objective in Halo 3 I always found radar on never to be a crutch and more of an enabler. For me personally radar on is my Halo. I completely agree there is the hardcore side that no radar is their Halo. Again variety of playlist settings is required.

I would play Halo multiplayer far less, like 20% of what I do play, if no radar was the default game.

Massive crutch. Motion tracker gimps your awareness potential because instead of focusing on the screen and battles around you, your attention is on a little motion tracker, watching red dots move around. For as much as Halo tries to be a team game, they sure give the individual player so many options to avoid fights, motion tracker being one of them. Think about Objective games too; just sit in a corner and wait for the red dots to enter your base..

You can get that same information just by being aware of your surroundings. The only difference with motion tracker is that the distance is usually broken, so you can pretty much see where players are at all times on small maps, leading to uninteresting engagements and again, gimping your potential as a player.

Similar to my point about of hardcore regular team with callouts etc it becomes a very one sided game, when you mix spawn trapping/killing into that the masses don't want to play that. It's not fun at an individual level and there is little room for an individual to progress their skill to combat these mechanics. Their only option is to find a regular team and practice, that's great and all, plus I agree it's quite competitive and skilled, but it's not what I want to play when I play Halo. I've never wanted to play that game when I play Halo nor do I want to have to practice "drills" to have competitive games. This from a default player of top level Halo 3 and 10,000's of games. Our two demographics are the in the top 4 main demographics of Halo and each has to be catered for.

No you don't get the same info from no radar, you're never aware of verticality, you're never able to use radar baiting or feinting or faking a death (if enemy doesn't watch the kill text feed) etc. There are a large number of individual mechanics that come from radar on where radar off there are a large number of team mechanics that come from that. This seems to be another defining difference.

Motion tracking is used for far more than simply fleeing a fight. I use it to stealth near a base undetected then assess the number of enemies and positions over a brief time before I move in. I also use it to fake deaths or take a different movement route based on the radar info. All while remaining in stealth crouch at close proximity.

So how about your thoughts on sound-based radar? It's essentially just as helpful as motion tracker, except it doesn't gimp movement as much. I think it would be a good compromise instead of removing it completely (for players who depend on it) or keeping it as is (because it's just a crutch that hurts the quality of matches).

Not a fan as it looses the movement vs. stealth mechanic which I feel is a very important element of the default game in objective (especially CTF/assault) and BTB objective. As for slayer it's still quite fun but far less relevant IMO and I see why slayer has so much love for no radar.

EDIT: a little more on this for me radar on and having shields helps separate Halo as a standalone game that I can turn the tables with skill or awareness or reflex. Games like COD are very twitch based and I suppose I find the no radar hardcore games more "twitchy" as such. Not to mention online play favours the host etc in such settings. In slayer the radar doesn't seem so important but I suppose being very objective focused I'm adamant about radar being on.

Double post for separate topic:

Anyone who wants to be up for Waypoint community member of the week (CMotW) has to have a Roll Call Q&A filled out. Tashi a couple of us moderators want to recommend you but you don't have one of these on Waypoint. Go to this Roll Call forum and reply with the below Q&A template filled out, that goes for anyone that would like to be eligible to be considered.

About Me!

Gamertag:

Origin of gamertag:

Previous or current clan/community:

About Halo!

Halo game(s) you are currently playing:

Favorite map, game type and playlist:

Least favorite map, game type and playlist:

Preferred control scheme:

Halo playing style (offense, defense, sniper, driver, etc.):

Favorite Halo character:

Favorite Halo book:

Favorite Halo quote:

Halo creations:

Other stuff!

Other game(s) you are currently playing:

Favorite music:

Favorite movie:

Favorite TV show:

Favorite quote:

Anything else we should know?

gAg CruSh3r

New maps that work supported by sandbox optimized remakes is a good idea for multiplayer, as seen by Ragnarok where it wasn't designed in a sandbox with long range weapons from spawn. A focus on mid range combat in their original games means that it wasn't suitable choice for the game they where remade in.

I'd like remakes of maps like Backwash, Waterworks, Relic, Rats nest, Ice fields and Sidewinder in the next halo game that has mid range combat focused sandbox. Long range spawn weapons do not encourage map movement if you can kill someone across the map from your base looking at you Reach and 4 BTB maps why bother leaving them.

Yes, yessssss! Finally someone gets how BTB is suppose to be! I want to see a big forest like BTB map that involves warthogs and close/ midrange battles. All of Halo 4 BTB maps were all long range battles :/.. I hate HATE long rang battles .

Man.. I think we need to live together for a good month and play Halo nonstop. I'm all for opinions, but a lot of this just isn't true in your description of it. You crawling around looking at the radar is not good for anyone and just creates a snoozefest when you can have the same effect otherwise, and become a better player as you progress.

No motion tracker =/= hardcore by the way. There can be a compromise here, and that would be sound-based radar. Halo is an already slow FPS compared to many others, there's no reason to gimp movement even further.

CoD has sound-based radar and that game is definitely not more "hardcore" than Halo.

Stormtrooper gifs require a special event but oh well.
stormtrooper-bumps-head-o.gif

Couldn't find the Eva Vica Kerkes gif i wanted with the pool cue :(

AR/Pistol starts will help to fix this. What was frustrating in Halo 2 and Halo 3 is seeing someone casually strolling to your base, you shooting them with One. Thousand. BR bullets
Because Bungie thought adding randomness and inconsistencies to a utility weapon in a SHOOTER was a good idea..
. as they just nonchalantly ignore your pellets and take your flag, arm the bomb, etc.

heckfu

Banned
Double post for separate topic:

Anyone who wants to be up for Waypoint community member of the week (CMotW) has to have a Roll Call Q&A filled out. Tashi a couple of us moderators want to recommend you but you don't have one of these on Waypoint. Go to this Roll Call forum and reply with the below Q&A template filled out, that goes for anyone that would like to be eligible to be considered.

well that went about as expected

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postsm2810974_Hire-Juices.aspx#post2810974

nice to see pentinant tangent with the first reply on waypoint

hey remember that gif of Halo 4 with the BR and the strafing and it was like "aw yeah Halo is back my nigg-uh I mean african americans you know Im not racist guyz"

good times

Classic account name, DefendTheCasual. Something tells me when he plays with randoms it's more LambsToTheSlaughter with him cleaning up kills from the back row...maybe it's me :)

hey remember that gif of Halo 4 with the BR and the strafing and it was like "aw yeah Halo is back my nigg-uh I mean african americans you know Im not racist guyz"

good times

If you fire up Halo 4 now and play Haven slayer legendary BR vote variant isn't that damn close to the GIF? I know launch wasn't that classic clean cut setting but I think it's there now.

good times

That gif made me cringe in all honesty. The BR is basically just sweep in the general direction and get 3 chances at a headshot..

Yeah yeah, people love the BR and that's ok. I'd never say to remove it from Halo though, just give me a 12 shot Pistol to spawn with, a 4sk BR that feels like Halo 2 on LAN with less aim assist (but more than the Pistol so you have a reason to pick it up) and tighter spread as an on-map pickup, and go from there.

Maybe even a 3sk BR because in reality, that'll translate to a 4-5sk. Again, this'll be balanced by the aim assist and being an on-map weapon.

Man.. I think we need to live together for a good month and play Halo nonstop. I'm all for opinions, but a lot of this just isn't true in your description of it. You crawling around looking at the radar is not good for anyone and just creates a snoozefest when you can have the same effect otherwise, and become a better player as you progress.

No motion tracker =/= hardcore by the way. There can be a compromise here, and that would be sound-based radar. Halo is an already slow FPS compared to many others, there's no reason to gimp movement even further.

CoD has sound-based radar and that game is definitely not more "hardcore" than Halo.

Deal, you look after my two young kids and I'll play the Funknown-side of Halo for a month :)

I don't crouch everywhere mate, I selectively use it. I'd be crouched less than 10% of any given game. If I'm carrying a bomb then I'd be crouching near the bases quite a bit. The friends I play with basically give me the bomb and work with or draw away from me. More often I go alone on foot and I'd guess I arm the bomb 1-2 out of 3 times I carry it. It's been the same since Halo 2, 3 or Reach. I love carrying the bomb with radar on.

Used hardcore just as label to differentiate from default, that's all. Halo 4 post turbo is a great speed and pace of play. Infinity ramped it up too quick in terms of game time IMO but the later vote variants now with turbo and base movement are sweet. I agree some lessening of the aim assist and a bit more strafe acceleration would make it about perfect.

I wonder how dedis are going to affect the base gameplay, surely we're going to see less aim assist and more strafe dodging ability? Right?

Mistel

Banned
Yes, yessssss! Finally someone gets how BTB is suppose to be! I want to see a big forest like BTB map that involves warthogs and close/ midrange battles. All of Halo 4 BTB maps were all long range battles :/.. I hate HATE long rang battles .

I dislike long range battles as they:
A. Slow the game pace this is common with maps with long site lines and low cover such as ragnarok and hemorrhage. This creates area's of stagnation on maps due to lack of flow as people are trapped.

B. Removes at teams ability to counter entrapped bases this is seen in maps where height is key in BTB such as spire and the ridge on settler. Linking back to point A spawning with nowhere to go except die repeatedly because of sandbox choices doesn't fit whose best wins style halo has.

C. They are so dull for a game with a varied sandbox see points A and B, but we can all think of weapons like the neddle rifle and the battle rifle ignored because of long range weapons.

As for your map idea it sounds cool I've got an idea but no way to display it :(

For everyone's convenience, here's the survey as completed by the average Waypoint member:

About Me!

Gamertag: xXDBZGokuC0DYyXx

Origin of gamertag: lol i like dbz goku is my fav character and my name is cody lol but soneone took xXDBZGOKUCODYXx so I had to ad the y

Previous or current clan/community: Halo Waypoooint!

About Halo!

Halo game(s) you are currently playing: Halo 4, my fist and only!

Favorite map, game type and playlist: Abandon, grifball and girfball!!!!!1

Least favorite map, game type and playlist: Haven Legrdy BRs

Preferred control scheme: fishtick

Halo playing style (offense, defense, sniper, driver, etc.): i liek to rush in girball but if im in like btb i like to get the sniper n go on D with Camo

Favorite Halo character: Palmer she's cool! Haha eggheads! i call my teachers that now and they get mad lol

Favorite Halo book: haha i cant read books their too long and make me sleeeeepy

Favorite Halo quote: "its got the eggheads all tingly!" lol

Halo creations: i made a grifball version wit abandon but with 600% speed and also explosive barrels fall on u its so funnny and random, i PM it to rcent players to play it and they nvr messge me back so i guess their to busy playing it lol j/k

Other stuff!

Other game(s) you are currently playing: GHOSTS

Favorite music: i like all kinds of music lol just not too old like 90s

Favorite movie:
Grown ups 2 lol soo funny!

Favorite TV show: lol well it was DBZ when i maed my tag but now i think i might like Duck Dynasty hahahaha

Favorite quote: "Work without fun is like peanut butter without jelly." - Jase from DUCK DYNASTY

Anything else we should know?
PLZ 343 put my map in matchmakng it would be sooo fun!

Classic account name, DefendTheCasual. Something tells me when he plays with randoms it's more LambsToTheSlaughter with him cleaning up kills from the back row...maybe it's me :)
Nah, Juices would probably mop the floor with you in Halo.

And he changes his gamertag all the time because shits funny. TheBKCleansing, ForwardUntoDong, Lil Blain, all classics.

Caayn

well that went about as expected

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postsm2810974_Hire-Juices.aspx#post2810974

nice to see pentinant tangent with the first reply on waypoint
That banhammer must have had a lot of momentum, that was fast.
If you fire up Halo 4 now and play Haven slayer legendary BR vote variant isn't that damn close to the GIF? I know launch wasn't that classic clean cut setting but I think it's there now.
How many people are still playing it and how many are playing legendary? On top of that what are the odds of getting in a BR start match?
(Honest question, haven't played Halo 4 in months)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

good times
Worst gif of my life, I mislead so many. You may now cast me into the furnace.

Yeah Waypoint rules are quite clear for us to follow this stuff. I laughed at the thread personally but the bits like this force me as a mod into action:

Developers stink

ignoring anyone with a brain

AKA WTF Are you doing 343?

Juices you're also gathering a Waypoint history so a temp ban is likely mate. Anyhow anything else mod related please PM, I won't post about it in the wild again.

Nah, Juices would probably mop the floor with you in Halo.

And he changes his gamertag all the time because shits funny. TheBKCleansing, ForwardUntoDong, Lil Blain, all classics.

I think you missed the joke tone in my post mate. Juices and many others probably would mop the floor with me in terms of slaying alone. Me from Halo 3 days when I was at my peak? I seriously doubt that, it would be a close match IMO. These days, yep agreed my BR is flakey at times and I use my other skills to out do enemies. However even still I'll happy toot my own horn at objective, I read plays, move around a map and carry out CTF/bomb at a top tier still. It's my "pride and joy" in playing Halo but I never consider myself the best in the world or anything.

How many people are still playing it and how many are playing legendary? On top of that what are the odds of getting in a BR start match?

Depends if you search as a random or with a team. When you have a full party you pretty much control the votes all the time. The skill matching is pretty skewed these days but there are still quality matches to be found. I've been playing Halo 4 1-3 times a week since getting my X1, then again I really like Halo 4 in its current state. I don't love it but I like it. As for population it peaks at 15K-18K per day and if you're like me from Australia or outside of USA times expect less than 5K total across all playlists with BTB being the most populated. I play CTF and match games fairly quickly with less than 200 in the playlist.

Well HaloGAF has at least a couple Waypoint mods...

We haven't had too much trouble finding games in Team Slayer, though connections can be spotty since there aren't as many players to choose from. Team Slayer always has one choice with Infinity, Team Slayer (Infinity loadouts but no ordnance), and Legendary BRs. But they all can be the same map, or all different, or two of the same, so you can have to make the lovely choice between Infinity on Haven or Legendary BRs on Abandon.

Mistel

Banned
AR/Pistol starts will help to fix this. What was frustrating in Halo 2 and Halo 3 is seeing someone casually strolling to your base, you shooting them with One. Thousand. BR bullets
Because Bungie thought adding randomness and inconsistencies to a utility weapon in a SHOOTER was a good idea..
. as they just nonchalantly ignore your pellets and take your flag, arm the bomb, etc.

A 3/4 sk battle rifle that everyone has along with a toned down anniversary pistol at spawn would be nice. Ar and pistol starts are alright as long as everyone has a mid range weapon from the get go, if you can't get a on map ranged weapon you can still defend yourself.

Incontinent weapons remove the equal nature of the playing field that reduces the skill gap of the game with unconscious elements.

heckfu

Banned
That poster was made by our friend Laird for PAX Prime this year. I can't remember his friend's name but he got a buddy to mock up a bunch of Halo and Destiny related posters just to give out to all of us that went. Pretty awesome

Caayn

Thanks Ozzy Onya A2Z and Prinz Eugn. Kinda expected the connection issues do to the population combined with the matchmaking system. Might give it a try later this week, curious to see what has changed in the last couple of months. I'm a solo player, so I'll have to go in on good faith and be lucky enough that Legendary is selected.(knowing my luck chances aren't very high :p )

Vico

That poster was made by our friend Laird for PAX Prime this year. I can't remember his friend's name but he got a buddy to mock up a bunch of Halo and Destiny related posters just to give out to all of us that went. Pretty awesome

Oh, ok.
So I guess he also made these:
BboVh41CEAAfGQc.png:large

BbgExn-CUAIZ4py.png:large

They're all pretty cool.

Fuchsdh

Oh, ok.
So I guess he also made these:
BboVh41CEAAfGQc.png:large

BbgExn-CUAIZ4py.png:large

They're all pretty cool.

The artist is TDSpiral of HBO and (I dunno where else.) You've seen his stuff before, at past Child's Plays or elsewhere.

http://tdspiral.deviantart.com

(He's also one of the guests for Community Evolved.)

Too funny:
BbKifOBCEAEiOOT.jpg

Also I see a test bed of 360's and........an X1 for Halo Xbox One. Go on let a screenshot slip next time.

You know Microsoft isn't doing itself favors with their XB1 photography. It's a little larger in some dimensions than the original Xbox but overall feels more svelte in comparison; yet their advertising pics all make it look like a monolithic black box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom