• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadNames

Banned
Not much as happened.

Yesterday's numbers:

zD8jZwg.png

I still cannot get over that MASSIVE drop off.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
tbh I think a F2P Halo would be a huge success, considering the $60 titles already sell huge amounts of copies. The only problem there are the limited monetization options for 343i, as they (if they didn't want to bs people) could really on sell cosmetic items (which there is a good market for that kind of thing: Dota 2). Unfortunately, after they locked armor abilities behind a paywall, and then didn't give them everyone when they said they would, I have a hard time trusting them to do this properly.

A f2p Halo would be pretty godlike though, if it was great it would push Gold subscriptions a lot. Another bonus for 343, assuming they included Forge, is they would have a fair supply of new content coming. Although, they could really keep F2P Halo in the spotlight for a long time, as long as they support it well.

Unfortunately it would probably compete with future mainline titles, which is why it isn't happening. Although, I want to imagine F2P Halo being OG Halo based, with 343 continuing with their AA and perk stuff in mainline titles.

I think there's room for both, especially if they differentiate themselves properly. The campaign and mainline story is what sells Halo titles the most still. Pretty sure there's a stat out there that mentions that the majority of people who buy Halo games don't even sign into Xbox Live with it. Pretty wild.

wwm0nkey

Here is how to make Halo F2P work

-Sell armor for $1-$2 (Also unlockable though A LOT of hours of play)
-Sell weapon skins for $1 (same as armor for unlocking)
-Add in a map MAKER and let the community make full fledged maps
-Give people the option to donate money to the map creators if wanted and have 343 take a cut of that.
-Have a Tournament donations thing by packing all of the best community maps together and have most of the profits go to funding a big tournament payout and have 343 take a small cut
(map makers will also get a small cut while this is running)

I'll take my check now 343.

Ghazi

Anniversary where it is nice and vibrant makes Halo 4 look bland by comparison.
I was playing Anniversary recently, damn it looked fine.
I think there's room for both, especially if they differentiate themselves properly. The campaign and mainline story is what sells Halo titles the most still. Pretty sure there's a stat out there that mentions that the majority of people who buy Halo games don't even sign into Xbox Live with it. Pretty wild.
I agree, they could a lot and the idea has room for potential.
Frankie, I hope you're reading this!

Really, I'm surprised by that info? I knew there was a large chunk of players who buy it for campaign, but a majority don't even sign into Live? Wow.
Here is how to make Halo F2P work

-Sell armor for $1-$2 (Also unlockable though A LOT of hours of play)
-Sell weapon skins for $1 (same as armor for unlocking)
-Add in a map MAKER and let the community make full fledged maps
-Give people the option to donate money to the map creators if wanted and have 343 take a cut of that.
-Have a Tournament donations thing by packing all of the best community maps together and have most of the profits go to funding a big tournament payout and have 343 take a small cut
(map makers will also get a small cut while this is running)

I'll take my check now 343.

0083_7mak.gif

Reposting for the new page.

some frosty asshole said:
Question for halogaf's 3D modelers (and I know you're out there): how hard is it to learn the basics of 3D modeling, and what's a good program to start with? I've tried using trials for a few programs before and I haven't had any idea what the hell I was doing.

Bonus question: is it difficult at all (let's ignore keyframing and whatnot for now) to add in Promethean-style "orphaned parts" on 3D models? That is, stuff that isn't immediately attached to the core components. I don't have anything substantial planned with regards to floaty stuff - think closer to Eve's arms in WALL-E.

1394384-eve_wall_e.jpg

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
tbh I think a F2P Halo would be a huge success, considering the $60 titles already sell huge amounts of copies. The only problem there are the limited monetization options for 343i, as they (if they didn't want to bs people) could really on sell cosmetic items (which there is a good market for that kind of thing: Dota 2). Unfortunately, after they locked armor abilities behind a paywall, and then didn't give them everyone when they said they would, I have a hard time trusting them to do this properly.

A f2p Halo would be pretty godlike though, if it was great it would push Gold subscriptions a lot. Another bonus for 343, assuming they included Forge, is they would have a fair supply of new content coming. Although, they could really keep F2P Halo in the spotlight for a long time, as long as they support it well.

Unfortunately it would probably compete with future mainline titles, which is why it isn't happening. Although, I want to imagine F2P Halo being OG Halo based, with 343 continuing with their AA and perk stuff in mainline titles.

I think they could make a Halo MP game free for all Xbox Live Gold members and sell Campaign DLC packs. That way, they wouldn't have to include the multiplayer in the game if they want to do something like ODST or CEA. That way, they could also sell standalone discs in retailers for the Campaigns at a lower price than it is currently, which could get more people into Halo.

And maybe also expansion packs instead of making a new game, with more maps and other stuff.

wwm0nkey

Yeah, it's a pretty successful formula. Sorry, I used the wrong football gif, this is what I wanted:
0100_sm2j.gif

Thats better :p

but seriously just make weapon skins, maps or armor packs, sell them and have funds go to a big thing like the Global Championship and some of it to the developer. They can make some too and make straight profit off of it or have the community make stuff and get money from them doing nothing.

Best kind of F2P model in my opinion.

Vico

I guess if IHaveIce doesn't have windows 8.1 I would be interested in it. I wouldn't want to steal it from anybody, though.

Juan

Reposting for the new page.

In fact, it's not that hard to get into 3D modeling. The basics are easy to learn if you read some tuts on CG Tuts+, because the basics are the same on every software you will ever use to create something in 3D (at least for modeling, not talking about the texturing part).

I learned on 3Ds Max, such a nice software and easy to practice, and now, I'm using Cinema4D because I do a lot more motion design than 3D modeling (in terms of characters modeling for example).

For the bonus question, it's as easy as create a group of layers in photoshop. You could imagine that you can "merge" 3D object into one group, link them together so they could move without the need to be attached to the core components.

In fact, it's not that hard to get into 3D modeling. The basics are easy to learn if you read some tuts on CG Tuts+, because the basics are the same on every software you will ever use to create something in 3D (at least for modeling, not talking about the texturing part).

I learned on 3Ds Max, such a nice software and easy to practice, and now, I'm using Cinema4D because I do a lot more motion design than 3D modeling (in terms of characters modeling for example).

For the bonus question, it's as easy as create a group of layers in photoshop. You could imagine that you can "merge" 3D object into one group, link them together so they could move without the need to be attached to the core components.

Oh, so it's just like using the Unite pathfinder tool in Illustrator. I am actually going to try and learn to animate 3D models so that my vision or whatever you want to call it comes out fluid, but I'm still on the fence on learning how to model.

Do you have any examples of your work up, by any chance?

Ghazi

Wahrer is now sexually attracted to you.

Also, what are your thoughts on Blender and Maya?

DeadNames

Banned
I think locking things like weapon skins and armor skins, etc would be a better thing to hide behind a paywall. If most of the armor is locked, there's not much incentive to play (if there's no ranking system). I get that you're supposed to play the game because its fun, but grinding for things certainly helps fuel addiction.

Juan

Oh, so it's just like using the Unite pathfinder tool in Illustrator. I am actually going to try and learn to animate 3D models so that my vision or whatever you want to call it comes out fluid, but I'm still on the fence on learning how to model.

Do you have any examples of your work up, by any chance?

It will be a pleasure to show you my works when I'll be back in France! For now, the only online thing I remember is an old logo I did for HaloDestiny (it was in 2D with illustrator, I made it in 3D and animated it for the new year, in 2013). A bit old but I guess it can helpto wait before see more stuff I did :

Picture : http://cloud.halodestiny.net/index_logo.png
In motion : http://cloud.halodestiny.net/base_logo_2.mp4

Vico

It will be a pleasure to show you my works when I'll be back in France! For now, the only online thing I remember is an old logo I did for HaloDestiny (it was in 2D with illustrator, I made it in 3D and animated it for the new year, in 2013). A bit old but I guess it can helpto wait before see more stuff I did :

Picture : http://cloud.halodestiny.net/index_logo.png
In motion : http://cloud.halodestiny.net/base_logo_2.mp4

Such a sexy logo.
I'm not biased. At all.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Are there any big gaming events/conventions going on soon? Anything like PAX or so? If not, than yeah about March is when we'll get a Game Informer cover story or something along those lines.

I feel like we might see something sooner rather than later. I would imagine that MS wants March to be owned by Titanfall. So January and February to plant the seed followed by a full blowout later on. Maybe.

There's also PAX East. Could see a panel and new trailer there. Highly doubt anything playable. I would be shocked. But who knows!

heckfu

Banned
I feel like we might see something sooner rather than later. I would imagine that MS wants March to be owned by Titanfall. So January and February to plant the seed followed by a full blowout later on. Maybe.

There's also PAX East. Could see a panel and new trailer there. Highly doubt anything playable. I would be shocked. But who knows!

why you gotta look so grumpy in your avvy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom