• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistel

Banned
Another backslapping, congratulatory puff piece without a shred of honest criticism or even admittance of Spop's numerous failures.

I'm sure that looks great to the PR office but it's meaningless to anyone that actually sat through Spops beginning to end, despite how it turned out.
That speedy quality PR :p. Spartan ops was one of the least rewarding experiences in halo 4, dull missions and horrible characters. The idea was good (still worse than firefight)but not the execution in any measure of success.

Vico

Bonne année from France, HaloGAF.
I have this crazy feeling 2014 might actually turn out to be amazing. Wait. And see.

TheOddOne

Just another reason America is the best, 2014 is not already ruined!
523878-homer-simpson.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
If there's one thing i'm really disappointed in Halo 4, it is Spartan Ops. SO much potential...
That said, i rather 343 wouldn't bring back Firefight. Unless they can make it fun survival mode that is also matchmaking-friendly like Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. Limited rounds but "high" difficulty (at first anyway) and addictive reward system.
(Reach Firefight sucks and ODST firefight with its eternal games don't work well in MM)

Ataxia

Award for first casualty of 2014 goes to Deputy Moonman.
RIP in peace. It's so easy to make a comment in gaming side that gets interpreted as "MS shilling" or whatever they're calling it. Easiest thing is to just avoid threads like those

Gosh BF4 is making me frustrated. Great game, but it's almost unplayable for me at the moment. Maps aren't even loading... Dat 2 year dev cycle at work, eh.

Hope Halo 5's development is going a bit better. I have my doubts about 343i rushing a fully fledged sequel out so soon... But I could just be paranoid.

Omni

If there's one thing i'm really disappointed in Halo 4, it is Spartan Ops. SO much potential...
That said, i rather 343 wouldn't bring back Firefight. Unless they can make it fun survival mode that is also matchmaking-friendly like Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. Limited rounds but "high" difficulty (at first anyway) and addictive reward system.
(Reach Firefight sucks and ODST firefight with its eternal games don't work well in MM)
Reach firefight was amazing... Provided you weren't playing arcade (343i were the ones who changed the playlists to only have that, weren't they?). Mode needed refinement, not to be scraped altogether,

make firefight like ME3 multiplayer and keep the Halo 4 shit in FF. then let multiplayer recover from the pandering.

Woorloog

Banned
Reach firefight was amazing... Provided you weren't playing arcade (343i were the ones who changed the playlists to only have that, weren't they?). Mode needed refinement, not to be scraped altogether,

Reach Firefight is utter crap no matter what mode you play in it.
It was only good for grinding credits from challenges.
The maps were shit, and the inhumanly accurate and fast AI (no pun intended) with high health made the gameplay horrible (the same problem that makes Reach campaign so shitty gameplay-wise, compared to other Halos). Oh, great, a skirmisher headshotted me from 200 meters away with a needle rifle while running.
I tried to make my own settings that were like ODST firefight but that didn't work either.

It was a fucking boring shooting gallery, not a proper mode like Mass Effect 3's multiplayer or a real survival mode like Marathon 2 Durandal's survival* or ODST's Firefight. Oh and the former is better than the latter because it had ending that was very hard to reach.

*Was the mode exclusive to XBLA Marathon 2 Durandal? I haven't played the series on a PC

Woorloog

Banned
Krogan sentinel or geth infriltrator was great as well, the unlock system always screwed me over though. It was my reason for not playing anymore.
Hah, the system made me to play even more. Very addictive, gambling-like.
Of course i've had classes i like for a long time so i haven't gotten bored.
BTW, are there still HaloGAFers who do play ME3 MP?

IHaveIce

Banned
RIP in peace. It's so easy to make a comment in gaming side that gets interpreted as "MS shilling" or whatever they're calling it. Easiest thing is to just avoid threads like those

Gosh BF4 is making me frustrated. Great game, but it's almost unplayable for me at the moment. Maps aren't even loading... Dat 2 year dev cycle at work, eh.

Hope Halo 5's development is going a bit better. I have my doubts about 343i rushing a fully fledged sequel out so soon... But I could just be paranoid.
He wasn't banned for ms shilling, he is banned for thread shitting.
Though RIP I can understand his anger, gaming side is almost unable to breathe with sony's cock in their mouth.

I give it 2 years till it calms down. Hopefully till then there will be some good games on the next gen consoles.

I am not sure how many matches of BF4 I still can endure before going apeshit

Mistel

Banned
Reach Firefight is utter crap no matter what mode you play in it.
It was only good for grinding credits from challenges.
The maps were shit, and the inhumanly accurate and fast AI (no pun intended) with high health made the gameplay horrible (the same problem that makes Reach campaign so shitty gameplay-wise, compared to other Halos). Oh, great, a skirmisher headshotted me from 200 meters away with a needle rifle while running.
I tried to make my own settings that were like ODST firefight but that didn't work either.
It was a fucking boring shooting gallery, not a proper mode like Mass Effect 3's multiplayer or a real survival mode like Marathon 2 Durandal's survival* or ODST's Firefight. Oh and the former is better than the latter because it had ending that was very hard to reach.

*Was the mode exclusive to XBLA Marathon 2 Durandal? I haven't played the series on a PC
Survival was included in Durandal when it was released on XBLA not sure about the IOS version including it though. But if firefight was to return I'd like to see a blend of the maps we had in ODST, along with the ODST style base game and reach's megalo options.

He wasn't banned for ms shilling, he is banned for thread shitting.
Though RIP I can understand his anger, gaming side is almost unable to breathe with sony's cock in their mouth.
I give it 2 years till it calms down. Hopefully till then there will be some good games on the next gen consoles.

I am not sure how many matches of BF4 I still can endure before going apeshit
tumblr_m0covga4FV1qgcra2o1_500.gif

I doubt it will calm down in 2 years all it takes is new versions of the consoles (like the slim versions) or price cuts to be announced and it will flare up again. As for EA and DICE i hope they don't screw up the battlefront game.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Wanted to get customs going again on Saturday but I gotta go to my friends going away party. Next week!

edit: actually we could do Sunday if people are down?

Question for halogaf's 3D modelers (and I know you're out there): how hard is it to learn the basics of 3D modeling, and what's a good program to start with? I've tried using trials for a few programs before and I haven't had any idea what the hell I was doing.

Bonus question: is it difficult at all (let's ignore keyframing and whatnot for now) to add in Promethean-style "orphaned parts" on 3D models? That is, stuff that isn't immediately attached to the core components. I don't have anything substantial planned with regards to floaty stuff - think closer to Eve's arms in WALL-E.

1394384-eve_wall_e.jpg

Mistel

Banned
Not much as happened.

Yesterday's numbers:

zD8jZwg.png

The population peaks and troughs quite alot depending on those playing, most likely due to time zones. Sometimes when I play there is about 5 to 6 thousand players but today it is about 16,000 ish according to the online population counter on waypoint.

The population peaks and troughs quite alot depending on those playing, most likely due to time zones. Sometimes when I play there is about 5 to 6 thousand players but today it is about 16,000 ish according to the online population counter on waypoint.

People are probably off for New Year's Day, too.

Kinda crazy to think that of all of the population plateaus, Halo 4's is only fifteen thousand.

wwm0nkey

It would also have to be free to play... and an excellent game.

Still say Halo MP as a F2P shooter and as a platform for Halo MP rather than a new release every year would be the best thing 343 could do.

Just sell stupid cosmetic stuff and you will be all good.

Ghazi

Halo F2P. Believe.

I wish.

tbh I think a F2P Halo would be a huge success, considering the $60 titles already sell huge amounts of copies. The only problem there are the limited monetization options for 343i, as they (if they didn't want to bs people) could really on sell cosmetic items (which there is a good market for that kind of thing: Dota 2). Unfortunately, after they locked armor abilities behind a paywall, and then didn't give them everyone when they said they would, I have a hard time trusting them to do this properly.

A f2p Halo would be pretty godlike though, if it was great it would push Gold subscriptions a lot. Another bonus for 343, assuming they included Forge, is they would have a fair supply of new content coming. Although, they could really keep F2P Halo in the spotlight for a long time, as long as they support it well.

Unfortunately it would probably compete with future mainline titles, which is why it isn't happening. Although, I want to imagine F2P Halo being OG Halo based, with 343 continuing with their AA and perk stuff in mainline titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom