• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Promethean Vision levels of duration" should never again be uttered in regards to Halo multiplayer, and "Promethean Vision" should be retconned out of the Halo canon.

Tawpgun

I don't mind radar, but the game definitely flows better without it. It's just faster.

That being said, Radar was necessary when Halo 4 first came out. The lack of Red X's meant you had 0 awareness of the battlefield. Now games without Radar are more fun.

HOWEVER, I will say that no radar with a micless team is brutal. Halo needs to have a form of spotting players. Mimic Shadowruns spotting system where you look at an enemy, press the D-pad, and it will say " [x] players on [y] location"

Example: You spot an enemy at the top ramp on Haven, either in text or through a voice announcement it will say "One enemy at Top Ramp" Not sure if we want to include things like weak/one shot and what weapon their holding as that could lead to just spamming the spot button for info, but its a possibility. If you want a fiction excuse, its the spartans AI that is making the observation.

On forge maps you could add call out labels to certain parts on maps, these would be pre-recorded lines of dialogue you could string together. Common ones would be colors, weapons, top, bottom, ramp, platform, etc.

TheOddOne

"Promethean Vision levels of duration" should never again be uttered in regards to Halo multiplayer, and "Promethean Vision" should be retconned out of the Halo canon.
"All data retrieved from Forerunner planet "Requiem" has been lost because of hardware malfunction. Nothing of value was lost." – UNSC logbook 10/10/2XXX

I narrative fixed the shit out of that.

Fuchsdh

Motion tracker isn't likely to go anywhere and shouldn't, although I think it should return to Reach style. Don't give me massive outlines of vehicles, as make elevation indicators more subtle (or at least subtle for other people: I find it much easier to read than Halo 4's tiny triangles up and down.)

I'm fine with a slower game because of it. Halo has never been Quake and never should be. Halo 4 game speed is plenty fast.

Vico

"All data retrieved from Forerunner planet "Requiem" has been lost because of hardware malfunction. Nothing of value was lost." – UNSC logbook 10/10/2XXX

I narrative fixed the shit out of that.

Hamish Beamish broke everything while cleaning up the Infinity's deck.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I would actually prefer the pre Halo Reach style radar where there are no elevation indicators. That will probably depend on whether or not Jetpack is in the game.

Havok

There's still a place for motion-based radar, but some tweaks should have happened over the years that just haven't. Tie the visual pulsing of the radar to how it updates enemy positioning and sychronize the pulses between every player in the game so everybody gets a refresh at the same time - you get some spatial information but players also have greater juking power between refreshes. More importantly, everyone knows when these refreshes happen for every single player on the map, so they can plan their movement accordingly. Immobile or crouching characters should not have perpetual radar silence, make them start pulsing just like any other player after a few seconds of immobility to reduce shotgun-corner behavior. If they want to maintain their stealth, they can move between the radar refresh periods to reset their "invis" time. Basically, make people work for their information. If someone's super smart and skilled at timing their movement, reward that.
Motion tracker isn't likely to go anywhere and shouldn't, although I think it should return to Reach style. Don't give me massive outlines of vehicles, as make elevation indicators more subtle (or at least subtle for other people: I find it much easier to read than Halo 4's tiny triangles up and down.)

I'm fine with a slower game because of it. Halo has never been Quake and never should be. Halo 4 game speed is plenty fast.
Elevation indicators were never a great idea to begin with. Get rid of them entirely. Force players to use their map knowledge to make judgement calls about positioning. It makes for way more interesting moments that you just don't get when minuscule amounts of effort give you near-perfect knowledge of enemy movement. If people can't figure out that a jetpack guy is above them in a single-level room, they're beyond saving and they need to be forced to pay some damn attention.

That being said, Radar was necessary when Halo 4 first came out. The lack of Red X's meant you had 0 awareness of the battlefield. Now games without Radar are more fun.

HOWEVER, I will say that no radar with a micless team is brutal. Halo needs to have a form of spotting players. Mimic Shadowruns spotting system where you look at an enemy, press the D-pad, and it will say " [x] players on [y] location"

CE didn't have Red X's and 99% of the games were without radar. Played perfectly fine (smaller maps, you could predict movement because of timing weapons/powerups, etc.), but obviously it was an improvement when Halo 2 introduced them.

That being said, Halo could use some form of spotting like in Gears of War. Make radar sound-based and add that, then voila.

So any gametype without radar plays like Quake? wtfuchsdhhsdhh

I don't even. I'm talking about the speed of engagements and not stalling fights because you have a wealth of information at your disposal combined with many ways to escape a fight (AA's, sprint, etc.).

Tawpgun

CE didn't have Red X's and 99% of the games were without radar. Played perfectly fine (smaller maps, you could predict movement because of timing weapons/powerups, etc.), but obviously it was an improvement when Halo 2 introduced them.

That being said, Halo could use some form of spotting like in Gears of War. Make radar sound-based and add that, then voila.

So any gametype without radar plays like Quake? wtfuchsdhhsdhh

I don't even.

That's not even comparable though because Halo CE wasn't an online game. You played it in the same room or on the same TV. You can screen look or actually communicate with others.

The whole point to red x's is to communicate something when others don't have a mic.

gAg CruSh3r

I would love to see a spotting system like Gears of war. Especially when other players don't use mics and or players are in party chat. Then there is some type of notification to other player where a enemy is at with out talking.

That's not even comparable though because Halo CE wasn't an online game. You played it in the same room or on the same TV. You can screen look or actually communicate with others.

The whole point to red x's is to communicate something when others don't have a mic.

Huh? I played it on XBC for 3 years with an entire community of players..

Also, I love Red X's lol; they're an obvious improvement. Like I said in my previous post, having a spotting feature could also go a long way to communicate that information to players without a mic over something like a motion tracker that covers most of the map.

It's almost as if you didn't read my post or knew about XBC. Almost.

I would love to see a spotting system like Gears of war. Especially when other players don't use mics and or players are in party chat. Then there is some type of notification to other player where a enemy is at with out talking.

Yup, and combine that with the visual feedback we used to have that let us know when our teammates were engaging in fights. This visual feedback was changed/lessened in Halo 4 for some reason.

It's like people forget about how previous Halo games worked (with those visual cues) and are close-minded to change or better ways to convey this information without abusive crutches that they've been accustomed to.

Tawpgun

Nah don't do the Gears 3 spotting system unless it spots the last known location of the player. I don't want a spotting system where the indicator follows the player for a bit. That's basically giving everyone promethean vision.

Either shadowrun location based, or it spots the location of the player at that instant.

IHaveIce

Banned

Halo Anniversary is faster than halo 4. It also has no bullshit sprint

wwm0nkey

Nah don't do the Gears 3 spotting system unless it spots the last known location of the player. I don't want a spotting system where the indicator follows the player for a bit. That's basically giving everyone promethean vision.

Either shadowrun location based, or it spots the location of the player at that instant.

I wish the Shadowrun spotting system was used in place of some of the current ones. Just tells you the general location but not exactly where they are at or moving.

Tawpgun, pls. Shit's nothing like the information PV provides to the player.

That being said, sure.. don't have it follow them; let them test it out and use whatever works best. I just like the idea of spotting in general as it can be reworked to be better balanced over motion tracker.

wwm0nkey

Oh also in somewhat relevant news, Halo 3 is still getting numbers changed/updated on the SteamDB where as CE/2 have been inactive for months.

Vico

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/12/xbox-live-to-get-original-video-programming-early-next-year/

So sounds like all of Xbox's original programming, particularly the Halo series, are taking longer than MS hoped (not at all that surprising.)

Take all the time in the world you need to do it right, guys.

It would be interesting to know where they are on the Web series.
Right now, we don't even know if they started screening or not (I'd guess no).

EDIT : wait, the way it's worded in the Variety article makes me think that Halo might be the first tv series to be launched on Xbone. I don't know what to believe.

Oh also in somewhat relevant news, Halo 3 is still getting numbers changed/updated on the SteamDB where as CE/2 have been inactive for months.

Soon.

Eo29eCg.png

Tawpgun

Tawpgun, pls. Shit's nothing like the information PV provides to the player.

That being said, sure.. don't have it follow them; let them test it out and use whatever works best. I just like the idea of spotting in general as it can be reworked to be better balanced over motion tracker.

It is like PV though. If the spotting works like battlefield or like GoW3 as I remember it, there will be a little icon visible to you of an enemy. You can line up your shot before you see them which is PV's greatest advantage.

Caayn

So where do I access my account download history on my box?

Obviously download history only shows the most recent things.
You've already downloaded the maps packs once yes? If so just go to the Xbox live store from the menu of Halo 4, there should be a separate menu section for it. Here you can simply redownload it. You may also try the normal marketplace.

I'm pretty sure that feature is only avalaible on the website, under the "my account" section.
That only works for your "main" console. Your download list will be send to that console ID + gamertag, not to your gamertag alone.

Fuchsdh

It is like PV though. If the spotting works like battlefield or like GoW3 as I remember it, there will be a little icon visible to you of an enemy. You can line up your shot before you see them which is PV's greatest advantage.
PV's big advantage to me isn't lining up a shot, it's going for a flag run and spotting the campers in the corner.

Gears of War's spotting is just a little icon over the enemy's head that lasts for a couple seconds.

PV tells you just about everything; what weapon they're using, grenades flying at you, what position they're facing, etc. etc. - It's no where near as broken. In fact, motion tracker as we have it in Halo 4 is also far more informative than spotting in Gears.

PV
Sprint
Motion tracker that covers a large distance and is very detailed
Other AA's to escape/survive fights (Jet Packs, Thrusters, Holograms, Camo, Regen.)
Halo has slow kill times so people can get shot once and run from a fight instead of engaging (this was less prevalent in CE because you stood a chance as an individual player if you were skillful enough)
The list goes on..

Halo firefights have became stale over the years, especially when you consider all the factors that led to this. Why do we also need an OP motion tracker when other games have proven better alternatives?

Vico

That only works for your "main" console. Your download list will be send to that console ID + gamertag, not to your gamertag alone.

Ok, I didn't know that.
And it's a good thing that you mention it, since I'll probably have two separates consoles to deal with in a year or so.

Mistel

Banned
Halo Anniversary is faster than halo 4. It also has no bullshit sprint

Anniversary is the best multiplayer since 3. Is that what those triangles are for on the motion radar in halo 4.

Didn't Waher suggest the imposter thing, it would be better than active camo.

daedalius

I hopped into Anniv last night like super late, other than the playlist having 33 people in it and my teammates being absolutely terrible; it was a lot of fun.

Halo 5 should be more like it, with better jumps and less momentum. Oh and thruster packs instead of ever having sprint.

incomingStormtroopergif.gif

I hopped into Anniv last night like super late, other than the playlist having 33 people in it and my teammates being absolutely terrible; it was a lot of fun.

Halo 5 should be more like it, with better jumps and less momentum. Oh and thruster packs instead of ever having sprint.

When that playlist first came out with a bloomless Pistol and a 3sk (quickly changed to a 4sk IIRC, but 8 shots in a clip is depressing), it was soooo fun. The Pistol was broken because it was hitscan and pretty much point-and-easy-kill (unlike CE.. Ozzy, Fyre), but it was still fun on those maps; best maps in the game and unfortunately "wasted" on Reach (RIP Headlong).

It's because of that playlist and the decrease in quality of launch maps with each release that I'd be fine with like 15 remakes for Halo 5 and ~7 new maps. I'm okay with that because at least we'd be playing on maps we know for sure are fun, granted the gameplay mechanics are fun as well.

And on the topic of maps, hopefully we get more than 15 maps this game because this <10 launch maps ain't cutting it..

When that playlist first came out with a bloomless Pistol and a 3sk (quickly changed to a 4sk IIRC, but 8 shots in a clip is depressing), it was soooo fun. The Pistol was broken because it was hitscan and pretty much point-and-easy-kill (unlike CE.. Ozzy, Fyre), but it was still fun on those maps; best maps in the game and unfortunately "wasted" on Reach (RIP Headlong).

It's because of that playlist and the decrease in quality of launch maps with each release that I'd be fine with like 15 remakes for Halo 5 and ~7 new maps. I'm okay with that because at least we'd be playing on maps we know for sure are fun, granted the gameplay mechanics are fun as well.

And on the topic of maps, hopefully we get more than 15 maps this game because this <10 launch maps ain't cutting it..

well Most of the maps in 4 were big team maps. so that needs to change as well.

Booties

Banned

Remakes are never worth it. They always make slight changes to FOV, movement speed, joystick sensitivity, gravity, player size, and map geometry that make the games play unintentionally bad. Then when you throw in the new style of gun play onto these old maps with new features it turns bad immediately. Halo Reach showed how it was bad, and Halo 4 solidified the fact with every map remake. I say they just stop making new maps altogether and make maps that fit the current iteration of the game.

IHaveIce

Banned

I agree with everything in this post. The Hitscan made it a little bit too good, still better than everything else in Reach
well Most of the maps in 4 were big team maps. so that needs to change as well.
Well but in Reach there was a huge lack of BTB maps, they never seemed to get the balance right again after the first 2 games.
Fixed that for you :p

Anniversary was fun it showed with the right changes halo could be fun again. Halo 5 multiplayer should be based of the anniversary settings with a BR and a chopper.
Ah sorry, didn't know that you are still kind of new for me :(.

I don't mind radar, but the game definitely flows better without it. It's just faster.

Example: You spot an enemy at the top ramp on Haven, either in text or through a voice announcement it will say "One enemy at Top Ramp" Not sure if we want to include things like weak/one shot and what weapon their holding as that could lead to just spamming the spot button for info, but its a possibility. If you want a fiction excuse, its the spartans AI that is making the observation.

On forge maps you could add call out labels to certain parts on maps, these would be pre-recorded lines of dialogue you could string together. Common ones would be colors, weapons, top, bottom, ramp, platform, etc.

If you want to make it simpler, just go back to Reach levels of callouts and add in trait zone-style callout zones that can be added in Forge. From there, spotting would make a bleep bloop and it'd display "[gamertag] is at [callout]."

Striker

Anniversary is the best multiplayer since 3. Is that what those triangles are for on the motion radar in halo 4.

Didn't Waher suggest the imposter thing, it would be better than active camo.
The jump isn't the greatest but I like a good portion of what Anny settings offer. Flag and Assault also quite fun. Lack of maps is a stinker. Also you never get to see Headlong (except Snipers because it adds 'variety') or Timberland because of... decisions.

Mistel

Banned
Halo Reach showed how it was bad, and Halo 4 solidified the fact with every map remake. I say they just stop making new maps altogether and make maps that fit the current iteration of the game.

A healthy balance between remakes and is good, solely remakes isn't good some maps are awful.

I agree with everything in this post. The Hitscan made it a little bit too good, still better than everything else in Reach

Well but in Reach there was a huge lack of BTB maps, they never seemed to get the balance right again after the first 2 games.

Ah sorry, didn't know that you are still kind of new for me :(.

Balance could have improved especially of the reach pistol being hit scan, but AA less game types with on map pickups were to die for.

Don't worry about it :)

The jump isn't the greatest but I like a good portion of what Anny settings offer. Flag and Assault also quite fun. Lack of maps is a stinker. Also you never get to see Headlong (except Snipers because it adds 'variety') or Timberland because of... decisions.

Jump height was kinda meh, objective was fun unlike you I had pretty much games on timberland and headlong. The only map I didn't like was the covenant one.

Tawpgun

If you want to make it simpler, just go back to Reach levels of callouts and add in trait zone-style callout zones that can be added in Forge. From there, spotting would make a bleep bloop and it'd display "[gamertag] is at [callout]."

That's how I was thinking it would work. A trait zone you define, and then you choose what to call it using a bunch of pre-recorded dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom